Thread: how to maximize bass?

Default how to maximize bass?

i just got my first "system" the other day in my turd gen maxima. i got 2 kicker cvr 10"
    and a jvc 540 sumthin watt amp.

the subs are in 2 separate sealed boxes.. not too big. and i was wondering if there were any tricks as to how you maximize the bass of the subs. what would be a good design for a box?
    sealed or ported? if so how big do you think it should be?
    also i have heard that if you put cotton in the boxes it makes it hit harder. what do you guys think about that?

89 Sexima___VG30E
    Cragar Steel D-Window Wheels____15x7, 0 offset

heres a pic with measurments of my current boxes.

89 Sexima___VG30E

Ported is wayyyyyyyyy louder. Sealed boxes can damage your subs if the boxes are too small. I have never heard of this cotton idea. I had 2 hifonics 12's in my old jeep grand cherokee, and it was plenty loud sealed. However, to maximize bass, port yo boxesssssss

you think the size of the boxes are good? i mean. like.. what could be better?

89 Sexima___VG30E

just depends on how much of your trunk you want to lose....if it were mine i would put them in one box that was ported....

hahah. i like that response. i wanna build a sealed box for two 10s. ported boxes seem like they are hella complicated. but im gonna how to build a ported box.

is it basically.. bigger= better?

89 Sexima___VG30E

im not an expert...but you need a certain amount of air volume in the box for it to work properly...just google it for whatever subs you got...so if you gonna build the box your self you need to figure out the height width length multiply them together and divide that by 1,728 and that will give you the volume in cubic feet. and then you just adjust your dimensions to equal out to whatever the speakers need...hope this helps you

no accord

just get a prefab ported box it will be twice as loud as what you have now, no need to spend extra money on a custom box unless ur planning on ditching those woofers and getting a good amp, but considering this is your first stereo, you will be plenty happy with a ported prefab. and its not cotton its polyester foam. like the stuff they put in pillows. and its purpose is to trick the woofer into thinking its in a bigger box, this is mostly used in small sealed boxes were space is an issue.
    RESIZE PIC PLEASE

Quote Originally Posted by Hatmanafro View Post
    i just got my first "system" the other day in my turd gen maxima. i got 2 kicker cvr 10"
    and a jvc 540 sumthin watt amp.

the subs are in 2 separate sealed boxes.. not too big. and i was wondering if there were any tricks as to how you maximize the bass of the subs. what would be a good design for a box?
    sealed or ported? if so how big do you think it should be?
    also i have heard that if you put cotton in the boxes it makes it hit harder. what do you guys think about that?
    I can't tell you how "big" of a box you need without specs of the subs and what kind of tuning you are aiming for. Like sina said, get yourself a premade box and save some money. A custom box will cost you more than that setup itself.

I GOT IT!

4th order bandpass FTW
    Hybridaccord
    PS3 online screen name: Eiswritsat

TheMyth

look at the specs for your subs. then check if your box is at that spec or not. if it is within spec, no need to bother worrying about the box. if not, then make a box for both to the subs spec. most of the time, you want to use polyfill if the box is alil too small. but it could be the amp tuning as well. check it all. GL

if your willing to spend the money, kicker has a vented box that is great for those subs. Ive got two kicker comp 10's in a big ported box and it pretty loud for how shitty the subs are, so i would only imagine yours would be louder because they are better quality subs.