Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installed Water Cooling on PC

Default Installed Water Cooling on PC

Installed some new cooling equipment on my desktop. Im overclocking my AMD 64 3500+, and overclocking my PCI-E ATI Card as well as soon as my VGA water cooling block comes in. Please excuse the mess of wires!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -watercooled-jpg  
    Last edited by Nemesis; 04-04-2006 at 06:16 PM.

*cough cough* nerd *cough*

Hey now, the chicks dig it!

lol i know.. we <3 you georgie!! i mean whorgieeeee!!!

That made me horny...
    2005.5 Audi A4 2.0t Quattro
    APR 93/100 Chip

‹^›‹(ò¿ó)›‹^›

it's just somethin' about liquid and electronics, that I dont plan on puttin' em in my tower = P
    Chris
    91' Mustang GT
    512rwhp/468ft-lb

Quote Originally Posted by HyPer50
    it's just somethin' about liquid and electronics, that I dont plan on puttin' em in my tower = P

Its actually a really safe system. I was skiddish about it to, but if you follow the instructions its fool proof.

^ Has way toooo much pr0n v3rd1g0's Avatar

you need sleeves for those PSU wires badly. what system did you use?
    No siggy as of right now

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis
    Its actually a really safe system. I was skiddish about it to, but if you follow the instructions its fool proof.
    did you do the leak test?
    No siggy as of right now

Quote Originally Posted by v3rd1g0
    did you do the leak test?

correcto, and as a precaution I even put some thread sealer around the edges of the threading where the hose fits over. On top of that the fitting squeezes the tubing. So there's double protection.

LNC FTW

When I get the money I am going to build myself a Duel Core Athlon 64. Water cooling makes me nervous but it is still cool as hell. looks like a good clean installation to.

pretty nice liquid cooling system, i wanna get the zalmen one with that huge external resivior
    No siggy as of right now

Quote Originally Posted by ~The_Duke~
    When I get the money I am going to build myself a Duel Core Athlon 64. Water cooling makes me nervous but it is still cool as hell. looks like a good clean installation to.
    Dual cores aren't as good for gaming.

Unless they're the like, top-notch ones.

A San Diego chipset-based AMD64 3700+ will out-game a 3500+ AMD64 Athlon X2 processor.

I want the 3700+ San Diego chip..price is like, half what it was 6 months ago.

That, and 1GB, maybe 2GB of some OCZ Platinum PC4000 RAM.

Throw in a Radeon X1800XT, 256MB GDDR3, PCI-E of course.

Yeah, then I'll be happy.

With the right setup and right cooling, I could overclock that 3700+ to a 4200+

buwahahahahaha!!!!

Of course, we're talking roughly $600 in the future, here.

But now that the FD is gone...

SOOOOOOON!!!!!!

^_^

dual core won't do too much for gaming, doens't it split tasks between aplication. each core works on a single things... so only 1 core will focus on the game...
    No siggy as of right now

LNC FTW

I will be doing alot of programming and what not in the future that will require some processor stuff and I do play COD2 and some of the very hardware insense games. So I am going to go with the duel core. Plus it sounds cool.

My brother built one of these things for one of his not computer people friends. "Money is no object" entered the question.

Duel Core Athlon 64, top notch video card, top notch ram (and alot of it), you get the picture. I dont think anything other than something with SLI could out do this thing.

Quote Originally Posted by ~The_Duke~
    looks like a good clean installation to.

Thanks man, just need to do something about those damn power wires.

dude i hope you dont electricute yourself w/that shit. damn; i know i would lol

Proud to be Retrosexual Jaimecbr900's Avatar

Stupid question, but what does water cooling do for a computer?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaimecbr900
    Stupid question, but what does water cooling do for a computer?

instead of using a fan on your processor. you run water through a block that sits on the processor, just like you would a fan. you can also do it on video cards, north bridge chips. its much more efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by 5thgcelica
    instead of using a fan on your processor. you run water through a block that sits on the processor, just like you would a fan. you can also do it on video cards, north bridge chips. its much more efficient.
    aka keep it cooler....
    No siggy as of right now

aka keep it cooler....

yeah but my drawn out post made it sound cooler. lol!

Maybe I should of worded my question differently then.....I kinda figured what it was for, but does having your PC be "watercooled" make it DO anything different, i.e. process faster, work faster, longevity of the processor or board, etc.

I know heat is the biggest enemy of electronics, so I'm sure it must have some benefits other than merely cooling. Otherwise you'd just put more efficient fans or something, right?

Maybe I should of worded my question differently then.....I kinda figured what it was for, but does having your PC be "watercooled" make it DO anything different, i.e. process faster, work faster, longevity of the processor or board, etc.

I know heat is the biggest enemy of electronics, so I'm sure it must have some benefits other than merely cooling. Otherwise you'd just put more efficient fans or something, right?

I overclocked my AMD 64 3500+ to a 3800+ spec. At first the heat rose high, but now its staying at a consistent 38*C. But running cooler all the time means all those things you said above. I did have 4 fans in my Antec Sonata case, which has spots for it, but it still ran pretty hot when overclocked. But as soon as I get a waterblock for the Video card, ill be able to overlock it as well.

Currently im running quake 4 at a consistent 98FPS.

I can probably answer part of that question. I know when water cooling first came out, it was able to cool everything a lot better than any fan could. Gamers especially would try to eek out faster frame rates by overclocking their video cards and processors. Water cooling was able to allow the processor and video card to be overworked past its limits by keeping it operating at normal temps. Granted, if you are just using a regular PC and not doing anything extreme with it, water cooling is a waste IMO.
    APR 93/100 Chip

Quote Originally Posted by Deaf Pimp
    I can probably answer part of that question. I know when water cooling first came out, it was able to cool everything a lot better than any fan could. Gamers especially would try to eek out faster frame rates by overclocking their video cards and processors. Water cooling was able to allow the processor and video card to be overworked past its limits by keeping it operating at normal temps. Granted, if you are just using a regular PC and not doing anything extreme with it, water cooling is a waste IMO.

Nemesis and DP: I see now. So when you say you are "over clocking" something I assume it means you're pushing it, right? How exactly is it that you can do that? I thought electronic things like chips and processors had a definite limit to their capabilities.

Yall are both wayyyyy above my head on this stuff that's why I ask. I'm just curious on how you guys are doing these things.

So you are overworking the processor/card to do what? Make it give you better resolution, faster processing, etc? I'm just assuming that would be the purpose, right? Is this mostly a gaming thing or does it help in processing data too or maybe the net?

IA KING

Jaime overclocking basically = i'm not getting laid anytime soon so atleast i can pull a few more 100mhz to show my Ecock to my fellow noob while playing: quake, cs, wow, etc... basically RICE for your pc.

It is the biggest waste of money to do basiclly nothing. I remember overclocking my K6 and MMX chips, but as soon as you get over 3000mhz range what is the point? Why don't you just build a network of machines so you don't have to use vaulable processing for other programs then what the machine is set for?

anywho your rig your $$$ enjoy it.

Nemesis and DP: I see now. So when you say you are "over clocking" something I assume it means you're pushing it, right? How exactly is it that you can do that? I thought electronic things like chips and processors had a definite limit to their capabilities.

Yall are both wayyyyy above my head on this stuff that's why I ask. I'm just curious on how you guys are doing these things.

So you are overworking the processor/card to do what? Make it give you better resolution, faster processing, etc? I'm just assuming that would be the purpose, right? Is this mostly a gaming thing or does it help in processing data too or maybe the net?

yeah its basically uping the mhz on your processor or video card. you gotta up the voltage and crap..i dunno. never messed with it.

easyiest way to over clock is to just raise the FSB on unlocked processors(AMD usually). Over clocking is NOT what you would call rice. relating it to cars. using water cooling and over clocking is like installing a turbo and upping the psi. basically more bang for you buck. just with fan cooling i oc'd like .5ghz. that's a pretty good jump.

when you are overclocking you up the voltage when it becomes unstalbe, but upping the voltage causes heat to raise. this is where the liquid cooling comes in. keeping the temp down. i've seen videos of where processors get fried. crazy stuff if you don't know what you are doing. serious research is needed before you overclock.
    No siggy as of right now

Ok, but does it make the computer work or do anything any faster? Does it make it DO anything faster or better? I assume it will have inherent advantages in the long run, but what are some of the short term advantages?

Again, not asking this to be a dick or anything. I'm genuinely curious.

IA KING

Ok, but does it make the computer work or do anything any faster? Does it make it DO anything faster or better? I assume it will have inherent advantages in the long run, but what are some of the short term advantages?

liquid cooling is just as it would be on a turbo/supercharger... longer life, more power, better response

so jealous. george hook me up on a setup like that if i buy the parts. pentium 4 processor. i forget the plug connection numbers for it.

no one mentioned that water cooling is often DEAD SILENT... my friend removed his case fan... his PC is sooo silent you cant hear anything except the hard disk and the CD drive on occaision.

Everyday im HUSTLIN'

I likey..
    Profile I.T. Services - Infrastructure Builds, Managed Networks, Hardware Sales and Service, Web-Site Design and Development, Fire and Alarm installations. Licensed and insured.

On a day to day basis, you will not notice any difference by overclocking. The only difference you would see is in game play or really processor intense applications like AutoCAD. If you can keep your equipment running within normal operating temperatures, there is no long term effects. Some people do overclocking with just fans and even though their programs may run fine, the longetivity of this hardware suffers.

In other words, if you are a normal PC user doing Excel, Word, internet surfing, none of this is to your advantage.
    APR 93/100 Chip

Some people do overclocking with just fans and even though their programs may run fine, the longetivity of this hardware suffers.
    If you do it correctly with fans and thermal paste you can be fine. artic silver 5 :-D plus a nice thermal take wind tunnel style fan does wonders
    No siggy as of right now

If you do it correctly with fans and thermal paste you can be fine. artic silver 5 :-D plus a nice thermal take wind tunnel style fan does wonders
    yep i use a jet 4 for my cpu. and have been running my 2.8 northwood at 3.65 for a year and a half. all that it takes is the right fans memory timing and some luck (cause as you know v3rd all cpu's dont overclock the same)

On a day to day basis, you will not notice any difference by overclocking. The only difference you would see is in game play or really processor intense applications like AutoCAD. If you can keep your equipment running within normal operating temperatures, there is no long term effects. Some people do overclocking with just fans and even though their programs may run fine, the longetivity of this hardware suffers.

In other words, if you are a normal PC user doing Excel, Word, internet surfing, none of this is to your advantage.
    a normal user wouldnt know how to do it correctly. also i do have my comp running on th upper end of normal. it is possible without W-C. but what i have found is if you set up the memory timming the computer will last longer

Quote Originally Posted by wantboost
    yep i use a jet 4 for my cpu. and have been running my 2.8 northwood at 3.65 for a year and a half. all that it takes is the right fans memory timing and some luck (cause as you know v3rd all cpu's dont overclock the same)
    yes i know this quite well. lots of different.

holy shit i just saw a video of a guy over clocking a p4 to 5.5 GHZ!!!!!!!!!!! using liquid nitrogen
    No siggy as of right now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast