Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Christmas no longer polically correct?

Default Christmas no longer polically correct?

so i have been doing shopping and what not for christmas gifts and found out something interesting. i was at walmart and the register lady said merry...i mean happy holidays. i asked her why she didnt say merry christmas and her reply was that they were not supposed to say that anymore, so they dont offend anyone. its been an issue in the white house, government, schools, ect....since when is it wrong to say merry christmas? first they tried to take Christ out of christmas, even tho christmas literally means Christ was born. then when they couldnt do that they just did away with the whole thing. i dont see them changing the names of any other religious holiday. anybody else think this is crap?
    riding for God crew member #1

IA Domestic Alliance

when they say "happy holidays" to me, i look them directly in the eye, smile and say "merry christmas". most of the time they nod, wink or smile lol

Yep, Christmas is old fashioned and exists only for marketing.

There are other Holidays besides Christmas in December.

Did you know that?

so im not the only one that has noticed this.... i understand respecting other peoples beliefs but come on now. december 25th is christmas, not anything else.

IA Domestic Alliance

it exists only for marketing? im sorry but your wrong. people have been celebrating the birth of Christ long before sears and walmart turned it into the biggest consumer shopping day.

IA Domestic Alliance

Welcome to our wonderful new Politically Correct world. Where it's wrong to say Merry Christmas, illegal to spank your kids and every child is "Special".

No wonder our country is in the toilet.

Garage-Sixgun
    If you're gonna do it, overdo it.

Dirty Octopus Photography. Magic with a shutter!

ima take that one step further and say, " welcome to the beggining of communism in the usa, where you can no longer have an oppinion and you have to do what the government says."

IA Domestic Alliance

IA's Pervert

It's about respecting other people's beliefs... Happy holidays is more appropriate than Merry Christmas. Would you say Merry Christmas to a Jew? Didn't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by geoff View Post
    ima take that one step further and say, " welcome to the beggining of communism in the usa, where you can no longer have an oppinion and you have to do what the government says."
    Nah. You don't have to say "Happy Holidays" You can say what you want. Me....When they say "Happy Holidays" I simply look them in the eye and wish them a Merry Christmas. I don't care who I offend with that.

See...I look at offending people over Religion like I look at Premature Ejaculation.. I don't suffer from it.....the other person i'm dealing with does.

Garage-Sixgun

I come from Communism and we celebrated what we wanted. The problem with you is you come from a country where people think they know everything about other cultures when they haven't a clue.

And btw, if you were such a good Christian, you'd know not everyone celebrates Christmas on Dec 25.

Quote Originally Posted by Glides View Post
    I don't care who I offend with that.
    What if they were obviously Hindu, Jewish, Muslim, Buddhist, or anything else? That's pretty low class imo.

Senior Member | IA Veteran quickdodgeŽ's Avatar

so i have been doing shopping and what not for christmas gifts and found out something interesting. i was at walmart and the register lady said merry...i mean happy holidays.
    Welcome back to the 90s, man. This has been going on for about a decade now. Old, old news. Later, QD.
    FOR MORE INFO, CLICK THE PIC!!!

I'll be honest. This was probably one of the more stupid comments you've posted. How about I stop by your place and help you pack your bags so you can go find a place on Earth that will better suit your living requirements.

You'll be back in a few days when you realize that this country is still the best one to live in and it isn't as bad as your fantastical ideas are telling you. Later, QD.

I think the problem is we are worried too much about what other people think or we are too worried about offending them.

Quote Originally Posted by oneSLOWex View Post
    I think the problem is we are worried too much about what other people think or we are too worried about offending them.
    We who? I'm not worried about what other people think of me or fo what other people think period. I don't care if my neighbor to my left observes Kwanzaa and if my neighbor to the right observes Rosh Hashanah. I don't see why others can't show that same level of respect. Later, QD.

Quote Originally Posted by quickdodgeŽ View Post
    We who? I'm not worried about what other people think of me or fo what other people think period. I don't care if my neighbor to my left observes Kwanzaa and if my neighbor to the right observes Rosh Hashanah. I don't see why others can't show that same level of respect. Later, QD.
    I meant Walmart and whoever else in general...Someone at work was telling me about an article she saw on CNN where some school wouldnt let a little girl sing some song because it said Merry Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by oneSLOWex View Post
    I meant Walmart and whoever else in general...Someone at work was telling me about an article she saw on CNN where some school wouldnt let a little girl sing some song because it said Merry Christmas.
    Places like Wal-Mart are in business to make money. So they try to find a "happy" medium to try to cater to all walks of life and all beliefs. They don't know much money they would lose (if they lost anything) and I'm sure they aren't really trying to find out.

It's just a sad state of affairs is all I can say. Later, QD.

I agree that no one should be punished or offended by someone saying Merry Xmas. Just as no Christian should be offended by being told "Happy Chanukah". Either way its a friendly gesture to wish someone happiness during this time of the year.

That being said, it makes more sense to use Happy Holidays (especially in a business setting). Some people celebrate holidays other than Christmas this time of year so why not use a greeting that included all holidays, including Christmas.

Certified Gearhead QKJUICEDPONY's Avatar

A jewish guy looked at me and said "Merry Christmas" this morning.
    Here for fun!

Clapped out Mustang checking in!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bu villain View Post
    I agree that no one should be punished or offended by someone saying Merry Xmas. Just as no Christian should be offended by being told "Happy Chanukah". Either way its a friendly gesture to wish someone happiness during this time of the year.

That being said, it makes more sense to use Happy Holidays (especially in a business setting). Some people celebrate holidays other than Christmas this time of year so why not use a greeting that included all holidays, including Christmas.
    Exactly. No one is telling you to forget Christmas. It is just saying don't forget the others.

its gotten to where everybody walks on eggshells to not offend someone. i have never heard of another religious holiday on december 25th. and to ej, when else is christmas celebrated? to qd, the issue over communism i guess belongs in a different forum so i will leave this alone. and to everyone else. what im trying to point out is that people are putting christianity in the backrounds now. it used to be ok when you wished someone a merry christmas, now it offends them? my point is that people are quick to say christians push their beliefs on everyone, now its wrong to say anything to do with Christ in a public place, its not acceptable to say merry christmas cuz its a christian holiday, our kids cant pray in school or even carry a bible with them. yet they still allow the jewish faith believers to wear the yomokahs and what not. since when is it ok to single out a religion and ban it. am i the only one that thinks this is getting a bit too ridiculous?

IA Domestic Alliance

my point is that people are quick to say christians push their beliefs on everyone, now its wrong to say anything to do with Christ in a public place, its not acceptable to say merry christmas cuz its a christian holiday, our kids cant pray in school or even carry a bible with them. yet they still allow the jewish faith believers to wear the yomokahs and what not. since when is it ok to single out a religion and ban it. am i the only one that thinks this is getting a bit too ridiculous?
    The hell is wrong with you? You're comparing walking around with a piece of clothing to holding a prayer book.

NO JEWISH KID WALKS AROUND WITH A TORAH TELLING THE CHRISTIAN/MULSIM/HINDU KIDS TO READ IT!

Stop making idiotic comparisons.

Kids shouldn't be allowed to pray in school unless it is private. Members of my family wanted their kids to have prayer so they sent them to a private school. Ignorant people like you can't get why the rules are the way they are. I wouldn't allow my kid to go to a school where he/she has to pray. Get it? If you want, find a school that lets them. Not everyone sees God in the "nothing else whatsoever matter" way you do.

Who is banning a religion? You really are one of those people that just looks at everyone else and forces your ways on them. That's the problem. No one is telling you to forget any holiday. Religion is personal and you want your religion to be everyone else' matter.

If you have a doubt about it, compare how many people in this forum boast about being Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist or anything else like you.

Seriously, if you like Christianity so much, why annoy non Christians with it? Not like we are gonna change. Unless our existence is what is getting to you.

About the REAL day of Christmas, why not teach it to yourself?

its gotten to where everybody walks on eggshells to not offend someone. i have never heard of another religious holiday on december 25th.
    If you are going to use a greeting for the whole season doesn't it make more sense to say Happy Holidays since Christmas is only one day and there are many other holidays during this time of the year?

it used to be ok when you wished someone a merry christmas, now it offends them? my point is that people are quick to say christians push their beliefs on everyone, now its wrong to say anything to do with Christ in a public place, its not acceptable to say merry christmas cuz its a christian holiday
    Why aren't you upset that Walmart employees don't say "Happy Chanukah"? Do you think Walmart has a problem with Jews too or do you think that Christian holidays should be treated differently than other religions?

our kids cant pray in school or even carry a bible with them. yet they still allow the jewish faith believers to wear the yomokahs and what not. since when is it ok to single out a religion and ban it. am i the only one that thinks this is getting a bit too ridiculous?
    Kids can't pray or carry a bible in school? That doesn't seem right as long as they aren't disrupting anyone or being sponsored by the school. Do you have a source for this? I've never heard of this being a problem unless a student is trying to preach to others or otherwise disrupting the learning environment.

Quote Originally Posted by EJ25RUN View Post
    I

What if they were obviously Hindu, Jewish, Muslim, Buddhist, or anything else? That's pretty low class imo.
    Ahh. It's low class of me to not want to change my views and say Happy Holidays.....but it's somehow ok for every other religion to not say "Merry Christmas"

That's pretty ignorant of you IMO.

Funny how 2 sides work isn't it.

Now, with that out of the way: I don't go out of my way to piss off any religion, I don't slander religions or piss on them like others do. But I will not change my views on saying "Merry Christmas" because some person thinks it is offensive. It is stupid for someone to gget that upset over 2 words. If they don't like them, tough shit. I have Jewish friends, I wish them Happy Hanukkah. But they, being my friends respect me enough to say "Merry Christmas" and not get stupid over those 2 small words.

Garage-Sixgun

Release the Kracken! Total_Blender's Avatar

Originally Posted by geoff
    our kids cant pray in school or even carry a bible with them. yet they still allow the jewish faith believers to wear the yomokahs and what not. since when is it ok to single out a religion and ban it. am i the only one that thinks this is getting a bit too ridiculous?

Don't the schools still have the "moment of silence" or whatever? I thought they passed that specifically so kids could have a minute to pray? And kids are probably given enough autonomy at lunch/recess that they could pray together if they wanted to. Also, there are extracurricular groups like FCA where kids can fellowship, etc etc.

The problem is not that Christian kids can't practice their religion in schools, the problem is that Christian activists are trying to make it to where ALL kids practice the Christian religion in the schools.

What EJ is trying to get at, is that the idea of Christmas is being forced down non-believers (as you Christian ppl would classify anyone who isn't a Christian), but why isn't there an awareness for (C)Hanukah, Kwaanza, Diwali, or any other religious holiday that is around this time? Why should the non-believers say "Merry Christmas" instead of happy holidays, when you probably don't have a clue about their own holidays.
    1999 Corolla CE & 1988 Pontiac Fiero

Ahh. It's low class of me to not want to change my views and say Happy Holidays.....but it's somehow ok for every other religion to not say "Merry Christmas"

That's pretty ignorant of you IMO.

Funny how 2 sides work isn't it.
    Nothing is ignorant of a person that sees a generic saying such as Happy Holidays, a saying that includes the three big holidays in December, instead of one saying that works for just Christians.

Why would another Religion say Merry Christmas to each other? It works if it is Merry Christmas from a non Christian to a Happy Hanukkah being the response from the Christian. Otherwise, it tells non Christians to conform. That's not right. Happy Holidays is saying, we acknowledge everything, not just one.

You're not turning anything funny against me because if you really see it that way, you are part of the reason these threads exist and people can't just worry about their own faith.

Look at Atheists. What should be there view on saying Marry Christmas?

edit....Did some highlighting after i read your edit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mchnhead2k5 View Post
    What EJ is trying to get at, is that the idea of Christmas is being forced down non-believers (as you Christian ppl would classify anyone who isn't a Christian), but why isn't there an awareness for (C)Hanukah, Kwaanza, Diwali, or any other religious holiday that is around this time? Why should the non-believers say "Merry Christmas" instead of happy holidays, when you probably don't have a clue about their own holidays.
    Who cares, really? If people would stop being too sensitive about everything there wouldn't be this mess. If I say Merry Christmas to a Jewish person or an African person, then I'm not saying it to offend them. Just as if they say Happy Hanukkah to me I won't be offended. Why isn't there awareness? because no one is making an attempt to make an awareness, maybe? And why is that? Too many sensitive people.

People need to stop getting hurt feelings over the pettiest of bullshit. Later, QD.

I'm with you QD about ppl being too sensitive about stuff, but at the same time would you think it's disrespectful to tell someone Merry Christmas when chances are they don't celebrate it?

Quote Originally Posted by EJ25RUN View Post
    Nothing is ignorant of a person that sees a generic saying such as Happy Holidays, a saying that includes the three big holidays in December, instead of one saying that works for just Christians.

Why would another Religion say Merry Christmas to each other? It works if it is Merry Christmas from a non Christian to a Happy Hanukkah being the response from the Christian. Otherwise, it tells non Christians to conform. That's not right. Happy Holidays is saying, we acknowledge everything, not just one.

You're not turning anything funny against me because if you really see it that way, you are part of the reason these threads exist and people can't just worry about their own faith.

Look at Atheists. What should be there view on saying Marry Christmas?

edit....Did some highlighting after i read your edit.
    WRONG. And I will tell you, and all the others why.

This all boils down to preference.

If you don't like saying Merry Christmas....Dont say it! It's THAT simple!
    If you STILL get angry about it, it is YOUR problem....NOT anyone elses.
    If someone says Happy Holidays to me, I will STILL say Merry Christmas....you know why? Because it is MY GIVEN RIGHT to say it. JUST as it is YOUR given right to say what ever it is YOU wish to say.

And I got news for you. INTELLIGENT people CAN worry about their own faith. It's the dumbasses that feel the need to bring EVERY thing they don't agree with into the light and complain, bitch, whine and moan about something so trivial as the words Merry Christmas, that are the true idiots. If you don't like it, Dont say it. Say what you want.

Because last I checked, America was FREE!. So excercise your rights to say what you want to say. I think organized religion, no matter what it is, is bullshit. it ALWAYS starts a fucking fight no matter where you go, what religion you are, what you say.....thats why more deaths are attributed to it than anything else in history. So no matter what anyone says, the religious fucktards are gonna argue about it.

If you can't understand that, then tough shit. Thats the way it is in ALL aspects of life. I say Merry Christmas simply because I grew up saying it and see NO reason to change it. No matter what you, or any religious crazy person has to say on the subject. You see, that is MY belief....just as YOU have yours. Deal with it.

Garage-Sixgun

i have never heard of another religious holiday on december 25th.
    December 25 was the birthdate of Mithra, a Pagan God... a religion that is way older than christianity, and one that christianity borrowed many holidays from simply to fit in....

but at the same time would you think it's disrespectful to tell someone Merry Christmas when chances are they don't celebrate it?
    So what are we supposed to to alleviate this? The day after Thanksgiving, everyone put patches on their shirts or jackets reading, "Hi. I celebrate________" on them?

It's not ignorant to NOT know someone else holiday background. (Not talking to you) don't take offense if I am being genuine and say Merry Christmas as a nice gesture to the holidays. If I were a cashier and liked to wish some a Merry Christmas after they're about to leave my register, I shouldn't have to ask them their religious preference first. Later, QD.

Quote Originally Posted by Hektik View Post
    December 25 was the birthdate of Mithra, a Pagan God... a religion that is way older than christianity, and one that christianity borrowed many holidays from simply to fit in....
    Exactly. They found it much easier to convert people to Christianity by not disrupting their holidays when they took over.

Garage-Sixgun

Quote Originally Posted by quickdodgeŽ View Post
    So what are we supposed to to alleviate this? The day after Thanksgiving, everyone put patches on their shirts or jackets reading, "Hi. I celebrate________" on them?

It's not ignorant to NOT know someone else holiday background. (Not talking to you) don't take offense if I am being genuine and say Merry Christmas as a nice gesture to the holidays. If I were a cashier and liked to wish some a Merry Christmas after they're about to leave my register, I shouldn't have to ask them their religious preference first. Later, QD.
    We don't need to visit Nazi Germany with ppl wearing patches again to separate themselves from society. LoL

If a brown/middle eastern person came up to your register, would you still say Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays? I work at a bar and usually say Merry Christmas b/c I know that most of my clientele are Christian. For those I do not know, I just use Happy Holidays.

Release the Kracken! Total_Blender's Avatar

Dec. 25th is the day that the sun sets the earliest in the year, also known as the winter solstice. Ancient cultures interpreted this day as death followed by rebirth. Given that ancient cultures used astronomy to tell time and to "recieve messages from the gods" Dec. 25th is a pretty common birthday for deities. I think Krishna was born on Dec. 25th too.

I think alot of people miss the true holiday of spending time with their family. All because they are so involved in what everyone else is doing and/or saying to them.. If you celebrate christmas than do so, and do it in your way who cares what the cashier lady told you at a store.. Is that going to stop the happines in my daughters when they open their gifts on christmas morning? no.. So what does it really matter.. Stop being so insulted over words, because thats all they are.

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL

We don't need to visit Nazi Germany with ppl wearing patches again to separate themselves from society. LoL
    Exactly, lolol.

If a brown/middle eastern person came up to your register, would you still say Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays? I work at a bar and usually say Merry Christmas b/c I know that most of my clientele are Christian. For those I do not know, I just use Happy Holidays.
    Well that's a tough one, too. When working for Budweiser for 8 years, you can imagine how many people of Middle Eastern descent I cam across. And do you know that well over half of them actually celebrated Christmas? You just don't know. Later, QD.

I think alot of people miss the true holiday of spending time with their family. All because they are so involved in what everyone else is doing and/or saying to them.. If you celebrate christmas than do so, and do it in your way who cares what the cashier lady told you at a store.. Is that going to stop the happines in my daughters when they open their gifts on christmas morning? no.. So what does it really matter.. Stop being so insulted over words, because thats all they are.

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL
    Right on man. I agree fully.

Everyone is WAY too sensative these days. They feel they need to champion every single cause every single second of the day. If they just sat down, shut up and worried about themselves, they wouldn't be near as stressed when truly important problems came up.

Because trust me, this debate is NOT an important problem.

Garage-Sixgun

Soo if they're just words Hektik, if i responded to ppl "the Christian god is a egotist" instead of Merry Christmas that would be okay?

QD: Celebrating Christmas and being Christian are two different things as you would know. I know plenty of brown/middle easterners who celebrate Christmas but are not Christians. That my friend is a totally different debate.

Soo if they're just words Hektik, if i responded to ppl "the Christian god is a egotist" instead of Merry Christmas that would be okay?
    Sure. Because it's your VOTED right to do so. You can say what you want about whatever you want because people voted for it, and others died defending it.

Garage-Sixgun

Right on man. I agree fully.

Everyone is WAY too sensative these days. They feel they need to champion every single cause every single second of the day. If they just sat down, shut up and worried about themselves, they wouldn't be near as stressed when truly important problems came up.

Because trust me, this debate is NOT an important problem.
    I see how it is. You can agree with Hekitk, but not me???

Yeah, well that's offensive. Merry Fudgepack Day to you, sir. Later, QD.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast