Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Definition of "Photo Shoot"

Hybrid View

www.jasontbarker.com speedminded's Avatar

Default Definition of "Photo Shoot"

The term "photo shoot" only applies to commercial photography. Generally models displaying clothes in the fashion industry or products being shot for print advertisement in newspapers, magazines, signage, etc.

Scenario One
    Joe Blow in a parking lot with a car and his new DSLR machine gunning shots is not a photo shoot.

Scenario Two
    Joe Blow Sr. who met with a director of marketing or an editor, etc. and was given an assignment or shooting list is. There is normally an agenda and requirements involved and generally everything is story-boarded out before even getting to the location, be it a studio or in the field. [We won't get into the legality issues and permissions involved of shooting commercially on both private and public property.]

After the photography session the photos are then sent back to said companies marketing department where they are forwarded to their illustrator(s) or graphic designer(s) to be edited then the final product will go back to the editors for review before being released to the publisher for print.

That is a photo shoot
    Last edited by speedminded; 11-19-2008 at 07:59 AM.

Proud to be Retrosexual Jaimecbr900's Avatar

Tell us what you REALLY think there Jason.....

BTW......Santa came early for me this year......

Quote Originally Posted by Jaimecbr900

Tell us what you REALLY think there Jason.....

BTW......Santa came early for me this year......
    Do I even want to know?! Is it going to make me ?

Quote Originally Posted by speedminded
    Do I even want to know?! Is it going to make me ?

*hint*......ds......*end/hint*

Diamondshwartz? haha

Im blunt,Get over it blacknightteg's Avatar

no offense. but why the hell does it matter. i know its basically what you do for a living, but if they want to call it a photoshoot, let em. i know its stupid, but hell. lol.
    Canon Nutswinger:
    Canon XS
    18-55mm
    55-250mm
    50mm USM

Quote Originally Posted by blacknightteg
    no offense. but why the hell does it matter. i know its basically what you do for a living, but if they want to call it a photoshoot, let em. i know its stupid, but hell. lol.
    If you don't put your foot down then where does it stop? Misused terms are diluting the industry just as much as sub $800 DSLR's owners doing work for free. It also gives an amateur photographer something to work for, one day actually be able to do a photo shoot and not just getting a camera for their birthday and going out and calling everything they do a photo shoot. Set the bar high and work towards it.

If you don't put your foot down then where does it stop? Misused terms are diluting the industry just as much as sub $800 DSLR's owners doing work for free. It also gives an amateur photographer something to work for, one day actually be able to do a photo shoot and not just getting a camera for their birthday and going out and calling everything they do a photo shoot. Set the bar high and work towards it.

i can understand that, but i mean you gotta see it from other peoples perspective.
    Canon Nutswinger:
    Canon XS
    18-55mm
    55-250mm
    50mm USM

It matters to more people than you think. Trust me.

Look at it this way:

YOU own a car dealership. YOU are very straight up and good with your customers. YOU work hard and spend lots of money to maintain that reputation. Your neighbor throws up a rickety sign and buys a bunch of rust buckets and calls himself a car dealer. He tries to steal the nails off the cross with everybody that walks in. HE gives your hard effort a bad name. Now.....do you think you'd like that?

Look at it this way:

YOU own a car dealership. YOU are very straight up and good with your customers. YOU work hard and spend lots of money to maintain that reputation. Your neighbor throws up a rickety sign and buys a bunch of rust buckets and calls himself a car dealer. He tries to steal the nails off the cross with everybody that walks in. HE gives your hard effort a bad name. Now.....do you think you'd like that?

i wouldnt hate it cuz honestly i probably would have started exactly where he was back in the day. i look at things in different way then a lot of people. everyone has to start somewhere, and if they use a word, who cares. its not that big of a deal to me honestly, a photoshoot is a photoshoot. one just involves more of a professional appeal then the other.
    Canon Nutswinger:
    Canon XS
    18-55mm
    55-250mm
    50mm USM

i wouldnt hate it cuz honestly i probably would have started exactly where he was back in the day. i look at things in different way then a lot of people. everyone has to start somewhere, and if they use a word, who cares. its not that big of a deal to me honestly, a photoshoot is a photoshoot. one just involves more of a professional appeal then the other.
    You would if you ACTUALLY did it. Its easy to say that you wouldn't care when you have nothing invested, hence nothing to lose. Much like people that are sooooo against guns.....UNTIL THEY get robbed......tune changes when reality hits.

A watered down drink is NEVER going to taste as good as one that is done right. Both called "drinks", but which one is a true drink???

You would if you ACTUALLY did it. Its easy to say that you wouldn't care when you have nothing invested, hence nothing to lose. Much like people that are sooooo against guns.....UNTIL THEY get robbed......tune changes when reality hits.

A watered down drink is NEVER going to taste as good as one that is done right. Both called "drinks", but which one is a true drink???

but thats competition. everyone deals with that. shit thats the nature of the beast. if your going to bitch about someone comming next door to you giving you competition, you shouldnt have gotten into the business to begin with.
    Canon Nutswinger:
    Canon XS
    18-55mm
    55-250mm
    50mm USM

Look at it this way:

Don't forget the guy next door then forces you to lower your prices. Competition is one thing but doing so while not withholding a quality standard is another. Mediocre work that "will do" verses quality for just a little more. With the way the economy and with cuts in advertising budgets which one do you think will win?

A.K.A. GA Teg

Nice! MK2 or MK3?

Don't forget the guy next door then forces you to lower your prices. Competition is one thing but doing so while not withholding a quality standard is another. Mediocre work that "will do" verses quality for just a little more. With the way the economy and with cuts in advertising budgets which one do you think will win?
    Hit the nail on the head.
    "A good photograph is knowing where to stand."
    www.ATLphoto.net Myspace

Quote Originally Posted by A.P. Photography
    Nice! MK2 or MK3?
    Couldn't swing the MK3, wish I could've afforded that one since it's the one I really wanted, but I got the MK2. I'm still trying to figure it out. It's crazy complicated at first, but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it soon enough. I'm also thinking about picking up the 24-105 L, although I like the 17-40 L too.

Look at it this way:

Just to play devil's advocate here for a second...say I am Joe Shmoe with my rusty cars down the street from your nice dealership. What about the people out there who don't really care about having a nice, pristine vehicle? What about the person that goes to your dealership, sees what you have for sale for $XXX and then sees what I have for 25% of that, and maybe thinks to themselves that, to the average person, it is perfectly fine and acceptable to have said rust bucket? It's called competition and it's something you need to accept. Whether you set out with a budget and story boards and model and full-frame camera's or I set out with my Xsi and 17-40L, it doesn't really matter...in the end, my pictures could be better than yours, and I could have done it for free, but yet you have the nerve to tell my I can't call what I just did a photoshoot? GTFO.
    "Cool car" less.

Anti-Nutswingers Crew - Member # 001

Quote Originally Posted by GAtegs
    Just to play devil's advocate here for a second...say I am Joe Shmoe with my rusty cars down the street from your nice dealership. What about the people out there who don't really care about having a nice, pristine vehicle? What about the person that goes to your dealership, sees what you have for sale for $XXX and then sees what I have for 25% of that, and maybe thinks to themselves that, to the average person, it is perfectly fine and acceptable to have said rust bucket? It's called competition and it's something you need to accept.
    1. Call it what it is then. Call yourself "lot full of rust buckets" and then it will be competition because you are competing on a level playing field w/o false advertising. If you have a lot full of Katrina flood cars that LOOK like cars on my lot, yet you paid pennies on the dollar BECAUSE they were UNDER WATER.....then you are not comparing apples to apples.

2. Another analogy:

Are you going to take your race car to a Jiffy Lube to get worked on? Why not? They have the same brand of tools, they have the uniforms, they have the time......why not then? Maybe because they don't have the KNOWLEDGE? Well, if some sucker is willing to buy a Katrina car just because you're selling it for less than I am selling a non-flooded car......is he a sucker for not doing his homework or are you a snake for not telling him? Either way he gets the shaft, right? Does that make you a better DEALER than me??? Not in my book. Same applies to Photography.

Much like APC, fart can exhausts, and huge park bench spoilers gave our hobby a bad name. Every Tom, Dick, and Harry who happens to pick up a camera and calls every shot he/she takes a "photoshoot" waters down our hobby.

Go look on CL right now. There are a ton of ads looking for photographers for FREE....... Why? Because there are tons of people doing it, so why not? They want studio time, lights, professional results.....FOR FREE. Ok, so photographers have to spend thousands of dollars, their own time, their own efforts, and you want to give them WHAT in return???? Nothing? Whatever.

Let's all just walk into Walmart and take stuff we want for free. See how that works. Wait, let's go to the Dr's office and let them do what they do and then just flick them off when they ask for payment. Better yet, let's all go to where YOU work and get YOU to do what YOU do only to turn around and tell you when you want to get paid. How would you feel if some bum off the street came in and YOU lost YOUR job because he was willing to do YOUR job for cheaper than YOU????? Is he going to do as good a job as YOU????? Doesn't matter because it's all about "competition", right?????

itakepictures

Just to play devil's advocate here for a second...say I am Joe Shmoe with my rusty cars down the street from your nice dealership. What about the people out there who don't really care about having a nice, pristine vehicle? What about the person that goes to your dealership, sees what you have for sale for $XXX and then sees what I have for 25% of that, and maybe thinks to themselves that, to the average person, it is perfectly fine and acceptable to have said rust bucket? It's called competition and it's something you need to accept. Whether you set out with a budget and story boards and model and full-frame camera's or I set out with my Xsi and 17-40L, it doesn't really matter...in the end, my pictures could be better than yours, and I could have done it for free, but yet you have the nerve to tell my I can't call what I just did a photoshoot? GTFO.
    The problem is though, and I cant really speak for myself, is that some people are doing this full time for living. Its what they do to put food on their tables, and pay their bills each month.

Joe shmoe down the street, most likely has a day job, and is just doing the whole photo thing as a hobby and doesnt really care to make money in the process, the money thing is more of an added bonus for what he is doing, therefore he charges a lower rate.

Is he wrong in doing what he's doing? Most likely not, but a lot of people do not know what its worth. He'll I havent had anyone come up to me lately and ask for pics because everyone here these days is toting around a DSLR. I'm glad I don't do this full time
    dont take anything i say srsly. its the interwebs.

A.K.A. GA Teg

So you went from playing Devils Advocate to getting butt hurt.

Can someone with an XSi and an L lens shoot better than someone with a 1Ds and an L lens, yes. I have seen it first hand. I have also seen the influx of soccer moms and wanna be photogs kill the lively hood for professional photogs. I don't make a living from shooting but it is a side business and it does make it harder to make money thanks to "weasels."

Do you shoot models or portrait (not family gatherings or immediate family)? If so then you have done a photo shoot. If not then yes, I have the nerve to say what you have shot is not a photo shoot.
    www.ATLphoto.net Myspace

check my photoshoot of my maxima

but for really jamie and speedminded...chk muh shiznit..

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfix_15 View Post
    You travel with so much luggage that it wont fit in a wagon? you dating a kardashian?

Quote Originally Posted by Sammich
    check my photoshoot of my maxima

but for really jamie and speedminded...chk muh shiznit..
    I don't do critiques......but just be mindful of your background......

I don't do critiques......but just be mindful of your background......
    I'm pretty much the same way, unless i'm asked specific questions I generally won't critique. It depends on how the photographer presents themselves and their work too.

Tell em jason

lol no no critiqing(sp?) just check what i did to it

PS my background involves a trash can and a portapotty bwahahahahahahaha

You travel with so much luggage that it wont fit in a wagon? you dating a kardashian?

I think phootshoot is simple taking photos.

A Professional photoshoot would require hiring a pro to do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammich
    lol no no critiqing(sp?) just check what i did to it

PS my background involves a trash can and a portapotty bwahahahahahahaha
    Hence my post......

Glad you dropped the max too.

but a photoshoot is when you are shooting photos....

*runs*

seriously, i see what the hype is about in calling every pic that u do a photoshoot and the aggravation about it is. i really dont see why people call all pics a photoshoot, its stupid. i mean, its like u say, just cuz u have a $800 camera doesnt make u a photographer. i just want to learn to take good pics myself, and i have a nice cheap camera that does the job and will get me what i want for now. i cant see spending that much for a camera anyway

ok question, when i "took pictures" for the GA G35/350Z club we went to 3 different locations, i charged per car, and locations/price/time/date were all set 2 weeks in advance. people were told you will get "this" for "that" amount of money.

i called that a photoshoot, just out of curiosity do you agree with me on that one?

A.K.A. GA Teg

Quote Originally Posted by CH@Dbee
    ok question, when i "took pictures" for the GA G35/350Z club we went to 3 different locations, i charged per car, and locations/price/time/date were all set 2 weeks in advance. people were told you will get "this" for "that" amount of money.

i called that a photoshoot, just out of curiosity do you agree with me on that one?
    In this case I would agree to an extent. You set up parameters, executed shots for a client, and were paid. This in its rawest form is a photoshoot. This topic mainly covers those with cameras that take photos and call them photoshoots when they are just snap shots. Pulling into a parking lot or field and snapping photos is not a photoshoot.
    www.ATLphoto.net Myspace

Senior Member | IA Veteran quickdodgeŽ's Avatar

In this case I would agree to an extent. You set up parameters, executed shots for a client, and were paid. This in its rawest form is a photoshoot. This topic mainly covers those with cameras that take photos and call them photoshoots when they are just snap shots. Pulling into a parking lot or field and snapping photos is not a photoshoot.
    You hit the nail on the head where this topic is concerned.

Thanks, Jason for making this thread. Later, QD.
    FOR MORE INFO, CLICK THE PIC!!!

Yes and no.

It's a grey area. Is it technically a professional job, yes...yes because you got paid. If it's for people to have photos of their own car for personal use then technically it wouldn't be. If the photos are being used to market and advertise the club and get people to join then it could be considered a photo shoot.

Shooting a group of cars in a shop to put on the shops website, brochure, or business cards is a photo shoot. It's a commercial session being done to market a business or advertise a product. It is for commercial advertising purposes.

But if that is the case then a real estate agent taking photos of a house with his/her cellphone to put in the paper or real estate guide is a photo shoot as well, lol.

...or even me taking photos for car dealerships to put on their website, autotrader, craigslist, etc. I got paid to market the sale of an item for a business yet I would still never call it photo shoot.

thanks guys on the opinions. i just wanted to know what others thought about the subject. now what about this....

http://www.ob-photo.com/2008/09/auto...klee/#more-415

say that 350Z^ is his best friends car. on a boring sunday afternoon they decide to go take some pictures of the Z, its not planned, payed for and not used to promote the 350Z. its just cause dude wanted nice pictures of his 350Z, if that a photo shoot?

A.K.A. GA Teg

thanks guys on the opinions. i just wanted to know what others thought about the subject. now what about this....

say that 350Z^ is his best friends car. on a boring sunday afternoon they decide to go take some pictures of the Z, its not planned, payed for and not used to promote the 350Z. its just cause dude wanted nice pictures of his 350Z, if that a photo shoot?
    In that scenario then no.
    www.ATLphoto.net Myspace

In that scenario then no.
    ok but if the scenario was it was payed, planned and he was using the photos to promote the car as in he was selling it or the photos were used in advertising for a stoptech brakes ad in a magazine the answer would be yes.

or if it was payed, planned but still for nothing but personal use it would still not be a photo shoot.

basically no matter the skill or the quality of the photos if they are not used to promote something its not a photo shoot.

ive never really thought about it myself, i always called something a photo shoot if i was getting payed for what i was doing no matter what the intended use of the photos were.

If Nismo originally requested the photos be done and payed for them to advertise their products then yes. If a car magazine payed the photographer to take the photos then yes.

Now if Modified Magazine saw the photos on the photographers website and wanted to purchase them for their magazine would that make it a photo shoot?? Technically yes but any reputable magazine wouldn't do that because they normally only want original work that hasn't been seen by the public yet.

If Nismo originally requested the photos be done and payed for them to advertise their products then yes. If a car magazine payed the photographer to take the photos then yes.

Now if Modified Magazine saw the photos on the photographers website and wanted to purchase them for their magazine would that make it a photo shoot?? Technically yes but any reputable magazine wouldn't do that because they normally only want original work that hasn't been seen by the public yet.
    ok what about this LOL the photographer has the pictures of the Z on his website to promote his photography business....

i know im getting a little here but humor me please. while the car itself isnt promoting anything, the photos of the car are being used to promote the photographers work correct? theres just such a fine line here

another example, this....

is not being used by the parents to try to get their little girl a modeling job, but i use it for my crappy little portfolio to promote myself as a "photographer" to people that want quality pictures of their children. when i took pictures of her i knew i was going to use those pictures in my portfolio, still not a photoshoot?

A.K.A. GA Teg

ok what about this LOL the photographer has the pictures of the Z on his website to promote his photography business....

i know im getting a little here but humor me please. while the car itself isnt promoting anything, the photos of the car are being used to promote the photographers work correct? theres just such a fine line here

another example, this....

is not being used by the parents to try to get their little girl a modeling job, but i use it for my crappy little portfolio to promote myself as a "photographer" to people that want quality pictures of their children. when i took pictures of her i knew i was going to use those pictures in my portfolio, still not a photoshoot?
    Ok here is the basis for how I see it. I rarely ever consider car photography a photoshoot unless you are getting paid by a client (i.e. magazine or shop). As for people photography, if you are doing a shoot to obtain images of a model (paid or TF*) for promotion (print/web/port) or are hired by a client to do the shots, then I consider that a photoshoot. Pulling out a camera and taking pics of your boyfriend/girlfriend on your porch is not a photoshoot. Parking a car in a field or parking lot and snapping some pics is not a photoshoot.
    www.ATLphoto.net Myspace

As for the modeling and fashion industry it's basically the same way. A model gets photos taken for either advertising the clothes they have on or marketing themselves.

Is a women getting glamour shots done for her spouse a photo shoot? Not really.

Is a women having her photo taken to put on a comp card or portfolio to present to an agency? Yes. She is marketing herself.

My idea is if a model release is involved them technically it is a photo shoot. Matt probably has a lot more to add to this then I do!

Dear Jason,

Can you do a write up on what makes a person a tuner? I am confused because I have a certificate that says I am a tuner, but I have never tuned a car. Does that make me a tuner?

Signed,
    Anonymous GA Tuner
    Val for president!

Facebook.com/TracyATL

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy
    Dear Jason,

Can you do a write up on what makes a person a tuner? I am confused because I have a certificate that says I am a tuner, but I have never tuned a car. Does that make me a tuner?

Signed,
    Anonymous GA Tuner
    LOLOL! I was going to make an analogy using the word tuner earlier but knew it would open a whole new can of worms. If anything mentions "tuner scene" or "tuner cars" I don't even bother looking at it 99.9% of the time. Theoretically if the term was used correctly then those phrases would interest me the most, just like photo shoot would, yet they're always misrepresenting the subject.

And yeah, you're more of a Tuner than any chick I know! :boobies:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast