Results 1 to 40 of 46

Thread: Nitrous Guys...

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Proud to be Retrosexual Jaimecbr900's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    9,189
    Rep Power
    39

    Default

    I wrote a patented long winded thread on nitrous a while back. Maybe someone can find it.


    Anyway, just FYI, I've ran both wet and dry nitrous setups. I ran them all on a car that had 150K miles on the motor before I ever even thought of running N2O thru it. The car was an auto AND FWD. More importantly, the car was a DD as well. This is the short condensed version of my background with N2O.

    First, Baby J, normally I tend to agree with you. This time I don't. A dry setup is fine as long as you have the additional fuel to go with it. I do agree that it is more finicky and is more prone to mistakes, but that's not unlike anything else too. I started out with a simple single fogger 50 shot. That was baby crap and didn't last long before I jumped up to a 75 shot. Well, that got boring too, so I jumped up to a 100 shot. Mind you, all of these were DRY. I used an AFC and FPR to up the fuel pressure for the additional fuel. Motor was all stock. I had a Walbro FP with stock injectors. Let's be honest, I was being as cheap as possible. Hell, I installed the kit myself in my driveway because I didn't want to pay to have it installed. Did a damn good job too BTW. I even drilled and tapped the TB to have the nozzle as close to the intake runners as possible.

    The only issues I had up to the 100 shot was that I blew up my tranny by being an idiot newb nitrous user. Remember, that tranny had over 150K on it too. Nissan auto trannies aren't the beefiest things to begin with. But it took a 100 shot to kill it, and kill it good. I had the tranny built twice more after that because it kept breaking. Finally when I had Level 10 build it, it held for good. Cost me an arm, a leg, and half the other one, but it held. That's when I stepped up to a 125 shot DRY. That was the limit of everything I had. The AFC couldn't keep up, the injectors maxed out, and I was running 3 step colder plugs. It was too close for comfort for me.

    I then upgraded to Direct Port, which of course is WET. I had a 125 shot in it as well and it hit harder than any of the others combined. That's what the car had when I sold it after the car had some crazy electrical issue. NITROUS never killed the engine and it had a ton of miles when I sold it. Matter of fact, since I sold it to a buddy that was going to part it out, I heard that the engine was put into another car and it is still running around somewhere probably.

    Bottomline is that nitrous is perfectly fine as long as you use it properly and tune it properly. Too many people think it's about FnF and just want a big shot because that will make their welds break and their floor boards fall down and make cute little sparks. That's not what nitrous is about. It is addictive. It is expensive if you use it all the time. It is safe ONLY if you don't act like a newb and believe everything that's on TV.

    One final quick story: My dad is an old school muscle car gear head. He used to always have fast cars. All motor fast cars . So when I told him I was going to put nitrous in my DD car, his first words were....."you're gonna blow up the car". He too knew nothing about nitrous except the old tales of blown motors from back in his day. Now you have nitrous controllers, window switches, WOT switches, low pressure safety switches, and hopefully some common sense. I blew up my tranny for acting a fool with nitrous. It was my fault, not the nitrous.

    Hope this helps some of you. Baby J, you still my boy.


    This is what it looked like at the end:

    Last edited by Jaimecbr900; 12-28-2007 at 10:46 AM.

  2. #2
    Slowest Car on IA David88vert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Johns Creek
    Age
    54
    Posts
    8,378
    Rep Power
    38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaimecbr900
    Bottomline is that nitrous is perfectly fine as long as you use it properly and tune it properly. Too many people think it's about FnF and just want a big shot because that will make their welds break and their floor boards fall down and make cute little sparks. That's not what nitrous is about. It is addictive. It is expensive if you use it all the time. It is safe ONLY if you don't act like a newb and believe everything that's on TV.
    Well-stated and true.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
ImportAtlanta is a community of gearheads and car enthusiasts. It does not matter what kind of car or bike you drive, IA is an open community for any gearhead. Whether you're looking for advice on a performance build or posting your wheels for sale, you're welcome here!
Announcement
Welcome back to ImportAtlanta. We are currently undergoing many changes, so please report any issues you encounter with the site using the 'Contact Us' button below. Thank you!