Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Martial Arts (All Types Welcome)

IA Member

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.MuayThai
    The ground is your world? Thats kinda sad. . . I think everyone should do a little stand up. And Judo just isn't throwing, Obviously you don't know much about judo. There is a ton of ground submissions: ex. arm bars, leg locks, head locks, wrist locks, and ankle locks. Those are just a few of some really basic locks.
    But i do have to say that if you are 100% ground you aren't going to do so good. . . what if you come across a guy that is really good with his stand up? You will lose, Stand up game is more effective than wrestling on the ground. If he is a smart stand up fighter he will throw lots of quick jabs and low kicks, until you go for the shot and take an elbow to the back of the head or a simple knee to the face or sternum? I mean there are tons of ways to prevent being taken to the ground. I know a good bit of them.
    Not trying to get into a pissing contest with you but everyone is going to prefer their style. However it is real easy for boxers, kickboxers etc... to talk about not getting taken down when they don't have to worry about it. On the other hand in all forms of real NHB fighting (Pride,UFC,WEC) how often do you really see a fight not go to the ground? I mean sometimes people luck up and hit someone on the botton but how often.

As for me my main thing is BJJ however I train stand up as well. We have Golden Glove boxers at my gym as well as I train my stand up with Kevin Brooks who has held belts in boxing, muay thai, shedokan etc... One of the best fighters in the southeast. Not trying to say that I'm the badest ass around as I'm not but I'm trying. Come and visit my gym sometime. I think that you will find it's alot harder not to be taken down then you think. (I'm not being a jerk here. We love to cross train with people from other back grounds)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 99WS6
    Not trying to get into a pissing contest with you but everyone is going to prefer their style. However it is real easy for boxers, kickboxers etc... to talk about not getting taken down when they don't have to worry about it. On the other hand in all forms of real NHB fighting (Pride,UFC,WEC) how often do you really see a fight not go to the ground? I mean sometimes people luck up and hit someone on the botton but how often.

As for me my main thing is BJJ however I train stand up as well. We have Golden Glove boxers at my gym as well as I train my stand up with Kevin Brooks who has held belts in boxing, muay thai, shedokan etc... One of the best fighters in the southeast. Not trying to say that I'm the badest ass around as I'm not but I'm trying. Come and visit my gym sometime. I think that you will find it's alot harder not to be taken down then you think. (I'm not being a jerk here. We love to cross train with people from other back grounds)

what gym where?

and yes, preventing a takedown is HARD.

Keep in mind. Im learning Judo. It's as much about preventing a takedown as it is performing one! Im not saying you aren't going to get me down, Im saying Im going to do damage to you before i go down. Then the karate back ground comes in as well as the judo. There are tons of submissions judo teaches. Im not saying BJJ is useless, not once have i said that.
    I plan on training BJJ once i get some Judo under my belt! Im just taking planned steps towards my fighting career. I haven't been training on the ground lately because I have a really important Muay Thai tournament coming up and i have to leave the country. But when i get back I will jump back into Judo, and soon BJJ. Im thinking of the knuckle up in D-ville it's really close to my house and not expensive at all!

Keep in mind. Im learning Judo. It's as much about preventing a takedown as it is performing one! Im not saying you aren't going to get me down, Im saying Im going to do damage to you before i go down. Then the karate back ground comes in as well as the judo. There are tons of submissions judo teaches. Im not saying BJJ is useless, not once have i said that.
    I plan on training BJJ once i get some Judo under my belt! Im just taking planned steps towards my fighting career. I haven't been training on the ground lately because I have a really important Muay Thai tournament coming up and i have to leave the country. But when i get back I will jump back into Judo, and soon BJJ. Im thinking of the knuckle up in D-ville it's really close to my house and not expensive at all!

Yes sir, you do have to be training a lot! I hope you aren't slacking! That would be bad. Are you good to make it on the 9th the flight leaves at 6am and remember they are 23 hours a head of us. Are you still bringing Ashley? We have a guy coming in soon that is a Aki Ju-Jitsu master. Not this BJJ stuff. Don't get my wrong, BJJ is ok but Aki Ju-Jitsu is much better! It's one of the most brutal forms out there.

Banned

We have tons of guys who trained JUDO come into the Alliance gym and they usually get roasted, real fast. For example a guy who had trained for 4 years in judo came into the gym and i had only been there training for a month, i took him ou t NO problem with strictly bjj moves.. he was worthless trying to take me down, and he had preschool submission moves. Maybe thats all judo or maybe it's just the way we train at Alliance, but i see Judo as a big joke.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MTA_Rep
    Yes sir, you do have to be training a lot! I hope you aren't slacking! That would be bad. Are you good to make it on the 9th the flight leaves at 6am and remember they are 23 hours a head of us. Are you still bringing Ashley? We have a guy coming in soon that is a Aki Ju-Jitsu master. Not this BJJ stuff. Don't get my wrong, BJJ is ok but Aki Ju-Jitsu is much better! It's one of the most brutal forms out there.

wrong, bjj is the most effective ground martial art period. it's been proven over and over.

Quote Originally Posted by kayfuNk
    We have tons of guys who trained JUDO come into the Alliance gym and they usually get roasted, real fast. For example a guy who had trained for 4 years in judo came into the gym and i had only been there training for a month, i took him ou t NO problem with strictly bjj moves.. he was worthless trying to take me down, and he had preschool submission moves. Maybe thats all judo or maybe it's just the way we train at Alliance, but i see Judo as a big joke.

Well you can't judge an entire style on one or two people. As a fighter you should know that. It's the person more than the fighting style! They both play a factor but i also know that it's not a useless martial arts by any stretch! I will soon be learning Aki Ju-jitsu according to my Sponsor! Check it out. It's bad ass. I might drop Judo for it! What do you think?

wrong, bjj is the most effective ground martial art period. it's been proven over and over.
    BJJ is a effective style for a sanctioned fight. But Aki Ju-Jitsu is one of the ones you can't use in a sanctioned fight. It more for real time self defense! Not sanctioned fighting!

IA Member

Honestly with you having a good striking back ground in Muay Thai I wouldn't wasit my time with Judo and go strait to BJJ which is a better moddified form of Aki -jitsu. Every school is different but we work on our takedowns alot.

To the guy asking about my gym it's
    Hardknox
    225 Technology Pkwy
    McDonough GA 30253

Banned

BJJ is a effective style for a sanctioned fight. But Aki Ju-Jitsu is one of the ones you can't use in a sanctioned fight. It more for real time self defense! Not sanctioned fighting!
    im aware, which is why you shouldn't learn it as a sanctioned fighter, then you have to break bad habbits.

to reply to your previous post i didnt judge this off 1 or 2 people, i judged it off about 20 or more, i've happened to roll with only a few, but even the judo masters have no shot against a mid level BJJ fighter.

im aware, which is why you shouldn't learn it as a sanctioned fighter, then you have to break bad habbits.

to reply to your previous post i didnt judge this off 1 or 2 people, i judged it off about 20 or more, i've happened to roll with only a few, but even the judo masters have no shot against a mid level BJJ fighter.

Your right that BJJ Is better on the ground because Judo just isn't a ground type style. True Judo is meditating, Some ground game, controlling pain, and some stand up. Most of the time when they train they train on preparing to take pain with out a flinch.
    Right now my Karate instructor is teaching me to not feel pain at all. He has this theory that is so far correct. I will let you guys know what it is.

Interwebs terrorist Friggintitsman's Avatar

Been taking Muay Thai and kickboxing for a while. I was into BJJ, but there are too many TUF'ers at my gym pissing me off. So I train that when I can. I am also part of the Atlanta Kali Group which is my favorite of the arts. The people I hang out with know several various arts. I learn specific techniques from each and incorporate them into my own. I don't have any belts nor do I have the desire to get them. Nor do I have the desire to fight pro. I train for fun and exercise.
    Last edited by soulassassin; 08-17-2007 at 10:30 PM.
    I thrive on caffineand HATE

^^^ Cool bro! I haven't seen that sig in a longtime!

anybody know of a site with all the local listings? maybe of jiu jitsu, or muay thai

go to www.knuckleupmma.com and see if you can find a Knuckleup near you
    Lexus GS300

^thanks. lolz, sound like a movie preview....

^^^ Cool bro! I haven't seen that sig in a longtime!
    I don't know if someone else had it, but if you are referring to me. I haven't been on here much. Most of the people on IA piss me off. I usually hang out on sherdog.net.

Quote Originally Posted by SL33P3R
    go to www.knuckleupmma.com and see if you can find a Knuckleup near you
    I train at sandy springs

soon to be fast

the ongoing fight about bjj and muay thai still lives x]

anyways kayfunk i don't think you understand that im not into sport fighting. i'm talking about if i get around on the streets against a big guy. you gotta remember, im 5'6 125lb...people like to try to pick on me and usually they try to throw me. and those wannabe thugs usually dont know anything. i know where i stand as a ring fighter. i already said i can't take a punch . you're misinterpreting.

as for alliance i really wanna start training their. i think it was like 180 for muay thai n bjj a month, plus i'll have a friend doing bjj already. but college is starting, so poo to money and spare time. you guys talk about fighting, i just wanna get back in shape x]

IA Member

i train in ninjutsu.
    lucas-the-owl

Quote Originally Posted by spooned-out
    i train in ninjutsu.

Really... Is that so...

You "ninjas" aren't what we perceive now-a-days. A "ninja" was nothing more than a average thief... Im not kidding. Do your research. the "ninja" we know today was put together by hollywood and thrown out of proportion. But of course between the battle of "ninjas" and pirates i would still pick the ninja. the "ninja" is a lot cooler.

Where do you train? And if you don't then where did you train?

There is this place in stockbridge i believe that teaches "ninjutsu" and they clam they trained some of the worlds most deadly fighters... they didn't name any. And they wouldn't let me come and try a class... GAY! So my Muay Thai sponsor called them and asked to set up a fight with one of there 155 pounders. So we did! I killed him! NO JOKE! He was a little bitch that couldn't take a hit or throw one for his life! He was one of there "better" fighters... I can't stand posers!

Quote Originally Posted by 00_Rusty™
    lol yeah I thought about it. back in high school I wrestled and freestyle wrestled, and played football. Now i am just lazy as heck. I mean I have had my share of fights and I still know TKD or what parts i did learn. I have had to use it before. Street Fights FTW

Lol X2!!! haha

LOL it has been forever since I have taken any classes, or spared with anyone.

I took a bit of Thai Kwon Do, when I was like 13. I have been wanting to get back into it, but cant seem to find a place I like
    grand prix.....

Well if any of you take Jiu Jitsu there are some tournaments coming up real soon...

Not really... Im thinking of learning Ju-Jitsu.

Not really... Im thinking of learning Ju-Jitsu.

Before you go and try to learn, learn how to spell it first
    Lexus GS300

Quote Originally Posted by SL33P3R
    Before you go and try to learn, learn how to spell it first

yeah your right... Jew-Shit-su right? Or is that just the definition?

yeah your right... Jew-Shit-su right? Or is that just the definition?
    Remember

They can just keep telling them selves that...

Im hoping to start training at Alpha Fighting Systems...There I will do BJJ and Muay Thai
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. KiDD
    i dont know, fonzy can get gangsta, he drives a impala. hes a wife beater and a shotgun away from being Scarface

I made it to black belt, even went to the junior Olympics. Quit shortly after. Wish I hadnt.

Quote Originally Posted by anothaRRR
    Im hoping to start training at Alpha Fighting Systems...There I will do BJJ and Muay Thai
    Yeah man Alpha is a bad ass place! I have a few buddies that workout there. Let me know when you start.

Yeah man Alpha is a bad ass place! I have a few buddies that workout there. Let me know when you start.
    Yeah thats what I hear, I think they just got a full size cage in there...I seen Scott(the owner) fight last week....
    i dont know, fonzy can get gangsta, he drives a impala. hes a wife beater and a shotgun away from being Scarface

Where's Alpha at??
    Quality Perfomance and Fabrication!!

Quote Originally Posted by BLK JDM
    Where's Alpha at??
    Its in Hiram, GA...Pass six flags....

Yeah its like... 20 minutes from me.. Im in D-ville.

So how many kok blokin ninjaz do we have in out midst?

i made it to black belt in tae kwang do and hopkido but i loved ju jitzu :please forgive spelling:

Ha its alright it just means ur not doing it lol... Being doin BJJ no gi for a yr now.... roll at knuckle up in Sandy Springs and love every class... JIU JITSU!!!!

boosted!?!?

just started kick boxing at knuckle up....havent "worked out" in a couple years...
    that shit whoops my ass....definitely a good work out though....
    Where is life taking you? And how FAST?!?!?

Well, I just started back up training. Got the OK from my DR and Physical therapist. Ankle should hold up well they said, but still to take it slow so right now I'm working mostly on cardio, and a little weight gaining. lol weird mix, but it's coming out well. Its sorta hard, because i don't have a workout buddy out here at ga state,

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast