Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hi-point 9mm , good or bad?

Foxbodies?? Anyone?? ranger250x's Avatar

anyone have that picture of the Hi-Point thats broken in half like it was a break barrel gun?

I dont have anything negative to say about Hi-Point pistols, but if youre looking for reliability I would stick with the manufacturers that are well know for it(i.e. Glock, S&W, Springfield, Sig)

Similar to buying a helmet. How much is your head worth?
    1999 Mazda Miata- For Sale $4,500 FRIM!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaimecbr900 View Post
    I'm not one of those that haven't owned nor shot a Hi-Point. Matter of fact, I have a 995 Carbine still. I like to play with that one quite a bit.

With that said, if you have to "break in", "polish the ramp", "ammo sensitive", or feed less than the alloted number of rounds into the magazine for it to feed semi-reliably......AND it's a $150 gun.....AND you want to depend your life on it????? Ummm, no. Doesn't work that way. I mean, we all know how great a "man stopper" the venerable 9mm FMJ is, right? If it won't feed HP's until after 500 round break-in or polishing the ramp, then why not save the money you'd spend on the 500 rounds and use that to buy a gun that will feed anything from the get go?

We can polish the ramp and treat weapons gingerly and they ALL will feed just fine. I mean, take an entry level 1911 and change just about everything in it besides the frame and you have......a Kimber? Right?

My point is that the Hi-point pistols are good for what they are.....Saturday Night specials, truck gun, throw away gun. They are not going to be any more than that. If you expect more than that from a $150 gun, then you're stupid to think so. For a little more money, you can pick up 10x's the gun used at any gun show every other weekend.

never said I would put my life in the guns hands, but I do trust it to shoot every time I pull the trigger, which i does You hit it when you said its a good truck gun and plinker. they are big, ugly, bulky, and cheap, but like I said I will put mine up against any gun you bring to the range and I will shoot as good if not better than you will, just not as many times due to the 8 round mags

Quote Originally Posted by sklfrmga View Post
    never said I would put my life in the guns hands, but I do trust it to shoot every time I pull the trigger, which i does You hit it when you said its a good truck gun and plinker. they are big, ugly, bulky, and cheap, but like I said I will put mine up against any gun you bring to the range and I will shoot as good if not better than you will, just not as many times due to the 8 round mags
    Idk, that's quite a challenge for some of the Sigs and 1911's on here.

Top Notch

My brother had a highpoint 9mm that he gave me. That gun sucked! Seriously, I guess it's useful for the 1st round thats already in the barrel but i could never shoot a full mag without at least one round jamming. I carry a Taurus 9mm now and love it. Highpoint is good for 2 things. Intimidation and a paperweight.

Quote Originally Posted by 81911SC View Post

its a gun, its shoots a bullet, the same way as a Sig, a 1911, my XDm, G23, etc...

on a side note, what kind of Sig do you have? I was fondling a P220 Comp today at the Pawn shop, it was extremely well balanced and almost came home with me. I also played with the 238 (the little 1911 copy thats a .380)...it was this funky titanium multi-color

its a gun, its shoots a bullet, the same way as a Sig, a 1911, my XDm, G23, etc...

on a side note, what kind of Sig do you have? I was fondling a P220 Comp today at the Pawn shop, it was extremely well balanced and almost came home with me. I also played with the 238 (the little 1911 copy thats a .380)...it was this funky titanium multi-color
    I have a P250 but theres a little more to it then just shooting the bullet.

^^^

I'm game. Let me know when you want to play!
    Only two men ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. Defend your rights or lose them forever.

Im not talking about shooting a IDPA or USPSA match with it or anything...Im saying that I can take my high-end pistols and my C9 and shoot them one at a time and hit very similar groups. The fact that one gun cost $150 and the other cost almost $600 makes no difference at 7-10 yards

I think I do have a video of a buddy of mine shooting a 2L bottle from almost 60 yards with a G17. It was awesome. I need to see if I can find it...

Proud to be Retrosexual Jaimecbr900's Avatar

Kinda like a car is a car if you only want to go from point A to point B, right? Why don't you drive a Yugo then?

Pretty arrogant claims considering you don't know anything about me, what I shoot, nor the fact that I've been shooting competitions since before you hit puberty. That's cool though. If you think that just because you can hit the paper at 7 yds with an ugly, bulky, and cheap gun that the gun isn't ugly, bulky, and cheap......then cool for you.

I guess you think polished turds are filet mignons too, huh? Nope, they're still turds. Much like a gun that you have to "work" on to GET TO BE reliable is just like a car that you have to turbo charge to be "fast". What is it w/o the turbo? Slow, right? That's a fact, right? How does putting a turbo charger change the fact that it was slow BEFORE? It doesn't, right? Well, if your $150 gun NEEDS ramps polished, springs broken in, magazines broken in, and it doesn't like certain ammo no matter what you do to be considered a "decent" gun......no thanks. I'll pass.

I'd rather admit that I'm broke and call it what it is instead of trying to polish a turd and call it Filet. It's not filet, my friend, no matter how much you polish it. Bottomline.

Let's not forget the HK's.

Uhm no.... there are way more variables than the fact that they both project a bullet from the barrel.

Im not talking about shooting a IDPA or USPSA match with it or anything...Im saying that I can take my high-end pistols and my C9 and shoot them one at a time and hit very similar groups. The fact that one gun cost $150 and the other cost almost $600 makes no difference at 7-10 yards
    Actually, a shitty trigger, much like the one found on the Hi-Point, can make it difficult for many people to group well, even at only 7-10 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaimecbr900 View Post
    Kinda like a car is a car if you only want to go from point A to point B, right? Why don't you drive a Yugo then?

Pretty arrogant claims considering you don't know anything about me, what I shoot, nor the fact that I've been shooting competitions since before you hit puberty. That's cool though. If you think that just because you can hit the paper at 7 yds with an ugly, bulky, and cheap gun that the gun isn't ugly, bulky, and cheap......then cool for you.

I guess you think polished turds are filet mignons too, huh? Nope, they're still turds. Much like a gun that you have to "work" on to GET TO BE reliable is just like a car that you have to turbo charge to be "fast". What is it w/o the turbo? Slow, right? That's a fact, right? How does putting a turbo charger change the fact that it was slow BEFORE? It doesn't, right? Well, if your $150 gun NEEDS ramps polished, springs broken in, magazines broken in, and it doesn't like certain ammo no matter what you do to be considered a "decent" gun......no thanks. I'll pass.

I'd rather admit that I'm broke and call it what it is instead of trying to polish a turd and call it Filet. It's not filet, my friend, no matter how much you polish it. Bottomline.
    Im not trying to say that a Hi-Point is a better gun that any other gun, and as I also stated in an earlier post, I do think they are ugly and bulky, but I wont say its not a decent gun to go out and play with...it is

now, I guarantee if I go out, put 250 rounds through it and a Glock, dont clean them, put another 250 rounds through a week later and so on, the Glock is going to out perform the HP by a considerable amount. the HP is not manufactured to the same standards and will begin to jam/misfire. but, I clean every gun I shoot every time I shoot it. I clean my EDC once a week...not because I think it needs it, but because I want to make sure if I need to shoot it, it is in perfect shape.

My point is that just because its a cheap gun doesnt mean its a POS. I mean, Ive read stories about Glocks exploding, but does that make it a POS? no, it was a malfunction, which can happen to any machine.

and Im not saying anything bad about you and no, I dont know anything about you (I have met you at a couple of shows a few years ago and you seemed like a really good guy) but dont make this about a person, its about a firearm. I read back over that post and it didnt come out the way I meant for it to (I was watching the womens skiing and was distracted...Lindsey Vonn is a hottie). Im not trying to say I am a better shooter than you are. what I was saying was that shot for shot, my HP can hold with any gun you are shooting at the range. sorry it came out the way it did. and polished turds can taste just as good as a filet with the right seasoning

I am wanting to start competition shooting myself this summer, in which case I will be using my XDm. Theres a range about 20 minutes away that has USPSA and IDPA matches. Im gonna start going and watching the next couple to get an idea of how they work. Ive read all about them and it seems like its a good time

I wouldn't go for the Hi Point. Ruger, Sig, SA, and S&W are my top choices that I recommend. If you are going to get a handgun, buy something quality. Granted it is a little pricier but you get what you pay for. I love my SA and recommend them to anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Echonova View Post
    Bitches love bacon.

thanx for everyones input , i am gonna go with the s&w , i repped everyone i could

CAN YU HEAR ME NOW?? BanginBlazer's Avatar

my friend had a high point and it broke when he really needed it .. so he went out and bought a s&w

Originally Posted by carheadman
    ok kimbo slice bring your bananas bitch.

Good choice going with S&W. You would've hated that Hi Point. In the heat of the moment, I want something that I can rely on and not something that may fail so I chose SA. I love the safeties on the SA which was also something I took into consideration with kids being around me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Echonova View Post
    Bitches love bacon.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12