Thread: .40 cal ammo questions

Default .40 cal ammo questions

What do you guys use for standard range shooting and for home defense??? And why??
    I usually get the Winchester at walmart but then the other day i was there and a customer said that the Remington umc were better due to less powder when firing...im looking for something thats good for the money in both areas...would gun matter just in case i have the Taurus MILLENNIUM PRO .40 cal
    "Arriving at one goal is the starting point to another." – John Dewey

shot placement is more important than the type of ammo, but assuming all variables equal except the bullet..... you should carry hollow points; they do more damage. At the range i suggest shooting what you carry if you have the money for it, but if not just shoot whats cheapest and doesnt have failures.
    GCO Member
    NRA Member

For the range I shoot Federal, that you buy at Wal-Mart. It's cheap, I've never had any issues out of it and they are loaded fairly well for range use. As for self-defense I use either MagTech and Remington Golden Sabers. They have given me the most consistent expanding results, at least from my personal field tests and they work well with my carry guns. But, really man you need to practice with whichever self defense round that you get, even though it is expensive and also make sure that your gun operates smoothly with that particular ammo. Guns react differently with different types of ammo.

the best .40 round is the federal hst. best weight retention and expansion. if they made it in 10mm, i would carry it. The 180gr Federal HST is the BEST round you can buy right now. Price point is cheaper than most, and the performance is outstanding. They're just impossible to find. If your gun feeds them, CARRY them. If you EVER see them, BUY them.

GCO Member
    NRA Member

^^^does seem better...thanks guys....cheap ammo just really dirty and wanted to know what to stay from...i do usually clean it after every use...imma try to look for then federal hst if i cant then just what ever dixie ammo dump recommends....

IA Member

keep in mind that if you carry 180gr for personal protection its recommended that you practice with 180gr..... the projectile weight also affects shot placement.

so less/more grain adds less/more power??? okay i'll keep that in mind...

Quote Originally Posted by EJdm View Post
    so less/more grain adds less/more power??? okay i'll keep that in mind...
    More like the grain (a unit of measuring weight) effects speed and thus trajectory (heavier the slower). The idea mugen is conveying is consistency. Use the same bullet weight for practice and defense. Just helps eliminate unneeded inconsistencies between shooting for fun and shooting to help save a life. Every little advantage you can get may help.

Also, i wouldn't worry about dirty shooting ammo. I like GA Arms "canned heat" for practice. Run what runs, avoid what doesn't.
    "The 1911 is a collection of subsystems that must work together. Each part must be prepared and fit properly not only in and of itself, but also with regard to the other parts with which it must operate for the gun to function and appear as desired."

IA Member

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    More like the grain (a unit of measuring weight) effects speed and thus trajectory (heavier the slower). The idea mugen is conveying is consistency. Use the same bullet weight for practice and defense. Just helps eliminate unneeded inconsistencies between shooting for fun and shooting to help save a life. Every little advantage you can get may help.

Also, i wouldn't worry about dirty shooting ammo. I like GA Arms "canned heat" for practice. Run what runs, avoid what doesn't.
    Thanks Danny,

To make it simple, the factory ammunition labeled "180grn" will have a projectile at that weight. not the powder. with training and practice you can actually feel the recoil and distinguish the difference between 180grn and 165grn.

all my questions were answerd.. +reps to all of the above, thanks guys!

ok this thread just made me feel like a complete nOOb, and I have owned guns for years.

you guys know your shit! +4 all around

IA Member

no problem....train well guys.

i enjoys guns and play with safety but never really care to know why bullted are made they are LOL....as long as it doesnt jam im good...standard or hallow, its a 40 its going to go threw no matter what...right??? all you guys are great thanks a lot guys....

The only rounds I use are Federal 135gr Hydrashock or PMC Starfires.
    Quote Originally Posted by Echonova View Post
    Bitches love bacon.

hydrashocks are an outdated design. it works but they aren't impressive. Old-school mushroom cores can't compete with new-school star cores. Especially since the star cores expand bigger yet penetrate just as deep.
    GCO Member
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by EJdm View Post
    i enjoys guns and play with safety but never really care to know why bullted are made they are LOL....as long as it doesnt jam im good...standard or hallow, its a 40 its going to go threw no matter what...right??? all you guys are great thanks a lot guys....
    not really man. a well placed shot is most important, but stopping your aggressor is priority. if you hit center mass with an fmj, its a high probability they will be able to withstand a few shots for a little while. could be the difference of having to dodge them firing back ya know? they could very well be firing at you as well, so stopping the attack as soon as possible is a big deal. hollow points do more damage and the absolute best choice for a carry weapon; also less probability of over penetration and injuring someone behind your target. although i tend to not worry too much about over penetration since only a small percentage of shots fired even hit the target, your misses go zooming right by anyway.
    GCO Member
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by patrick4588 View Post
    the best .40 round is the federal hst. best weight retention and expansion. if they made it in 10mm, i would carry it. The 180gr Federal HST is the BEST round you can buy right now. Price point is cheaper than most, and the performance is outstanding. They're just impossible to find. If your gun feeds them, CARRY them. If you EVER see them, BUY them.

Do you have any pics/comparisons like this for .45 ammo?

nah sorry man
    GCO Member
    NRA Member

That Federal HST mushrooms very similar to the PMC Starfire which is what I just replaced my HydraShoks with. Only noticeable difference is the Starfire mushrooms into five points where those HSTs open up to six points. Very good info you posted there too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Echonova View Post
    Bitches love bacon.

i drive a giant blueberry preferredduck's Avatar

i know this is late posting but i use and have shot a few items with federal hydr shok and the winchester pdx1. i will be getting more winchesther, right now mine is 180 grain but they do make a 165 graain, i's at bass pro shob and with all the ballistaics i have seen on them i will always get those or the federal.
    Check out my for sale threads!! 15" competition speakerbox, 1TB External hard drive, and plenty of car parts!!!

I Need some WRX, 350Z, 240SX, Really any car owner to let me do R&D for Ground Kits, Please Let me See the layouts!!!

I run the Federal HST's in my .40 Glock 27. Great round for self-defense.
    Who knows?