Thread: Pulled Over?

Default Pulled Over?

Yesterday Around 2pm, I was pulled over by a cop at Sandy Springs.. I asked what the reason was? He answered " Anything tinted the license plate tag is illegal in the state of Georgia"
    before purchasing this, i asked and researched and found that If its readable, its good to go.

NOTE: I was also pulled over at 11pm after work around my area, and the cop read my tag perfectly fine at that period of time when it was really dark and did not even mention my plate cover..

Now my question is, should I take this off or leave it? It's been there for ever and this Sandy Spring Cop just decided to stop me for this
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -ga-car-show-162-2-jpg  

O.C.G.A. 40-2-41 - Display of license plates

Unless otherwise permitted under this chapter, every vehicle required to be registered under this chapter, which is in use upon the highways, shall at all times display the license plate issued to the owner for such vehicle, and the plate shall be fastened to the rear of the vehicle in a position so as not to swing and shall be at all times plainly visible. No person shall display on the rear of a motor vehicle any temporary or permanent plate or tag not issued by the State of Georgia which is intended to resemble a license plate which is issued by the State of Georgia. The commissioner is authorized to adopt rules and regulations so as to permit the display of a license plate on the front of certain vehicles. It shall be the duty of the operator of any vehicle to keep the license plate legible at all times. No license plate shall be covered with any material unless the material is colorless and transparent. No apparatus that obstructs or hinders the clear display and legibility of a license plate shall be attached to the rear of any motor vehicle required to be registered in the state. Any person who violates any provision of this Code section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.
    "Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." - Steve McQueen

My plate is Transparent..

Certified Gearhead

Looks like a tinted cover to me. My mom got pulled over up here in Chattanooga for having a tinted cover on it. They told her it was illegal to have that so she removed it.

Quote Originally Posted by ramazanpz View Post
    My plate is Transparent..
    It is not colorless (clear). It is in violation of the statute.
    Last edited by David88vert; 04-06-2013 at 04:25 PM.
    "Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." - Steve McQueen

Any form of restricted view as in this case tint is illegal on a tag.

Senior Member | IA Veteran Elbow's Avatar

Yeah the law clearly says that is illegal.

Generally, little things like that are just a good excuse for LEOs to pull you over and see what you're up to. I'd say in such cases that the officer is wanting to find other things for such a stop. I mean, how often do you hear about crazy busts/findings when an officer pulls someone over for doing 10mph over and finds 4 tons of drugs hidden in the car? I'd say it's a 50/50 chance of it being a problem, unless you're in the same area a lot and run the chance of being on this guys radar regularly. If not, do what you want. It's not a moving violation so it won't hurt you in any way and the fine should be minimal. Just know that if you leave it on, you run the risk of getting pulled over for it at any time. I have a decorative frame around my plate and it obscures the expiration sticker, I know damn well that if a cop wanted a reason to pull me over, that it could be easily used....but then again, my license plate in general gets way too much attention on its own lol.

I'd rather see cops harass people for tinted taillights and other more important issues/violations out there though...
    02' Miata

DYLAN DYLAN DYLAN DYLAN!1 Black R's Avatar

Mine is clear and I still get pulled on occasion. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Tasuki_Civic
    i woke up to the feeling of someone cutting my clothes from my pants to my bra. all in one cut

Does it have a solid boarder around it that obscures any part of the plate?

I couldn't imagine that something like this would be grounds to pull someone over. I'd probably have a lovely Q&A session if I had something like this and was pulled over...

02' Miata

DYLAN DYLAN DYLAN DYLAN!1 Black R's Avatar

Nope. No borders or anything.

I've been pulled over twice for my completely clear license plate cover.

Once I even got ticketed bc it was deemed "dirty" and thus attempting to obscure. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Tasuki_Civic
    i woke up to the feeling of someone cutting my clothes from my pants to my bra. all in one cut

Yes! as soon as he stopped me he asked if I have any drugs or weapons in my car! I was like no.. then handed my My license and he was just like why is ur hand shaking and just was mean for no reason

Quote Originally Posted by ramazanpz View Post
    Yes! as soon as he stopped me he asked if I have any drugs or weapons in my car! I was like no.. then handed my My license and he was just like why is ur hand shaking and just was mean for no reason
    Don't ever answer any questions like "why is your hands shaking". Stupid ass questions they ask you to try and trip you up. Just say "am I free to go" and move along.

NIKON Squad member 01

I HAVE SUBS AND CAMERAS AND LENSES FO SALE
    OF*C
    OEMFitment Crew Memeber 01

I have a valid reason if I were to be asked that lol. I was for a DUI checkpoint not too long ago and when I told him some information, the officer was kinda left stumped as to what to do with me. I ended up with the most basic of field tests and was on my way in no time. If I have a absolutely solid answer to such questions, I will answer them...because if called out and I have enough to back my side up, it won't end well for the officer.
    02' Miata

Luckily, he didn't give me a ticket because I told him I will take it off immediately. and the other time I got pulled over was for avoiding pot holes. The cop stopped me and asked if I was under any influences I told him I was just going around the big holes he checked my license and let me go again :P

^^ I'm surprised I have not been pulled over for doing that....yet lol.
    02' Miata

Years ago I had the same type of "tinted" lic plate cover..

Got pulled over for that several times....was a pain..finally got tired and took it off..

officers like to run plates...if they cannot see yours...it makes it tough for them to do that....I have found that its not worth it..

Take it off

Yep. Just take it off or leave it on and make another thread about it in a few months.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Echonova View Post
    Bitches love bacon.