Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you believe we are alone in this Universe???

IA KING

Default Do you believe we are alone in this Universe???

Do you believe we are alone in this Universe??? What is your take, life exsisting on other planets, galaxys, & planes would defiantely throw a wrench to the bible and everything many have grown up to beleive. I did hear on the last space expedition to Mars they confirmed water molecules in rocks/salt which would say there is single cell organisms. That is the most basic form of life but it is life none the less.

Proud to be Retrosexual Jaimecbr900's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by admin
    Do you believe we are alone in this Universe??? What is your take, life exsisting on other planets, galaxys, & planes would defiantely throw a wrench to the bible and everything many have grown up to beleive.
    How so?

THEYRE WATCHING US, THEY UP THERE AND I KNOW IT. I CAN FEEL THOSE LITTLE BASTARD WATCHING ME.

IA KING

Quote Originally Posted by Jaimecbr900
    How so?
    well if life on other planets is found; which isn't a far off idea considering we are a spec of dust in the "known" universe, say a more intelligent life form is found. Where does Jesus, God, Allah fit into that? We as man try to rationalize things to its simple form but there will always be things we don't understand. The universe is far older than Jesus, bible, & GOD so anything is possible. Shit you never know we could be in the MATRIX

Senior Member | IA Veteran quickdodgeŽ's Avatar

I always find it hard to believe that we are the only living things in existance. Later, QD.
    FOR MORE INFO, CLICK THE PIC!!!

Formerly Spyder Man

Quote Originally Posted by quickdodgeŽ
    I always find it hard to believe that we are the only living things in existance. Later, QD.
    If we were it would be an awefull waste of space.....
    :boobies:

well if life on other planets is found; which isn't a far off idea considering we are a spec of dust in the "known" universe, say a more intelligent life form is found. Where does Jesus, God, Allah fit into that?
    Whose to say that if there ever is a "close encounter of the third kind" that those little green guys won't be carrying a Bible themselves.....

We as man try to rationalize things to its simple form but there will always be things we don't understand.

Careful yound Jedi, you're dangerously close to the definition of FAITH......

The universe is far older than Jesus, bible, & GOD so anything is possible. Shit you never know we could be in the MATRIX
    You do kinda resemble Keanu Reeves.....

IA KING

You do kinda resemble Keanu Reeves.....
    woo i know kung fu

Formerly Spyder Man

no one caught my quote? oh well im the only one that liked that movie it seems lol.
    :boobies:

Who is to say that God is not an alien? Makes sense doesn't it? An omniscent creator with powers far beyond us. The bible is only a book, many think its a collection of stories. What if all the stories are based on truth, just not in the way everyone assumes/has been told?

Im blunt,Get over it blacknightteg's Avatar

i dont think that we are the only ones in this universe.........it wouldnt make any sense if we were
    Canon Nutswinger:
    Canon XS
    18-55mm
    55-250mm
    50mm USM

Quote Originally Posted by Sirk
    Who is to say that God is not an alien?
    The Bible. In it is says that we were created in his likeness, so unless WE are aliens it can't be.

lol..theres probably another planet watching us..and laughing at us all... .

Quote Originally Posted by technoteg97
    lol..theres probably another planet watching us..and laughing at us all... .
    I guess all those gazillion of high power telescopes constantly aimed into the sky for the last few years are all fogged up to have missed a POPULATED planet, eh????

Thats kinda my point Jamie, maybe we WERE created in "god's" likeness. If you created life, how would you make it look? Like you, or like something completely different? Think about it in medical and psychological terms, they would prolly know their own physiology the best, right?

War of the worrlldss!

Quote Originally Posted by Sirk
    Thats kinda my point Jamie, maybe we WERE created in "god's" likeness. If you created life, how would you make it look? Like you, or like something completely different? Think about it in medical and psychological terms, they would prolly know their own physiology the best, right?
    I totally agree with you, except you're arguing my point for me.

If God created US in HIS likeness, then how could HE be an alien???? You said he was, yet agreed he created us in his likeness. I know there are some people that really come close, but last time I checked we weren't aliens.....

i to find it hard to believe b

No, no no, lol. That wasn't my intended point. I'm just trying to offer another perspective ya know? So say god is an alien(s), and he created us in his likeness. Suppose this god had lots of contact with us as we were growing and then slowly withdrew just how much contact he had. So now we get periodic sightings, ie UFO's, abductions, whatever. In a way doesn't it make sense, what we generally believe god to be, is an omniscient and powerful being, we also seem to believe thats what another species we might come into contact with would be, right? It's late, and I might just be babbling. My point is that maybe we were put here as an experiment, and all the references to god and etc, are basically the intervention of the ones that put us here.

I'm leaving my other post, but now I'm giving a better reply to yours. According to the bible weren't we just kind've plopped down on this planet? So basically we are aliens.

I guess all those gazillion of high power telescopes constantly aimed into the sky for the last few years are all fogged up to have missed a POPULATED planet, eh????
    None of those telescopes are powerful enough (or even close) to find a populated planet outside our solar system. Unless you mean radio telescopes. Even then it's like finding a needle in a haystack without being able to see all of the haystack or knowing what the needle looks like. The absence of proof is not the proof of it's opposite.

As for the bible saying God created us in his likeness. You are making the rather bold assumption that everything in the bible is not only true but literal (I assume, I don't know off-hand what that passage says exactly).

Senior Member | IA Veteran quickdodgeŽ's Avatar

Jaime, if there is life out there, I guess you could look at it as if we were aliens. To the other beings, we would be. Later, QD.
    FOR MORE INFO, CLICK THE PIC!!!

Humans have historically worshipped that which they did not understand. Rocks, the sun, the moon, animals....you name it and people have worshipped it. People's modern day rendition of "God" is no different, and if/when people ever do understand "God", they will realize that it is just as comical as everything else humans have worshipped. Religion=billions of people with the same imaginary friend. :jerkit:

EDIT: I really wouldn't have a problem with religion if people could keep the shit to themselves, and not rob, cheat, steal, lie, kill, maim, start wars, commit mass genocide, etc. all in the name of it.
    Last edited by Ncturnal; 08-27-2005 at 05:07 PM.

IA KING

Quote Originally Posted by Ncturnal
    Humans have historically worshipped that which they did not understand. Rocks, the sun, the moon, animals....you name it and people have worshipped it. People's modern day rendition of "God" is no different, and if/when people ever do understand "God", they will realize that it is just as comical as everything else humans have worshipped. Religion=billions of people with the same imaginary friend. :jerkit:

EDIT: I really wouldn't have a problem with religion if people could keep the shit to themselves, and not rob, cheat, steal, lie, kill, maim, start wars, commit mass genocide, etc. all in the name of it.
    +10 damn fine post chief

People CLAIM to do lots of things in the name of religion. That doesn't mean religion makes them do it.

BTW, Politicians have done every single one of the things you mentioned far more often than any religious person ever has.

I don't like politicians either.

Quote Originally Posted by AWD OWNZ U
    None of those telescopes are powerful enough (or even close) to find a populated planet outside our solar system. Unless you mean radio telescopes. Even then it's like finding a needle in a haystack without being able to see all of the haystack or knowing what the needle looks like.
    Scientists have yet to find any forms of real life anywhere in outer space at all. The most powerful radio telescope in the entire known universe is in Puerto Rico and it is said to be able to "see" into far far outerspace. How come in the 40+ years that it has been in existance and one of it's functions IS in fact to search for extraterrestrial existance the observatory has found NONE at all????? That telescope is strong enough to do it, then why hasn't it found any????

The absence of proof is not the proof of it's opposite.
    But sometimes the lack of it speaks volumes.

As for the bible saying God created us in his likeness. You are making the rather bold assumption that everything in the bible is not only true but literal (I assume, I don't know off-hand what that passage says exactly).
    You're welcomed to join our lively discussion on this very subject in the other thread.

I don't like politicians either.

IA KING

Scientists have yet to find any forms of real life anywhere in outer space at all. The most powerful radio telescope in the entire known universe is in Puerto Rico and it is said to be able to "see" into far far outerspace. How come in the 40+ years that it has been in existance and one of it's functions IS in fact to search for extraterrestrial existance the observatory has found NONE at all????? That telescope is strong enough to do it, then why hasn't it found any????
    well even the most powerful telescope is still very limited considering the infinate about of space there is to be in the universe... and life was found on mars in single cell organisms. that is enough for me to think that we aren't alone.

jamie this is a matter of faith/belief much like the bible... you believe the story of mary and how she got preggers; how is it impossible to believe we are alone???

Islander

and life was found on mars in single cell organisms. that is enough for me to think that we aren't alone.
    No there was not. If you are talking about the "mars rocks" they are still being analyzed by scientists. No life found yet.
    I got free clear tails with my ride.....

jamie this is a matter of faith/belief much like the bible... you believe the story of mary and how she got preggers; how is it impossible to believe we are alone???
    That's just one story of countless "Ripley's believe it or not" tales in the Bible. If you can believe half of that, then surely you can believe that somewhere in an infinite existence there is other life. We haven't even identified all of the lifeforms on our own planet. Just because us dumbass humans haven't found other life doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

IA KING

Quote Originally Posted by ISAtlanta300
    No there was not. If you are talking about the "mars rocks" they are still being analyzed by scientists. No life found yet.
    if i'm not mistaken did they not find salt deposits which indicated that there was water which also pointed to single cell organisms???

i'll have to look it up.

IA KING

if i'm not mistaken did they not find salt deposits which indicated that there was water which also pointed to single cell organisms???

i'll have to look it up.
    here edited \/

The evidence for life

The indication of life hinges on three important pieces of evidence, all discovered within mineralized fractures in the meteorite in close proximity to each other. One is the discovery of abundant polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) on the fracture surfaces. These are a family of complex organic molecules which are commonly found on dust grains and certain types of meteorites in outer space, presumably formed by non-biological chemical reactions. However, when micro-organisms die they break down into PAHs as well. The mixture of PAHs found on ALH84001 is very different from that found on dust grains and other meteorites, suggesting the possibility of a biological origin. Thousands of different types of PAHs are found all over the Earth, but those in ALH84001 do not appear to be contaminants which have leaked into the meteorite.

Another line of evidence involves unusual mineral phases found beside the PAHs. These carbonate minerals form "globules" about 50 micrometers across, some of which have cores containing manganese and rings of iron carbonate and iron sulfides, and also contain magnetite and pyrrhotite. These minerals bear strong resemblance to mineral alterations caused by primitive bacteria on Earth. This diversity of minerals in such a small area, formed under the presumed conditions, seem to make a non-biological origin unlikely.

Finally, high-resolution scanning electron microscopy has revealed the presence of tiny "ovoids" which may actually be fossil remnants of tiny (20 to 100 nanometer) bacteria. If so, they are 100 times smaller than any bacteria microfossils found on Earth, except for some supposed "nanofossils" recently discovered in very young terrestrial rocks, a finding currently not generally accepted as fossil organisms. Taken together, the findings are thought to be strong evidence pointing to primitive bacterial life on Mars. The PAHs, unusual mineral phases, and "microfossils" were all located within a few micrometers of one another, indicating a relationship which may require a biological explanation. However, much work will be done on this in the future, including searching for amino acids, other fossil structures such as cell walls, other types of fossils, and fossils of bacteria frozen in the act of reproducing. Mars is almost certain to have been warmer and wetter in its distant past, so the existence of primitive life has been a tantalizing possibility for some time, but the real search may be just beginning.

well even the most powerful telescope is still very limited considering the infinate about of space there is to be in the universe... and life was found on mars in single cell organisms.
    Limited? The radio telescope in Puerto Rico can "hear" farther than any telescope can "see" and it scans millions of frequencies in the entire spectrum constantly. Unless aliens speak and live via ESP, that radio scope would've picked it up. It is one of it's functions to be on a constant listen for ANY type of communication or sound of ANY extraterrestrial life, and in the last 40+ years it's found....Hmmmmm.......NONE.

that is enough for me to think that we aren't alone.
    For someone who likes super logical and analytical "proof" before they believe something, you sure are buying into this "I found a rock and LOOKS like it has a squiggly line in it so it MUST be SOMETHING" even though a scientist hasn't even laid his hands on it and it's a gazillion miles away on another planet so there's no way to rebut what ANYONE says.

It's ironic that you have "faith" in extraterrestrial life that has NEVER been seen, proven, or even heard, yet you have no "faith" that Jesus lived although there are countless of records showing the contrary. It seems that Jesus is far more likely to have been a reality than getting all excited about a squiggly line in a rock on Mars that even in your report admits NOT that it "is" but that it "MAY BE" something. Again, it's something that will NEVER be able to be directly rebutted since the rock will ALWAYS remain on Mars and unable to be looked at by scientists except thru blurry pics.

That's like the old, "Ummmm, yeah I have a girlfriend. Thing is that she is beautiful and loves to have sex with me every day and waits on me hand and foot.......but thing is she lives in another state and has no phone number or anything ". It COULD be true but it's MORE likely that it's just made up since you can't check it.

Probably because the odds are astronomically against it. Not to mention in order to pick up a radio signal you need not only intelligent life, but advanced life. Plus it needs to have been advanced long enough to transmit a radio signal to within range of our telescopes. We don't even know how many planets (not even fucking close) are in the universe let alone if they are populated.

But sometimes the lack of it speaks volumes.
    Kind of like the lack of evidence for the truth of the bible? Or is that different? Sometimes it speaks volumes, but this is definitely not one of those cases.

You're welcomed to join our lively discussion on this very subject in the other thread.
    Maybe later, I'm too tired to care right now.

Limited? The radio telescope in Puerto Rico can "hear" farther than any telescope can "see" and it scans millions of frequencies in the entire spectrum constantly. Unless aliens speak and live via ESP, that radio scope would've picked it up. It is one of it's functions to be on a constant listen for ANY type of communication or sound of ANY extraterrestrial life, and in the last 40+ years it's found....Hmmmmm.......NONE.
    That's still very limited if you ask me. When you consider there is no end to what is out there, that doesn't even scratch the surface....not even close. And how do they know if the damn thing is even working if they haven't heard anything in 40 years? LOL! And like we know about ALL types of communication possible, and besides, even if we did hear it, by the time we did, whatever it was probably won't even be there anymore. We only know what our limited minds let us know, which is peanuts in the grand scheme of things. For all we know, our entire galaxy is a ping-pong ball on a table in some giants world. We can't even fathom the extent of outer-space. Some of the stars we see in the sky disappeared thousands of years ago, but we still see them because it takes millions years for the light to get here in the first place. Assuming we had the ability, if we were to get on a space ship and fly to one of the farthest stars we know about, and assuming we had the ability to travel at the speed of light, it would take us MILLIONS of years to get there. I couldn't even begin to fathom how many miles away that is. What if when we got there, we decided to keep going in the same direction for MILLIONS of more years? We don't even have numbers large enough to describe how far that is. We haven't seen or heard anything out there because we are not smart enough or aware enough too, just like when we used to think the world was flat. In the big scheme of things, we are primitive.

And so what if there is proof that Jesus existed? It doesn't make the fairy tales true. How many times has that story been passed down now? Try passing a story around a room with 50 people, where 1 person tells the story to the next and so on. By the time it gets to #50, it's not even remotely the same as when it started.
    Last edited by Ncturnal; 08-29-2005 at 08:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AWD OWNZ U
    Probably because the odds are astronomically against it.
    Kinda like the odds of "them" being there since there hasn't been a peep heard or seen in the entire history of the world.

Not to mention in order to pick up a radio signal you need not only intelligent life, but advanced life. Plus it needs to have been advanced long enough to transmit a radio signal to within range of our telescopes. We don't even know how many planets (not even fucking close) are in the universe let alone if they are populated.

Kind of like the lack of evidence for the truth of the bible? Or is that different? Sometimes it speaks volumes, but this is definitely not one of those cases.
    Again, what's ironic is that although everyone here trying to convince others that life exists somewhere out there in that "infinite vast space" we know soooo little about even by all yall's admission, THAT to you guys is far more possible than the BIBLE.....

The irony is so thick you can cut it with a knife.

Yall fall over yourself to try and convince someone that something exists although it's NEVER been seen or heard from, yet act like people that believe someone of flesh and blood that existed 2000 years ago are just plum crazy........yall believe life exists based on FAITH and yet having the same FAITH in something that has tangible proof in WRITTEN HISTORY is NOT possible???.

How can you anyone say in one breath that our "minds can't imagine" the vastness of space, yet in the next breath question the Bible using that same and self admitted limited mind??????

How can you anyone say in one breath that our "minds can't imagine" the vastness of space, yet in the next breath question the Bible using that same and self admitted limited mind??????
    It was written by humans. In light of that, questioning it is quite reasonable. The only limited minds are the ones that buy into that BS and don't question it. I also never said that there is life outside of our planet, but considering it goes for infinity, it is reasonable to think that there is. The truth of the matter is we don't really know for sure on either subject, gods or galaxies. We are humans. We are stupid. :jerkit: I wonder if in 2000 years people will believe L. Rob Hubbard was some kind of prophet and messenger of God.
    Last edited by Ncturnal; 08-29-2005 at 08:43 PM.

And so what if there is proof that Jesus existed? It doesn't make the fairy tales true. How many times has that story been passed down now? Try passing a story around a room with 50 people, where 1 person tells the story to the next and so on. By the time it gets to #50, it's not even remotely the same as when it started.
    The Bible is not merely someone whispering into their neighbor's ear in a crowded room during a silly game. It is actually a compillation of BOOKS that were WRITTEN DOWN. How many times it's been "told" or "passed down" means nothing about the CONTENT of the book itself. If that logic were so, since there are far more STUDENTS than Christians, then good ole HISTORY books would be an absolute waste of the paper they're written on since HISTORY class is taught far more times than Bible reading classes.

Right or wrong?

The Bible is not merely someone whispering into their neighbor's ear in a crowded room during a silly game. It is actually a compillation of BOOKS that were WRITTEN DOWN. How many times it's been "told" or "passed down" means nothing about the CONTENT of the book itself. If that logic were so, since there are far more STUDENTS than Christians, then good ole HISTORY books would be an absolute waste of the paper they're written on since HISTORY class is taught far more times than Bible reading classes.

Right or wrong?
    Wrong. Sure, it was written down eventually, but not right away in most cases. In some cases, like Moses who wrote the first 5 books, it was a long fucking time before any of it was written, not to mention being translated by even more humans. There are literally thousands of different religions based on what is "supposedly" the same book. How the hell can that be? I'm certain at this point, we are so fucking far off that it would be laughable if we knew the actual truth. Keep buying into the bullshit you've been fed your whole life if it makes you feel better though, just don't be suprised when someone else can see if for the fairy tale it is.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast