Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: First Motorex, now Kaizo. More GTRs seized by police forces from Cali owners.

Default First Motorex, now Kaizo. More GTRs seized by police forces from Cali owners.

http://gtrusa.blogspot.com/2009/09/r...izo-drama.html

Autoblog

The importation of the Nissan Skyline GT-R to the United States has been a Hollywood-sized epic spanning ten years. For a while, the only game in town was to go through Motorex for a crash-tested, USDOT and EPA-approved Godzilla. Unfortunately, the company owner let his fondness of Japanese hostess clubs take precedence over delivering cars. Since Motorex shut its doors in 2005, enthusiasts have been scouring each and every loophole in US Customs laws to keep the supplies flowing. In 2006 ,a company called Kaizo began taking orders. Their model, vastly different from Motorex's expensive methods, involved the importation of specialty-constructed Nissan Skyline GT-R bodies from Japan to be mated with customer-supplied powertrains upon delivery to the United States, thus creating a kit car (to put it simply).

Following the tradition that is the GT-R saga, Kaizo's actions have recently been called into question by pretty much every acronymed authority -- DOT, EPA, ICE, CARB, DOJ and FBI. Charges against Kaizo have yet to be filed, but along with a raid on company headquarters, various customers have been delivered letters suggesting exportation and some have even lost their rides. To date, five R34s and one R32 GT-R have been seized by kevlar-clad armed officers. Exasperated customers have banded together in an attempt to find some salvation in this mess, and it isn't only hardcore enthusiasts left out in the cold by the scandal either. Recently, rather high-profile operation utilized Kaizo resources to create a valuable franchise, and if the drama keeps up at this rate, perhaps the Nissan Skyline GT-R story could be their next project.

What The Hell

you would think this would say something to nissan. i dont know what all would have to be done but im pretty sure they would sell a shit load if they started producing them over here

and i mean really they need that kinda force to get these cars from these people. they treat them like they are serial killers or something. I mean come on. there are killers and drug dealers out there but they are more worried about getting these cars off the street.

These were too funny...

Reader Comments (Page 1 of 2)
    Alex Nunez1
    Alex Nunez 11:12AM (10/03/2009)

Thank God we have the Feds' kevlar ninja stormtroopers to protect us from the extreme, clear and present danger that is potentially non-compliant Japanese imported sports cars...

3 stars ↓↑report
    Clavius2
    Clavius 7:10PM (10/03/2009)

Of course they hired the kevlar ninja's.. they heard that pirates where importing the Skylines! (had to say it lol)

2 stars ↓↑report
    James3
    James 7:17PM (10/03/2009)

"Following the tradition that is the GT-R saga, Kaizo's actions have recently been called into question by pretty much every acronymed authority -- DOT, EPA, ICE, CARB, DOJ and FBI..."

King Kong (Feds) vs. Godzilla

2 stars ↓↑report
    De4
    De 9:59PM (10/03/2009)

I say we pull all troops out of Iraq and Afghanistan and fight this growing threat!

3 stars ↓↑report
    Visnick5
    Visnick 11:02PM (10/03/2009)

Yes, all five of them.
    I want my tax money back!

2 stars ↓↑report
    Rick C.6
    Rick C. 7:18PM (10/03/2009)

The DOT, EPA, ICE, CARB, DOJ and FBI are involved?!? The CIA, USGS and NASA got hosed.

3 stars ↓↑report
    NICK7
    NICK 7:26PM (10/03/2009)

Its stupid... whats the problem with them... so there right hand drive, but they are safe there... so wouldnt that mean they are safer here with our crash test regulations... not 3 months ago, i saw a r32 skyline at a drift event, in the parking lot. and a 19 year old was driving it, it sounded like an rb engine, so if that onel slipped why is a big problem now...

1 star ↓↑report
    leitplanke8
    leitplanke 7:27PM (10/03/2009)

what a nice car...

