Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NOPI NATIONALS is returning Atlanta! --- Need your input!

Exclamation NOPI NATIONALS is returning Atlanta! --- Need your input!

What's up all,

So the guys at Nopi Nationals wanted to come onto the boards and promote Nopi. A few people are still bitter about stuff back then, but everyone I know had a blast when we went. I told them about some of the issues people complained about such as the old class system and racing heirarchy and they are very responsive to recommendations.

They are willing to take IA's input into consideration on the event itself. Back in the day, everyone used to look forward to these all year. Many of us were youngsters then, but it was so insanely fun to go to and the vibe from having all of the different random groups of people unified was just sick. The rivalry/prizes/drama was also pretty epic.

We aren't going to have events like this by complaining and beating dead horses. What should Nopi do differently as I am talking to them directly to help set something up fun. Of course we're giving out a bunch of tickets, but we'll set that up later.

If you have a good idea that they use, you get tickets. Up for discussion/input are many aspects of the meet including the racing structure/classes/prizes, please post any ideas that you come up with and we can try to make it a reality from IA.

You want to scene back? Stop complaining and do something. Let's not go into the politics and drama, instead lets stay ON-TOPIC and be constructive so we can have more awesome meets again.

One thing that I noticed is the racing system can be tweaked. Also they are considering running a Quick 32, but I want to ask, What do YOU want to run?

They will be in this thread as much as possible and will chime in when needed.

What did you like about the previous Nopi events and what do you think should be changed for the next one in September?
    Last edited by RandomGuy; 05-11-2012 at 10:59 PM.

I haven't been to a Nopi show since... 2004 maybe? So take this for what it's worth.

I'm not sure how you keep down the number of asshats that show up to any event... They seem to be multiplying at an alarming rate. Or maybe I'm just getting old... But whatever, simplify the "classes" for awards to a few categories. No "Best Honda on 16" wheels and 5lbs of Fiberglass" awards.

Best Import, Best Domestic, Best Lowrider blah blah blah, kids need to start learning that not everyone is special and not everyone gets a prize just because they participated.

In other words, this...

No.

I would prefer a bracket class that way just because you have the most HP means you win... But I also understand that that is harder to do and manage. So "Quick 32" or whatever is easiest is fine.

Me personally, I never cared for the burnout competition. Watching the hoppers was always more fun.

Ditch having a concert in the middle of a show. I don't care if 'Ludacris or DJ Scratch n' Sniff performs or not. I'm going to a car show to see cars.

Quote Originally Posted by RandomGuy View Post
    You want to scene back? Stop complaining and do something. Let's not go into the politics and drama, instead lets stay ON-TOPIC and be constructive so we can have more awesome meets again.
    Quote Originally Posted by -EnVus- View Post
    I wouldn't have anything to do with NOPI anymore just my opionion
    Nice.

Privateer Racing!!

They are having the car show/ race at Atlanta dragway in commerce. The dates have already been set.if they going to have a race tell them they need to use Import face off classes and rules and they will get alot more people. And stop being assholes and think their shot don't stink, the need us we don't need them.

^^well said sir
    Ballin' on a Budget

For the car show, have less classes, and less winners. Lower the price to attract more people.

For spectators, keep the cost low, so that you will attract more people.

No more concerts, but keep the bikini contest. No foam pit, etc. Keep to basics, and keep the cost down.
    "Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." - Steve McQueen

don't charge $50+ admission like the original ad said.

want to show your car - $25 for the whole carload

admission for everyone else - $10 each person, or even FREE

want to drag race - then you can do $50 or something, but give them some runs before elimination, not 1 and done, to make it worthwhile

only have a few classes for the car show. do a bracket type elimination for the drags - yes, takes some work but that is why the promoters are getting paid.
    You're right - I have no idea what I'm talking about...

Privateer Racing!!

Yup they need to keep cost low. Maybe back in day they could charge 50 or 60 dollars a person not anymore. Don't try to get rich your first couple of events. Because you need to apologize to a whole industry that you screwed. And I'm talking about companies that support this sport.

Senior Member | IA Veteran quickdodge®'s Avatar

The reason why the costs are so high is because of the unnecessary additives such as bikini contests and concerts and races during the show. Need to lose the bikini contest. Need to lose the concerts. Need to separate the car show from the races. Those things will drop the prices considerably. Not a lot of people are interested in the racing aspect of tuning just as a lot of people are not interested in the show car aspect.

This is why I love smaller local (town square) type shows. Just your basic car show with a couple of venders (homemade treats).

Everyone that knows the real history of NOPI shows knows the best shows were pre-2000. These are my opinions on what should be done and I guess it doesn't really matter because I'm pretty sure I'll not go to another one. Later, QD.
    FOR MORE INFO, CLICK THE PIC!!!

The best ones were at Lakewood. That was much smaller, but so much fun. It was great walking through the buildings, and then roaming outside, and finding still more really well done show cars there. Everywhere you looked, quality was there, and it wasn't 2 miles across like AMS.

Quote Originally Posted by quickdodge® View Post
    Everyone that knows the real history of NOPI shows knows the best shows were pre-2000.
    Quote Originally Posted by David88vert View Post
    The best ones were at Lakewood. That was much smaller, but so much fun. It was great walking through the buildings, and then roaming outside, and finding still more really well done show cars there. Everywhere you looked, quality was there, and it wasn't 2 miles across like AMS.
    See? Lowriders and VWs were plentiful at those shows. Loved it. Later, QD.

I say it now. If they will hold it again at Lakewood, I'll rebuild my '64 from the ground up and bring it back there.

Senior Member | IA Veteran 1civic's Avatar

Nothing changed, and the promoters don't listen... Who cares about burn-outs, rather see drifting.. And A neon contest, really dude??

I seen nothing about racing, WHY NOT? IFO rules, Show Down rules, Import vs Dom?

Make is for all, not just an event for a bondo bucket with Hid's and neons!!

Geeezz...

1) bikini, wet t shirt contest is fine

2) Car show needs restrictions, limited classes, and fewer awards

3) Racing with restrictions, safety rules, etc

4) No open racing, TnT is fine, but add a time limit

5) Focus on the people, meaning ask the people for feed back (hint hint)

6) Give back to the people, which means share the wealth (prize money)

7) It's for the people so base the event/events on what people enjoy

AND

8) Leave out the B/S

Last edited by 1civic; 05-12-2012 at 06:39 PM.

i think a true street tire class, no drag radials or slicks, would give "regular folks" a place to race where they may not feel intimidated, alot of people wont race because they think they have a traction disadvantage... big v8 with regular street tires blows the tires off everytime, the same with most turbo cars, but an all motor fwd car is going to get out off the line faster because they can put there traction to the groung... it levels the playing field... you could lump alot of people in this class who would otherwise not pay to race... paying makes money, money makes the promoters happy, people can go race that wouldn't race otherwise... everybody wins...

Senior Member | IA Veteran 1civic's Avatar

says open racing on web site, but that is gay.. I'd rather see classes formed with rules, pay-outs, etc..

Not fun racing a bunch of 14-15sec cars, and no one enjoys watching that ether! LOL

Privateer Racing!!

I think by having actual race classes will bring more cars\ People to attened. Look at Import showdown is huge and its only racing.

Quote Originally Posted by B18c1Turboed View Post
    I think by having actual race classes will bring more cars\ People to attened. Look at Import showdown is huge and its only racing.
    I don't mean to just stop doing the racing series. Just separate it from the show. Like it used to be. Have a NOPI Nationals Super Show as just a car show, leaving out the bikini contests and concerts and retaining just what is needed. The show. Then they can have their racing series which is just that. Racing.

And I agree with several folks. Downsize the classes. Later, QD.

Senior Member | IA Veteran Elbow's Avatar

The only Nopi Nationals I'd go to is if it were like it was in the late 90s.

Hydraulic contests, burnouts, insane show cars, etc.

No fitment/stance cars, no drifting, none of that BS.

Privateer Racing!!

Quote Originally Posted by simontibbett View Post
    The only Nopi Nationals I'd go to is if it were like it was in the late 90s.

Hydraulic contests, burnouts, insane show cars, etc.

No fitment/stance cars, no drifting, none of that BS.
    good luck with that. It will be like import alliance just maybe bigger. Times have changed.

Senior Member | IA Veteran Elbow's Avatar

good luck with that. It will be like import alliance just maybe bigger. Times have changed.
    Well then screw Nopi! lol

Besides what has already been said, they need to offer vendors free booths. I miss the days of NOPI where there was rows and rows of vendors with some of the baddest cars in the southeast.

I'd rather see Hot Import Nights come back to the GICC again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Echonova View Post
    Bitches love bacon.

IA.COM Founder.

Keep it simple..Atlanta Dragway is not expensive, however not cheap either. If they manage to get one big sponsor that can pay for the track, this will help with the cost at the door. Entrance fee is to expensive for a struggling market.

You will need some sort of entertainment to keep people glued in.. Events this long get boring quick.

Again, as a former promoter for TFS, key here is to keep entrance as cheap as possible.. 2 things i get out of the price so high.. Not enough sponsors or trying to get rich at the door... Or cut back prize giveaways.. Tough compromise.

1 or 2 big sponsors + Smaller vendors paying a small fee for space..

Now, i can only imagine how tough this can be for NOPI.. As im sure they do not want to lose money on this venture.. But they have to compromise somewhere.. Vendors, enthusiast, spectators are not happy with what happened in the past.. This will be a tough and a Gamble...

Wish them luck.

IA.COM Founder.

Btw- Nopi Shows back in the day.. 1 at lakewood and 98/99/2000/01.. Man, I had so much fun..epic moments in my young adult life..

i have never been to a nopi event but, i have been to car shows an they make a killing, one because they dont try to rob all your money just to get in and two they are respectable enough to have vendors to pay a small fee to set up booths with food, drinks, free giveaways and ect........ i agree with the ones on the concert. if i want to see one i will pay and go see one, but i want to see cars...... nice cars.... no fiberglass, kited up neon! a cobalt with lambo doors!!! i know there is alot of average joes like me that dont have the means to sink alot of money in there cars but can tastefully mod their car like myself. so i would recommend one or two clases for the average joe.

example... lol
    1-UP!

Mark @ NOPI called me today to discuss our options on having a vendor booth at this event. Judging by what I saw at NOPI/HIN at AMS a couple years ago I thought the prices for vendor space were pretty high, attendance at that event was pretty weak. Then again, he also said that he really wanted vendors there and would do his best to work with us. I guess we will see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by jtdb8 View Post
    i have never been to a nopi event but, i have been to car shows an they make a killing, one because they dont try to rob all your money just to get in and two they are respectable enough to have vendors to pay a small fee to set up booths with food, drinks, free giveaways and ect........ i agree with the ones on the concert. if i want to see one i will pay and go see one, but i want to see cars...... nice cars.... no fiberglass, kited up neon! a cobalt with lambo doors!!! i know there is alot of average joes like me that dont have the means to sink alot of money in there cars but can tastefully mod their car like myself. so i would recommend one or two clases for the average joe.

example... lol
    So what you really saying is that you don't want to see car with Lamborghini doors and bondo neon?
    And that you want to see every car the the car show to look like your? If I want to see "clean" car with no "different" mod I would walk into the car dealer.

Yup they need to keep cost low. Maybe back in day they could charge 50 or 60 dollars a person not anymore. Don't try to get rich your first couple of events. Because you need to apologize to a whole industry that you screwed. And I'm talking about companies that support this sport.

thats the problem. they pm'd me after i was bitching about how they screwed people and companies asking why i was bad mouthing. they don't think they did anything wrong, just a bad economy. ..... .. ......... ..
    www.MSSRACING.com - 99 Civic CX - Best ET: 9.53 / Best MPH: 160 - Competition Clutch - Arias Pistons - Coatings M.D. - Mahle-Clevite - ebtec - AHobbs Racing - JKOBD - TDC Performance
    Daily D: 2007 Dodge 2500 MEGA CAB, Cummins Turbo Diesel

Privateer Racing!!

Honestly it would be dumb for them to have a event at commerce and have no racing involved.

Nopi was about customization. they kicked out more altezzas, euros, fiberglass, and chrome than anything. Nopi was home grown. NOW Evberyone else went back to the basics, why shouldnt they. we still have a nopi shop in forst park, what about getting the support of the local clubs and shops.

As far as comparison, every major show has a khumo tent, skunk2 makes some rare appearences out here, but there are plenty of supporters for the brand if they just sold better stuff.

market this thing. there are still paint shops, there are still performance shops, there are people willing to pay for what they want, just dont bring cheap bullshit to the table.
    Making it.. one part at a time....

IA Member

Quote Originally Posted by YoItsCarlie View Post
    Nopi was about customization. they kicked out more altezzas, euros, fiberglass, and chrome than anything. Nopi was home grown. NOW Evberyone else went back to the basics, why shouldnt they. we still have a nopi shop in forst park, what about getting the support of the local clubs and shops.
    I'm sure ya know that the local shops are always welcome to have booth space at these events, right? Nopi is a parts distributor, so these local shops are their customers, and Nopi wants them promoted as much as we do.

As far as comparison, every major show has a khumo tent, skunk2 makes some rare appearences out here, but there are plenty of supporters for the brand if they just sold better stuff.
    This I don't understand, how do you mean that statement? is it a statement about Nopi, or local shops, or the scene in general?

market this thing. there are still paint shops, there are still performance shops, there are people willing to pay for what they want, just dont bring cheap bullshit to the table.
    I agree with this statement completely. I'm sure alot of shops would love to do some promoting, especially if they have vested interest, like a discount coupon for tickets bought through them. Nopi/HIN had a similar progam (Mark, when you read this you'll remember) and I'm sure Nopi will roll out a program that will help individual promoters as well as possible vendors. As time draws closer more details will come out.

IA Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chadbee@Forged View Post
    Then again, he also said that he really wanted vendors there and would do his best to work with us.
    I'm sure Mark told you about current vendor prices, but from my experience if you want a booth at one of their events, they're generally willing to make any deal.

Quote Originally Posted by mcwheels View Post
    I'm sure Mark told you about current vendor prices, but from my experience if you want a booth at one of their events, they're generally willing to make any deal.
    He did....and he said he would work with us, we had the only Lexus LFA in Georgia out with us at Import Alliance and he seamed to really want that caliber of cars there. He was very nice and said he would work with us.

IA Member

that's good to hear. Everyone has their opinions about what should happen, and the important thing in my opinion is to be able to work out differences like gentlemen.

Nopi just needs to look at IA model. $10 per car, and i bet those guys are making $10-20k per event easy. Strip it down. This isnt 99-2001.

Smaller classes, smaller prizes, people just want an excuse to hang out and see something different. They arent trying to win car shows and crap like 10 years ago. Racers want structured competitive classes. The race cars will benefit from the payouts and that will draw them in way more than the "car show" people. The car show people will show up if you provide them a place to park for them and their friends.

Vendor booths, my advice is due the BARE MINIMUM to cover expenses. Unlike NOPI Nationals, you are not going to get money for the vendor booths. Companies have downsized, gone under, etc. You want to advertise that "FORGED PERFORMANCE IS bRINGING AN LFA" and hope that draws in 10000 people rather than try to make money off Forged. the "DOOR" is where you make your money.

Since no one really trusts or cares about Nopi anymore, your goal should be to throw a cheap show that gets everyone to show up and yearn for the next one, then you can think about charging vendors more, etc.

My advice is pack as many vendors in as possible, that will attract people to pay your cheap DOOR price, break even, make a small profit, throw a great show, then gradually increase the vendor prices next show when you have something to show them and you have proved yourself.

Right now, the old NOPI name, means more negative than anything
    Enterprise Data Resources- Ecommerce Project Manager
    -www.usedbarcode.net

Quote Originally Posted by Vteckidd View Post
    you are not going to get money for the vendor booths.
    We knew Import Alliance was going to draw 4,000+ people and we still weren't willing to pay for a booth there. Caffeine and Octane is more our targeted audience than NOPI and they offer vender space for CHEAP....and we still don't do that. We can barely keep up with the business we have, the only reason we go out to events is because we honestly enjoy it and just for the coverage/marketing aspect of it.

Honestly to us it really doesn't matter if we have booth space or not, if we do then cool....if not then I can always apply for a media pass since I am a photographer, bring out a sick car and park it with promotional cards stuck under the windshield wipers.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin? View Post
    So what you really saying is that you don't want to see car with Lamborghini doors and bondo neon?
    And that you want to see every car the the car show to look like your? If I want to see "clean" car with no "different" mod I would walk into the car dealer.
    QFTMFT!!!!! that's why my basic ass car would stay at the entrance and i'd go see the other really modded vehicles and i'd probably see one or two things that i'd like to eventually incorporate in my car or i just really love to look at

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfix_15 View Post
    You travel with so much luggage that it wont fit in a wagon? you dating a kardashian?

Quote Originally Posted by Chadbee@Forged View Post
    We knew Import Alliance was going to draw 4,000+ people and we still weren't willing to pay for a booth there. Caffeine and Octane is more our targeted audience than NOPI and they offer vender space for CHEAP....and we still don't do that. We can barely keep up with the business we have, the only reason we go out to events is because we honestly enjoy it and just for the coverage/marketing aspect of it.

Honestly to us it really doesn't matter if we have booth space or not, if we do then cool....if not then I can always apply for a media pass since I am a photographer, bring out a sick car and park it with promotional cards stuck under the windshield wipers.
    thats my point , they need you more than you need them. Forged is probably a bad example because your guys audience is night and day different. BUT, Nopis standpoint should be to get you there in as big a way as possible for as little money as possible. "We want you to bring the GTR, the LFA, and 5 350zs and we want to promote that" should be their approach.

If that means giving you a booth for $100, so be it.

What i see is them trying to capitalize on their name that they thought was just so big itll draw people in and you should be begging them to be apart of any event they have. Its arrogant and its unfounded. They are nobody special anymore. There are events much better and bigger than them RIGHT NOW that have a good reputation.

They need to WORK their way back in. But that is not in Mark or Mikes makeup
    Enterprise Data Resources- Ecommerce Project Manager
    -www.usedbarcode.net

Thanks for the input. First I'll address the car show classes. Instead of 344 classes which is what I believe the last nationals had, I will be running 100 classes split equally by car makes. There will be 3 divisions: STREET - CUSTOM - WILD. Some classes will be a lot fuller than others, that's why I have the awards arranged preportionally by division and then by the number of contestants in a class. The awards are custom made of crystal glass and are very nice awards. If awards are not your thing, than don't worry about it, you probably won't win anyway. No need to stick around for the awards. Just enjoy the show.

Street - 1 in 10 is a winner
    Custom - 1 in 5 is a winner
    Wild -1 in 3 is a winner

This is explained in detail on NOPINATIONALS.com under Car Show link on the left side.

STREET DIVISION
    AUDI - BMW - PORSCHE - MERCEDES - MINI - VW - JAGUAR - VOLVO - SAAB
    • Compact
    • Sport Coupe/Roadster
    • Mid Size/Full Size Luxury
    • Pick-up/SUV/Crossover/Van

CHEVROLET - PONTIAC - GMC - SATURN - CADILLAC - OLDSMOBILE - HUMMER
    • Compact
    • Sport Coupe/Roadster

DODGE - CHRYSLER - JEEP
    • Compact
    • Sport Coupe/Roadster

FORD - LINCOLN - MERCURY
    • Compact
    • Sport Coupe/Roadster

HONDA - ACURA
    • Compact
    • Sport Coupe/Roadster

HYUNDAI - KIA - SUZUKI - ISUZU
    • Compact
    • Sport Coupe/Roadster

MAZDA - MITSUBISHI - SUBARU
    • Compact
    • Sport Coupe/Roadster

NISSAN - INFINITI
    • Compact
    • Sport Coupe/Roadster

TOYOTA - LEXUS - SCION
    • Compact
    • Sport Coupe/Roadster

OVERALL
    • Micro Compact
    • Hybrid/Electric
    • Asian Supercar
    • European Supercar
    • American Supercar
    • Asian Classic - Pre 90's
    • European Classic - Pre 90's
    • American Classic - Pre 90's
    • NOPI CHIC
    • Engine Swapped
    • JDM Style
    • Unfinished

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    CUSTOM DIVISION
    • Compact
    • Sport Coupe/Roadster

• Compact
    • Sport Coupe/Roadster

DODGE - CHRYSLER - JEEP
    • Compact
    • Sport Coupe/Roadster

FORD - LINCOLN - MERCURY
    • Compact
    • Sport Coupe/Roadster

HONDA - ACURA
    • Compact
    • Sport Coupe/Roadster

• Compact
    • Sport Coupe/Roadster

• Compact
    • Sport Coupe/Roadster

NISSAN - INFINITI
    • Compact
    • Sport Coupe/Roadster

TOYOTA - LEXUS - SCION
    • Compact
    • Sport Coupe/Roadster

OVERALL
    • Supercar
    • Classic - Pre 90's
    • Engine Swapped
    • JDM Style
    • Unfinished
    • JDM Style
    • Unfinished

WILD DIVISION
    • All models

• All models

DODGE - CHRYSLER - JEEP
    • All models

FORD - LINCOLN - MERCURY
    • All models

HONDA - ACURA
    • All models

• All models

• All models

NISSAN - INFINITI
    • All models

TOYOTA - LEXUS - SCION
    • All models

ELITE
    Elite awards are chosen for all entries

• Best Carbon Fiber
    • Best Paint
    • Best Engine
    • Best Interior
    • Best Stance
    • Best Performance Vehicle

Best of show Street - $1000
    Best of show Custom - $1000
    Best of show Wild - $1000

Next I want to address the Drag Racing and Drifting.

As of right now, there is only OPEN DRAG RACING. Free to all participants of the car show or the USACi Sound Competition. I have more racing in mind but I am only willing to risk a certain amout on the event. Any additional Drag Racing will be added as sponsors are brought on board to help finance the payout. I've just about got enough to add a Quick 32. This way anyone can enter and race all day Saturday dailing in their time and then on Sunday the quickest 32 will run eliminations bracket style for the money. I'm hoping for a 5K to 8K payout, but like I said, I will be trying to aquire more sponsor for this. We could not run a multiple class structure due to the fact that I do not have tech team in place and the classes would probably not fill up anyway. Tech will be for safty inspection only so there will be no rules to speak of unless we do not allow automatic shifters. There are 3 other drag racing programs in the works so hopefully the track will be hoppin all day, both days.

A Drift show is the same situation. I would have to rent the K-Rail and bring a team in which isn't cheap. There are still over 4 months so a lot can happen in that time.

Thanks for the suggestions on the race program. I will keep you posted as things develop.

Quote Originally Posted by Vteckidd View Post
    thats my point , they need you more than you need them. Forged is probably a bad example because your guys audience is night and day different. BUT, Nopis standpoint should be to get you there in as big a way as possible for as little money as possible. "We want you to bring the GTR, the LFA, and 5 350zs and we want to promote that" should be their approach.

If that means giving you a booth for $100, so be it.

What i see is them trying to capitalize on their name that they thought was just so big itll draw people in and you should be begging them to be apart of any event they have. Its arrogant and its unfounded. They are nobody special anymore. There are events much better and bigger than them RIGHT NOW that have a good reputation.

They need to WORK their way back in. But that is not in Mark or Mikes makeup
    Well said Mike
    '82 TE72 SR5 Sport Coupe
    3tc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast