Thread: noob needs help! headunit wont turn on

Default noob needs help! headunit wont turn on

well my headunit wont turn on at all. i checked the wires with a volt meter and i found out that the 12v constant wire is dead. The 12v ACC wire works tho, which makes me think i just have a bad wire. if thats the case, i will have to run a new wire all the way to the fuse box, correct? is it ok if i just connected both the 12v constant and the 12v acc with the 12v acc wire from the car? i know i wouldnt be able to save radio stations and crap, but would it at least work for playing CDs while the car is on? could this all be caused by a bad fuse(i dont think so because the 12v acc wire does work) ?

Suck my country R@@T SOHC MONSTER's Avatar

im confused...which wire still shows 12v? if its the acc circuit, then your memory wire is dead. first thing to do is check your fuse box. most vehicles have on under the dash and one under the hood. check both. some fuses can cause something else not to work. like the cigarette/power outlet fuse can cause your memory wire not to work. if still no luck tap 12v constant from another source. the fuse box isnt a very good source. try the ignition switch harness or directly to the battery

so i can run a wire straight to the battery positive terminal? without a fuse or anything? is this safe?

emartu

no you shouldn't run any cables striaght from the battery to the radio, especially not without a fuse...

find out where you 12DCV+ constant goes and check from in-line fuses, fuses in fuse box and maybe even under the hood...unless your car has a dead battey then there is something wrong with the wire, just trace it to the problem and fix it accordingly, no need to go around the problem if you can just fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by chuck
    no you shouldn't run any cables striaght from the battery to the radio, especially not without a fuse...

find out where you 12DCV+ constant goes and check from in-line fuses, fuses in fuse box and maybe even under the hood...unless your car has a dead battey then there is something wrong with the wire, just trace it to the problem and fix it accordingly, no need to go around the problem if you can just fix it.
    agree

Suck my country R@@T SOHC MONSTER's Avatar

most radios come with in line fuses or at least a fuse holder with it. i should have been more specific and i apologize for that. i just figured common sense would come into play as far as fusing something goes.....

yes, there is probably more than one fuse for the radio, so check them all (even under the hood). If you need to go to the ignition harness, there "should" be a WHITE wire that is 12V. You can run a wire from the ign harness to the radio . . . Be sure to fuse it with 10 amp fuse