• 20%

67 46.53%
  • 25%

17 11.81%
  • other: explain

23 15.97%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How much do you normally tip?

Depends on how well they wait on me. If they do a bad job than NOT A DAMN THING ! !! !

Senior Member | IA Veteran GSRteg®'s Avatar

Whatever my tip calculator states.

i usually tip 15% if the service is average but most of the time more if the service is good. if you suck, the only tip you'll get from me is "better luck next time" lol jp 10% if you suck

before i was a server i didnt tip for shit , now i tip good ,,,

Z Atlanta Founder
    Shameless Productions Photography and Graphic Design

it makes no difference what you do, do it as hard as you can for as long as you can and never give up - Devon Currie-rip-12/14/08

i always leave 3, always
    1991 Acura Integra
    1998 Toyota Corolla

I dont even read old threads - wonder how I came across this one...?!

IDK about a dang percentage...I wasn't good at math so I always do between $5 and $10. I used to be a waitress so I know how it feels to live off tips & a minimum wage paycheck.
    28 . female . I has VTEC . hondachik .

S.I.C. Chic (Split Image Customs II)

resident honda hater redrumracer's Avatar

depends on the type of restaurant

something like huddle house $2 by myself or $1 per person if im paying for them

a nice joint normally atleast $5 if by myself and then up from there if with others. unless the service is absolutely shitty, then they get bumped down to huddle house tips.

i used to tip real well but now my pockets aren't so deep being in college so i tip 10-15%

my pay is based on tips so i always leave a good tip because i know how it is

Quote Originally Posted by frankXVX
    my pay is based on tips so i always leave a good tip because i know how it is
    what if they do a bad job ?

IA Member

i usally base my tip on how good she looks

140 on one wheel

i usually pay 2 dollars no more then 3 or 4
    I do rb20 and rb25 wiring into s13 and s14's 300.00 shipped 24hr turn around turn ket start guaranteed! PM me for more details!

if it's a full service restaurant 15% if service isn't too great, 20% if it's acceptable, then if the server makes us have a great time or comps some stuff just however generous I can be

if i go to a buffet place where they just refill drinks and it's not an expensive place i'll just leave a buck or 1.50
    72 Datsun 510 goon SR
    83 Datsun Maxima RB
    80 Toyota Cressida 4M

MOST HATED

I usually tip well, 5 bucks at the very minimum, 10 for good service and upwards for great service. It also depends on the tab amount.

I always tip over 20%. Service has to really suck ass for me to tip a penny. I'm in the service industry so I know how people can have off nights. I just work with them and try to be the "cool" table to ease the server's strain.

www.jasontbarker.com speedminded's Avatar

I'll tease with 10% before attempting to give her the whole thing.

All based on the service and how I feel.

If a waiter is always refilling, checking on the table, and enjoying his job, I tip the Bullshit standard of 15% plus because this is America, lol.

If the waiter is "just" doing his job, I will leave him under 15%. Why? I feel that if he is not enjoying his job, my shitty tipping will drive him to find a job/career that he likes. Yes I said it, and I mean it.

i tip according to service. I dont care what type of restaurant.

i left a 50% tip at waffle house because the server was really good. I did the same at Ihop. I left under 15% at chilis because the waiter screwed up my order, forgot my food the second time, and never refilled my drink. I waited over 45 minutes to eat my food while everyone else was finished eating. If the waiter performs well as does the kitchen, i tip generously. If somevody does an average job, they get an average tip.

i usually leave about tree bucks, with the economy like this, NOTHING sorry

Quote Originally Posted by £G2♣
    i usually leave about tree bucks, with the economy like this, NOTHING sorry
    Then don't eat out! Servers make less than minimum wage so they deserve an appropriate tip if they do their job correctly.

I usually tip 18-20% if the server does a decent job. If they do better, then I tip them more. If the service is shitty, I have no problem giving a small tip or zero tip.
    UGA: Everybody is laughing at us this year.

Quote Originally Posted by nreggie454
    Then don't eat out! Servers make less than minimum wage so they deserve an appropriate tip if they do their job correctly.
    Says who?

Quote Originally Posted by AirMax95
    Says who?
    When it comes to the specific jobs that must be paid at the minimum wage rate, it is important for employers to be aware that not all jobs are covered. For example, if an employee is in a tipped position, such as a server in a restaurant, then the employer is only required to pay that employee at a rate of $2.13 per hour.
    http://www.humanresourceblog.com/200...-requirements/

Good, but where does it say that the patron MUST tip the said employee? Where does it say that they deserve an appropriate tip if they do their job correctly?

See where I am going?

the best is when they suck ass so you tak a FULL cup of water and usually the drink menu, or some other thin, laminated menu that fits over the top of the cup. then you pick the cup up and hold the menu on TIGHTLY so it seals, slide it onto the table, and then quickly slide the menu out from under the cup. if done correctly, all the water will stay in the cup until they go to pick it up. lulz will ensue.
    The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

I haven't really read everyone's reply but I am currently a server at Red Lobster so I will give my opinion.

First off yes, servers are humans and yes, we also have bad days too just like you do so it may be hard to 'act' happy to your guests & put on a fake smile consistently especially if you also have another table that is trying your every nerve and being needy as can be. We do not intentionally mess up orders, they tend to happen from time to time when entering food items for various people simultaneously.

Ok so restaurants like Red Lobster which are full service, meaning: drinks, appetizer, biscuits + salads, soups, meal, accompaniments, and dessert I would tip at a minimum of 15% and if the server gave bad service (meaning no communication, rude etc) then 10%.

I actually notice often that when I go to expensive restaurants they do a lot less work than I do at Red Lobster as a server and they're food are already more expensive and the customers that go there already know how to act so they get tipped well (20%+). Buffets I'd say 10%-15% since at most they only have to bring & take away plates and drink refills.

(*Adding more*) Oh, so yeah as a server we do only get paid $2.13/hr which we rarely ever see since it pays for taxes so it definitely sucks to work on a table for 30-60+ mins and receive absolutely nothing; it's the worse feeling to come to the table after the customer leaves, open up the check book & see not even a dime, and it sucks because you basically just worked for free. I've been stiffed a few times and have received a mere 1-5% tip also. Have had 1 'dine & ditch' (which you get a write up for). All I have to say is that this is the most stressful jobs (out of 7) I have ever had; And yes I do have fun a lot of the times too.

Watch the movie "Waiting", it's a comedy movie that will open up your eyes a little
    Last edited by KevinT707; 03-03-2009 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AirMax95
    Good, but where does it say that the patron MUST tip the said employee? Where does it say that they deserve an appropriate tip if they do their job correctly?

See where I am going?
    Yes, I definitely understand that there is no law saying that a patron must tip their server, but it is something that is customary if the server does his job well. He spends time making sure your meal went well under the impression that he will get tipped accordingly, so you should do so IMO. You don't have to, but I wouldn't expect nearly the same service if you went back to that place and got the same server.

Here's a similar situation: if you call some of your buddies to come over and help work on your car, you don't HAVE to provide beer, but it is greatly appreciated when you do.

Quote Originally Posted by nreggie454
    Yes, I definitely understand that there is no law saying that a patron must tip their server, but it is something that is customary if the server does his job well. He spends time making sure your meal went well under the impression that he will get tipped accordingly, so you should do so IMO. You don't have to, but I wouldn't expect nearly the same service if you went back to that place and got the same server.

Here's a similar situation: if you call some of your buddies to come over and help work on your car, you don't HAVE to provide beer, but it is greatly appreciated when you do.

I am giving you crap, lol. I tip more because I am a nice person, not because it is customary. I posted a rant in the other thread about it. You are providing a service, not doing a favor.

Friends are a completely different story.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123