Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [email protected]!

IA Member

Quote Originally Posted by 1.8t
    Ehh, good question. I love them, they fit great and I got a great deal on them. Here was my reasoning for going with the Kooks. 1. They offer 1 7/8" runners...LG only comes in 1 3/4" and there was some debate on the LS3 as to whether the 1 3/4" hole partially blocked some of the exhaust port. It turns out that they didn't, but I had already ordered. 2. I eventually plan on caming the car and it should sit close to 500rwhp. The 1 7/8" runner size will be an advantage as of this point for a 5~10whp more I would guess. 3. I got the headers from a vendor that was offering a FREE Jethot coating. I refuse to run uncoated headers for a number of reasons, but I won't get into that. # 3 was the biggest reason. The price was better and they came coated. If the LG headers would come coated and for the same price, I would probably have bought them. I do believe they are a slightly superior design, but not for the money I would have had to had paid over the Kooks. Judging from my mph, I don't think it was a bad decision. BTW, are you on corvette forum? I can't figure out where I recognize your name from.
    sorry, just saw your question... yes i'm on CF as well...
    i was recently trying to sell my vette, but luckily my other car sold this past weekend, so now i will most likely keep the vette. there's just no other car that comes close for the money...

great time btw... i've been having the hardest time launching this car with the stock runcrap tires.... i'm still looking for the sub-2 60' time... i think the best i could muster was a 2.2 or so...

what track do you usually go to?? for some reason i ran better at commerce than i did at SDR... i was wheel hopping all over the place at SDR...
    but then again, i only have a lil ol' ls2. =P
    Last edited by ekim81; 01-31-2008 at 01:40 PM.

Certified Gearhead

I have found a way to launch around wheelhop for the most part......or at least minimize it. I usually run at mmpdragracing.com. It is never crowded and there is no tech. It usually isn't prepped that well but new owners have taken over now and they are doing a much better job, hence my 1.94 60' on stock runcraps. Its further away than both of the "local" tracks but the number of runs I can get is just phenominal.

08 C6 Z06 - intake/t-stat - 478whp/446wtq

I would go for the Kooks, as well. I have Stainless Works on mine, but they are very expensive. I have heard some of the LG's have cracked, because they use a very thin metal. Stainless Works uses the thickest metal (according to MTI). But I have heard nothing but good things about Kooks. Most people who put headers on a Corvette use Kooks.

Certified Gearhead

I have been very pleased with mine so far. They required a slight tweek of some hard lines on the passenger side header, but other than that they fit PERFECT.

Ehh, good question. I love them, they fit great and I got a great deal on them. Here was my reasoning for going with the Kooks. 1. They offer 1 7/8" runners...LG only comes in 1 3/4" and there was some debate on the LS3 as to whether the 1 3/4" hole partially blocked some of the exhaust port. It turns out that they didn't, but I had already ordered. 2. I eventually plan on caming the car and it should sit close to 500rwhp. The 1 7/8" runner size will be an advantage as of this point for a 5~10whp more I would guess. 3. I got the headers from a vendor that was offering a FREE Jethot coating. I refuse to run uncoated headers for a number of reasons, but I won't get into that. # 3 was the biggest reason. The price was better and they came coated. If the LG headers would come coated and for the same price, I would probably have bought them. I do believe they are a slightly superior design, but not for the money I would have had to had paid over the Kooks. Judging from my mph, I don't think it was a bad decision. BTW, are you on corvette forum? I can't figure out where I recognize your name from.
    bolt-ons and a cam will only get you in the 430-460rwhp mark depending on cam. you will hafta do heads to.

