Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Im throwing around a idea need opinions

SOUTHERN SPEED

Default Im throwing around a idea need opinions

Ok im posting this in here to get opinions from people that i talk to on a regular basis before i decide what i want to do and post this any were else.

Ok so since i got a new job at the base im in a unique situation and trying to figure out what i want to do. I love messing with car and always have so closing my shop isnt going to happen not to mention (even though my job at the base will more then pay my bills) i make good money at my shop . So this is the deal i was thinking of giving the guys in my area a oppurtunity that i would have loved to have had when i was younger . Everybody wants to work on there own stuff or paint there own stuff but has no were to do it . Im thinking maybe starting up a car club with use of my shop as part of it . Lets say 100 dollars to get into the club (plus the members already in it would have to vote you in) and 50 dollars a month to stay in . To start off with im not trying to make money off this i have my own money . The money will be put in a seperate account with a portion used to buy stuff for the club and a portion used to pay the over head of the shop. If it actually gets up and going ill buy a dyno for everybody use but this gives everybody a chance to to learn something . have access to a paint booth and lift and ill also let them use my specialty tools . i figure i will put a limit as to how long you have to be in the club before you can use the booth and lift that will stop people from trying to just use me for my shit . Id like to keep the shop open to have some were to make a little side money and work on my own stuff and this will give evrybody else the same oppurtunity . Any side work done 20 % will go into the car club fund to help buy shit for the shop which can be voted on . The first thing i would do is install a 16 camera security system not just to protect my stuff but every club members and any theift or druggs will not be tolerated . I dont care what you smoke or pop on your own time but not at my shop .

Its just a idea to try to get more people involved in being able to fix up there own car and learn how the right way instead of using a spray can . For the people that are going to think im trying to make money off of other people i have plenty of business and i charge 1,500 starting out for a paint job so if i help you paint your car how many 50 dollar months would it take to pay 1,500 dollars. I would also give all my discounts to club members and we would all have somebody to hang with at races .No i am not going to build motors for free for club members but i will show you how or build it at a discount .

Im sure there will be alot of negative reasons why i shouldnt do thid trust me i can think of 500 but its kinda my way of trying to help everybody so try and give me some good ideas on how to make this work . I know evrybody in middle georgia and i can go as far as getting these people good jobs if i can see what kind of person theu are and what there talents are so that i dont mind putting my name out there for them .

252plus hp and 34.5 miles to the gallon all motor. 12.2 at 111

SOUTHERN SPEED

This is not biker boys and nobody is going to front the money for a car club to have a shop with all the shit that i have but since i have it why not try it .

Senior Member | IA Veteran 1civic's Avatar

Guess I'm moving south!!! LOL

Really a great idea, and very useful to those looking to learn.. All thats needed is a shop manager and this plan could work, sign in and out, clean, etc.. Meet and greets, dyno days, hell build a track down there damnit!!!

Senior Member | IA Veteran

sounds like a lot of liability to me

Quote Originally Posted by Tech5 View Post
    sounds like a lot of liability to me
    waivers , and on a side note , thanks Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Scotsman View Post
    Good luck with that one , unless you have a lawyer approve of this I don't see it sticking . Just to many things can go wrong with this set up here. Idea sure ,I have a Idea of letting everyone drive my car for a fee but I am not taking that risk lolol.

i'm sure there are many JAG officers on base he could speak with

also would he have to pay for comp insurance as there will be more then 2 people working there?
    What about tax purpose , since people will be paying to use the shop which is a business paying taxes ?

since the OP brought up charging people to use his shop , does he need to become a sponsor on here or this will get locked ???

since he is offering a service and fee charges.

IA Member

It sounds like a great idea to me, I know that there is probably a lot of legal stuff as people have mentioned, but if you decide to go forward with it I think it would be a great success. I personally appreciate your willingness to want to help people.
    Just Jeanuis

I believe he is a sponsor...
    1990 Mustang Coupe...turbo lq4 through the glide

since the OP brought up charging people to use his shop , does he need to become a sponsor on here or this will get locked ???

since he is offering a service and fee charges.
    He is a sponsor..lol

Quote Originally Posted by J. Jean View Post
    It sounds like a great idea to me, I know that there is probably a lot of legal stuff as people have mentioned, but if you decide to go forward with it I think it would be a great success. I personally appreciate your willingness to want to help people.
    back in the day around year 2000 ish fatal attractions did this and got in a major law suit after a young man cut his arm off while working at a shop which was the car clubs owners shop that he was using for club members only and charging them fees. Some where in the law , if you are paying someone to rent their shop they MUST have XX amount of dollars for insurance and liability issues . Not to mention , the TAX issues .So if done this by the book and legit it would cost way more then it's worth to help people out and charge them 50 bucks a month fee .

Quote Originally Posted by 1civic View Post
    He is a sponsor..lol
    cool , I didn't know ...... Where is this shop again lololol.

SOUTHERN SPEED

My brother is a lawyer i get him to write up waiver that will stick plus if there is enough intrest ill get insurance.
    Last edited by h22 jones; 07-23-2011 at 11:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by h22 jones View Post
    My brother is a lawer i get him to wright up waiver that will stick plus if there is enough intrest ill get insurance.
    I hope you mean your brother is a lawyer and have him write up lololol

My brother is a lawer i get him to wright up waiver that will stick plus if there is enough intrest ill get insurance.
    better check into if you will need comp insurance not just shop insurance this is two different types .

SOUTHERN SPEED

I never said anything about charging to use the shop . You would pay to be part of a car club useing the shop is a perk . Honestly there are a hundred different ways to do it but keeping it a car club and not a business is the simpliest way . If anything i will be working for them . I am looking for anybody to work for me as i know how to do everything myslef lol. There is a liability but who are the going to sue ? The car club i mean realy . They could sue the land owner but im sure they have insurance also. Anybody can sue anybody and thats why there will be cameras so catch everything that happens to stop stupid law suites from happening . I can also regulate what you can and can not do when certain people arnt there untill we feel like you can do it own your own. Trust me after you get a job at the base you learn there are ways to teach even the dumbest people to do anything .

Instead of telling me how it want work give me ideas of how it could work . Its not like i dont have ten buddies using my shop for free now when ever they want . Thios want be much different then that and i dont plan on fifty people that i dont know being part of this just trying to get something going to have a little fun thats all.

SOUTHERN SPEED

My phone sucks im on the computer now lol. Thats why he is the lawyer and im not lol.

SOUTHERN SPEED

Quote Originally Posted by Scotsman View Post
    No problem hope it works out for him just wish i had a little more time to go over the bull crap that the guy that used to work for me did to it lol.

My phone sucks im on the computer now lol. Thats why he is the lawyer and im not lol.
    I am just giving you a hard time. I am also just giving you some heads up , this has came up before and has been up and had plenty of issues . You're not the only one to think of this and after so many people from stealing, using it for themselves for a chop shop , to cutting limbs off etc etc . I don't won't to see people get caught up , so I am just throwing my experience out there for you to think about . But glad you have the heart and trust in people to allow this , I sure don't .

im in!

I think thats a good idea Mike!

SOUTHERN SPEED

let me figure some stuff out and i will see what i can do . I think it will have to be on a low scale to start off with then see how it grows . Ill have to work it like a job and if you are caught doing certain things you will have to go . Like getting under a car with just a jack no jack stands your gone safety first we will see.

SOUTHERN SPEED

If it gets done at my shop it will get done right and i will make sure there is somebody there to help you do it right . If you are a kinda thyrew it together person here is a oppurtunity to do it right . Let me put it this way no motor that me or my dad has ever built has spun a bearing . when you can have that kind of confidence it means alot . It will be more then a car club but kinda of a school . If you think you know everything gtfo because nobody knows everything i learn everyday . I have thousands of dollars worth of tools that i have never used but i plan on being able to use them one day .

See before i had to feed my family and push my shop toward what made the most money now im able to go up there and enjoy myself by doing what i want and id like to share that with everybody else. I am big on respect if you disrespect me you will gone if you dont tot a ass wooping to go along with it . I hate to be that way but if your a push over people take advantage of you . There is only one way to do this and thats control everything someone has to be the bose even in a car club and there has to be guide lines to go by . Ive personaly never been in a car club because i think there gey but this is something different that can be more like a family . i am going to go ahead and buy a few more lifts before i try this that way everybody will have access to a lift . I want my own personal lift and space before i do this because this isnt going to intefere in my work .

Guys i have a big shop and i mean its big but im the only person there using it . I have tried to get one person to split the bills having use of all my shit and half the shop but everybody is to cheap . This way ten people could pay a smalla mount of money so if you didnt have work for a month 50 dollars isnt going to killl you. I have 100,000 dollars worth of tools if you need it i got it from paint and body to mechanicing. i would realy like to buy a dyno and just focus on tuneing ,building motors, and trannys. Hmmm we will see any ideas would be great . I have had people trying to get me to do a car club for years this would be the same thing just actually teaching the guys in the club how to do things the right way not the rice way . When i build a car i do it by myself from the ground up no help and it looks show quailty so i have alot to share with these guys . i want to learn how to tune bad just because thats all i havnt done before.

man this is a great idea! if this does happen it would be nice to be in it.like you said above "you learn something new everyday " it would be nice to get some help from people who have been doing it a little longer.i have been painting for about 3 years now,and i still learn something everyday lol.i know it would be nice to have a booth to spray some cars in.am tired of building and tearing down my (home made paint booth) hahaha.gl man if this works out lmk.
    got vtec?

SOUTHERN SPEED

I heard that man . Ive sprayed about any were you can before i got my booth lol. Ive also had some of the cleanest jobs come out in the driveway its a 50-50 chance lol.

I heard that man . Ive sprayed about any were you can before i got my booth lol. Ive also had some of the cleanest jobs come out in the driveway its a 50-50 chance lol.
    hahaha i know that is the truth!.i have tried to rent out booth but they are always busy. lol..but yea like you said 50-50 chance.but hey sometimes you have to work with what you got.
    got vtec?

IA Member

back in the day around year 2000 ish fatal attractions did this and got in a major law suit after a young man cut his arm off while working at a shop which was the car clubs owners shop that he was using for club members only and charging them fees. Some where in the law , if you are paying someone to rent their shop they MUST have XX amount of dollars for insurance and liability issues . Not to mention , the TAX issues .So if done this by the book and legit it would cost way more then it's worth to help people out and charge them 50 bucks a month fee .
    Wow... Thats crazy! I get what you're saying though
    Just Jeanuis

I have tried to get one person to split the bills having use of all my shit and half the shop but everybody is to cheap.
    If you weren't so far away, I would have already been the other guy to go in on the shop. A dyno and a lift would be all that I would need.
    "Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." - Steve McQueen

SOUTHERN SPEED

man i have it set up not to put my business out there but everything i own is paid for . My booth,lift, all my tools and when i say i got tools i dont mean your regular three bay box full. I got every specialty tool you need . Hell i got 3,000 in paint guns alone . My over head is 1,200 a month thats electric bill and all . I have a perfect place on the other side of my booth for a dyno. Id like to put two hudge widows in the office with a large flat screen in there for people to sit and watch if i get a dyno . I got a couple ideas but im going to wait till i get a few things done first and figure out a few more things before i decide what i want to do.

guess im moving down there, awsome idea

SOUTHERN SPEED

come on the more the merrior.

Josh Knows what he is talking about this, there are so many things that could go wrong and leave you holding the bag! I know the insurance alone would be outragious! I had a garage liablity policy with my shop and i was the only one working there and it was crazy money, plus you said you had 100k in tools all the camras in the world wont stop thieves from takeing your shit you leaving the door unlocked for them,
    Hella stock member!

BTW I am Josh lololol..... Few simple tools will be first to be stolen , a 35$ socket , 100$ wrenches etc etc ....The big stuff will be later when they come after hours and break into the shop and take it all in one big bust when you least expect it . There a few I want say or call them out That I wouldn't trust being around my Rusted Great necks !!!

BTW I see your thinking but I don't see it lasting nor benefiting you at all . Which when you OWN things, and pay rent and allow people to use things and they damage them , steal etc . I see this making you and your dad loosing everything you both have worked for .

YOU asked for positive things to make this work , the best advice I can give and being positive is DON'T DO IT!
    Last edited by Tech5; 07-26-2011 at 10:49 PM.

BTW I am Josh lololol..... Few simple tools will be first to be stolen , a 35$ socket , 100$ wrenches etc etc ....The big stuff will be later when they come after hours and break into the shop and take it all in one big bust when you least expect it . There a few I want say or call them out That I wouldn't trust being around my Rusted Great necks !!!

BTW I see your thinking but I don't see it lasting nor benefiting you at all . Which when you OWN things, and pay rent and allow people to use things and they damage them , steal etc . I see this making you and your dad loosing everything you both have worked for .

YOU asked for positive things to make this work , the best advice I can give and being positive is DON'T DO IT!

The negatives far out weight the positives 10,000 to one! Me and josh have both ran and owned shops for many of years it not a question of if something happens but when, we both know you cant baby sit every one and watch every thing they are doing, like a kid load a car on the lift and does it wrong and kills him self then yout the one holding the bag.
    Hella stock member!

And sadly the OP and his father has to take the rap for it as they own and are responsible for everything that happens. EVEN if he gets a lawyer to make waivers there is still a way around an a loop hole that another better lawyer can gain from to sue them and take it all .

LOOK at WAL-MART they get sued everyday over stupid crap that the lawyers didn't make into their policy but yet WAL-MART has to settle .If you want to protect yourself and your dad please throw this into the toilet and flush it like it needs to be .

SOUTHERN SPEED

I understand what yaw are saying and what im proposing isnt exactly what you think . I dont know it was more of people that i would trust to use my shop now not a bunch of kids off ida that i dont know . I would just give a key to just anybody like i said it would be more like a job . Certain people couldint be there unless supervised shit like that i dont ill think about . My dad is retired and he likes helping me with some performance stuff when he is bored but other then that he has nothing to do with the shop so none of this would fall on his shoulders its my shop.

Ok lets say me , joey (dark star) and lets say five or six of my other close friends wanted to start a car club . These people already use my shop so nothing would realy change now if other younger members decided to join we could teach them stuf without turning them lose in my shop allowing them the oppurtunity to hurt themselves . I could show them how to paint there car the right way ,along with buiding there motor . Only the few certain people that have keys would still have keys somthing like that.

i like it mike,its nice that someone would offer there skills for someone else to learn.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast