Thread: 4x114.3 brake info

Default 4x114.3 brake info

I recently replaced my Front brakes on my 4x114 setup. I know many people in the past never had confirmation on what would work since we all know that we can't just buy replacement rotors for this setup until recently with the fastbrakes kit. This has been talked about on honda-tech and many other forums in the past and still people wanted full confirmation of what would work.

I met up with Brake Expert and got a better insight on what I would need and prepared to document everything to help out fellow 4x114 ( 96 spec ITR setups).

parts used

US 2000 ITR calipers w/ 23T brackets
    92-95 Prelude Vtec rotors 11"
    factory ITR pads
    7/16" x 1/16" hardened washer

I took as detailed pics as I could of removal and installation of these front brakes...

1.First jack the car up and remove the wheels

2.Here is the stock setup. Basically a GSR rotor( 10.3" ) and caliper.

3.Remove the two 12mm bolts that hold on the caliper to the caliper bracket. Place the caliper to the side for now.

4.Remove the two 17mm bolts that hold the caliper bracket to the knuckle.

5. Next take the two set screws out of the rotor, usually WD40,a phillips head screwdriver and hammer work.

6.You will need to cut the factory heat shield depending on which car you 4x114 setup is on. I had to trim mine because of the bigger caliper bracket.

7.Here is a side by side view of the old caliper bracket v. new, and 10" rotor/ 11" rotor.
    new caliper bracket on your left

New rotor v. old

8.Now that everything is off you can start to reassemble. First put the new rotor on with the old or new setscrews to hold it in place. Then put the new 23T caliper bracket on using the Hardened 7/16" washers that are 1/16" thick. Make sure that the hardened washer/ shim goes between the bracket and knuckle. Bolt this bracket down using your old bolts that you took out before. Also grease up the caliper sides. This shim spaces the bracket evenly with the rotor.

9.Put the new Brake pads and caliper on and bolt down the caliper using a 14mm socket. In the meantime you can swap the brake hose that is bolted to the old caliper and attach it to the new caliper using new crush washers or your old ones depending on how old and badly crushed they are. I used my existing ones.

10.Make sure you bleed the brakes properly. I know you can use a 15/16 master cylinder as well as a 1" type R MC, any less I would upgrade.

You are now finished and I know the factory 96 spec ITR 15" wheels will work over this setup but a little bit of caliper bracket and caliper will need to be shaved off. I will take pics of my factory ITR wheels on there to show what needs to be shaved off for these wheels to fit asap. I currently am using my 16" mugen mf8's and have no problems. This upgrade makes it easier to replace rotors when need be and also you go from 10" brakes to 11" brakes and better stopping power.

My clearance on my mugen's

thanks again to Brake Expert, the old H-T, honda- tekh, and Adam for letting me use his garage.

A departing pic

Last edited by NAIZBST; 09-12-2009 at 03:10 PM.

The Philanthropist Dirty Octopus™'s Avatar

You're a life saver! i thought i was gonna have to get my friend to hunt me down some more Project Mu Rotors! whew!

i didnt realize it was easy as putting on washers to make it work.
    so you changed out your 96 calipers for the 2000? what if i wanna keep my 96 calipers?

The Philanthropist Dirty Octopus™'s Avatar

www.jasontbarker.com speedminded's Avatar

More people need to use their heads like this!

That white on white looks so good too!

Good write up. You dont see useful tech threads on IA ever.

woot!

NIKON Squad member 01

I HAVE SUBS AND CAMERAS AND LENSES FO SALE
    OF*C
    OEMFitment Crew Memeber 01

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Octopus™ View Post
    You're a life saver! i thought i was gonna have to get my friend to hunt me down some more Project Mu Rotors! whew!

i didnt realize it was easy as putting on washers to make it work.
    so you changed out your 96 calipers for the 2000? what if i wanna keep my 96 calipers?
    you can use your old calipers as well but have to use non vtec prelude rotors but will also have to shim out the caliper bracket but not sure how far

great/

you know what would look good with these mugens? some 11.8 rotors, and s2k calipers, which are escentially the same as the mugen ones.

I would use the calipers but I'm not sure if they would clear 15s.