Thread: Would not recommend.

Unknown

Default Would not recommend.

I saw a buddies of mine's car that was tuned at "Lethal Injection" and wouldn't recommend them for any tuning what-so-ever.
    Ty

PLEASE READ THE ENTIRE THREAD TO SEE WHERE LETHAL INJECTION DID NOTHING WRONG
    Last edited by Vteckidd; 03-24-2009 at 09:56 AM.

( . )( . ) inmymouth _Christian_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tyler_tegra
    I saw a buddies of mine's car that was tuned at "Lethal Injection" and wouldn't recommend them for any tuning what-so-ever.
    Ty
    So this is your first post on IA and you give no details what-so-ever. Tell me why I should give a fuck what you say.

x2, not a good way to start your posting on IA....

atleast he didn't dick around,,,lol he got straight to the point. Story behind it would be nice tho
    Quote Originally Posted by PURP View Post
    A g00n... is a real life thing. It walks, talks, and shits. A goblin is a fictional character that isn't real life. It's FAKE..... like rotas, y0. Hope that helps.

E30 FTW

i had to help tune my buddies car after it was at lethal for a week he spent over a grand in tuning and we are still working out the bugs it stutters around 2 grand and is burning very lean im not a license tuner but i have done a couple cars and i have been apart of a dozen or so builds and tunes and i nor any of the cars we ever had dyno tuned we've never had a problem but this is not a hokes if you spent over a grand and every time you get in your car you have throttle it like a 67 lemans to start it and it stutters and spits i would want every other car guy girl know who not to let tune there car and the sad part is they wont do anything to make it right they want another 350-400 dollars to fix it we all have one thing in common on here we all like some make or model of cars so we all share information with each other whether it be a good deal on parts rides meets and in this situation a shop that has really done a great guy wrong. thanks Cato

( . )( . ) inmymouth _Christian_'s Avatar

^That's one really long sentence.

this is very interesting

what car was this and who's car was this?

Dave

Lethal Injection? Never heard of em.

Quote Originally Posted by Cato_BmwE30
    i had to help tune my buddies car after it was at lethal for a week he spent over a grand in tuning and we are still working out the bugs it stutters around 2 grand and is burning very lean im not a license tuner but i have done a couple cars and i have been apart of a dozen or so builds and tunes and i nor any of the cars we ever had dyno tuned we've never had a problem but this is not a hokes if you spent over a grand and every time you get in your car you have throttle it like a 67 lemans to start it and it stutters and spits i would want every other car guy girl know who not to let tune there car and the sad part is they wont do anything to make it right they want another 350-400 dollars to fix it we all have one thing in common on here we all like some make or model of cars so we all share information with each other whether it be a good deal on parts rides meets and in this situation a shop that has really done a great guy wrong. thanks Cato
    well maybe your buddy should have had you tune it to begin with. Just my ... Also, I'm led to believe he didn't want you to touch it to begin with.. Does he not trust your tuning capabilities?? If a good friend of mine could tune, professional or not, I would let my friend do it. Again, that's just my 2 cents
    Quote Originally Posted by PURP View Post
    A g00n... is a real life thing. It walks, talks, and shits. A goblin is a fictional character that isn't real life. It's FAKE..... like rotas, y0. Hope that helps.

What kinda car was it?

Quote Originally Posted by Cato_BmwE30
    Im sorry, I wouldnt allow someone to tune my car if they have no clue what a run-on sentence is. This may help you out some.
    Punctation

If he seriously had a problem with it he should have immediately gone back to the shop. Now that you have done something to it, I feel as if its totally out of their hands now. You have interfered with the original tune which makes it no longer their tune. If something happens to the car, its YOUR fault.
    This is also my

I Am, A Stunt Man

someone is about to get called out haha

If we knew who/what car it was we would love to provide more information about the situation. we know it's impossible to make everyone happy but there's a lot of statements you made that don't coincide with how we do business or our customer service.

Since i started at Lethal full time (a year ago) i've yet to see a car we've charged over 1000 just in tuning/dyno time, let alone an unhappy customer we've been unwilling to work with.

Dave @ Lethal Injection Motorsports
    770-343-9969

Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Z U L8R
    Since i started at Lethal full time (a year ago) i've yet to see a car we've charged over 1000 just in tuning/dyno time, let alone an unhappy customer we've been unwilling to work with.
    Customer service huh?

So when Derek tells a customer (my friend) that their car is ready to be picked up, (and knows the customer lives OVER and hour away) then the car runs into an issue and isn't able to be picked up, he's no where to be found. He knew that the car had issues and wasn't going to be able to be picked up and didn't even call my buddy to tell him not to waste 3 hours of his time coming up there. (2 hours driving, 1 hour waiting for Derek to get back with his Starbucks.)

Then they run into issues with his car not holding boost on the dyno because they half assed a wiring job on an electronic boost controller (which made his boost controller worthless half the time). Then when the ebc did work he looked at the settings and they didn't even have the spring rate set so that the ebc could control the wastegate. And the car wouldn't even CRANK without tons and tons of throttle. When he asked Derek about it, Derek said "Well there didn't seem to be alot of settings for cranking the car, You know what I mean?" which means they didn't even look because the program clearly shows Cranking/Warmup tab at the top 2 columns over from the File tab.

Then when asked about the quirks of the tune, Derek simply said "Well it wasn't doing that on the dyno so I don't see why it'd do that on the streets. You know what I mean?" RIIIGHT, they even tried to work out the drive-ability on the car and still didn't work everything out and completely ignored the fact that it wouldn't crank.

If one of you that work at lethal want to try and make it right you can private message me and I'll shoot you his number.

Why didnt your buddy just call the shop and talk to them before driving an hour home with a f**ked up car? Seems strange to me that a shop would let a car leave with the problems your stating.

sounds like the car needs more than a tune.
    Quote Originally Posted by MR.EM1 View Post
    learn to english

Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by wannab20hatch
    Why didnt your buddy just call the shop and talk to them before driving an hour home with a f**ked up car? Seems strange to me that a shop would let a car leave with the problems your stating.
    Sorry I didn't clarify this. My buddy did call the shop and they told him the car was going to be ready that night. BUT when he got there the car had issues that were going to have to be worked out in order for it to run. And if they have great customer service then someone should have called him to let him know it wasn't ready.

tell ur friend to be a man and handle his own shit. i understand wanting to help ur friend but ur acting like its ur car. if u didnt personally deal with the shop dnt come in here bitching bc im sure u dnt know the WHOLE story. dnt know them that well but daves a pretty cool dude and im sure he wouldnt have left somebodys car like that without reason (no funds, etc..) and ive seen some tunes on the dyno computer and they dont fit the description of the tune you speak of.

sounds like u went in trying to mess with the tune, fucked it up and now u want them to put it back bc ur friend is pissed at you. hense the reason ur making the fuss and not him.

BMW FTMFW

Quote Originally Posted by BTEC
    tell ur friend to be a man and handle his own shit. i understand wanting to help ur friend but ur acting like its ur car. if u didnt personally deal with the shop dnt come in here bitching bc im sure u dnt know the WHOLE story. dnt know them that well but daves a pretty cool dude and im sure he wouldnt have left somebodys car like that without reason (no funds, etc..) and ive seen some tunes on the dyno computer and they dont fit the description of the tune you speak of.

sounds like u went in trying to mess with the tune, fucked it up and now u want them to put it back bc ur friend is pissed at you.
    This is my car Tyler is talking about. And Tyler was personally dealing with the shop, he had to bring me up there when the car wasn't ready wasting his time on multiple occasions. That was pretty much the whole story except for a few details that don't matter. I'll agree that Dave was one of the cooler and more upfront guys at Lethal. I don't think Dave was the one that was tuning my car so I'm sure Dave wouldn't have left it like that. I saved the file as soon as I got the car back from them and I can flash my ecu with it if anyone wants to see how it was acting before I worked out some of the issues.

No one messed up the tune, it runs better now with a street tune than it did after it left the dyno.

Quote Originally Posted by magicandmisc
    This is my car Tyler is talking about. And Tyler was personally dealing with the shop, he had to bring me up there when the car wasn't ready wasting his time on multiple occasions. That was pretty much the whole story except for a few details that don't matter. I'll agree that Dave was one of the cooler and more upfront guys at Lethal. I don't think Dave was the one that was tuning my car so I'm sure Dave wouldn't have left it like that. I saved the file as soon as I got the car back from them and I can flash my ecu with it if anyone wants to see how it was acting before I worked out some of the issues.

No one messed up the tune, it runs better now with a street tune than it did after it left the dyno.
    if it wasnt right y would u take it and pay for a service u didnt recieve? then u get back home and hook up to the tunning system and start doing who knows what. then complain about it.

you see what it looks like?

either way good luck.

BMW FTMFW

Quote Originally Posted by BTEC
    if it wasnt right y would u take it and pay for a service u didnt recieve? then u get back home and hook up to the tunning system and start doing who knows what. then complain about it.

you see what it looks like?

either way good luck.
    I see where you're coming from. I already paid for the services when I realized there was issues. And since I picked the car up so late they closed right when I left and didn't answer the phones. I see what you're saying but I nor any of my tuning buddies messed up my car, we made it better. The reason I didn't bring it back was because I don't have another daily driver and to leave it there for a week for them to do a few hours worth of tuning wasn't worth it. So i spent the time I would have wasted driving back and forth to just tune the car myself with the aid of a few friends. See the predicament now? The car should have been tuned better from the start and I shouldn't have had any issues what-so-ever for the money I spent.

I see where you're coming from. I already paid for the services when I realized there was issues. And since I picked the car up so late they closed right when I left and didn't answer the phones. I see what you're saying but I nor any of my tuning buddies messed up my car, we made it better. The reason I didn't bring it back was because I don't have another daily driver and to leave it there for a week for them to do a few hours worth of tuning wasn't worth it. So i spent the time I would have wasted driving back and forth to just tune the car myself with the aid of a few friends. See the predicament now? The car should have been tuned better from the start and I shouldn't have had any issues what-so-ever for the money I spent.
    It's a waste a time and money to try to tune a car when it's not ready to be tuned. that's the moral of the story.

a tune is going to tune the air/fuel ratio's and timing when the rest of the car is operating correctly. if the car is not operating correctly/consistantly there is no way you can get a correct/consistent tune.

i'm deducing now this is a black turbo'd e30 bmw.

Now let me give the shop's perspective:

*SORRY, this is gonna be pretty long and boring. This was 4 or 5 months ago so our memories of the exact days may not be chronologically perfect*

When the customer called, they said that they just needed their car tuned. they said that they just got done building it and everything was ready to go with the exception of installing some bigger injectors that he supplied.

when the car got dropped off, and we got to look under the hood, almost every part on the car was used/junkyard parts with the exception of the brand new home depot intercooler couplers. but with the customer stating that the car was ready to run and just needed a tune. we strapped it down to the dyno and tried to tune the USED (previously installed on a different car) megasquirt ems.

with the car on the dyno, at 3,000 rpm when the turbo would spool it hit 15+ psi with no sign of stopping. now unless this was a fully built bmw engine, this is not safe for this application, and the customer was notified of this.

we took it off the dyno, the customer came by to look at it, debated whether or not to take it home, asked how much it would be to look at it for him and fix it. after we found out that the problem was one of the bolts in the custom made downpipe was so long it was keeping the internal wastegate shut.

so next day, back to the dyno. the boost would spike to 5psi then fall to 2psi. so we tried adjusting his home depot ball/spring boost controller repeatedly, and the best we could get with it at that point was 7psi, then it'd fall down to 2. that was the best that we could do with the car at the time with the way it was. he came, payed his bill, and picked up his car.

the next day, we received a call from him saying the car wasn't running right, so we asked him to drop it back off again, which he did.

another problem we were having with the car from the beginning was that the innovate lm1 that was wired to the megasquirt was not working properly. it also had an off brand air/fuel guage in the dash that was wired into the innovate wideband that was connected to the megasquirt, and it didn't read properly/consistently in the software. however if we plugged the wideband into our dyno it read fine.

he also wanted to get a boost controller to try to help with the boost issues. so he bought a used aem tru boost which i personally (Dave) wired in and charged him to install. but just like all the other USED parts on the car, it didn't work right. when we put it in and turned it on, the screen would blip out, it wouldn't read the boost right, sometimes it would work, sometimes it wouldn't.

we put the car back on the dyno, and it wasn't acting the same as it was when it left the day before. the car was retuned and it was holding boost better at the top end and wasn't falling off as bad, but because it was holding boost better it was leaning out up top.

we called the customer, asked him what kind of fuel pump he had in the car. anybody wanna take a wild guess to what was in the car.......

a stock fuel pump.

so the car was taken off the dyno, rolled off to the side, and once again waiting for him to find the best deal on parts while the car sits in our shop waiting for them to get here so we can install them.

fuel pump got here, we installed it, put it back on the dyno. more tuning. now it has enough fuel up top, and everything was running ok.i want to stress though, (our definition) at no point in time did this car EVER run great.

with the issues and condition of the car, it ran safe and was driveable. Since the customer called us 5 times a day rushing us to get it done and pick up the car. we gave him the update, he drove out here to come get it, and when he got in the car to leave, the car started blipping out again. so he had to leave it....again.

at this point in time, everyone, including the customer is over this whole event, frustrated with the car, it's inconsistencies, and the whole circumstance.

we put it back on the dyno again, do more testing and diagnostic tuning, we have records of the car being on the dyno 4 different days with recorded passes. and we know of 2 more times it was on the dyno where it couldn't make complete pulls because of the various problems. in other words the car was on the dyno 6 different times.

Inbetween these 6 times of trying to get the car running well enough given the lack of funds, and waiting on used parts, that the car needed. the customer was charged the initial dyno tune and the installation of the injectors. then when the car came back, was charged for the installation of the boost controller and fuel pump.

With the new fuel pump, basically everything with the previous tunes changed and it all had to be redone from the beginning, it's not the shops fault for not having an adequate fuel pump from the get go, so he was also charged for additional dyno time which was greatly discounted.

we all spent more time on the car than we were payed for,

we could only do so much with what we were given and what the customer could afford to pay us to do.

we could definitely have fixed it all and made this into one bad ass running e30, and we went over with him of what needed to be done and what it'd cost to do it right, and it wasn't cheap............which he declined to do.

it came to us with boost leaks, janky clamps and hoses/couplers for the intercooler, oil leaks, power steering leaks, and chatter like a deisel, etc which we never charged to address or were payed to fix, but "The car was ready to get tuned." REMEMBER??

to this day i'm sure the car still has a lot of these same parts and issues on it that it had when we saw it, that STILL need to be replaced....

A lot of the inconsistencies of the car are attributed to cheap/used parts and other electrical gremlins from just being an older bmw. the biodegradable wiring harnesses don't help any either.

Everyone has their passion and everyone has a certain type of car that they like, so no offense, but the car came in here looking like an up all night, budget build a couple drunk buddies slapped together on a whim for shits and giggles. Then came to us "ready to be tuned" but that's somehow our fault?.......

bringing the car half complete, with issues, ended up wasting our time and your money, and i would be upset about the situation as well. the difference is, i would take responsibility for the car not being ready to be tuned, not have a buddy make a screen name just to bash the unlucky shop who had to deal with this headache car.

We will gladly re-TUNE the car for FREE if the car is brought to us before friday. If the car has any other issues while the car is on the dyno other than just needing to be retuned. You will need to pay for the time and repairs.

770-343-9969

like i said, the WHOLE story. good post dave.

SOunds like someone that wanted to cheap out, and then blame the shop for his problems.

My .02 is next time, turn the car away lol. I know money is money, and you have to do what you have to do, but sometimes the $1000 you make isnt worth the time you have to defend your rep when a kid like this tries to bash you on the internet and then tell all his friends how much you "screwed" him.

Ive heard nothing but great things about Lethal, and i know Dave is a stand up guy.

I will lock this post if Lethal wants to PM me, i think this is highly slanted and biased against the shop that looks like they did a good job given the pile of garbage they had to work with
    Enterprise Data Resources- Ecommerce Project Manager
    -www.usedbarcode.net

abcdefghijklmnopqrst afwfjustin's Avatar

I don't see it necessary to jump on the guy for trying to give a review... even if it's negative. That's what this country (and forum) are for - getting/sharing/trading information.

I've also heard negative tuning issues with Lethal (and every shop!) - my friend built a car and the owner decided to tune at Lethal. The tune was so too lean, and some stuff blew. Once pulled apart, my friend saw that the forged pistons were starting to melt. While watching the car being tuned, he noticed an overall lack of respect for the car and seemed like they were just trying to shoot for a high power level. Again, don't know who tuned, or who owned the car, this is just hearsay.

All situations are different and there are tons of variables and so called's and whathaveyou's. I'm not saying they are not good at tuning, but I have heard of some other issues with the shop. I've heard issues with most shops. This doesn't mean it's not good to talk about them - sometimes bad stuff can be uncovered and it's good to have a venue to rant about. It's also good to have people come back and defend. My point is not to jump on the guy for doing so

With that said, I have talked to Dave (Z U L8R) on 240atlanta a bunch and I am hoping to have him tune my RB25 in the next few weeks. I'm not trying to bash or start problems or give the shop a bad name, I'm just saying that everyone is going to have issues with shops from time to time and not to hop on the "bash the OP" bandwagon just because he's trying to give his input

EDIT: noticed there was a page 2, and read Dave's input. Different story!

New car:
    95 S14 with RB25DET (stock boost)

Old car:
    Turbo S2000 400hp/285tq on 9:1 comp & 11psi

I hate when cars act up when you tell someone to come get em.... they dont wanna go home..

The EMPIRE

Quote Originally Posted by afwfjustin

I've also heard negative tuning issues with Lethal (and every shop!) - my friend built a car and the owner decided to tune at Lethal. The tune was so too lean, and some stuff blew. Once pulled apart, my friend saw that the forged pistons were starting to melt. While watching the car being tuned, he noticed an overall lack of respect for the car and seemed like they were just trying to shoot for a high power level. Again, don't know who tuned, or who owned the car, this is just hearsay.

thats pretty wierd, what car was this???

cause our tuner usually tunes on the softer(richer) side for boosted setups. He doesn't go for all out high power by any means, just a good tune that is safe. Granted he can also tune 1500 HP setups.

BMW FTMFW

They never called me to come pick it up, I had to call numerous times because I had to get with someone so I could have a ride to come and get the car. When the car did malfunction they didn't call me to let me know not to waste my time picking up the car.

Money was never an issue, it was more of a time factor for me and I didn't want to have to wait on my car to be rebuild when it's the only car I have to drive.

And you said that you tuned the car so that it was drive-able and safe, right? Well why wouldn't the car crank the next morning? I still have the megatune file saved to my computer and I can flash the ECU, but by this point I'm sure you believe me otherwise why would I waste my time? When someone is paying for your time to tune they aren't just paying for the car to work to the best of it's abilities at full throttle and granted the car runs great at 100% full throttle, your tuner just never touched the "drive-ability" issues otherwise it would not have so many quirks and it would be able to crank up without throttle, there are settings within the megasquirt for that. And while I'm on the MS, the ECU was bought 100% new and unused so I can see that there was some issues with the way that the LC1 was wired but I haven't had time to look into it.

I appreciate your offer but I will not be able to come by and have the car re-tuned because it's my daily driver and my work/school schedule won't allow for any free time.

Maybe another time I'll be able to come by and you guys can tune it while I'm there. But in the 4-5 months that I've had the cars back from you guys I've worked most of the kinks out which is something that I shouldn't have had to waste my time doing, when I paid a professional to do it in the first place.

I would have tuned the car myself with some friends but I figured I'd help out a shop that another BMW enthusiast recommended to me.

All that Dave said was mostly true about my car. Except for a few things as stated above.

As far as the bull shit parts that were on the car, I never was able to see the quality of them before they were put on my car otherwise I wouldn't have bought the parts. The parts went straight to a local shop where a mechanic and his crew that I've known for years installed them.

If anything else needs to be addressed just ask.
    Jeff

They never called me to come pick it up, I had to call numerous times because I had to get with someone so I could have a ride to come and get the car. When the car did malfunction they didn't call me to let me know not to waste my time picking up the car.

Money was never an issue, it was more of a time factor for me and I didn't want to have to wait on my car to be rebuild when it's the only car I have to drive.

And you said that you tuned the car so that it was drive-able and safe, right? Well why wouldn't the car crank the next morning? I still have the megatune file saved to my computer and I can flash the ECU, but by this point I'm sure you believe me otherwise why would I waste my time? When someone is paying for your time to tune they aren't just paying for the car to work to the best of it's abilities at full throttle and granted the car runs great at 100% full throttle, your tuner just never touched the "drive-ability" issues otherwise it would not have so many quirks and it would be able to crank up without throttle, there are settings within the megasquirt for that. And while I'm on the MS, the ECU was bought 100% new and unused so I can see that there was some issues with the way that the LC1 was wired but I haven't had time to look into it.

I appreciate your offer but I will not be able to come by and have the car re-tuned because it's my daily driver and my work/school schedule won't allow for any free time.

Maybe another time I'll be able to come by and you guys can tune it while I'm there. But in the 4-5 months that I've had the cars back from you guys I've worked most of the kinks out which is something that I shouldn't have had to waste my time doing, when I paid a professional to do it in the first place.

I would have tuned the car myself with some friends but I figured I'd help out a shop that another BMW enthusiast recommended to me.

All that Dave said was mostly true about my car. Except for a few things as stated above.

As far as the bull shit parts that were on the car, I never was able to see the quality of them before they were put on my car otherwise I wouldn't have bought the parts. The parts went straight to a local shop where a mechanic and his crew that I've known for years installed them.

If anything else needs to be addressed just ask.
    Jeff

So what I am getting from your response is:

"I sent my car for you to tune even though I installed crappy parts on my hardly functioning BMW and even though there were MANY issues with my car that went beyond the "original" agreement of a simple MS tune, I am not to blame for all the accessory work that has/had to be done in order for it to make even just a simple dyno pull and charging me for all the extra hours you had to put into it is unthinkable????!!!??...

I don't get you man... Lethal seems like they bent over backwards for you and all you can do is complain that they didn't make your Cheap Ebay parts magically work on your car?

Seems to me, that if you built a car with parts that do not work as they were intended, no amount of tuning in the world would ever get it to run correctly...
    And on top of doing the best they could for you with the parts you supplied, they also told you what you needed to do to fix the issue...
    You declined to listen to them and chose to take your car anyways becaues you had to "go to work/school"...

Don't come on the internet and complain about how You made the decision to modify your freaking "daily driver"and now your life sucks because it doesn't run right... if your livelihood depends on a old BMW, car modding is not the hobby for you right now...(I hear Knitting is entertaining)

man up and deal with your car...buy quality parts the first time around...
    Last edited by Complication; 03-11-2009 at 12:01 AM.

BMW FTMFW

Quote Originally Posted by Complication
    So what I am getting from your response is:

"I sent my car for you to tune even though I installed crappy parts on my hardly functioning BMW and even though there were MANY issues with my car that went beyond the "original" agreement of a simple MS tune, I am not to blame for all the accessory work that has/had to be done in order for it to make even just a simple dyno pull and charging me for all the extra hours you had to put into it is unthinkable????!!!??...

I don't get you man... Lethal seems like they bent over backwards for you and all you can do is complain that they didn't make your Cheap Ebay parts magically work on your car?

Seems to me, that if you built a car with parts that do not work as they were intended, no amount of tuning in the world would ever get it to run correctly...
    And on top of doing the best they could for you with the parts you supplied, they also told you what you needed to do to fix the issue...
    You declined to listen to them and chose to take your car anyways becaues you had to "go to work/school"...

Don't come on the internet and complain about how You made the decision to modify your freaking "daily driver"and now your life sucks because it doesn't run right... if your livelihood depends on a POS BMW, car modding is not the hobby for you right now...(I hear Knitting is entertaining)

man up and deal with your car...buy quality parts the first time around...
    You obviously haven't read the entire thread. I did listen to the advice but I put it on my to-do list and haven't had time get what I need, but I intend to do so this summer when I'm out of school. And I paid for the extra work they performed including installing the fuel pump and the ebc. And this POS BMW is running but for the amount of money I spent I shouldn't have had to tune anything.

And this POS BMW is running but for the amount of money I spent I shouldn't have had to tune anything.
    Simply put, under these circumstances, I can't agree with you less...

You obviously haven't read the entire thread. I did listen to the advice but I put it on my to-do list and haven't had time get what I need, but I intend to do so this summer when I'm out of school. And I paid for the extra work they performed including installing the fuel pump and the ebc. And this POS BMW is running but for the amount of money I spent I shouldn't have had to tune anything.

then why are you complaining if you KNOW that your parts are crap, but still wanted perfect tune. its like saying you want to go go track racing with some Nexen tires, then bitch out Nexen when you slide off the track cause you bought shitty used tires. see where I am going with this.

I knew about this turbo kit before you even put it on the car. I also know that it didnt run right on the other car/s that it was installed on as well. Your setup was no exception. I also know that you were told my another third party not to get this thrown together "turbo kit", because there were cheap parts and lots of issues. I watched your car every time it was on the dyno, looked and sounded like it was going to blow up every time. You even asked me how much it was to Fab an external wastgate, but then said you already had one coming, cause you couldnt afford that. The wiring was horrible, the installation was worse and the parts were crap. Half the time the program would fuck up and not even work correctly.

however a few months later after you have "fixed" the tune, but still not fixed the associated issues that caused all the problems, you come on here and shoot everything down and make it seem like you are this victim customer that did nothing wrong.

Dont pull that shit, you know exactly what you had and tested us to see if we could make your "Bag O' Turbo Kit" work. Either get the good parts and work with us or stop bashing.

Quote Originally Posted by Z U L8R

It's a waste of time and money to try to tune a car when it's not ready to be tuned. that's the moral of the story.

a tune is going to tune the air/fuel ratio's and timing
    when the rest of the car is operating correctly. if the car is not operating correctly/consistantly there is no way you can get a correct/consistent tune.

bringing the car half complete, with issues, ended up wasting our time and your money, and i would be upset about the situation as well. the difference is, i would take responsibility for the car not being ready to be tuned, not have a buddy make a screen name just to bash the unlucky shop who had to deal with this headache car.

We will gladly re-TUNE the car for FREE if the car is brought to us before friday. If the car has any other issues while the car is on the dyno other than just needing to be retuned. You will need to pay for the time and repairs.

770-343-9969
    *PM*

Quote:
    Originally Posted by magicandmisc
    What is a time and a day that I can come by and wait on the car to be tuned? A Saturday would work best for me.
    Jeff

Jeff, because of the circumstances that you created with the car and your thread, we're offering to re-TUNE it for free no later than friday.

The offer doesn't stand for next week or the day after. We've given your car way more attention than you've paid for and in return we got our business and reputation bashed by you and your friends.

If you need more time to fix issues on the car and or can't bring the car to be tuned by this friday then we will tune it at the regular price of $600.

Dave

*end of PM*

Jeff,

1. you're contradicting yourself, and admitting that when you first called us and said "all it needs is bigger injectors installed and a tune," that was a Lie.

2. you've agreed that there are other issues on the car that you still need to address and haven't had the time to fix yet.

your words "I did listen to the advice but I put it on my to-do list and haven't had time get what I need"

3. We pointed out MANY issues that this car had before we strapped it to the dyno to tune it, but all you wanted to do was tune.

You stated that money wasn't an issue in this thread but when you were here your reason for not being able to fix the issues we gave you for your "to-do" list was.....money.

4. We charged you our regular tuning price of $600 and $50 for installing your injectors. that's $650

then you came back because the car still wasn't running right, and we come to find out it still has a stock 20+ year old fuel pump in it. so we install the fuel pump and wire in the used boost controller for $200. And after the other 4 times of the car being on the dyno and the tuner wasting his time on the car, we charged you $400 in additional dyno/tuning time.

grand total you spent about $1250-1300 after tax/shop supplies

5. we ALL agree in our 20/20 hind-sight that you wasted $1000 in tuning by trying to tune the car when it had a bunch of issues and wasn't ready to be tuned, as stated previously in my point #2 and you in your "to-do" list.

so you're upset you wasted your money, but instead of taking responsibility for your actions, you blame the shop.

my point for #5 however is that out of all that 1300 bucks, only $200 we charged you ever went towards addressing 2 of the many issues, installing the used retarded boost controller that worked when it wanted to, and a fuel pump that isn't 20 years old and designed to work on a naturally aspirated bmw.

so for you to say and imply that you PAID for your car to be fixed absolutely perfect, without any "quirks" or problems, is a lie as well.

so what you're saying is,

1. You lied about the car being ready to be tuned

2. You wasted your own money because of that

3. You know the car still has issues that need to be fixed before it's ready to be tuned

4. You know the parts you bought are crap now that you could see them

5. It's all our fault the car runs like crap

Dave
    Last edited by Z U L8R; 03-11-2009 at 10:31 AM.

Certified Gearhead

Quote Originally Posted by Bus Driver J
    Im sorry, I wouldnt allow someone to tune my car if they have no clue what a run-on sentence is. This may help you out some.
    Punctation

If he seriously had a problem with it he should have immediately gone back to the shop. Now that you have done something to it, I feel as if its totally out of their hands now. You have interfered with the original tune which makes it no longer their tune. If something happens to the car, its YOUR fault.
    This is also my

maybe punctuation?

Elite Window Tinting DynamicSound's Avatar

Not taking sides, but it is a pain when people use used parts and then blame the malfunction on the shop. Late last year, I had a repeat customer bring a used DVD player from his old vehicle for me to install in his dad's taxi. I had 2 vehicles ahead of him, but would be wrapped with them in like 5 minutes. So they showed me where the box was with the dvd player and told me everything was there. They were on a deadline, so as they were talking, I was knocking out on of the cars. They left. I get to the car and come to find out they didn't have the wiring harness to plug into the dvd player. I tried calling him and the dad. An hour goes by and he finally calls me back. So they come back by and come to find out he left it in the car, still installed, and the car is long gone. So the dad wanted to blame me because I was the "expert" for the harness not being there.

*UPDATE*

Jeff dropped the car off wednesday night

Roy got to tune the cold start because this time the fuel pump would turn on every time you turn the key to the On position, where as previously it wouldn't.

The Megasquirt was still having issues with the Innovate wideband in the car. When you first start the car it gets about 10 volts to heat up the wideband and calibrate itself, then you gotta rev it a bit before the charging system kicks in. Which is a problem because the wideband will tell the EMS that the car is running richer or leaner depending on what the voltage was at the time when it was calibrating itself thus making the car run funky sometimes and decent at other times.

Therefore in order to keep the car consistent we had to lock out the wideband from the EMS so the car would run as consistent as possible. On the downside, the car would definitely run MUCH better all around if it had a consistent/accurate air fuel reading at all times.

He spent more time tuning the driveability and also double checking everything at wide open throttle. The car only made ~3psi at wide open throttle, and the driveability improved greatly. There is however a blip/flat spot at like 10% throttle which could be a flat spot in the Throttle position sensor itself , or the tps needing to be adjusted.

Jeff called the shop and we talked about the car some, I mentioned the boost being low and he asked me to adjust the external wastegate, and I let him know the cold start was good because the fuel pump was priming when the key was on consistently. I suggested us keeping the car another day to check the cold start in the morning and do further tuning, no problem there.

Friday morning I adjusted the wastage arm 1/2 a turn because that's all it would move with pliars and brute force, and I put a washer and cotter pin through the end because i noticed there was nothing there to keep the arm from falling off the flap.

The car was cold and started right up and idled smoothly, however I did smell a little bit of fuel but I figured the car was just cold so it was running rich which is normal. I went back inside and went back to the car I was working on.

Roy came and got me and went over with me all the issues he was seeing with the car as well as pointed out to me fuel leaking all down the driver's side of the motor.

Me and Jeff spoke more about the car and I let him know the situation, and I recommended he bring some tools so he could fix his fuel leak because I didn't want to charge him any money for working on the car.

Jeff called and said he was on his way later in the day, I said cool, see u in a bit. Then a little later he called back saying he was stuck on the side of the road, that his buddy's e30 just had some tires put on and on the way to the shop one of the tires fell off lol.

I let Jeff talk to Ham since he has a truck to see if he could pick them up since they were stranded. I think they worked out that they'd use 3 lugs on each wheel and continue their way to the shop.

Jeff got here, tightened whatever to remedy the fuel leak, then test drove the car. Once again, the car started right up cold.

He came back and we talked about the car and what things still need to be addressed before the thing will drive perfectly

this is the major things we see at the moment that need to be addressed.

1. First and foremost, the EMS needs a better Wide Band as an air fuel reference, and the car will run and drive sooooo much better

2. The charging system needs to be gone over.

3. The TPS needs to be checked/adjusted/replaced as well as the idle set screw may need to be adjusted after that to try to address the flat spot at the first blip of the throttle. It's also a possibility that the flat spot was due to the fuel leak, or it may have nothing to do with any of these likely culprits and it needs to be diagnosed and addressed on it's own.

* Moral of the story to all, get all the problems worked out with your car before trying to get it tuned.

* If you're not mechanically inclined enough to do so, pay a professional for his time to do so and THEN get the car tuned.

* Tuning a car means adjusting the air/fuel ratio's and timing when everything else on the car is doing what it's supposed to do.

* Paying for a tune is not paying for multiple problems to be diagnosed, paying for a tune is not paying for the time to fix problems, or paying for the part needing to be replaced/installed/adjusted.

* Paying for a car to be tuned, means paying for the air/fuel ratio's and timing to be adjusted so the car runs as well as it can, as safe as it can, and as good as it can with what combination of parts/engine management system is on the car.

If you have a car with junkyard parts, electrical problems, leaks, and a $150 engine management system, please make sure to address all the existing issues before bringing it to be tuned.

thanks,
    770-343-9969

Osaka Sokutatsu mocha latte cupcake's Avatar

well written, and i'm glad to see that LETHAL Injection has proven their point. Dave is an outstanding tech, and a great guy! always happy to do business with him. Glad to see things worked out/heading in the proper direction to make both parties happy.

Wow so glad I didn't pick this car up..... Nice thread
    DxdRacingClutches.com

Jordan, this was the black POS I saw at TRM with the E46 seats in it??? WOW, is all I have to say, :rofl.

To the guys at Lethal - I know nothing of you guys, but I saw the car once. I feel your pain.

This is a perfect example of a shop that goes above and beyond. kudos to Lethal for taking care of a customer, even AFTER they blasted them on the internet.

That level of customer service to an obvious "kid" who knows nothing about modding a car, should really prove what kind of first class shop they are. It would have been easy for them to say "the car was a POS have a nice life"

I think the evidence is pretty clear, the shop went way above and beyond the call of duty, the customer was just incompetent when it comes to modding a car, and what TUNING really means.

Cheap , Fast, Reliable, PICK 2

Case closed, judgement for Lethal
    Enterprise Data Resources- Ecommerce Project Manager
    -www.usedbarcode.net