2006 mustang gt
    gears
    bolt-ons

Quote Originally Posted by onebadgt
    bolt-ons and a cam will only get you in the 430-460rwhp mark depending on cam. you will hafta do heads to.
    really, i thought with the new head on the ls3's they were capable of more with the big cam?!?! they were supposed to be way above the level of the ls6. lmk if you got the low on this!!
    00 GSR 13.33@114 (355/304), 92 LX 5.0(twin somethings), 02 MTI(TX) ZO7 427 (540/518)sold, bmw 318w/2jz(driftn), 93 Supra TT Hardtop, 04 ford excursion, 55 chevy cruiser

MabletonSpeedShop member

MCE Mafia supporting member
    honored to be MCE Dec'08 rotm
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=RNQN9i4Be-kvette mtn run
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjgbxbGyN5A poopra 1st 9sec 1/4

Certified Gearhead

Incorrect. The LS3 heads are great heads and are not really worth touching unless your over 500whp. Here are some dyno's on STREETABLE cams, not giant surging beasts, on untouched LS3 heads. First link is 2 separate cars with different versions of LG's G6X-3 cam. Second link is Carteks contribution. I promise I know what I am talking about, at least with regards to LS3's

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1908709

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ghlight=cartek

Incorrect. The LS3 heads are great heads and are not really worth touching unless your over 500whp. Here are some dyno's on STREETABLE cams, not giant surging beasts, on untouched LS3 heads. First link is 2 separate cars with different versions of LG's G6X-3 cam. Second link is Carteks contribution. I promise I know what I am talking about, at least with regards to LS3's

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1908709

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ghlight=cartek
    wow, thats very impressive, i would like to know the cam specs because most the c6s ive seen that are cam only are below 450whp without at least a fast intake and throttle body, but most i have seen were ls2 and like 234 or 236 cams, not 24x/24x. i did not know the ls3 would pick up that much more tho. thats awesom

2006 mustang gt
    gears
    bolt-ons

The Red One

wow, thats very impressive, i would like to know the cam specs because most the c6s ive seen that are cam only are below 450whp without at least a fast intake and throttle body, but most i have seen were ls2 and like 234 or 236 cams, not 24x/24x. i did not know the ls3 would pick up that much more tho. thats awesom
    brian this is not the regular c6 motor its new for 2008 6.2 liter i believe

Certified Gearhead

Remember the LS3 is 6.2l and has a whole HOST of upgrades over an 6l LS2. If you want I can link you to all the improvements. The heads on this car are VERY good and are equivalent to having a nice set of worked over heads in regards to the LS2. That is the biggest advantage this motor has. CNC'd LS3 heads only net 10hp or so. Many people are using stock LS3 heads on their head/cam LS2's now because they are much less expensive than really worked aftermarket heads and are almost as good. Pretty cool stuff

IA Member

Remember the LS3 is 6.2l and has a whole HOST of upgrades over an 6l LS2. If you want I can link you to all the improvements. The heads on this car are VERY good and are equivalent to having a nice set of worked over heads in regards to the LS2. That is the biggest advantage this motor has. CNC'd LS3 heads only net 10hp or so. Many people are using stock LS3 heads on their head/cam LS2's now because they are much less expensive than really worked aftermarket heads and are almost as good. Pretty cool stuff
    the ls3's are pretty gangsta.

a whole bunch of people were really pissed cause a i/c/e + tune ls3 will make more rwhp than a ls6 z06 with the same mods and some even with the addition of heads also
    00 GSR 13.33@114 (355/304), 92 LX 5.0(twin somethings), 02 MTI(TX) ZO7 427 (540/518)sold, bmw 318w/2jz(driftn), 93 Supra TT Hardtop, 04 ford excursion, 55 chevy cruiser

MabletonSpeedShop member

Certified Gearhead

My bone stock LS3 made more whp than 2 of my friends with intake, headers, exhaust, and tune LS6 C5 Z06's :idb: . I also out trapped them and ran a better ET than both of them at MMP, again, when I was bone stock. It only gets worse when you start to mod. An LS3 on the same day at the same track as an LS6 should be faster with the right driver. They have enough of a power advantage to overcome the weight difference, you just have to learn to drive around TM.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/e...3700c0b5a7.htm some of the guys over at musclecar-evolution went to the track and came back happy. thought the vette guys in here would like the vid!!

lmk what you guys think

MabletonSpeedShop member

^The Vett and the black Cobra are freakin crazy!
    Quote Originally Posted by csmiths View Post
    He has an sr with cams and shit

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12