Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: #OccupyWallStreet. Why is this not getting major MSM attention?

Default #OccupyWallStreet. Why is this not getting major MSM attention?

There are hundreds of people marching on Wall Street right now. People are being illegally attacked by the NYPD. Why isnt this getting coverage like Tea Party events do? Is this too real for mainstream America to comprehend? Are we too busy sitting on the couch eating our McDonalds and Coke watching Nancy Grace's crazy ass on "DWTS"? Is it because they're shouting right wing rhetoric like "OBUMBA", "BIRTH CERTIFICATE", "GAYS SHOULDNT MARRY", "EVOLUTION IS A THEORY"? I'm not one to don the tin foil hat, but maybe Gil Scott Heron was right. The revolution will not be televised. This looks like revolution pt.1 to me

NIKON Squad member 01

I HAVE SUBS AND CAMERAS AND LENSES FO SALE
    OF*C
    OEMFitment Crew Memeber 01

No, when/if there is a mass uprising, it will not make major news in order to isolate those people and make them lose heart. Surprisingly enough, the video game Mirrors Edge has a storyline based on what i believe to be this country's very near future - if it has not already come to pass.

Government is only interested in three things:

1) Self Preservation
    2) Control
    3) Expansion

-jonathan
    [/URL]
    Jesus Christ is my Savior

I jump on google news quite a few times throughout the day and have seen more than a few stories about it, so it's not like there is no coverage whatsoever. I don't particularly pay attention to television or traditional print media so I can't so much speak for that. None the less I think we have a long way to go before there is a straight uprising. That's asking a lot of fat lazy Americans like myself to get up off their ass and do something about the pointless democrat-republican dance doing absolutely nothing to help the country.

I posted some vids about this in the VID section. Some of the cops crossed the line. It was bad from what I saw.
    All I know is alot of cops and the city is going to get the pants sued off them !

Why should this receive a lot of attention? From what I've read it was only a thousand protestors on the opening days and the numbers decreased every day thereafter. Not exactly a revolution. Not to mention they seem not to have any specific goals they agree upon. If I'm wrong, I open to learning more.

You'd be better served to "#OccupyCapitolHill" and protest the abysmal performance of our elected officials, no matter what side of the aisle you reside on. The United States Congress has become a huge joke, full of nothing more than political posturing and self preservation.

Quote Originally Posted by bu villain View Post
    Why should this receive a lot of attention? From what I've read it was only a thousand protestors on the opening days and the numbers decreased every day thereafter. Not exactly a revolution. Not to mention they seem not to have any specific goals they agree upon. If I'm wrong, I open to learning more.
    There is an unofficial list of grievances. The number dwindled down for a bit, but its continued to rise. The pilots union and I think the transit union has pledged to join onboard. Why should it not receive a lot of attention? Well...why shouldnt it? Its people trying to get their voices heard. Its people trying to do something to change the way corporations are running the country

Grievances: http://www.scribd.com/doc/66751652/Grievances

Quote Originally Posted by Browning151 View Post
    You'd be better served to "#OccupyCapitolHill" and protest the abysmal performance of our elected officials, no matter what side of the aisle you reside on. The United States Congress has become a huge joke, full of nothing more than political posturing and self preservation.
    #OccupyDC is on Oct. 6th. Supposed to be bigger than Wall St.

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

IA Member

wow i appreciate the op keeping us filled in. I know I try to stay current with things of this nature but unfortunately have been going through some personal issues. It just seems as though things are on a perpetual downfall in this country. I believe a lot more is happening than we realize
    Just Jeanuis

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

I was in NYC for work last week and walked through these clowns camping near wall st. Looked like just the typical potheads you see at every protest to me.

Quote Originally Posted by SampaGuy View Post
    I was in NYC for work last week and walked through these clowns camping near wall st. Looked like just the typical potheads you see at every protest to me.
    Ignorance is bliss, huh?

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

My girlfriend and I got a good laugh at this last night while watching the news. They interviewed a woman from Wisconsin or Minnesota, somewhere around there, that said "I've been unemployed for 2 years, having trouble paying my mortgage and providing for my 2 teenage sons and I'm not sure if I'll be able to send them to college now." So let me get this straight, you've been out of work for 2 years, you're struggling to make ends meet and yet you spend who knows how much money to get to NYC and waste 2 weeks to protest Wall Street, instead of putting that time into continuing to look for a job, and putting that money toward supporting your family? Logic fail.

My girlfriend and I got a good laugh at this last night while watching the news. They interviewed a woman from Wisconsin or Minnesota, somewhere around there, that said "I've been unemployed for 2 years, having trouble paying my mortgage and providing for my 2 teenage sons and I'm not sure if I'll be able to send them to college now." So let me get this straight, you've been out of work for 2 years, you're struggling to make ends meet and yet you spend who knows how much money to get to NYC and waste 2 weeks to protest Wall Street, instead of putting that time into continuing to look for a job, and putting that money toward supporting your family? Logic fail.
    Exactly. Yes, Wall street needs reform, but the people protesting are idiots that have no clue what they are talking about and are not going to change anything.

You can spin it however you want, or take a miniscule cross section of who's turning out and apply it to everyone if you want, but THAT is "logic fail"

Exactly. Yes, Wall street needs reform, but the people protesting are idiots that have no clue what they are talking about and are not going to change anything.
    Yes wall street needs serious reform, DC needs serious reform. What are you doing about it?

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

Blank CD most people believe if it's not effecting me who give a damn, that's why you get some of these reponses. I have heard these protest are popping up in other states as well!
    zoom-zoom-zoom

Quote Originally Posted by .blank cd View Post

Yes wall street needs serious reform, DC needs serious reform. What are you doing about it?
    My friend and I were talking the other day how they should bring back the Glass-Steagall Act, and how that would affect things. That by itself is much more productive than the protesters, who are focused on complaining, not on coming up with real solutions. I was serious when I said it looked like a bunch of potheads and bums camping over there.

You can spin it however you want, or take a miniscule cross section of who's turning out and apply it to everyone if you want, but THAT is "logic fail"
    What exactly did I spin? She's taking time away from finding work and money away from supporting her family to travel half way across the country and walk up and down a street holding a sign. Sounds like poor decision making to me. Also, nowhere in my comment did I apply it to everyone that is protesting, but nice try.

There is an unofficial list of grievances. The number dwindled down for a bit, but its continued to rise. The pilots union and I think the transit union has pledged to join onboard. Why should it not receive a lot of attention? Well...why shouldnt it? Its people trying to get their voices heard. Its people trying to do something to change the way corporations are running the country

Grievances: http://www.scribd.com/doc/66751652/Grievances

#OccupyDC is on Oct. 6th. Supposed to be bigger than Wall St.
    I definitely think it deserves some attention (especially compared to some of the things the media spends so much time on) but it just doesn't seem like a big enough protest to warrant a huge amount of coverage either. Just remember that just because you agree with their greivances doesn't make it front page news.

That being said, it does seem to be growing and getting more attention. Just today I noticed several articles on my news listings about it.

My friend and I were talking the other day how they should bring back the Glass-Steagall Act, and how that would affect things. That by itself is much more productive than the protesters, who are focused on complaining, not on coming up with real solutions. I was serious when I said it looked like a bunch of potheads and bums camping over there.
    I completely disagree with this way of thinking. You and your friend discussing policy will never affect anything. You may even figure out the perfect solution but until you take some action, it doesn't matter. On the other hand, protesting can cause actual change even if the protestors don't have a solution themselves. It is much harder to ignore a thousand people in front of a major financial institution than two policy buffs talking on the phone.

Certified Gearhead

I completely disagree with this way of thinking. You and your friend discussing policy will never affect anything. You may even figure out the perfect solution but until you take some action, it doesn't matter. On the other hand, protesting can cause actual change even if the protestors don't have a solution themselves. It is much harder to ignore a thousand people in front of a major financial institution than two policy buffs talking on the phone.

This should be fun.

The Grievances:

1: campaign Finance reform.

Take this to congress and have them write a bill that doesnt violate the constitution. The SC believes that institutions should be allowed the right to have their voices hear as well as the people.

2. True Shared Sacrifice.

This one was laughable. "Taxes on those that practice greed should be raised" HAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH. I guess whoever wrote this is a bit jealous of people that make more money than him/her. I do agree with SHARED sacrifice though. I believe a 20% flat tax on ALL forms of income should be about right, at least until we can get the fair tax. So now you pay 20% of your income in fedral taxes whether you make 20k or 20 mil. Roughly speaking, the top 1% of income earners ear about 19% of income and pay about 39% of income taxes. So I wonder who ISNT paying their fair share.

BTW, can someone define greed?

3. Equality of Justice

Show me a case where people dont get equal treatment when considering the same quality of lawyer. Successful people can afford better things, this includes the services of a better lawyer.

4. End the Revolving Door
    A fine goal, and one I agree with. The idiots portesting Wall St. are in the wrong city though. Shouldnt they be try going to DC with this instead of making traffic even worse for NYers?

http://occupywallst.org/forum/propos...all-st-moveme/

Another list of demands from these idiots.

Nothing to see here people. Just a bunch of whiners with nothing better to do.
    Last edited by BanginJimmy; 10-05-2011 at 09:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BanginJimmy View Post
    1: campaign Finance reform.

Take this to congress and have them write a bill that doesnt violate the constitution. The SC believes that institutions should be allowed the right to have their voices hear as well as the people.
    How do you feel about putting limits on how much candidates can spend on a campaign or perhaps public financing? What do you think would be the downside of decreasing the influence of money in a campaign?

BTW, can someone define greed?
    You hit on an important point here I think. There is no universal definition for greed. Same goes for fairness. You say fairness is based on how much someone pays in income tax, they seem to say it is based on what percentage of income someone pays on ALL taxes or perhaps on their ability to pay (they weren't clear). When we don't agree on what is "greedy" or "fair", these words only obfuscate the discussion.

3. Equality of Justice

Show me a case where people dont get equal treatment when considering the same quality of lawyer. Successful people can afford better things, this includes the services of a better lawyer.
    Many people feel (myself included) that having more money should NOT give you an advantage in a court case. This is off topic but I noticed you equate "successful" with having lots of money.

How do you feel about putting limits on how much candidates can spend on a campaign or perhaps public financing? What do you think would be the downside of decreasing the influence of money in a campaign?
    I would have no problems with that. I believe that removing money from the equation would allow people from all backgrounds to run for public office. Right now, you must be wealthy or have wealthy backers in place to run for a state wide or federal office. This limits the number of people with a chance to run to a very predictable few. One more advantage is that either limited finances or public financing would release the stranglehold that the 2 major parties have on American politics.

The downside is pretty obvious to me, it will prevent everyday people, who dont have time for the volunteer work, from entering the political arena.

You hit on an important point here I think. There is no universal definition for greed. Same goes for fairness. You say fairness is based on how much someone pays in income tax, they seem to say it is based on what percentage of income someone pays on ALL taxes or perhaps on their ability to pay (they weren't clear). When we don't agree on what is "greedy" or "fair", these words only obfuscate the discussion.
    Lets face reality, the people that are currently throwing around the word are referring to anyone that has more money than they do. Its about wealth envy, nothing more.

To make things clear as to where I sit on this word. I believe that there is nothing wrong with making as much money as you can. I dont care if you take advantage of every tax loophole and 'receptive' politician there is to amass more money. As long as you dont cross that line and do something that is explicitly illegal I dont consider you greedy. I do consider the guy that refuses to take, and work hard at, a $10/hr job and robs a bank instead to be greedy.

Many people feel (myself included) that having more money should NOT give you an advantage in a court case.

This leads me to believe that you think all lawyers should be paid the same rate, no matter their skill. If you are in court for your life, do you want to Harvard grad or do you want to guy that went to community college to lead your defense? If both are going to charge $100/hr, what do you think your chances are that A. the Harvard grad will be available, and B. there will be a Harvard grad to start with?

Should this only extend to criminal law? What about business law, property law and civil law?

This is off topic but I noticed you equate "successful" with having lots of money.
    Maybe a poor choice of words but still accurate. Being successful doesnt mean you have lots of money, but you will have more than the 30yo loser that works at McD's.

The downside is pretty obvious to me, it will prevent everyday people, who dont have time for the volunteer work, from entering the political arena.
    I think we agree in regards to it being better to limit moneys influence on elections. I understand with what you are saying about people sometimes having more money than time but I would argue that everyday people don't have enough money to sway the politcal arena much as it is now anyways.

Lets face reality, the people that are currently throwing around the word are referring to anyone that has more money than they do. Its about wealth envy, nothing more.
    How did you determine all the protestors emotions and motivations? It sounds like an assumption to me unless you want to provide some meaningful evidence backing it up. Attacking motives just ignores the actual issue. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_motive

To make things clear as to where I sit on this word. I believe that there is nothing wrong with making as much money as you can. I dont care if you take advantage of every tax loophole and 'receptive' politician there is to amass more money. As long as you dont cross that line and do something that is explicitly illegal I dont consider you greedy. I do consider the guy that refuses to take, and work hard at, a $10/hr job and robs a bank instead to be greedy.
    That is your opinion and that's fine but you have to accept that quite a few people would disagree. I don't think the legality of something has anything to do with someone being greedy or not. If someone had all the food while everyone else starved, I would consider him greedy even though the law says he can do whatever he wants with his food.

Pretty much everyone would agree with you on the bank robbery part though.

In the end, as I said before, "greed" and "fairness" do not have strict definitions so there is no point in arguing about what the words mean. Instead we should focus on whether the current laws are the best policies or not.

This leads me to believe that you think all lawyers should be paid the same rate, no matter their skill. If you are in court for your life, do you want to Harvard grad or do you want to guy that went to community college to lead your defense? If both are going to charge $100/hr, what do you think your chances are that A. the Harvard grad will be available, and B. there will be a Harvard grad to start with?

Should this only extend to criminal law? What about business law, property law and civil law?
    No I am not saying all lawyers should be paid the same. I am not arguing about lawyers salaries at all. What I am arguing is that the justice system should treat all people the same and letting some people have great lawyers and others terrible ones is not an effective way of acheiving justice. Do you think OJ would have gone free if he had a terrible lawyer? Do you think justice was served in that case?

Maybe a poor choice of words but still accurate. Being successful doesnt mean you have lots of money, but you will have more than the 30yo loser that works at McD's.
    It's not accurate in my opinion because my definition of successful does not require making money. I don't want to debate semantics, I just found it interesting how differently we define "successful".

How did you determine all the protestors emotions and motivations? It sounds like an assumption to me unless you want to provide some meaningful evidence backing it up. Attacking motives just ignores the actual issue.
    I am basing it off the list of demands that I linked along with the other list that was posted.

I don't think the legality of something has anything to do with someone being greedy or not.
    I think it does. There has to be a line to cross between being greedy and not being greedy. Without one, I can just as easily paint you as greedy as these protesters are painting Wall St.

If someone had all the food while everyone else starved, I would consider him greedy even though the law says he can do whatever he wants with his food.
    So who determines how much food he is allowed to have?

Instead we should focus on whether the current laws are the best policies or not.
    Of course they arent. They were drawn up by men and women whose first and only goal is re-election.

No I am not saying all lawyers should be paid the same. I am not arguing about lawyers salaries at all. What I am arguing is that the justice system should treat all people the same and letting some people have great lawyers and others terrible ones is not an effective way of acheiving justice.
    So should everyone have a crappy, low budget lawyer or should everyone have an outstanding lawyer? If everyone is going to have these great, high priced, lawyers, who is going to pay for them when the defendant cannot?

Do you think OJ would have gone free if he had a terrible lawyer? Do you think justice was served in that case?
    OJ got off because of a corrupt, racist detective forging evidence. Without the doubt that was created by Furman, OJ was toast. Back to your point though, I dont know that a cheap lawyer would have been able to find and take advantage of that forged evidence.

It's not accurate in my opinion because my definition of successful does not require making money. I don't want to debate semantics, I just found it interesting how differently we define "successful".

We dont differ as much as your think. Success doesnt require making money, money is a byproduct of success. It doesnt matter what your area of success is. A successful writer sells more books and makes more money. A successful firefighter gets promoted and makes more money.

SNOOCHIE BOOCHIES

This is dumb, these corporations keep this economy going. Well whats left after this class warfare rhetoric bullshit. He is fundamentally transforming this country into another civil war. As the top 10% of income earners pay 69% of the taxes. Shit the top 50% pay 97 % of the taxes. These people on wall street are just looking for handouts. Thats all this is about. I don't make much but i strive for my money and excellence and one day i will earn my money like they did. The bottom 50 percent pay all of 2% of all taxes. Obviously these guys have nothing better to do then sit down there. Not to mention people that "live in poverty" have a lot more items than alot of people that dont meet the government standard of poverty.

"Nearly 40 percent of all poor households actu*ally own their own homes. On average, this is a three-bedroom house with one-and-a-half baths, a garage, and a porch or patio.

Eighty-four percent of poor households have air conditioning. By contrast, in 1970, only 36 percent of the entire U.S. population enjoyed air conditioning.

Nearly two-thirds of the poor have cable or satellite TV.

Only 6 percent of poor households are over*crowded; two-thirds have more than two rooms per person.

The typical poor American has as much or more living space than the average individual living in most European countries. (These comparisons are to the average citizens in foreign countries, not to those classified as poor.)

Nearly three-quarters of poor households own a car; 31 percent own two or more cars.

Ninety-eight percent of poor households have a color television; two-thirds own two or more color televisions.

Eighty-two percent own microwave ovens; 67 percent have a DVD player; 73 percent have a VCR; 47 percent have a computer.

The average intake of protein, vitamins, and minerals by poor children is indistinguishable from that of children in the upper middle class. Poor boys today at ages 18 and 19 are actually taller and heavier than middle-
    class boys of similar age were in the late 1950s. They are a full inch taller and ten pounds heavier than the GIs who stormed the beaches of Normandy during World War II."

These are the people down there protesting. This country is taking care of plenty of people already especially when i am in the damn grocery store and some bitch in front of me is sliding a EBT card for candy, soda and whatever the hell she wants. Wearing name brand clothes and hops in a Lexus to drive off. These hippies need to go home and and let these companies do what they do best. This president needs to step out of the way of these businesses to let them do what they do best and leave them alone. Do you see the correlation here. Check this out someone making 4k a year makes more than i do. http://www.nationalreview.com/corner...onique-de-rugy

Baraca Obama says - The rich aren't paying enough money, the stocks drop. Next speech The rich need to pay their fair share, market drops again and its a endless cycle. These businesses see they are under attack so they are hiding their money and not hiring. The more they hire the bigger they get the more they get attacked for being evil. If this president is smart he would back off. Think about the damage that would be caused if these corporations folded up shop all at once and left. What then? This country would collapse completely.

Also think about how they got all these Iphones and Macbooks down there on wall street if they are so poor. Sounds like a lot of bad spending when you cant afford it. Especially with these people obviously having no job.

The funny thing is big oil made all of 8% profit last year how much did mac? 23%. Big oil is making to much money? Yet they want to cut the tax cuts for big oil and want the gas prices to raise on people not getting hands out from the government? The people getting handouts will just get more money for gas while the oil companies will have to raise prices to keep the 8% profit they want. And without these "evil" corporations we wouldn't have the technology we have today. No competition = no innovations.

As for politicians they will always lie and cheat to get what they want. They have to take bribes to get into the office. We need to change the system so there is an election for any given office every year no matter what the position. This would keep politicians more in line with what the people want and not force through bullshit legislation.

As for the rich not "sharing the wealth", you want some of there wealth get hired by one of these corporations. They want to expand, they want to grow. They want more employees but instead of these protesters applying for a job they are yelling and screaming about them having millions of dollars.
    Last edited by cyb593; 10-07-2011 at 11:23 PM.

the government, which controls the media, isn't going to broadcast the protest because it doesn't want us to know whats going on. the news corporations show what they are told to show, same with the press. our government's always been this corrupted but we can't do shit about it because we've been spoon fed all of our lives with this bullshit (growing up during the tv and internet era we know NOTHING besides the shit entertainment on Youtube and FB.) America is more communist and fascist than old China and Russia.
    At first i supported this movement. it's ridiculous how veterans and hard working citizens have to lose their homes. its crazy how people with MBAs can't make more than $20,000/yr and can't get any kind of insurance. and its ABSURD how much school is. im lucky enough to attend a cheap local college, but for kids in bigger institutions getting raped up the ass with bullshit charges on their tuition makes America the biggest scam artist in the world.
    Then, I looked into other citizens' perspectives. the ones who aren't involved in the protest; the ones who don't want to be. The 53%. Their opinion is simple..if you're RESPONSIBLE from the start, you won't be graduating with a big debt on a student loan, you won't be living on friends' couches. It makes sense. http://blogs.laweekly.com/informer/2...ent_tumblr.php
    However, i'm not 100% agreeing with any side. I believe big corporations must be less GREEDY. because that's what this is all about: GREED.
    Everyone and everything is selfish. some more than others.. i.e. CORPORATIONS and GOVT. Goldman Sachs, JPMorgan.. stop trying to be our GOVERNMENT. stop subsidizing stupid politicians who don't know what they're doing. invest in the FUTURE. how will we survive in a 100years when our resources are gone? We can have billions of crazy looking computers and flying cars, but what good is that if we don't have clean air, no real food(govt also needs to stop regulating farms, let farmers grow what they want and how they want to), and no natural sunlight. where are we going to live?
    stop investing in the military so much and stop making up bs excuses to spread our fucking nonexistent democracy in other countries, start wars and steal their resources. we dont belong there.
    sorry im just blabbing about so much random shit but this is what i believe in. We need to start practicing Globalization on a positive note opposed to taking and abusing powers. Unite with different countries to actually SOLVE problems. Where's all our money going? Use it to better the world America. We're a super power. English is spoken almost everywhere in the world and we produce some of the brightest technological innovations worldwide. Let's stop being wasteful and stupid..

Quote Originally Posted by redpanda View Post
    the government, which controls the media, isn't going to broadcast the protest because it doesn't want us to know whats going on. the news corporations show what they are told to show, same with the press. our government's always been this corrupted but we can't do shit about it because we've been spoon fed all of our lives with this bullshit (growing up during the tv and internet era we know NOTHING besides the shit entertainment on Youtube and FB.)
    Wrong. The media is ideologically controlled. If it was govt controlled you would not see the disparity in reporting between Fox News and MSNBC.

America is more communist and fascist than old China and Russia.
    CEO's and I believe it was the WSJ said the US had a more anti business environment than China does.

it's ridiculous how veterans and hard working citizens have to lose their homes.
    At the start, the people that lost their homes are the ones that purchased homes they couldnt afford to start with. Now, its mainly people that lost their jobs and havent been able to find decent work.

its crazy how people with MBAs can't make more than $20,000/yr
    They can make plenty of money if they chose a marketable area of study. Right now, I know 2 small business owners and a hiring manager that are in need of qualified IT people and they cannot find them.

and can't get any kind of insurance.
    Insurance is not hard to get unless you fall into that small group of uninsurable people with serious pre-existing conditions.

and its ABSURD how much school is.
    This is true. School tuitions have gone through the roof over the last decade.

im lucky enough to attend a cheap local college, but for kids in bigger institutions getting raped up the ass with bullshit charges on their tuition makes America the biggest scam artist in the world.
    You arent lucky to goto a smaller, more affordable school, and the kids going to the larger universities are there because they want to be. No one forced either of you to go to the school you are currently at.

I believe big corporations must be less GREEDY. because that's what this is all about: GREED.
    Can you define 'greed' and put it in context for us?

invest in the FUTURE. how will we survive in a 100years when our resources are gone? We can have billions of crazy looking computers and flying cars, but what good is that if we don't have clean air, no real food(govt also needs to stop regulating farms, let farmers grow what they want and how they want to), and no natural sunlight. where are we going to live?
    If there was a viable alternative and a viable market for it, the private sector would take full advantage of it. The problem is, there are ZERO viable alternative energy sources today.

And to say that major energy corporations are not investing heavily into finding the next major energy source is inaccurate. They ALL want to be the one that takes it to market because the profits would dwarf current ones.

stop investing in the military
    So you want to weaken the US military? You would want countries like China and Russia to catch, or even pass us by technologically? I have sad news for you, technology is the only advantage we have over those countries. Without that advantage, the world would be a MUCH more dangerous place than it is today.

so much and stop making up bs excuses to spread our fucking nonexistent democracy in other countries, start wars and steal their resources. we dont belong there.
    Why should we stop trying to defend ourselves? Its pretty obvious you are an isolationist, where has that ever gotten us in the past?

I love this whole steal resources crap. It really does make me giggle when I hear it.

sorry im just blabbing
    Everyone that tried to read this post knew that.

We need to start practicing Globalization on a positive note opposed to taking and abusing powers. Unite with different countries to actually SOLVE problems. Where's all our money going? Use it to better the world America. We're a super power. English is spoken almost everywhere in the world and we produce some of the brightest technological innovations worldwide. Let's stop being wasteful and stupid..
    The largest hurdle to any kind of global problem solving is the United Nations. Another major hurdle is anti americanism. Time for you to face reality. The world is jealous of America. They hate everything we stand for and they never fail to criticize the US for our actions or lack of lack of action. Yet these same countries always seem to have their hands out when they get into trouble.

Another list of demands from these idiots.

Nothing to see here people. Just a bunch of whiners with nothing better to do.
    Where have I heard this before. I know I've heard this somewhere....

Quote Originally Posted by Selma/Montgomery March, Million Man March, a.k.a. American Civil Rights Movements
    Another list of demands from these idiots. Nothing to see here people. Just a bunch of whiners with nothing better to do.
    Yep. The world would be better off without these whiners begging for equality and stuff...

Lets face reality, the people that are currently throwing around the word are referring to anyone that has more money than they do. Its about wealth envy, nothing more. To make things clear as to where I sit on this word. I believe that there is nothing wrong with making as much money as you can. I dont care if you take advantage of every tax loophole and 'receptive' politician there is to amass more money. As long as you dont cross that line and do something that is explicitly illegal I dont consider you greedy. I do consider the guy that refuses to take, and work hard at, a $10/hr job and robs a bank instead to be greedy.
    So let me get this straight: The guy that robs a bank is greedy, but the guys that orchestrated the subprime mortage crisis, and those that profited from it are not greedy because nothing illegal happend? You might wanna go look up the definition of greed. Its in the dictionary. So if I paid off congress and bribed enough judges to make grand larceny legal, I could get away with robbing a bank and not be greedy? ::Waiting for the "its not the same thing" argument::

Quote Originally Posted by BanginJimmy
    You need to look up the word successful as well. Money is not always a by-product of success. Dr. Jonas Saulk was immensely successful when he developed, patented, and distributed the polio vaccine. He didnt make one single cent on it.

CEO's and I believe it was the WSJ said the US had a more anti business environment than China does.
    WSJ reported on what the CEO's were claiming

At the start, the people that lost their homes are the ones that purchased homes they couldnt afford to start with. Now, its mainly people that lost their jobs and havent been able to find decent work.
    Wrong. The people that lost their homes were the ones who were stuck in the bad mortgage loans. It wasnt that they couldnt afford their homes, its that they couldnt afford the balloon payments. Bad economy + Predatory lending = banks seizing homes, owners being upside down on properties. Not many people got more home than they could afford regularly. And the cycle of greed continues.

Insurance is not hard to get unless you fall into that small group of uninsurable people with serious pre-existing conditions.
    Insurance is still on the verge of unaffordable in the long run if you're making less than $15/hr. Im sure we'll get there one day, but the U.S. is a ways away from a decent socialized healthcare system. ::Waits for the "wait times too long" and the "it will be too expensive" argument::

Can you define 'greed' and put it in context for us?
    Here's what Merriam-Websters dictionary says (but how accurate can they be, huh?):

greed
    noun \ˈgrēd\
    Definition of GREED
    : a selfish and excessive desire for more of something (as money) than is needed

Why should we stop trying to defend ourselves? Its pretty obvious you are an isolationist, where has that ever gotten us in the past?
    We're not defending ourselves anymore. We haven't had to for quite some time. We have the strongest most advanced military in the world, do you really think we're actually "defending" ourselves? Really? "Isolationism" would have saved plenty of lives in Vietnam and plenty of lives in Afghanistan

The largest hurdle to any kind of global problem solving is the United Nations. Another major hurdle is anti americanism. Time for you to face reality. The world is jealous of America. They hate everything we stand for and they never fail to criticize the US for our actions or lack of lack of action. Yet these same countries always seem to have their hands out when they get into trouble.
    No. The world is not jealous of the U.S. Far from it. Ask a few foriegn nationals, they'll tell you how jealous they are. LOL

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

The US talks about how Russia,China or N.Korea don't let protest take place or dare to be televised. Yet we are doing the same and trying our best to keep it under raps before anyone notices to much. This is what we are not to far from being....

Quote Originally Posted by -EnVus- View Post
    The US talks about how Russia,China or N.Korea don't let protest take place or dare to be televised. Yet we are doing the same and trying our best to keep it under raps before anyone notices to much. This is what we are not to far from being....

On this note, there was a report saying how many of the Arab Spring protests were handled more civilly than the OWS protests here in the United States. If things keep getting worse, it will probably come to that

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

Its not getting any attention because its a bunch of hippie protestors that dont even know what they are protesting. Have you seen some of the interviews with the people down there? piercings, blue hair, chain smoking degenerates that dont want a job anyway.

They have no solutions, they just want to bitch about people having money
    Enterprise Data Resources- Ecommerce Project Manager
    -www.usedbarcode.net

It's pretty irresponsible and uninformed to call them hippies, really. What you see is a small cross section of what's going on down there. I've seen just as many lawyers, factory workers, pilots, military, and well dressed people as you've seen younger people. And that's the whole point. You're not going to see too many well-to-do people out there because they already got theirs. And they have solutions. There's a list of grievances posted on the website

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

It's pretty irresponsible and uninformed to call them hippies, really. What you see is a small cross section of what's going on down there. I've seen just as many lawyers, factory workers, pilots, military, and well dressed people as you've seen younger people. And that's the whole point. You're not going to see too many well-to-do people out there because they already got theirs. And they have solutions. There's a list of grievances posted on the website
    Grievances? Gimme a fucking break. What do they want? They want the RICH to give to them because they cant provide for themsevles. PERIOD. They want other people to suffer because they feel they are entitled to something.

Have you been down to occupy Atlanta? i have. I engaged several people down here. "we are mad at corporate greed man!" what kind of corporate greed?

Its rediculous and brought on by a bunch of no thinkers that couldnt get a job if they wanted to. They have NO SKILLS, no education, no direction, no ambition.

These arent blue collar workers protesting for higher wages, these are ignorant kids protesting they want a free ride.

Hey Occupy Atlanta/Wallstreet people, What do you hope to accomplish? What is your goal? What is your solution? How about you protest Congress and Obamas inaction to provide an environment for you to get hired? how about you protest that.

"LETS PROTEST THE PEOPLE THAT HAVE JOBS BECAUSE WE DONT HAVE JOBS"- yeah makes sense
    Last edited by Vteckidd; 10-10-2011 at 12:52 PM.
    -www.usedbarcode.net

Quote Originally Posted by cyb593 View Post
    This is dumb, these corporations keep this economy going. Well whats left after this class warfare rhetoric bullshit. He is fundamentally transforming this country into another civil war. As the top 10% of income earners pay 69% of the taxes. Shit the top 50% pay 97 % of the taxes. These people on wall street are just looking for handouts. Thats all this is about. I don't make much but i strive for my money and excellence and one day i will earn my money like they did. The bottom 50 percent pay all of 2% of all taxes. Obviously these guys have nothing better to do then sit down there. Not to mention people that "live in poverty" have a lot more items than alot of people that dont meet the government standard of poverty.

"Nearly 40 percent of all poor households actu*ally own their own homes. On average, this is a three-bedroom house with one-and-a-half baths, a garage, and a porch or patio.

Eighty-four percent of poor households have air conditioning. By contrast, in 1970, only 36 percent of the entire U.S. population enjoyed air conditioning.

Nearly two-thirds of the poor have cable or satellite TV.

Only 6 percent of poor households are over*crowded; two-thirds have more than two rooms per person.

The typical poor American has as much or more living space than the average individual living in most European countries. (These comparisons are to the average citizens in foreign countries, not to those classified as poor.)

Nearly three-quarters of poor households own a car; 31 percent own two or more cars.

Ninety-eight percent of poor households have a color television; two-thirds own two or more color televisions.

Eighty-two percent own microwave ovens; 67 percent have a DVD player; 73 percent have a VCR; 47 percent have a computer.

The average intake of protein, vitamins, and minerals by poor children is indistinguishable from that of children in the upper middle class. Poor boys today at ages 18 and 19 are actually taller and heavier than middle-
    class boys of similar age were in the late 1950s. They are a full inch taller and ten pounds heavier than the GIs who stormed the beaches of Normandy during World War II."

These are the people down there protesting. This country is taking care of plenty of people already especially when i am in the damn grocery store and some bitch in front of me is sliding a EBT card for candy, soda and whatever the hell she wants. Wearing name brand clothes and hops in a Lexus to drive off. These hippies need to go home and and let these companies do what they do best. This president needs to step out of the way of these businesses to let them do what they do best and leave them alone. Do you see the correlation here. Check this out someone making 4k a year makes more than i do. http://www.nationalreview.com/corner...onique-de-rugy

Baraca Obama says - The rich aren't paying enough money, the stocks drop. Next speech The rich need to pay their fair share, market drops again and its a endless cycle. These businesses see they are under attack so they are hiding their money and not hiring. The more they hire the bigger they get the more they get attacked for being evil. If this president is smart he would back off. Think about the damage that would be caused if these corporations folded up shop all at once and left. What then? This country would collapse completely.

Also think about how they got all these Iphones and Macbooks down there on wall street if they are so poor. Sounds like a lot of bad spending when you cant afford it. Especially with these people obviously having no job.

The funny thing is big oil made all of 8% profit last year how much did mac? 23%. Big oil is making to much money? Yet they want to cut the tax cuts for big oil and want the gas prices to raise on people not getting hands out from the government? The people getting handouts will just get more money for gas while the oil companies will have to raise prices to keep the 8% profit they want. And without these "evil" corporations we wouldn't have the technology we have today. No competition = no innovations.

As for politicians they will always lie and cheat to get what they want. They have to take bribes to get into the office. We need to change the system so there is an election for any given office every year no matter what the position. This would keep politicians more in line with what the people want and not force through bullshit legislation.

As for the rich not "sharing the wealth", you want some of there wealth get hired by one of these corporations. They want to expand, they want to grow. They want more employees but instead of these protesters applying for a job they are yelling and screaming about them having millions of dollars.
    +1
    -www.usedbarcode.net

This is truly funny

Demand one: Restoration of the living wage. This demand can only be met by ending "Freetrade" by re-imposing trade tariffs on all imported goods entering the American market to level the playing field for domestic family farming and domestic manufacturing as most nations that are dumping cheap products onto the American market have radical wage and environmental regulation advantages. Another policy that must be instituted is raise the minimum wage to twenty dollars an hr.
    $20/HR? They talk about being competitive GLOBALLY but want a $20 an hour MINIMUM WAGE SYSTEM? WTF ARE THEY SMOKING? You realize that means the average teenager would make $40,000 ish a year right? Flipping burgerss, serving slushies, etc. YOu know that would cause MASSIVE inflation right?

What they are basically saying is that they CANT or dont WANT a job that requires them to make that kind of money so they want their current shitty jobs (if they have one) to pay them that. 20$/hr is not hard to get. But most of these losers dont want to work hard, they want it given to them.

Demand two: Institute a universal single payer healthcare system. To do this all private insurers must be banned from the healthcare market as their only effect on the health of patients is to take money away from doctors, nurses and hospitals preventing them from doing their jobs and hand that money to wall st. investors.
    Clearly these boneheads have no idea how our healthcare system, which is one of the best in the world, works. I could write books on this.

Demand three: Guaranteed living wage income regardless of employment.
    you realize what that is right? That means regardless of working, the govt pays them money. WHERE IS THE INCENTIVE TO WORK? Youll get a bunch of lazy fatass bastard sitting around collecting their govt checks because why work. This is the single most disturbing demand and shows just how truly lazy and ignorant these people are.

Demand four: Free college education.
    FREE! I sense a pattern here. FREE EVERYTHING! Free housing, free money, free education, free everything! but they dont want to PAY for it. They just want it given to them

Demand five: Begin a fast track process to bring the fossil fuel economy to an end while at the same bringing the alternative energy economy up to energy demand.
    hippie dream. Nice try, but if you want to end our dependency on oil, you better create something ASAP that is as economically viable and available. problem is THERE ISNT ANYTHING. I wonder what these dumbasses would do if gas went to $50/gallon because of their nazi green policies.

Demand six: One trillion dollars in infrastructure (Water, Sewer, Rail, Roads and Bridges and Electrical Grid) spending now.
    sigh

Demand seven: One trillion dollars in ecological restoration planting forests, reestablishing wetlands and the natural flow of river systems and decommissioning of all of America's nuclear power plants.
    These people obvioulsy have no clue how our infrastructure works. They dont realize what would happen if any of their stupid demands were meant. Would they be happy living in the dark? Without power? I bet they want power for FREE too............

Demand eight: Racial and gender equal rights amendment.
    uh they already have that .

Demand nine: Open borders migration. anyone can travel anywhere to work and live.
    christ , fucking serious? What do they care they dont want to work anyway.

Demand eleven: Immediate across the board debt forgiveness for all. Debt forgiveness of sovereign debt, commercial loans, home mortgages, home equity loans, credit card debt, student loans and personal loans now! All debt must be stricken from the "Books." World Bank Loans to all Nations, Bank to Bank Debt and all Bonds and Margin Call Debt in the stock market including all Derivatives or Credit Default Swaps, all 65 trillion dollars of them must also be stricken from the "Books." And I don't mean debt that is in default, I mean all debt on the entire planet period.
    WHAT IS THIS FIGHT CLUB? talk about world collapse. Oh so you ran up your credit card and dont want to be respnsible for it? shut the fuck up be an adult.

Demand twelve: Outlaw all credit reporting agencies.
    Nice so how are we supposed to know who is risky and who isnt? asshats

Demand thirteen: Allow all workers to sign a ballot at any time during a union organizing campaign or at any time that represents their yeah or nay to having a union represent them in collective bargaining or to form a union.
    Unions is what has caused MOST of our jobs to go overseas folks. Sorry.
    -www.usedbarcode.net

Quote Originally Posted by Vteckidd View Post
    This is truly funny

$20/HR?
    Let me go ahead and stop you right here. I can clearly see that you don't understand how this whole movement thing works.

Every day you go into the for sale section in IA and see people selling curbed up Drag wheels for $1000 bucks. Do they think they'll get a stack for em? Hell no. They're playing the game. Someone will come down to the price set they're looking for. Same thing happens here. They're not stupid. They throw out a highball number so that when negotiating begins, they have a higher starting point. You can't really topple a system of greed by asking for a pittance.

Let me ask all the naysayers this: If you think this whole OWS thing is bogus, what do you make of the recent LARGE (several million dollar) cash "donation" by JP Morgan Chase to the NY City Police Department, and the subsequent aggressiveness by the department? Bunch of generous folks up there at Chase I guess

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

Let me go ahead and stop you right here. I can clearly see that you don't understand how this whole movement thing works.

Every day you go into the for sale section in IA and see people selling curbed up Drag wheels for $1000 bucks. Do they think they'll get a stack for em? Hell no. They're playing the game. Someone will come down to the price set they're looking for. Same thing happens here. They're not stupid. They throw out a highball number so that when negotiating begins, they have a higher starting point. You can't really topple a system of greed by asking for a pittance.

Let me ask all the naysayers this: If you think this whole OWS thing is bogus, what do you make of the recent LARGE (several million dollar) cash "donation" by JP Morgan Chase to the NY City Police Department, and the subsequent aggressiveness by the department? Bunch of generous folks up there at Chase I guess
    what basis does a 20/hr minimum wage have vailidity? Please, explain. Minimum wage is already high, minimum wage isnt for people to survive their entire lives on, its for people who start out and have a job at the bottom rung. Its for teenagers and college kids. Its not for some 45 year old or some 30 year old. its for 16-22.

TELL ME WHY THEY SHOULD GET ANY INCREASE IN THE MINIMUM WAGE?? LET ALONE 20$/HR. the fact they want $20/hr for the most menial jobs, AND free borders is just one big pile of laugh. Seriously? you think these no working kids will be able to compete against a flood of immigrants that are actually WILLING to do the work? No, they dont care , because they will have their LIVING WAGE which means who gives a shit if they get a job, theyll have free govt money.

Their argument for having a 20$/hr minimum wage is because they are INCAPABLE OF MAKING A DECENT LIVING BECAUSE OF THEIR OWN FAULTS. Thats it. I dont think i should subsidize someones inability to make a living.

These ARENT people slaving away at blue collar jobs being mistreated. Id be more sympathetic then. These are SLACKERS, IDIOTS, FREE LOADERS who havent worked a day in their life demending free shit on the backs of everyone else. They probably come from WEALTHY FAMILIES. I mean who protests corporate greed then says "im eating mcdonalds". Or is talking on their Iphone? These people had a moment of silence for Steve Jobs, the epitome of capitalism and corporations lol.

FYI I think Goldman Sachs is a big a cheat as there ever was, so are some of the other big banking systems out there. BUT WE COULD HAVE LET THEM FAIL , but who bailed them out? BUSH AND OBAMA. SO why arent we protesting Obama since he is in power?

Their list of demands shows who they are, they want to transfer all the wealth from the rich to them, the poor, because it would make them ..........rich. They want to take from people with money because they have none. its sad, its pathetic, and i hope they realize how stupid they are
    -www.usedbarcode.net

Quote Originally Posted by Vteckidd View Post
    I mean who protests corporate greed then says "im eating mcdonalds". Or is talking on their Iphone?
    This is what cracks me up about the whole thing. "Damn these evil rich people, corporations and banks. I'm going to protest them and post on facebook and twitter the whole time from my iPhone and iPad etc.etc." How do you think those devices ever came to be? They sure as hell didn't come from government, they were designed and produced because of the FREE MARKET.

You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity.

What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.

The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it!

When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Wow I haven't seen such polarization on this forum for a while. I don't care if it's the tea partiers or the occupy wall streeters. I'm glad when I see people protesting and standing up for what they believe in. You don't have to agree with someone to respect their convictions. I don't care if they are hippies, rednecks, or whatever. Ideas should be argued but it seems like people would rather attack each other and focus on every negative aspect they can than to actually debate ideas in a civil and intelligent way.

I'll jump back in when I don't have to wade through so many angry accusations to discuss actual issues and policies. It's like a fucking soap opera in here.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast