Thread: Canon or Nikon for DSLR

Default Canon or Nikon for DSLR

I need to buy a DSLR, and haven't messed with any, so which is the better way to go if you have nothing to start with? Any particular models that are good in low-light?
    "Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." - Steve McQueen

I am no photographer, but I bought a DSLR for my wife... Who is an amateur photographer a Nikon and she has had one problem, not with low light but under florescent light with it. Now, this is sans-external flash blah, blah blah all the rig-a-moral. Out of the box it sucks under FL... Can't speak as to how good or bad out Canon in this regard... Just figured I'd start the conversation.

They will both produce similar results in the hands of somebody that doesn't know what they are doing, and somebody that does. To be honest I would just go play with both of them and see which one fits in your hands better and which menu layout you like better and buy that one.

For low light situation I would recommend also buying a 50mm f1.8 prime lens to use.

I'm pretty good at learning electronics, so I'm not worried about the layout. I just want the indoor photos to not be grainy. Point-and-shoots tend to give me grainy photos.

Quote Originally Posted by David88vert View Post
    I'm pretty good at learning electronics, so I'm not worried about the layout. I just want the indoor photos to not be grainy. Point-and-shoots tend to give me grainy photos.
    Then you need a camera that can handle high ISO well. What is your budget?

a Nikon D7000 handles high ISO well, if you cant afford that you can shoot for a used D90 or D5000.. as Chad stated you will also need a large aperture (F/1.8, F/2.8) lens for low light

I may not always choose Nikon but when I do it's Dos Equis. Stay thirsty my friends..

Quote Originally Posted by Chadbee@Forged View Post
    Then you need a camera that can handle high ISO well. What is your budget?
    Not sure. It needs to have the features that I want. Want something with a good image sensor, and able to shoot 1080p for video. I'll just have to find a way to spend what I need. That said, I'm no pro, so I don't need a high end camera. The cheaper, the better, obviously - as long as I can get what I need.

Quote Originally Posted by RBS View Post
    a Nikon D7000 handles high ISO well, if you cant afford that you can shoot for a used D90 or D5000.. as Chad stated you will also need a large aperture (F/1.8, F/2.8) lens for low light
    I figure that the lense is what is important, so I plan to buy a good quality lense (would plike to invest in probably 3 total only though).

Quote Originally Posted by -EnVus- View Post
    I may not always choose Nikon but when I do it's Dos Equis. Stay thirsty my friends..
    I need a drink... pass the 40...

Like RBS said, D7000 is an awesome choice then. 1080, great high ISO. Honestly for what you need that seams like the best choice, it isn't really all that cheap but it is a kickass camera, I have one(and a d700 lol) and love it.

Went with a Nikon D5100. Spending a little on a SB-400 flash, some Hoya filters, and a couple of good lenses. Already have some accessory gear like fluid heads, tripods, sliders, etc.