View Poll Results: Will you support the MPP

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

    80 89.89%
  • NO

    9 10.11%
Results 1 to 40 of 141

Thread: Marijuana decriminalization bill gaining support in Congress

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Norcross, GA
    Posts
    3,737
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DieselNuts
    lol, you make me laugh. You try to make it a lose lose situation for me by writing that last sentence...nice try. You smoke cigs = you lose.
    That is awesome! Maybe next time you're at the Three Legged Cowboy(A place located in midtown if you didn't know) you should tell your buddies about how cool you are because you refuse to smoke a cigarette. Oh and hey, after that tell him how fun it is for you to pound your mother in her ass while she's crying in tears and reading her bible. That'll give you GOD status for sure.
    You got me. I'm 'FTL' because I choose to smoke. Sorry I can't make you happy, Sir. I'll try harder from now on. /Sarcasm. You act like you're in a level above me and can criticize me because of something I do. Not you, not your mother, not your friend, a complete stranger. Who you know nothing about. Continue living a wonderful life with clean lungs and I'll continue inhaling tobacco.

    You're really showing me how much you don't care. Fantastic isn't it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nissangeek
    Actually, a real addiction is caused by your brain reacting to certain chemicals. Usually ones that cause the body to release endorphines(sp?) or dopamine, or that mimic the effects of them.
    Addiction is a state in which the body relies on a substance for normal functioning and develops physical dependence. Endorphins(You almost spelled it right, not bad)are endogenous opioid polypeptide compounds. They are produced by the pituitary gland and the hypothalamus in verebrates during strenuous exercise, excitement, and orgasm. They resemble the opiates in their abilities to produce analgesia and a sense of well-being. Endorphins work as 'natural fever relievers.'

    And dopamine is something completely wrong which shouldn't have even been thrown in there.
    Last edited by abandon; 08-12-2008 at 11:25 PM.

  2. #2
    sukanigadikosum DieselNuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    niggaville USA;via, Atlanta, Georgia
    Posts
    7,907
    Rep Power
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by abandon
    You got me. I'm 'FTL' because I choose to smoke. Sorry I can't make you happy, Sir. I'll try harder from now on. /Sarcasm. You act like you're in a level above me and can criticize me because of something I do. Not you, not your mother, not your friend, a complete stranger. Who you know nothing about. Continue living a wonderful life with clean lungs and I'll continue inhaling tobacco.

    You're really showing me how much you don't care. Fantastic isn't it?
    Awesome that you add bullshiit to my post again, you are getting defensive because you said that you "can quit if you want to" and I said "I've heard that before". I dont see what your problem is.

  3. #3
    Never go full retard
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Nashville
    Age
    40
    Posts
    3,258
    Rep Power
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by abandon
    Addiction is a state in which the body relies on a substance for normal functioning and develops physical dependence. Endorphins(You almost spelled it right, not bad)are endogenous opioid polypeptide compounds. They are produced by the pituitary gland and the hypothalamus in verebrates during strenuous exercise, excitement, and orgasm. They resemble the opiates in their abilities to produce analgesia and a sense of well-being. Endorphins work as 'natural fever relievers.'

    And dopamine is something completely wrong which shouldn't have even been thrown in there.
    I commend you for your dragon level wikipedia copy and paste skills.

    Chill out, I promise you that no one on here (including DiesNuts) cares if you smoke tobacco or not. You just have to realize how ridiculous of a claim it is to say that you're not addicted yet have quit multiple times (hence restarted multiple times). That is all. Let it go.




    As for the original topic, I'm kind of conflicted. Generally, yes, I do believe that it should be legalized. Like multiple people have posted, making it illegal has caused nothing but a black market to form (much like prohibition). Legalizing it, I believe, would reduce crime. As for hard drugs, they should stay illegal. The addictive properties and effects of cocaine and heroin for instance lead to irrational thinking. A junky will do anything to get their next fix. The difference between this and a hobo stealing for food (as someone mentioned earlier) is that someone who is hungry is still in their right mind. Someone who is going through heroin withdrawal is bat**** crazy. Sure a lot of money is spent fighting the flow of hard drugs in the US, but I feel that it's a noble battle.

    When comparing alcohol to cannabis, I do agree that in the short term alcohol can be more damaging. Physical and sexual violence are defintiely linked with being drunk and definitely not with being stoned. Driving under the influence of either substance is absolutely retarded so that argument against drinking is null and void.

    However, I'm a little worried about the societal and long term effects of legalization of weed. Smoking makes you absolutely worthless. This is something I wouldn't have really believed myself until visiting Amsterdam three weeks ago. I had smoked before on rare occasions, but never like that weekend. And I wouldn't be surprised if I never smoked again.

    Both substances are bad. Personally if I'm planning on abusing a substance, I'd choose alcohol any day of the week. If I'm going to be retarded, I'd at least like to be social while I am and not sit around playing Wii all day. Ultimately, however, I don't believe either substance would be the downfall of society.


    This got a little long, so cliffs:
    -Abandon needs to cool it
    -weed should be legalized (coming from someone who wouldn't smoke it)
    -Hard drugs should stay illegal
    -alcohol and weed are both bad, but not horrible

  4. #4
    Delightfully Creepy Ran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Kennesaw, Ga
    Posts
    19,885
    Rep Power
    47

    Default

    Why are people using the "black market" as an excuse to legalize something? That is the dumbest reasoning you could even come up with. There is a black market for ANYTHING that is illegal. Pot, cocaine, child pornography, stolen car parts, and anything else you can name.

    So we should just legalize everything because there's going to be a black market for it anyway right? Yeah, that makes a load of sense.

    Quote Originally Posted by DieselNuts
    I cant speak for the people in this thread, but I have friends that smoke wiid regularly that are very very intelligent. Saying that all potheads are stupid isn't an accurate statement at all. I myself have quit smoking pot just over a month ago, but I still have no problem with the people that do smoke it.
    A person can be intelligent and still be f*cking stupid. A guy with a degree from Harvard can be intelligent as all hell but, if he becomes an alcoholic, then he's still f*cking stupid.
    Last edited by Ran; 08-13-2008 at 08:59 AM.

  5. #5
    Never go full retard
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Nashville
    Age
    40
    Posts
    3,258
    Rep Power
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ran
    Why are people using the "black market" as an excuse to legalize something? That is the dumbest reasoning you could even come up with. There is a black market for ANYTHING that is illegal. Pot, cocaine, child pornography, stolen car parts, and anything else you can name.

    So we should just legalize everything because there's going to be a black market for it anyway right? Yeah, that makes a load of sense.
    You're absolutely right, of course that logic makes no sense. I just think it's a little silly (lol, "silly") to force a black market to emerge around something that isn't a serious threat to unwilling individuals or society (pot).

    A person can be intelligent and still be f*cking stupid. A guy with a degree from Harvard can be intelligent as all hell but, if he becomes an alchoholic, then he's still f*cking stupid.
    Haha, agreed.

  6. #6
    Delightfully Creepy Ran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Kennesaw, Ga
    Posts
    19,885
    Rep Power
    47

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deke
    You're absolutely right, of course that logic makes no sense. I just think it's a little silly (lol, "silly") to force a black market to emerge around something that isn't a serious threat to unwilling individuals or society (pot).
    That comes down to perspective and stance on what is bad and what isn't. Anyone can defend anything if they research and gain the proper knowledge. However, one thing being "less bad" than the rest doesn't automatically make it "not bad". I personally feel that weed is a stupid substance and should be controlled. I'm glad that the law agrees with me. I feel the same way about alcohol to be honest. I may have a drink every now and then to be social but, if it were to become illegal, I would stop drinking completely and then take great pleasure in watching alcoholics get busted.

  7. #7
    sukanigadikosum DieselNuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    niggaville USA;via, Atlanta, Georgia
    Posts
    7,907
    Rep Power
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ran
    A person can be intelligent and still be f*cking stupid. A guy with a degree from Harvard can be intelligent as all hell but, if he becomes an alchoholic, then he's still f*cking stupid.
    good point

  8. #8
    Moderator BanginJimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Hiram, GA
    Age
    47
    Posts
    7,499
    Rep Power
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ran
    Why are people using the "black market" as an excuse to legalize something? That is the dumbest reasoning you could even come up with. There is a black market for ANYTHING that is illegal. Pot, cocaine, child pornography, stolen car parts, and anything else you can name.

    So we should just legalize everything because there's going to be a black market for it anyway right? Yeah, that makes a load of sense.


    I said the same thing earlier. It seems that some people think that just because something is readily available anyways it should be legal for the govt to tax it.

    Alcohol and marijuana are 2 very different things. A bootlegger isnt going to be able to get bud light cans to package his illegal alcohol, but someone making their money off illegal weed would be able to package it as if it is a legal substance and sell it at a far lower price. For example, pack of marlboro's over in japan cost about about $1.25 when I was there, they were costing over $3.00 on base. As a result, the PX didnt sell many cigs, as the smokers would walk off base to get their cigs at less than half the price.

    requirements for this new industry:
    a. New regulatory body under the fed govt
    b. increase the budget of the ATF for smugglers
    c. increased costs of healthcare as marijuana has 10x the tar as a cig

  9. #9
    Never go full retard
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Nashville
    Age
    40
    Posts
    3,258
    Rep Power
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BanginJimmy
    Alcohol and marijuana are 2 very different things. A bootlegger isnt going to be able to get bud light cans to package his illegal alcohol, but someone making their money off illegal weed would be able to package it as if it is a legal substance and sell it at a far lower price. For example, pack of marlboro's over in japan cost about about $1.25 when I was there, they were costing over $3.00 on base. As a result, the PX didnt sell many cigs, as the smokers would walk off base to get their cigs at less than half the price.
    Sure, the average joe couldn't bootleg cans, but bottles certainly aren't hard (coming from someone who's dabbled in home brewing), and kegs wouldn't be either. And yet, I don't see any of that going on in the US. I also don't see bootleg tobacco in the US for that matter, and it's taxed out the ass.

    I'm sure there still would be some black market contingency if pot was legalized, but the fact of the matter is that it would be a lot less. The majority of people wouldn't run the the added risk of buying something illegally when they can get a product they can trust for a few dollars more. To reference Amsterdam again, no one was selling weed on the street. They wouldn't make any money because you could buy quality stuff in any coffee shop.

    PS I appreciate the intelligent debate

  10. #10
    Has a big wiener The12lber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Age
    37
    Posts
    522
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ran
    Why are people using the "black market" as an excuse to legalize something? That is the dumbest reasoning you could even come up with. There is a black market for ANYTHING that is illegal. Pot, cocaine, child pornography, stolen car parts, and anything else you can name.

    Are you seriously comparing marijuana to chop shops and people taking pictures of kids naked?

    So we should just legalize everything because there's going to be a black market for it anyway right? Yeah, that makes a load of sense.

    If they're going to do it anyway, and its not really a big deal, yeah?
    Maybe prostitution should be legal so that way prostitutes don't get beaten up by pimps and forced by organized crime into white slavery. But wait, you're one of those smart people who would make something illegal solely on principle I'm sure.

    A person can be intelligent and still be f*cking stupid. A guy with a degree from Harvard can be intelligent as all hell but, if he becomes an alcoholic, then he's still f*cking stupid.
    Alright big guy, we'll make alcohol illegal for you, too. That worked out well last time.

    Get over your narrow minded virtues and accept it. MARIJUANA IS NOT A BIG DEAL. More bad consequences find origin in its illicit nature than the consumption of the drug. A lot more. Conversely, kiddy porn and theft are just inherently bad. Not a good comparison on your part. Oh, and lets not forget the constant civil war our illegal drug money funds in Colombia.

    Oh, and the reason its illegal? Because they (Congress) lumped in hemp along with Marijuana when they made it illegal, it was a threat to their friends in the emerging synthetic textile market.

    As a side note, Cocaine is illegal because the Congress was afraid of "cocainized *******" raping white women and generally behaving poorly.
    Last edited by The12lber; 08-13-2008 at 02:08 PM.

  11. #11
    Delightfully Creepy Ran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Kennesaw, Ga
    Posts
    19,885
    Rep Power
    47

    Default

    EDIT: Actually, I'm bored so I'll elaborate a little more.

    Quote Originally Posted by The12lber
    Alright big guy, we'll make alcohol illegal for you, too. That worked out well last time.
    So you're comparing modern society and law enforcement to what it was 80 years ago? Nice.

    Quote Originally Posted by The12lber
    Oh, and lets not forget the constant civil war our illegal drug money funds in Colombia.
    Who cares about Columbia and why did you bring them up? However, since you're bringing it up. How exactly does it feel to be supporting this civil war?

    Quote Originally Posted by The12lber
    Oh, and the reason its illegal? Because they (Congress) lumped in hemp along with Marijuana when they made it illegal, it was a threat to their friends in the emerging synthetic textile market.
    On this note, I do believe that hemp should be permissible for economical purposes like textile and what-not. As an actual resource, it can be very valuable. I've stated that in older threads as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by The12lber
    As a side note, Cocaine is illegal because the Congress was afraid of "cocainized *******" raping white women and generally behaving poorly.
    So cocaine should now be legalized because it was made illegal over a supposedly racist standing?

    Quote Originally Posted by The12lber
    Get over your narrow minded virtues and accept it. MARIJUANA IS NOT A BIG DEAL.
    In your opinion. Unfortunately for you, the law is on my side. So you can sit here and try to rationalize it all you want. At the end of the day, I still win. Accept that.
    Last edited by Ran; 08-13-2008 at 03:07 PM.

  12. #12
    IA's Custom PC Junky eViLMunkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Acworth, Georgia, United States
    Age
    44
    Posts
    9,578
    Rep Power
    34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ran
    I've got one simple response to The12lber's post.

    In your opinion. Unfortunately for you, the law is on my side. So you can sit here and try to rationalize it all you want. At the end of the day, I still win. Accept that.

    But coming November you might not win, but till then... I'm still glad it's taken as not a huge deal here in MA



  13. #13
    Delightfully Creepy Ran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Kennesaw, Ga
    Posts
    19,885
    Rep Power
    47

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eViLMunkey
    But coming November you might not win, but till then...
    These guys can get their hopes up all they want. It's not going to pass and we all know it.

  14. #14
    Release the Kracken! Total_Blender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Bunny Colvin's Hamsterdam
    Age
    45
    Posts
    2,325
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ran
    I've got one simple response to The12lber's post.

    In your opinion. Unfortunately for you, the law is on my side. So you can sit here and try to rationalize it all you want. At the end of the day, I still win. Accept that.
    And at the end of the day people still get high, legal or not. Not a whole lot you can do to stop it there champ.

  15. #15
    Delightfully Creepy Ran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Kennesaw, Ga
    Posts
    19,885
    Rep Power
    47

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Total_Blender
    And at the end of the day people still get high, legal or not. Not a whole lot you can do to stop it there champ.
    Actually I had the pleasure of making an anonymous phone call that busted a 4/20 party near my residence. It was quite an enjoyable evening.

  16. #16
    Curiously Cynical DrivenMind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Atlanta
    Age
    40
    Posts
    4,191
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ran
    In your opinion. Unfortunately for you, the law is on my side. So you can sit here and try to rationalize it all you want. At the end of the day, I still win. Accept that.
    The law also states that there should be a 55 mile per hour speed limit on most of our highways. Clearly just because something is "law" doesn't mean it is, or should be obeyed. When was the last time you saw someone doing 55 on an interstate highway within 40 miles of Atlanta?

  17. #17
    Delightfully Creepy Ran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Kennesaw, Ga
    Posts
    19,885
    Rep Power
    47

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrivenMind
    The law also states that there should be a 55 mile per hour speed limit on most of our highways. Clearly just because something is "law" doesn't mean it is, or should be obeyed. When was the last time you saw someone doing 55 on an interstate highway within 40 miles of Atlanta?
    So? I'll drive 69 in a 55. I'll break it down like this though:

    Q) Will I get a ticket for driving 65-69 in a 55 zone?
    A) Probably not, but legally I can be pulled over and fined.

    Q) Does general acceptance make it okay for me to speed?
    A) Legally, no. If I get pulled over then I'll accept my ticket. I won't be happy about it, but I'll pay it because I'm still wrong.

    Q) Am I going to b*tch about the speed limit?
    A) Unlike the people in this thread complaining about pot, no I'm not. I accept the law and keep on moving.

    Q) If someone called the police and said I was doing 68 in a 55 and I get pulled over, would that be wrong?
    A) Can't blame the person that called because I was the one speeding. Sucks for me, but oh well.


  18. #18
    Has a big wiener The12lber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Age
    37
    Posts
    522
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ran
    EDIT: Actually, I'm bored so I'll elaborate a little more.

    So you're comparing modern society and law enforcement to what it was 80 years ago? Nice.

    Alright, I'm going to break you in on a big secret.

    SINCE THE TIME WHEN THE VERY FIRST STATUTES WERE ENACTED AND GOVERNMENTS PUT IN PLACE, BLACK MARKETS AND CRIMINAL UNDERWORLDS HAVE EXISTED TO SUPPLY EVERY ILLEGAL GOOD OR SERVICE AS LONG IT IS IN DEMAND. THE CRIMINAL UNDERWORLD IN QUESTION WILL USE PART OF ITS PROFITS AS OPERATIVE COSTS TO BUY LAW ENFORCEMENT AND GOVERNMENT.

    Look, its still happening now with illicit drugs. Its exactly the same situation as prohibition. You are f*cking dumb for not catching onto this.

    Who cares about Columbia and why did you bring them up? However, since you're bringing it up. How exactly does it feel to be supporting this civil war?

    I care because they're people too and our bogus war on drugs has put their country in a persistent state of civil war for the better part of 40 years. Also, I never said I was buying drugs and supporting their civil war. Another logical fallacy, unsurprising from someone as unintelligent as yourself.

    On this note, I do believe that hemp should be permissible for economical purposes like textile and what-not. As an actual resource, it can be very valuable. I've stated that in older threads as well.

    So cocaine should now be legalized because it was made illegal over a supposedly racist standing?

    Supposedly racist? Haha, haha, hahahaha. Oh my, there's not too many ways you can spin the notion of Congress being afraid of "cocainized n*ggers" raping white women into not being racist.

    In your opinion.

    Have you ever done any drugs to form a good opinion on whether or not its a big deal? I'm going to venture the guess, no.

    Unfortunately for you, the law is on my side. So you can sit here and try to rationalize it all you want. At the end of the day, I still win. Accept that.
    Yeah, but you're still one hell of a dumb mother****er. I'm actually fairly shocked that you assumed just because I support decriminalization and regulation of drug sales, I am a drug purchaser, indirectly funding guerilla groups and drug cartels in South America. You don't have to have a stake in an issue to recognize idiocy.

    For the record, you didn't win ****. If supporting laws, statutes, etc, that were in place decades before your birth and you had nothing to do with the enactment of is considered winning, I win for actually supporting The Constitution of the United States (which all laws are mandated to be in agreement with), something drug prohibition pisses on.
    Last edited by The12lber; 08-14-2008 at 03:27 AM.

  19. #19
    sukanigadikosum DieselNuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    niggaville USA;via, Atlanta, Georgia
    Posts
    7,907
    Rep Power
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deke
    I commend you for your dragon level wikipedia copy and paste skills.

    Chill out, I promise you that no one on here (including DiesNuts) cares if you smoke tobacco or not. You just have to realize how ridiculous of a claim it is to say that you're not addicted yet have quit multiple times (hence restarted multiple times). That is all. Let it go.




    As for the original topic, I'm kind of conflicted. Generally, yes, I do believe that it should be legalized. Like multiple people have posted, making it illegal has caused nothing but a black market to form (much like prohibition). Legalizing it, I believe, would reduce crime. As for hard drugs, they should stay illegal. The addictive properties and effects of cocaine and heroin for instance lead to irrational thinking. A junky will do anything to get their next fix. The difference between this and a hobo stealing for food (as someone mentioned earlier) is that someone who is hungry is still in their right mind. Someone who is going through heroin withdrawal is bat**** crazy. Sure a lot of money is spent fighting the flow of hard drugs in the US, but I feel that it's a noble battle.

    When comparing alcohol to cannabis, I do agree that in the short term alcohol can be more damaging. Physical and sexual violence are defintiely linked with being drunk and definitely not with being stoned. Driving under the influence of either substance is absolutely retarded so that argument against drinking is null and void.

    However, I'm a little worried about the societal and long term effects of legalization of weed. Smoking makes you absolutely worthless. This is something I wouldn't have really believed myself until visiting Amsterdam three weeks ago. I had smoked before on rare occasions, but never like that weekend. And I wouldn't be surprised if I never smoked again.

    Both substances are bad. Personally if I'm planning on abusing a substance, I'd choose alcohol any day of the week. If I'm going to be retarded, I'd at least like to be social while I am and not sit around playing Wii all day. Ultimately, however, I don't believe either substance would be the downfall of society.


    This got a little long, so cliffs:
    -Abondon needs to cool it
    -weed should be legalized (coming from someone who wouldn't smoke it)
    -Hard drugs should stay illegal
    -alcohol and weed are both bad, but not horrible
    Quoted for the mother fuking truth. Very well said

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
ImportAtlanta is a community of gearheads and car enthusiasts. It does not matter what kind of car or bike you drive, IA is an open community for any gearhead. Whether you're looking for advice on a performance build or posting your wheels for sale, you're welcome here!
Announcement
Welcome back to ImportAtlanta. We are currently undergoing many changes, so please report any issues you encounter with the site using the 'Contact Us' button below. Thank you!