Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SOHC Rebuild - Tripple Black EJ2

Cool SOHC Rebuild - Tripple Black EJ2

Automatic d15b7 Girlfriend Rebuild. or so i thought. turned out to be a d15b non vtec...
    Going to Sortafit for some body parts. nothing fancy.
    Just a chance to document an auto dx sohc rebuild and look at a lot of stock stuff other than the intake.
    Going to be here daily Driver for her, or until she gets her Prelude.

Closed up both holes with a little tlc from a nice sized hammer and dolly.

Before

And after

Here it looks like someone pinged the tail lamps on purpose, its the same on both sides.

More Ghettofab stuff, ford 6x9s all the wayy around

Also picked up a set of protege 15s from 1991, with decent tires. had a little rash from the curbs and decent tires, for 100$

Default Build update

More Ghetoofab Stuff

Looks to be an oem muffler off of a full size sedan with a z8. ill have to get a sound bite up just to let you guys listen to it. no coffee can or weed eater sound here, though it was welded on to the oem end muffler tube, it was held up by wire and a cut oem bracket... at leat they put new rubber hangers on there.

Air filter was duct taped on.. well with electrical tape.

Engine and bent core support.

The core support was bent in on the passengers side from what looks like an impact from a parking meter.... it will need to be replaced... but i have to pull it out for now to get the left and right sides re aligned. it was nocked in about 4 inches on top next to the head light and about 7 inches in where the far passenger rad support is.

And finally, the wheels. They came off the mazda protege (1991). i assumed they were oem. they arent. they are a Prime 15x7 4x100 and have humongous tires (195/60/15) which make the car sit even higher.

going junkyarding tomorrow. have o pick up some stuff for a delsol and ek build for a guy in Marietta.

Now, the oem lug tool in the honda is fine, plus i have a duralast 3 pump low profile jack i leave in her car. she can use the handle for leverage by slipping it over the oem lug tool. the problem is that the oem tool will not fit in to the recessed hole where the lug is.

so i was between 3 different ebay lug setups, finally settled on the third.

Will also be picking up an antenna and some coilovers. will more than likely keep the car so i will roll the fenders later to compensate for the drop. Needs a windshield. needs a hood, needs a front and rear bumper. will all be collected tomorrow.

im sure you could find a nice running automatic civic for less than what your going to pay to rebuild this thing. trust me i did the same thing around dec for my mom and it cost more to put it back to stock than it did to mod the thing. either way you seem to know what your doing so i wish you the best on your build
    now with LSD
    got an ef? www.eastcoastefcivics.com

i was scrubbing away with wd40 cleaning an old oil leak up, looking for serial numbers and all, and found this.

i dont believe this is original factory equipment. d15b non vtec.

here is the dizzy...

the trans is correct. the body is a 95, and it has an a24a trans.

Here is another shot of the engine bay, as if there weren't enough.

And someone has removed the vin tag for the driver door.

and last, the ghettofab antenna. broken, ignored, and rigged. it was plugged into the radio, but failed to work.

i agree, it is expensive if you can not do the work yourself. i have all the tools. and the capability. i doubt you can find the car in the same condition for 1100. but, she wants something to drive, this is it, simple investment for a later J32a2 Trip Tronic build, this will be a dd for my girlfriend until then. spent 650 on it, add another 100 for the wheels. and 350 for lights, hood and bumper. and its back on the road. just so happens i got lucky and found that it was a d15b under the hood.

And yes, my engine has a serial number, i just *edited* the serial out. the same goes with the transmission

good luck dude. Im keeping an eye on this...

third time i have typed this, you guys get the short shit this time. everything new, headlights, bumper, hood, radiator, plenty of fluids. it looks like the fenders have been rolled already. looks good, works poorly. corners don't line up, but it has been wrecked.

bumper, bumper, bumper.... doesnt fit, expected. thats why i call it sorta fit.

Headlights, not plastic, still glass...

Core support damage report.

Had a little interference with this little area where the recess of the headlight on the passenger side is. beat it down with a hammer. alignment on passenger light is almost perfect. have another inch or so, but it needs to come up and towards the drivers side.

My solution for the roof. prime it, install the 3m 3d vinyl. lots of it on ebay at the moment. give it a neat look for a while.

And just a quick not, both headlights were broken on this one... the drivers side had a busted lens. the passengers had a busted bracket... crap...

Double post.....

Yes, and for all of the junkyard bums. there is a white eg hatch, single cam non vtect. has a good bit of stuff on it INCLUDING a mint manual trans. low mileage, dont know why it was scrapped... row 2 at pull a part @ 285 and 675.

And a complette accord 88 model with an a20 and a manual trans with oem meshes from accords of the time, not ls meshes but very close, good tires. complete car minus dizzy. row 4 at the same pull a part.

Here is the come-a-long that i have used. along side the power pole installed by Ga power...

Here are the alignment pics. from beginning to end. you will see in the final pic that the lights are still recessed from the impact. the hood latch just barely latches being that the core support is recessed too far back. the alignment on the passenger light and blinker is a little low.

And last the hood fully closed

Rehung the exhaust for the moment with the hanger wire. it will get properly welded with the new exhaust. yes i will need a complete new exhaust. it has a length hole on the 90 degree that goes from the center to the passenger side.

Lastly, installed the radiator. and intake, it is still taped. ran a breather hose from the intake to the valve cover, just like oem. im looking to replace a few of the hoses with some of the high density stuff that is more attractive.

Last edited by xero_xero; 05-28-2010 at 09:30 PM. Reason: duplicate pics in post.

MORE ! !! car is coming out nicely !

Well, here's the shopping list. starting the list is the disc conversion. picking up a full LS brake setup off of a dc4. this is a must. the rear wheel bearings are shit for some reason. have a buddy that has everything.

Next is the exhaust. going ebay stainless, remember its for the GF. also going to be running a test pipe.

Then she wants a crap set of altezzas. back to ebay.

last is the CF cooling plate.

nOOOOOOOOOO! ! dont do it on the tail lights

i agree, the taillamps are a bit grousome. it will be okay. its for the GF. she wanted them. i set them beside the oem, a set that look like the si ek, and these. she wanted the altezzes.

Weekend was quite a long one. installed a d15b Vtec in a dx that was for sale on craigslist about 2 weeks ago. kid bought it and had me install it. valves were verry in need of an adjustment. autmoatic too... blah. nothing new as of yet. have the ls setup, just going to install the rears.

Was browsing through a few different sites and found myself on a quest to find an alternative to Password JDM Washers and countersunk screws.

Found it. LINK LINK LINK LINK LINK!!!!!!!!!!!

All of these are fairly closely priced to the Password JDM stuff, but more of a variety.

now the next one is a full kit. made just for the eg, they are also available for the ek. 140.oo US shipped.

Back to the little side project. so it seems that the previous owner decided to JB Weld a hole in the crapomatic transmission so it pours transmission fluid. brakes were verry new all the way around.

Currently looking for oem replacement inner tail lamps. i talked the girlfriend out of the crap ebay altezzes.

got new glass yesterday. came out nice. Charged me 180 installed.

Senior Member | IA Veteran GSRteg®'s Avatar

So far the cars looks good

Slowly But Surely. also had the lugs come in a while ago. just have yet to install them....

Last edited by xero_xero; 07-04-2010 at 05:24 PM. Reason: wrong pic code.

So i was able to put the car on the lift and shot some pics with my phone. The exhaust has some large holes in it like expected. there was a hole in the rear floorboard and the front drivers floorboard was hit soo hard that it busted the undercoating and spot welds.

Also installed some interior led lights. Just to light up the floorboards but only got the front wired up...

Cleaned the car, pulled the center console to find the rear ash tray was broken, and those who previously owned the car continued to use it anyway. among cigarette butts was other "paraphernalia" which was then consumed......................... by the shop vacuum cleaner...

aside from that, the most irritating center console issue is the cup holder (at least in my opinion). i dont know if there is an aftermarket solution or if honda still sells these. the brake down easy ( 4 screws under the console) and the latch (most commonly broken part) can be removed with one screw. a replacement spring can be found just about anywhere. below is the bottom view.

Also scrambled up a set of oem stanleys tail markers instead of the altezzes. they came from craigslist. oem it seems is the way. next im working on the crap o matic transmission. a guy has everything for 150 including trans. and yes, you can see the purple @$$ tint i almost have completely scraped off. yes, most of the time it does ruin your defroster. mine is now gone...

IA Member

very nice build bro, keep up the good work. that exhaust looks just one i had on my old 240, we welded it as best as we could lol. thanks for the link on the hardware and cant wait to more.

not good yet but in the process. , about to start on the new motor, will be here this weekend. along with a manual trans...

Default V6 and matching 6spd

Today, picked up some new goodies.

V6 j30a4 drive by wire motor with harness and 6spd transmission
    k24 harness and intake
    abundant seals
    03-05 pilot cluster
    03-05 pilot ecu
    04 accord ecu
    05 crv fuel pump
    and have pics for all to see. i think you can understand where i am going....

shit i need a new window too

New Parts.
    new antenna, no block off plate and hide away antenna, already have on and they are garbage.
    scraped most of the purple tint off, except at the verry bottom.
    took all of the ford speakers out.
    and got the disc brakes out, only to find that the ebrake cables and brake lines were cut... lovely.

so yesterday, i heard this squeaking, and found it to be the crappy body kit falling, only being held by 2 screws. so i moved it, and placed it in its place....

okay. so i took apart the pilot cluster and i believe that the ecu will work fine with the cluster... no converting from digital to analog or vise versa. just need to pick up the pig tails from a salvage yard in fayetteville. notice that there are no wedge bulbs. all are led/smd on board. that means you can not remove them, high intensity output and clear visibility. and if i were to tint the cluster, that also means i can not just swap out for a bigger brighter bulb. i was looking to get an effect like the vader gauges.

and i am constantly looking for something attractive.

so i found these, non made for the civic but still.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h69qdt9YaQ

Picked up a d17 and auto trans for 300. sold the auto trans for 450. going to play with the motor a bit. will post pics in a while.

if you wire you own system up use plug kits. it saves from cutting. match color to color and do not connect the dimmer. cap it off. if you do not use a plug kit, your wirk should look neat and have proper connections. DO NOT USE RESIDENTIAL TWIST CONNECTORS FOR HOME WIRING. they are not suitable for this application. they will come off because of the vibration. tape the connections in their entirety and cap off all loose connections. poor connections can ruin your radio, amp, or electrical systems. all your local sound shops and even best buy has plug kits for around 20 and are a breeze to install.

here is what mine looked like after i replaced all of the connections and replaced the antenna. if you decide to replace your antenna, tie a string to the plug end. about 4 ft will do. this way you can re pull the antenna through the pillar. if you do not have an antenna and are looking to replace it, you can simply run it inside the trim on the outside of the pillar as i did. if you have block off plates for your antenna, there are other amplified antennas that get just as good reception as factory.

small collection of parts for too many projects.

Removed much of the tint at the base of the glass, also a lot of the glue on the port windows. i removed the 3rd brake light and scraped up until about a quarter of an inch of the glass. you can still see it. no pic yet of the completed process, it got dark quick. have a pic of the scraper i used. it has an issue getting in between the deck and glass.

Picked up a used phoen from a dood off craigslist. he said he would be in a silver civic, not a spanking new si 4 door. he was cool as shit, had the honda thing down.... already owned 3 itr. all of which were stolen from him. also had a set of momo ideas for sale.

todays progress included the integra rears that i finally put on. just mind that if you ever buy a disc swap and you have to source either brake lines or ebrake cables, they are all different from the front. so the tards at orileys autoparts managed to order me a set of brake lines for the front of a 97 integra, not rear. luckily they still fit like a dream. fabbed up some mounts and ill let it ride until a later date. no ebrake cables as of now, they were also cut with the sawzall. i already know within the next 3 weeks ill need rear brakes also. they are THIN.....

A few days ago i tinted the acrylic cover to the pilot cluster i acquired. i need to get the pinouts for the cluster so i can illuminate it and see whether it would be a good idea or not.

if anybody wants the drum setup, it is off of a coupe, so it will fit a 4 door (as far as ebrake cables are concerned), will need wheel bearings on the drivers side. FREE to anyone who wants to collect them within the week. pickup only, ill bring them to work, you can pick them up in mcdonough.

did nothing more than sand a little on the fenders. wet sanding goes a long way. they are dented and bent in a few ways. i crawled up under it with a flash light an d saw a good bit more damage. the fenders are not attaced, and are folded out a good bit. almost like a really bad fender roll.

we roll fenders at the shop now. no bent paint, and clears dropped cars and big rims.

have been fighting with the parts on the d15b. have a y8 currently. tempted to find a good auto trans and leave it.

here is the parts breakdown on a d15b

Civic 3 door, VTi, VTEC, EG4-1315482 Chassis Number used for research

Head Gasket
    12251-P08-004 Yen 5200
    Valve Cover Set
    12030-P07-000 Yen 3400
    Oil Seal ( crank seal )
    91212-P01-003 Yen 320
    Oil Pan Gasket
    11251-P01-004 Yen 2250
    Water Pump ORing
    19222-P08-003 Yen 185
    Oil Seal ( Cam Seal )
    91213-PD2-004 Yen 430

Civic Ferio, NON-VTEC, EG8-1318079 Chassis Number used for research

Head Gasket
    12251-PM5-S02 Yen 5250
    Valve Cover Set
    12030-P01-000 Yen 3230
    Water Pump ORing
    19222-P01-003 Yen 215

finally got the new job operating smoothly as to where i can spend more time in the shop... started painting wheels, have an ebay camber kit to install, got new khumos that are a biit too big but were free..... rolled the front fendrs with plires. ill have more updates this week....

Got a few better Pics. Also, the camber kit is in, and ordered a new ebay intake and COMPLETE exhaust. new brakes on the front. ill pick up a rear bumper tomorrow. was looking at a few different keyless entries.

500$ craigslist find
    Auto 95 ls. has a 99 motor in it. 250 on the body and smashed in the rear quarter. feasible complete loss. ill utilize the complete front clip. minus the bumper and fender. have a second set of ls disc all the way around. ordered an EBay exhaust and In Take, which was obsolete less than 12 hours after it shipped.

the ls runs nice. we shall see.... at least everything is complete. autos dont get cherry picked like the manuals do...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast