Thread: Just got my first handgun

Default Just got my first handgun

Just picked up a Ruger p-89DC from my uncle. This is the first handgun I've owned and honestly I'm a noob to guns so I've got a few questions.
    First off, is this a decent gun? Anything to check for, be weary of, etc?
    Do I have to register the gun?
    Do I need a carry license to have it in my car? If not, should I get one anyway?

You have to have it registered to carry it and no permit is needed to have it in the car it's gotta be unloaded and ammo sepperate from it.

i kept mine next to me loaded atlanta pd pulled me over checked it out didnt say to keep it unloaded you sure it has to be separated
    /sig

I Do Not Have a Firearms License. What Can I Do?

Q: I don’t have a Georgia Weapons License. Can I carry in my car?
    A: Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a weapon or long gun on his or her property or inside his or her home, motor vehicle, or place of business without a valid weapons carry license. In addition, such person may carry a long gun, which must be carried openly if loaded. Moreover, such person may carry in his or her own motor vehicle. Finally, if such person is eligible for a Georgia Weapons License, he or she may carry in any private passenger motor vehicle.

info you need here

http://www.importatlanta.com/forums/...-SHOULD-STICKY!
    /sig

Quote Originally Posted by 94_teg_ls View Post
    i kept mine next to me loaded atlanta pd pulled me over checked it out didnt say to keep it unloaded you sure it has to be separated
    I was told by a cop unless you have a carry permit then to transport it the gun must be unloaded and ammo separate.

I ♥ Sluts

If you're going to conceal it, I'd get a baby Glock 9mm/40/.357. I had the 26, which was the baby 9mm and it shot great, held 11 in the mag, and hid nicely on my hip or ankle. Also get your permit it's under 50 bucks and oh so worth every penny. It's priceless going to Walmart or riding Marta with a loaded pistol on you.

Thanks to everyone for the info. I'll probably end up getting the permit. I took it out and emptied a mag. Seems to shoot pretty well and I really like the feel of it.

Anything Ruger is good shit, There is no firearms registry in GA, and yes you should get a permit ASAP.

You can have it in your car loaded without a permit as long as it is in a holster in plain view. It can be in a glove box / console but must be unloaded.
    Quote Originally Posted by Echonova View Post
    And I do drive a Miata, so I am gayer than a three dollar bill...

Senior Member | IA Veteran quickdodge®'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slostang View Post
    Anything Ruger is good shit, There is no firearms registry in GA, and yes you should get a permit ASAP.

You can have it in your car loaded without a permit as long as it is in a holster in plain view. It can be in a glove box / console but must be unloaded.
    Yup. Before I got my permit, I laid mine in the passenger seat loaded. Never was told differently by any officer. Later, QD.
    FOR MORE INFO, CLICK THE PIC!!!

im a organ donor :) 00 blk G20t's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 94_teg_ls View Post
    i always thought it had to be a 2 step process to fire it. safety off and pulling the slide is 2 steps so i think the clip can be in and loaded if the gun has a safety.
    Best G20 SR2009 convention
    in attendance Nissan national convention 2010(Omaha, Nebraska)
    top 20 hotlanta autofest 09

He had my old SA XDM which had multiple safeties.

OP, rule #1: Don't blow your foot off.
    Bitches love bacon.

if I was you I would just get a license to carry. you don't have to worry about anything after that.
    when i hear "JDM" i think about 1998 and FF SQUAD. the originators
    BABIES "R" US crew

ive talked to a statey and you can hide it loaded without a permit in your car, they dont give a shit.....as long as you dont fire, they wont fire.

Reason being is theres nothing they can do about it anyways. Your either gonna use it or not.

If its in plain site or concealed, you dont have to tell them you have one...or anything about it, and its not their right to look at it or take it out of your car while your pulled over.
    www.MSSRACING.com - 99 Civic CX - Best ET: 9.53 / Best MPH: 160 - Competition Clutch - Arias Pistons - Coatings M.D. - Mahle-Clevite - ebtec - AHobbs Racing - JKOBD - TDC Performance
    Daily D: 2007 Dodge 2500 MEGA CAB, Cummins Turbo Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by SPOOLIN View Post
    ive talked to a statey and you can hide it loaded without a permit in your car, they dont give a shit.....as long as you dont fire, they wont fire.

Reason being is theres nothing they can do about it anyways. Your either gonna use it or not.

If its in plain site or concealed, you dont have to tell them you have one...or anything about it, and its not their right to look at it or take it out of your car while your pulled over.
    Damn dude is that for real? Its hard to believe that they wouldn't do anything about it if they found it on you. I live in Alabama & there's always shit posted on billboards about how much time you will get if breaking a gun law. That's why I haven't got one yet. The cops in these little towns are crazy on power trips. lol

Oh how I wanted to say this exact same thing but I wanted the OP to be responsible and do the research himself.

Another way of putting this is Georgia Law provides that an individual shall be able to carry a firearm loaded or unloaded in any location concealed or unconcealed within their vehicle without possession of a Georgia Weapons License or have said firearm registered so long as the individual is legally able to possess such firearm and is not limited by Federal Law to carry.

And to make another thing clear.....the State of Georgia only provides one licence and that is a Georgia Firearms Licence. Georgia does not have a specific concealed weapons permit.
    Bitches love bacon.

if you fall get back on 95droppedhatch's Avatar

you know the best way to make sure you are good with carrying it is get your license then there is no doubt about anything. cause one cop can say one thing and another cop do something different so its not worth the hassle of a bunch of he said she said rules. id just get your license then you can carry it on yourself and your car with no problems from anyone

Senior Member | IA Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by -EnVus- View Post
    You have to have it registered to carry it and no permit is needed to have it in the car it's gotta be unloaded and ammo sepperate from it.
    There isn't any LAW demanding you to registered it in GA

Quote Originally Posted by 95droppedhatch View Post
    you know the best way to make sure you are good with carrying it is get your license then there is no doubt about anything. cause one cop can say one thing and another cop do something different so its not worth the hassle of a bunch of he said she said rules. id just get your license then you can carry it on yourself and your car with no problems from anyone

Not entirely true , But having a license is better then not to . But still there are rules and laws for us all to go by . If he is a NOOB which sounds you are to . Please look in to this site

Georgiapacking.org
    Georgiacarry.org

read read read read about your rights, know your civil rights and know what and when to speak when in contact with a LEO

if you don't want to join a GREAT Sight such as these please read up on GA law SB308

and read state vs jones this will show you what can happen with a simple tag light out while having a gun in the car

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    Oh how I wanted to say this exact same thing but I wanted the OP to be responsible and do the research himself.

Another way of putting this is Georgia Law provides that an individual shall be able to carry a firearm loaded or unloaded in any location concealed or unconcealed within their vehicle without possession of a Georgia Weapons License or have said firearm registered so long as the individual is legally able to possess such firearm and is not limited by Federal Law to carry.

And to make another thing clear.....the State of Georgia only provides one licence and that is a Georgia Firearms Licence. Georgia does not have a specific concealed weapons permit.
    It's Georgia Weapons License now please read SB308

Quote Originally Posted by Tech5 View Post
    It's Georgia Weapons License now please read SB308
    I was about to say the same thing.
    www.MSSRACING.com - 99 Civic CX - Best ET: 9.53 / Best MPH: 160 - Competition Clutch - Arias Pistons - Coatings M.D. - Mahle-Clevite - ebtec - AHobbs Racing - JKOBD - TDC Performance

Quote Originally Posted by slostang View Post

READ SB308 there isn't any holster law any more

Quote Originally Posted by motormike40 View Post
    If you're going to conceal it, I'd get a baby Glock 9mm/40/.357. I had the 26, which was the baby 9mm and it shot great, held 11 in the mag, and hid nicely on my hip or ankle. Also get your permit it's under 50 bucks and oh so worth every penny. It's priceless going to Walmart or riding Marta with a loaded pistol on you.
    80 bucks now in GA

i have hand cannons for my house, im looking for a nice .32 to carry.

80 bucks now in GA
    serious?? just a year ago it was 60 bucks! damn...i need to hurry up and make my wife get one before it goes any higher.
    BABIES "R" US crew

i have hand cannons for my house, im looking for a nice .32 to carry.
    kel tec p32 would be my first choice to look at.
    BABIES "R" US crew

Wow at the misinformation in this thread.

Not entirely true , But having a license is better then not to . But still there are rules and laws for us all to go by . If he is a NOOB which sounds you are to . Please look in to this site

Georgiapacking.org
    Georgiacarry.org

read read read read about your rights, know your civil rights and know what and when to speak when in contact with a LEO

if you don't want to join a GREAT Sight such as these please read up on GA law SB308

and read state vs jones this will show you what can happen with a simple tag light out while having a gun in the car
    Best advice right there. Don't take anyone else word on laws pertaining to something that can land you in a seriously bad situation, research, read, learn and inform yourself on the laws and your rights.

Quote Originally Posted by r_Senik View Post
    serious?? just a year ago it was 60 bucks! damn...i need to hurry up and make my wife get one before it goes any higher.
    Sure is it changed this year and will be this price until they find another way to raise it again.

That's what I meant, Tech5. As opposed to a "concealed weapons permit", I was off by one word, my mistake.
    Bitches love bacon.

That's what I meant, Tech5. As opposed to a "concealed weapons permit", I was off by one word, my mistake.
    It's a Big word when talking about our 2nd Amendment rights my friend
    BTW it's not a concealed permit it's a license to carry open or conceal

I know it's not a concealed weapons permit, but that's what a lot of people call it.
    Bitches love bacon.

I know it's not a concealed weapons permit, but that's what a lot of people call it.
    Just because people calls it one thing don't mean it's right.That's when you help educate because if we don't start educating there will be to many re-re's running around.