Thread: 1981 TE72

IA Member

Default 1981 TE72

Just a few pics of my swap , Im throwing a ford 2.3T and t-5 into my TE72 Sedan.im about 30-40% done right now I have to wait till the 15th or so to get the front sump oil pan I need to clear the engine crossmember. The trans seems like it is going to line up just fine , maybe a quick offset of the trans. crossmember will do the trick. I already have 42 lb injectors and a megasquirt waiting on the engine to be in the car and ready to run.
    -dscf1567-jpg
    -dscf1568-jpg
    -dscf1569-jpg
    -dscf1570-jpg
    -dscf1571-jpg

Senior Member | IA Veteran quickdodgeŽ's Avatar

RIP

Later, QD.
    FOR MORE INFO, CLICK THE PIC!!!

Why the Ford 2.3?

IA Member

RIP ???? The 2.3 because I had the engine sitting around , and I have had a lightly modded 3T-C before. It is so much easier to find transmissions more than capable of holding higher power levels for the 2.3 than for many of the Toyota motors, also its not something I have seen done before. The 2.3 T is more than capable of making good power on factory internals with simple bolt ons with many different configurations that could be done for what you really want to do with the car.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcorolla View Post
    RIP ????
    Rest In Peace. Later, QD.

IA Member

There is a jamican guy in covington that has one, Its supposed to be pretty fast, I have never seen it running but its good idea, although transmissions to hold up to 3tc's are pretty easy to come accross. And a "mild modded" 3tc could run with a stock 2.3 any day of the week. This is coming from someone who has worked on both. But no negitive from me, good luck with the swap, dont let the clutch cable/ hydro converson become problematic, and If you want or need any real head work or intake work Miles with the 2.3 swapped spitfire is bringing a head here for a car. SoI can find out if he has any other nice heads ready to go. He also make really nice turbo manifolds as well!

Senior Member | IA Veteran Catnip's Avatar

Hell yes. I love the 2.3t motor. Good swap. Make sure your injector o-rings and spark plug wires are in good shape... lol
    '92 C2500 6.5 Turbo Diesel | '96 240sx

IA Member

QD I was actually asking why you would say that? I already have an idea how to get the clutch done. The 3tc I had was running dome tops (CR unknown) weber 32/36 headers and full exhaust. Thanks for the info on the heads and manifolds. In the 3100lb cougar this engine was running mid to high 15 second passes. Total investment when im done will be around the $3000 range and that includes the purchase price of the car. Compare that to a 3T-C efi turbo build.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcorolla View Post
    QD I was actually asking why you would say that?
    Oh, lolol. I'm a purist, man, that's all. No harm, no foul. Later, QD.

IA Member

Yeah man fair enough , and yes I will be changing the injectors and the plug wires shortly not only for peace of mind but for performance gains when i swap to the megasquirt.