Thread: too much flow? need advice/opinions

Default too much flow? need advice/opinions

hoping i can get some input about my i/h/e setup. i'm in a 00 prelude w/an aem short ram intake, and dc headers right now. i'm in the process of deciding on a catback as well and have been thinking about a new highflow cat in the meanwhile.

my question is this, should i be worried about having too much flow through the system since i don't have FI?

any help is appreciated, thnx in advance.

I think as long as u keep a cat you should have enough back pressure, really it depends on the size of the exhaust pipe and muffler.

well i'm lookin at either 2.5" or 3" exhaust piping and then an apex n1 muffler.

don't get any bigger than 2.5" piping on your setup unless your running a high boost application you should run 3"+ , hi-flow cat will help

This is a question where you will get many different opinions. Although you can get too big of an exhaust that actually hampers the scavenging of exhaust gasses a 2.5" or 3" IMO would be OK. I would probably go with the 2.5" depending on what your future plans include. If they include boost or higher lift cams, some other type of power adder then I would probably go with the 3". You could definately do better in the header department though. I have the DC w/ 2.5" collector and it is one of the main downfalls of my build. As soon as I have some $$$ it will be an RMF b16 header that will far outflow the DC. I read an article where they had an ITR with a straight 3" exhaust, which was basically a long test pipe and it made way more power than the aftermarket 2.5" exhaust they had on. I'm bored and have a keyboard so take what you want out of this but I would say, go to Mainstream Performance and get Charles to build you a custom 2.5" exhaust. You will come out much better and have something that is truely hand made and custom.

Remember guys , he has a 2.2L motor.

IMO, i would go with 2.5in exhaust if you plan to not go inside the motor. If you plan on just having a peppy little bolt on car, then there really isnt any reason to go to a 3in. now if you plan on doing cams and a bigger header like 99SI said, 3in is where you need to be at. but if you dont decide to do that, i cant really justify you doign a 3in exhaust unless you plan on going turbo in the NEAR future.

However, there are major sacrifices when running a 3in exhaust with a N1 muffler, make NO MISTAKE, IT WILL BE LOUD.

I will prob run a 3in exhaust on my 2.0l 12.5:1 LSVTEC. but its a race car.

And the thing about backpressure is horseshit. i made more power THROUGHOUT the power band open header than i ever did with an exhaust on the car. i have also done dynos of cars WITH and exhaust then done it open header, the gains or difference were MARGINAL at best (IE 1whp) between the two.
    Enterprise Data Resources- Ecommerce Project Manager
    -www.usedbarcode.net

Certified Gearhead

one mod that i like to run with any catback is a test pipe. low end has alittle loss, but top end feels much better.
    MainStream Performance-All Motor, Turbo, Tuning, Dynojet in house
    678-567-9384

I would go with 2.5'' If u plan on going turbo, I would wait until after the turbo then go 3''

Senior Member | IA Veteran Speedm0(\)key's Avatar

catless 2.5 " piping.. but i dont know honda ECU's.. would it learn to make changes with better flow?... i mean.. if you had a 350z i would certainly tell you that unless you are going Technosquare, there really is no reason to go catless

the reason i suggested 2.5'' piping catless is because a friend of mine is running that size piping i beleive in his h22 hatch.. no cat.. and i think uberdata. and all basic bolt ons. almost made to the wheel what they are rated at the crank.
    2004 Nissan 350z Trng
    2004 Subaru WRX STi

solamente los putos te llegan en numeros

It will ajust