3 stars ↓↑report
    Mitchell Scott9
    Mitchell Scott 7:28PM (10/03/2009)

These people obsessed with importing Skylines seem to not realize that there are indeed other cars out there....

Half a star ↓↑report
    mact10
    mact 7:32PM (10/03/2009)

People will go great lengths for CERTAIN cars. Do a little research on the R34 GTR and you will find out how great that piece of machinery really is. In many ways it's still better than the new GTR.

3 stars ↓↑report
    IK8411
    IK84 7:37PM (10/03/2009)

Wait... is this the same California that is currently bankrupt? Gee wiz... they cant afford to pay people of the state, but they sure can afford to send out agents to confiscate harmless cars.

3 stars ↓↑report
    Catapult12
    Catapult 7:45PM (10/03/2009)

Harmless? These skylines are clearly the #1 cause of global warming, the economic meltdown and the death of polar bears. Kaizo must be stopped!

/sarcasm

3 stars ↓↑report
    Clavius13
    Clavius 7:52PM (10/03/2009)

For the love of god think of the POLAR BEARS!!!!!!! lol

3 stars ↓↑report
    click_playaz14
    click_playaz 8:11PM (10/03/2009)

OH I see, so Polar bears are Godzilla's food.

2.5 stars ↓↑report
    click_playaz15

I mean prey*

2 stars ↓↑report
    Visnick16
    Visnick 11:04PM (10/03/2009)

+1

2 stars ↓↑report
    Azrael4h17
    Azrael4h 8:17PM (10/03/2009)

The problem is that Nissan, nor this fellow running this operation, paid Uncle Sam the requisite massive extortion fees to "legalize" these cars. That's big bucks there. Millions.

You know, that body style is still very attractive... Nissan should just bring it to the US on a G37/Z370 chassis. Make sure it passes crash testing (easy, since it would be using existing, legal cars' guts) and emissions (also easy, for the same reason), and we have a Skyline in the US. I'd bet it'd sell well to non-enthusiasts who recognize it from the Gay and the Transvestite movie that came out earlier this year.

Of course, I have no idea on the costs to do so, but they don't need any styling work done, and 90% of the engineering can be parts-binned out of the G37/Z370 box. So no more than a minimal investment. Offer it in sedan as well as coupe form, and as a Nissan, so it doesn't compete with the Z and so it has more mainstream appeal. Gotta keep prices low though, or it'll compete vs the G37.

2 stars ↓↑report
    mbslrm18
    mbslrm 7:44PM (10/03/2009)

Can't the owners just have them detuned/modified to met the regulations?

2 stars ↓↑report
    click_playaz19
    click_playaz 7:47PM (10/03/2009)

Skyline GT-R and GT-R are Godzillas, then Lexus LF-A is a Kyubi.

2 stars ↓↑report
    JDM Life20
    JDM Life 7:50PM (10/03/2009)

+ 1

Im guessin Kyubi is stronger then Godzilla?

damn. the epa doesnt want to see this car does it
    wealth is of the mind and not the pockett

That's sad, especially since those skylines are sexy.

www.jasontbarker.com speedminded's Avatar

*Waits for Type-R's response* I gave the warning, they're cracking down and when that 2010 Skyline meet comes around there's going to be a lot of unhappy Skyline owners.

Quote Originally Posted by speedminded View Post
    *Waits for Type-R's response* I gave the warning, they're cracking down and when that 2010 Skyline meet comes around there's going to be a lot of unhappy Skyline owners.
    Yeah this is news from 4 months ago

All of the guys that own these cars are working with a lawyer presently

http://skylineownersusa.com/forums/announcement.php?f=2
    http://skylineownersusa.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=4770

This ONLY pertains to Kaizo/Nissanie cars. The common factor in it all is Daryl Alison. This is no different then the old Skyline King mess, only thing is that Kaizo did 10x more importing then Skyline King managed to do before getting shut down.

Senior Member | IA Veteran quickdodge®'s Avatar

*Waits for Type-R's response*
    Lolol. Later, QD.
    FOR MORE INFO, CLICK THE PIC!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Type-R View Post
    Yeah this is news from 4 months ago

All of the guys that own these cars are working with a lawyer presently

http://skylineownersusa.com/forums/announcement.php?f=2
    http://skylineownersusa.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=4770

This ONLY pertains to Kaizo/Nissanie cars. The common factor in it all is Daryl Alison. This is no different then the old Skyline King mess, only thing is that Kaizo did 10x more importing then Skyline King managed to do before getting shut down.
    Thats good to hear!

I have never and probably will never own a Skyline(but i like them) but this shit is stupid....there are MUCH bigger problems out there besides cars. There has to be some way to stop this or atleast get people their money back. The way I see it is the government is stealing cars...I mean...they are not the ones that purchased these cars....yet they take them from people...hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by oneSLOWex View Post
    but this shit is stupid....there are MUCH bigger problems out there besides cars.

Skylines are a danger to everyone if you ask the import/customs office of the NHTSA, one of them was quoted saying these cars were like rocket ships with all kinds of electronics and doodads

Thats good to hear!

I have never and probably will never own a Skyline(but i like them) but this shit is stupid....there are MUCH bigger problems out there besides cars. There has to be some way to stop this or atleast get people their money back. The way I see it is the government is stealing cars...I mean...they are not the ones that purchased these cars....yet they take them from people...hmmm
    The government seizing something they consider federally illegal is stealing now? So with that logic if I bought a Class III weapon without going through the proper procedures of obtaining the required permit to purchase and possess it you're saying it would be wrong for them to seize it and put me in jail? Despite it being illegal [to me] I paid for it so it should be mine and I should have the right to use it how I see fit?

Skylines are a danger to everyone if you ask the import/customs office of the NHTSA, one of them was quoted saying these cars were like rocket ships with all kinds of electronics and doodads
    WOW are you kidding me?
    The government seizing something they consider federally illegal is stealing now? So with that logic if I bought a Class III weapon without going through the proper procedures of obtaining the required permit to purchase and possess it you're saying it would be wrong for them to seize it and put me in jail? Despite it being illegal [to me] I paid for it so it should be mine right?
    Skylines dont kill people LOL

I wonder how many of these people purchased their cars thinking they were legal?

Skylines dont kill people LOL

I wonder how many of these people purchased their cars thinking they were legal?
    Guns don't kill people.

How many of them purchased a Kaizo in attempt to get around the federal laws specifically banning them?

It took 10 years and over $1,000,000 for Bill Gates to finally get to drive his Porsche 959 on US Soil...

Senior Member | IA Veteran quickdodge®'s Avatar

The government seizing something they consider federally illegal is stealing now? So with that logic if I bought a Class III weapon without going through the proper procedures of obtaining the required permit to purchase and possess it you're saying it would be wrong for them to seize it and put me in jail? Despite it being illegal [to me] I paid for it so it should be mine and I should have the right to use it how I see fit?
    Exactly. Again. You buy something you weren't supposed to buy means it was never yours. You can't steal from someone what doesn't belong to that someone. Later, QD.
    FOR MORE INFO, CLICK THE PIC!!!

Quote Originally Posted by quickdodge® View Post
    Exactly. Again. You buy something you weren't supposed to buy means it was never yours. You can't steal from someone what doesn't belong to that someone. Later, QD.
    That's actually not the case with Kaizo. Vehicle sales and customs are 2 different monsters, just becasue a vehicle is non-compliant with standards and is not eligible for importation doesn't mean that if someone buys it the sale is voided.

The NHTSA doesn't seize the vehicles off the bat, they tell the owner you have x amount of days to get it out of the country or else we'll take care of it for you. It's very common for the owners to be in over their heads at that point and just have the agents take the car. Money is a big factor because you have to shell out upwards of $5,000 to send the car someone out of the country and then on top of that have some place for the car to go, which generally people don't because they live in the U.S. and don't know anyone outside or have a storage location for it.

Wow, what a waste.

LOL @ the replies.

Leisa and S. 4 Life NM?

Lol. This is funny because this exact same thing happened to my brother, though on the importer end. He brought in 6 cars and the guy sent them in open deck. EPA nabbed em. There was a Pulsar GTIr, en Evo 5 I think it was, a Skyline or 2 and something else.

After taking them, they never got back in touch with him except to threaten him over monies and all that. Then they stopped calling. About 3 or 4 months later, the Evo showed up at an auction. They never contacted him, nothing. Basically snapped his cars, then sold em and pocketed the money. I think they got him for about $60,000 in cars and transportation fees. He was pissed.

The sad fact in this is that silver o0ne, with the plastic wrap on it most likely put there by the owner thinking he was protecting it until he got it back, is never getting that car back. The EPA will never let that thing go. They will sell it as an off road vehicle, OR they will take a sawsall to the unibody rails and render it unusable and sell it for parts.

The greatest part in all of this is that with 2 wars, Healthcare, Gay Rights, Unemployment and the likes, they go after the guys who are more than likely productive members of society (who can afford the vehicles legally or so they though) and take some Skylines. What a wonderful Free country we live in.

Garage-Sixgun
    If you're gonna do it, overdo it.

Dirty Octopus Photography. Magic with a shutter!

I love America !

Why are the FBI agents going after car enthusiasts?

Why are they not going after those who killed, raped, robbed, and those that are still on the run from the law?

It's like 1 "unsafe" Skyline to 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 "safe" cars.
    BUY MY HATCH <--click the link, cuz.

Well, the Skyline is no more unsafe than any other car. ESPECIALLY some of the cars I see running all over the roads down here in Ga.

The reasons they are after them are Emissions related. The funny thing about that though, is that most of the vehicles in the outlying counties around Atlanta are WAY worse on the environment than that Skyline is. It's just the fact that it does not meet Federal Emissions standards. Thats the reason they go after them. Skylines are also high profile targets simply because they are the king daddy of Japanese Tuner cars, and as we all know.....EVERYONE in a tricked Japanese car is a racer. So what better way to kill 2 birds with one stone than go after the most expensive Japanese cars out there.

Plus, once they get them. they will sell them and make profit over someone elses loss. The good old American way of sticking it to the little guy in the most ridiculous ways possible.

Unfortunately, it is illegal to own them. No matter how you slice it you are breaking the law to own one. Doesn't matter how stupid it is, it's the law. Sort of like doing your woman in the bottom on Sunday in Minnesota I think it is, it's dumb, but against the law. Just they don't arrest you for that.

Garage-Sixgun

Quote Originally Posted by Glides View Post
    EPA nabbed em.

The EPA doesn't seize vehicles, ICE does

Quote Originally Posted by HeLLo iM iZzY View Post
    Why are they not going after those who killed, raped, robbed, and those that are still on the run from the law?
    Because it's easier for them to go after petty things. FBI has little interest in seizing cars though they are working on the case, it's ICE and CARB that are the big hitters right now. Everyone has to justify their jobs and why they should continue to get paid.

Unfortunately, it is illegal to own them. No matter how you slice it you are breaking the law to own one. Doesn't matter how stupid it is, it's the law. Sort of like doing your woman in the bottom on Sunday in Minnesota I think it is, it's dumb, but against the law. Just they don't arrest you for that.
    It's not illegal to own them, it all depends on how the cars arrived in the country and what motor is installed in the car, that's it. There's tons of guys I know driving around DR30's and older cars, as well as R32's, etc. that are not for street use, 100% legal to own.

FMVSS apply to vehicles for road use which is why the NHTSA (National Highway and Traffic Saftey Administration) governs the rules.

Again, Daryl is in hot water because of how he brought his cars in the country and hooked up lots of his customers.

The EPA doesn't seize vehicles, ICE does

Interesting, since EPA took my brothers, all 6 of them. Right off the dock when they were offloaded. He even got a nice call from the EPA man to alert him to the fact.

Garage-Sixgun

Interesting, since EPA took my brothers, all 6 of them. Right off the dock when they were offloaded. He even got a nice call from the EPA man to alert him to the fact.
    Really, when ICE (Immigrations and Customs Enforcement) are the ones with agents to handle such matters. The EPA only cares what motors are in cars and if they meet emissions standards, which doesn't come into play until after a car has arrived at a RI facility.

It's not illegal to own them, it all depends on how the cars arrived in the country and what motor is installed in the car, that's it. There's tons of guys I know driving around DR30's and older cars, as well as R32's, etc. that are not for street use, 100% legal to own.

FMVSS apply to vehicles for road use which is why the NHTSA (National Highway and Traffic Saftey Administration) governs the rules.

Again, Daryl is in hot water because of how he brought his cars in the country and hooked up lots of his customers.
    Also, anything 25 years and older IS legal to own. Under 25 years, legal to own, not drive on street. Sure you can get a title for one if you are tricky at the DMV, but it is NOT legal and if it's looked into close enough, it will be spotted. You used to be able to bring them over with the Military. I once almost bought a Soarer that was brought in like that.

Sure it's legal for you to own one, but NOT legal for you to drive it on the street. There used to be the Rally rule, I think it's still in effect. If you owned one, y ou could own it for one year, then it had to either be sold or go back out of the country.

Garage-Sixgun

Really, when ICE (Immigrations and Customs Enforcement) are the ones with agents to handle such matters. The EPA only cares what motors are in cars and if they meet emissions standards, which doesn't come into play until after a car has arrived at a RI facility.
    They arrived in I think Savannah, and as they were offloaded, they were nabbed. The EPA called and saidd the cars had been seized. I'm not making this stuff up. I can get the port if you need it.

Garage-Sixgun

You used to be able to bring them over with the Military. I once almost bought a Soarer that was brought in like that.

If you owned one, y ou could own it for one year, then it had to either be sold or go back out of the country.
    Military can still ship them through what's called TMO, but the vehicles must be listed on the non-conforming able to be modified into compliance list via the NHTSA.

The 1 year temporary import rule only applies to non U.S. citizens eligible to bring along a POV while they are on temp status in the U.S. This is most commonly seen during GumBall rallies.

They arrived in I think Savannah, and as they were offloaded, they were nabbed. The EPA called and saidd the cars had been seized. I'm not making this stuff up. I can get the port if you need it.
    I would highly suggest next time to ship the chassis and engine/tranny seperate, that prevents any questions.

I would highly suggest next time to ship the chassis and engine/tranny seperate, that prevents any questions.
    After losing his $60k, he didn't ship anything else in. The first shipment came in a container and the shippers hung 2 cars from the roof of the container with come-a-longs. They broke and if you have been to any Drift events and seen the Gold and cream Soarer with the messed up rear roofline, or the Purple Skyline 4 door, you will know how that ended.

The saddest part about the whole Skyline thing is that no matter how they are brought in, or registered, they are never fully safe. The government can come and get em. Either way they still do not meet EPA or DOT standards. They mostly only go after the ones in Cali though that I am aware of. I am sure some are targetted elsewhere but mostly in Cali. Also, they rarely go after other vehicles.

Garage-Sixgun

Quote Originally Posted by EJ25RUN View Post
    These were too funny...

Reader Comments (Page 1 of 2)
    Alex Nunez1
    Alex Nunez 11:12AM (10/03/2009)

Thank God we have the Feds' kevlar ninja stormtroopers to protect us from the extreme, clear and present danger that is potentially non-compliant Japanese imported sports cars...

3 stars ↓↑report
    Clavius2
    Clavius 7:10PM (10/03/2009)

Of course they hired the kevlar ninja's.. they heard that pirates where importing the Skylines! (had to say it lol)

2 stars ↓↑report
    James3
    James 7:17PM (10/03/2009)

"Following the tradition that is the GT-R saga, Kaizo's actions have recently been called into question by pretty much every acronymed authority -- DOT, EPA, ICE, CARB, DOJ and FBI..."

King Kong (Feds) vs. Godzilla

2 stars ↓↑report
    De4
    De 9:59PM (10/03/2009)

I say we pull all troops out of Iraq and Afghanistan and fight this growing threat!

3 stars ↓↑report
    Visnick5
    Visnick 11:02PM (10/03/2009)

Yes, all five of them.
    I want my tax money back!

2 stars ↓↑report
    Rick C.6
    Rick C. 7:18PM (10/03/2009)

The DOT, EPA, ICE, CARB, DOJ and FBI are involved?!? The CIA, USGS and NASA got hosed.

3 stars ↓↑report
    NICK7
    NICK 7:26PM (10/03/2009)

Its stupid... whats the problem with them... so there right hand drive, but they are safe there... so wouldnt that mean they are safer here with our crash test regulations... not 3 months ago, i saw a r32 skyline at a drift event, in the parking lot. and a 19 year old was driving it, it sounded like an rb engine, so if that onel slipped why is a big problem now...

1 star ↓↑report
    leitplanke8
    leitplanke 7:27PM (10/03/2009)

what a nice car...

3 stars ↓↑report
    Mitchell Scott9
    Mitchell Scott 7:28PM (10/03/2009)

These people obsessed with importing Skylines seem to not realize that there are indeed other cars out there....

Half a star ↓↑report
    mact10
    mact 7:32PM (10/03/2009)

People will go great lengths for CERTAIN cars. Do a little research on the R34 GTR and you will find out how great that piece of machinery really is. In many ways it's still better than the new GTR.

3 stars ↓↑report
    IK8411
    IK84 7:37PM (10/03/2009)

Wait... is this the same California that is currently bankrupt? Gee wiz... they cant afford to pay people of the state, but they sure can afford to send out agents to confiscate harmless cars.

3 stars ↓↑report
    Catapult12
    Catapult 7:45PM (10/03/2009)

Harmless? These skylines are clearly the #1 cause of global warming, the economic meltdown and the death of polar bears. Kaizo must be stopped!

/sarcasm

3 stars ↓↑report
    Clavius13
    Clavius 7:52PM (10/03/2009)

For the love of god think of the POLAR BEARS!!!!!!! lol

3 stars ↓↑report
    click_playaz14

OH I see, so Polar bears are Godzilla's food.

2.5 stars ↓↑report
    click_playaz15

I mean prey*

2 stars ↓↑report
    Visnick16
    Visnick 11:04PM (10/03/2009)

+1

2 stars ↓↑report
    Azrael4h17
    Azrael4h 8:17PM (10/03/2009)

The problem is that Nissan, nor this fellow running this operation, paid Uncle Sam the requisite massive extortion fees to "legalize" these cars. That's big bucks there. Millions.

You know, that body style is still very attractive... Nissan should just bring it to the US on a G37/Z370 chassis. Make sure it passes crash testing (easy, since it would be using existing, legal cars' guts) and emissions (also easy, for the same reason), and we have a Skyline in the US. I'd bet it'd sell well to non-enthusiasts who recognize it from the Gay and the Transvestite movie that came out earlier this year.

Of course, I have no idea on the costs to do so, but they don't need any styling work done, and 90% of the engineering can be parts-binned out of the G37/Z370 box. So no more than a minimal investment. Offer it in sedan as well as coupe form, and as a Nissan, so it doesn't compete with the Z and so it has more mainstream appeal. Gotta keep prices low though, or it'll compete vs the G37.

2 stars ↓↑report
    mbslrm18
    mbslrm 7:44PM (10/03/2009)

Can't the owners just have them detuned/modified to met the regulations?

2 stars ↓↑report
    click_playaz19
    click_playaz 7:47PM (10/03/2009)

Skyline GT-R and GT-R are Godzillas, then Lexus LF-A is a Kyubi.

2 stars ↓↑report
    JDM Life20
    JDM Life 7:50PM (10/03/2009)

+ 1

Im guessin Kyubi is stronger then Godzilla?

OMG HAHAHAHHAHAHAH
    Vossen CV3 20x9 & 20x10.5

Also, anything 25 years and older IS legal to own. Under 25 years, legal to own, not drive on street. Sure you can get a title for one if you are tricky at the DMV, but it is NOT legal and if it's looked into close enough, it will be spotted. You used to be able to bring them over with the Military. I once almost bought a Soarer that was brought in like that.

Sure it's legal for you to own one, but NOT legal for you to drive it on the street. There used to be the Rally rule, I think it's still in effect. If you owned one, y ou could own it for one year, then it had to either be sold or go back out of the country.
    The issue is the R32 and R34 are both on the list of vehicles that CAN NOT be imported or made compliant. That means illegal to own or drive. The Porsche 959 was on that list for practically 20 years. Bill Gates' 959 was seized and sat in a US Customs warehouse for over 10 years before it was removed from that list. I believe Jerry Seinfeld had a hand in making it legal as well.

The Soarer could be legal, depending on the model, because a similiar model was available here. The last time I checked on bringing it or the Altezza over you needed to have a letter from the manufacturer stating it was exactly the same as the model here safetly wise and/or you would need to write an essay stating why you need this car here vs. it's US counterpart...then the governing bodies say yay or nay. There was no like model of the Skyline.

The one year temporary loop hole is how the rally cars are brought over. You can not be a US citizen, its brought it under the owners VISA, it's bonded, and CAN NOT be sold under any circumstance. It must leave the country within 12 months. That's what the bond insures.

Sorry they knew what they were doing, well maybe the customers didnt but Daryl did. He lied, cheated and tried to bend the rules. He got caught.

The FBI guys doesnt discriminate. Illegal WEAPONS or FOOD is just as illegal as a Skyline. Doesnt matter than its a fucking car, its ILLEGALLY IMPORTED INTO THE COUNTRY, PERIOD.

THEN THEY ARE DRIVEN ON THE ROAD.

Facts are Kaizo LIED, these are NOT remanufactured UNIBODIES, they are R34 NISSAN cars that he doctored and acted like they were a KIT CAR. Then he sold them, and the customers put engines and transmissions in them then TITLED THEM AN DROVE THEM ON THE STREET.

Is it worth their time, prob not, is it extremely illegal, absolutely.

They are just doing their jobs, the Skyline owners know what a LEGAL and ILLEGAL car is and if they dont, they need to get a clue.
    Enterprise Data Resources- Ecommerce Project Manager
    -www.usedbarcode.net

Furthermore, i dont care what you think you know or what you read somewhere or whatever, but the FEDS will tell you whether its legal or not. Loophole or not, they DO NOT WANT RHD cars here.

If you buy a RHD SHELL and its LEGAL to own, then you better store it in a garage and never even think about driving it.
    Enterprise Data Resources- Ecommerce Project Manager
    -www.usedbarcode.net

Wow I thought this was the legit way, as ppl have been building kit cars for decades. Jeez it seems easier to import coke than it is a skyline
    2006 Evo IX - Bolt ons

Quote Originally Posted by TIGERJC View Post
    Wow I thought this was the legit way, as ppl have been building kit cars for decades. Jeez it seems easier to import coke than it is a skyline
    Other than a Lotus Super 7 name a kit car that is a reproduction of a car that has ever been federally illegal in the US. Once the Super 7 hit 25 years old it was legal to import, until then it was brought in from England in pieces and re-assembled here, typically by pilots that had the means of getting them past, or over, customs. That is basically what Kaizo was doing with the skyline except it's still illegal no matter what.

Also, 9/10 kit cars use the chassis' of a car that is LEGAL in the US. You put Diablo or 355 bodywork on a Fiero you still have a legal Fiero. You put a Cobra or GT40 body on a mustang 5.0 you still have a mustang 5.0. Then you have the companies that build ground up reproductions, but still none of the cars they are reproducing are federally illegal. Other than the R33, the Skyline is.

Quote Originally Posted by Vteckidd View Post
    Then he sold them, and the customers put engines and transmissions in them then TITLED THEM AN DROVE THEM ON THE STREET.
    What got Daryl in trouble is when customers asked for motors he provided them and also reinstalled motors in the cars he sold. That's the issue as well as the motors put back in the cars being RB's which violates the clean air act for the method of importing he was doing.

The Soarer could be legal, depending on the model, because a similiar model was available here. The last time I checked on bringing it or the Altezza over you needed to have a letter from the manufacturer stating it was exactly the same as the model here safetly wise and/or you would need to write an essay stating why you need this car here vs. it's US counterpart...then the governing bodies say yay or nay. There was no like model of the Skyline.
    Quote Originally Posted by NHTSA RULES IMPORT NON-CONF ELIG LIST
    While there is no specific restriction on
    importing a right-hand drive vehicle, these may not be imported under eligibility decisions based on
    the existence of substantially similar U.S.-certified left-hand drive vehicles. Our experience has shown
    that the safety performance of right-hand drive vehicles is not necessarily the same as that of
    apparently similar left-hand drive vehicles offered for sale in this country. However, we will consider
    the vehicles "substantially similar" if the manufacturer advises us that the right-hand drive vehicle
    would perform the same as the U.S.-certified left-hand drive vehicle in dynamic crash tests.
    There was no like model of the Skyline.
    Technically if you read the VCP17/32 Addendum A list you'll notice it notes on just about every FMVSS, "are identical to
    those in similar US models i.e. the 300ZX, and 300ZX turbo."
    Last edited by Type-R; 10-14-2009 at 08:13 AM.

LizBiz eats Carpet! bdydrpdmazda's Avatar

I will own a skyline someday

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/...s/news027.html

Quote Originally Posted by REGISTERED IMPORTER NEWSLETTER No. 27
    In the course of its investigation of Motorex, NHTSA obtained from Nissan information that caused the agency to consider the need to partially rescind its prior decision that 1990 to 1999 Nissan GTS and GTR Skyline model vehicles are eligible for importation. On November 28, 2005, the agency published in the Federal Register a tentative decision to partially rescind import eligibility for certain model and model year Nissan Skyline vehicles. After considering comments received in response to the notice of tentative decision, on March 1, 2006, the agency published in the Federal Register a final decision to rescind import eligibility for the models and model years at issue. As a result of that decision, only R33 model Nissan Skyline vehicles manufactured between January 1996 and June 1998 remain eligible for importation. All other model and model year vehicles admissible under the prior decision are no longer eligible for importation. As a consequence, the agency rescinded vehicle eligibility number VCP-17, which covered vehicles admissible under the prior decision, and issued vehicle eligibility number VCP-32 to cover only those model and model year Nissan GTS and GTR passenger cars that remain eligible for importation. The rescission will only bar the future importation of the model and model year Nissan GTS and GTR passenger cars that are no longer eligible for importation, and will not affect the status of vehicles that have already been lawfully imported under vehicle eligibility number VCP-17.

For reference it's always good to watch the update center http://204.68.195.250/cars/rules/import/ where you will find (dates) by every document listing when it was updated.

http://204.68.195.250/cars/rules/import/elig060109.pdf Will display what is currently eligible to enter as of (May 2009). This list has changed a dozen times since 2006 when Motorex was cut off, though the Skyline information has not it's still good to keep up to date.

http://204.68.195.250/cars/rules/imp...05_29_2009.doc This will show you what RI is petitioning and for what.

Lots of good information but the common issue is when people read what they want to read and only take in how they want it to read to them, not how it is printed in black and white.

LizBiz eats Carpet! bdydrpdmazda's Avatar

so r33s are no big deal to own here in the states?

No, they've been legal to bring in for several years now. But there's more to that then what's mentioned..... there's no OBDII.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast