Thread: Desktop/ Laptop Decision

Default Desktop/ Laptop Decision

So Im faced with a small decision. I dont like having so many computers. Im wanting to consolidate into one machine for everything. Ive got a buyer for my current laptop and my desktop already.

My question is. Ive got around 1000 to work with on a replacement system. My old desktop was an AMD64 3500+ 2GB RAM+ Nvidia GEForce 7600GTOC etc etc etc. Good system, but the more graphical work Im doing and bulk raw processing it slows down to a drag.

Around this price range, and I honestly dont want to go over that. I need to invest in either a fast laptop or desktop.

Ideas? I dont want to order online. Id like to stick with what is in the stores right now. Building a PC was an option, but Id rather not.

Well dont get a laptop if you want a fast system and you dont want to spend alot. A desktop would be the best, its easier to fix or upgrade. I bought my laptop from Circuit City, I got alot of good rebates and got like half my money back. I have Chris's old desktop which is a great computer just not good enough for him. He gave it to me cause its easier to play games on a Desktop sp thats another advantage of having a desktop. I think building a desktop is a better idea though cause you can get exactly what you want. I would give you some links of computers in stores, but I am at work so I cant get on alot of sites. Anyways long story short go with a desktop and build it. hope I didnt say all that for no reason its just my opinion

Senior Member | IA Veteran Kyle's Avatar

I say desktop.

I am perfectly happy with just a laptop, but then again I take my computer everywhere, and I don't enjoy sitting at desks all day. For me a laptop was the logical decision.

For you I imagine you use it a lot for long periods of time editting photos, etc. I doubt you would want to type on a laptop all day. Plus with desktops you get more speed and memory for your money.
    ***Lotus Elise***

BlackWatchRacing
    /Sector111/Larini Exhausts/Difflow Diffusers/Classic Livery of Atlanta Paint/APR Performance

Quote Originally Posted by E36slide View Post
    I may not be as book savey as the next guy but i posses a vast knowledge based street smarts.

fine dont reply to my PM biotch....imma puke on u thursday, u'll be at the V

for what you need i'd say desktop, but i've got a laptop and a desktop and I find myself using the laptop most of the time

the laptop has no problem running photoshop cs2 and whatever else i throw at it, for a laptop i'd recommend hp

iMAC intel core 2 duo
    www.MSSRACING.com - 99 Civic CX - Best ET: 9.53 / Best MPH: 160 - Competition Clutch - Arias Pistons - Coatings M.D. - Mahle-Clevite - ebtec - AHobbs Racing - JKOBD - TDC Performance
    Daily D: 2007 Dodge 2500 MEGA CAB, Cummins Turbo Diesel

For serious graphics work you want a desktop.

How is the Athlon X2 5000+ ? The one Im thinking about getting has that processor.

Official Gator Hater Lucky DAWG's Avatar

get a mac book
    2005 Ford F-150 FX4 Supercrew

Sorry I dont want a Macintosh.

it all depends what your gonna use it for...if you are on the go a lot..get a laptop...if u can stay and sitdown and use it..get a desktop