Thread: old school carbs

Default old school carbs

There is alot of talk about useing bike carbs on cars instead of webbers solex and other type carbs.What will have a better respound
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -honda_itb-jpg   -16v-1-8-keihin-41mm-jpg   -gedc0197-jpg   -511404_2_full-jpg   -fcr_carbutetors-jpg  

I need new tires

That last one is ridiculous. I don't know of any engine/engine bay combo that would fit into.

You can use bike carbs just like ppl use bike ITB's for custom setups. I am running bike carbs on my 4age in my 86 Corolla. You can find different size jets and rebuild parts online for most bike carbs. Doing the calculations and finding out exactly what size you need for your application is probably the hardest part, and tuning them. I'm sure that an actual kit made for a certain application would flow slightly better than a custom kit made from bike carbs, so response would most likely be better. It is not as easy as it looks though. You can't just slap any set of bike carbs on any engine you want. You have to determine what size throats you need first, then determine the jetting, pick what length you want your runners to be, what grit you want to finish the inside of the runners with, what fuel pressure you will need to run etc. Most bike carbs are also gravity fed gas, which isn't really feasible on most cars. A small electric inline pump with a regulator and gauge set at about 2-5 psi is usually fine though. But, you can save alot of money if you do alot of research.

Quote Originally Posted by SiRed94
    That last one is ridiculous. I don't know of any engine/engine bay combo that would fit into.
    Maybe no Honda engine bay, but it will easily go into old school engine bays.

Garage-Sixgun
    If you're gonna do it, overdo it.

Dirty Octopus Photography. Magic with a shutter!

I want a Weber for my Accord.
    "Damn, Its Tyler"
    RaceReadyDevelopments

Quote Originally Posted by Glides
    Maybe no Honda engine bay, but it will easily go into old school engine bays.
    Yeah if you consider cutting a gigantic hole in your shock tower easy then sure. I had old school non-Honda bays on my mind when I made that statement. That shit is nearly a ft. and a half long. Maybe if the runners were angled upwards from the flange.

Default sidedraft

Yep well i just got two 4age for free one looks in very good conditions.

What carbs will be good for a 4age
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -1984%20ae86-c-jpg   -4agewitbkh-jpg  
    Last edited by olivertwist; 07-13-2009 at 10:29 PM. Reason: spelling
    I need new tires

Default more

ae92 itbs
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -2206250_14_full-jpg   -ae92%20engine2-jpg   -allan%20marasigan%20fr%205-jpg  
    I need new tires

Certified Gearhead

itbs came on the ae101 and ae111 20v 4ag and are not carbs, webers would be a good choice though

Ok, this might be a retarded question, but looking at the pics the OP posted, I don't think any of those are bike carbs. It looks to me like they are all throttle bodies since it appears as though the fuel delivery is divorced from the air metering. I haven't ever seen a carb that didn't have jet that weren't in the throats.

I'd also agree with a lot of what SiRed94 said above, and add that using a bike carb is also liekly to be much less expensive than a comparable side draft or multiple throat down draft carb setup. For example, the last time I checked a triple Weber 40DCOE setup for something like an early Z was a $1200+ expense. A bike carb setup capable of flowing the same air and fuel should cost much, much less.

i have some Mikuni's! i will post pics later
    Peek-a-boo mofucka what now?!

Senior Member | IA Veteran Elbow's Avatar

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH nothing sexier then a well done NA engine bay.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by driftjunior
    i have some Mikuni's! i will post pics later
    I haven't seen Mikuni's in a while. If anyone got pics of Dellorto's then your really Old school.

heres how mine sits right now. this is my Mikuni carbs off of a 99 Yamaha R1... they're down draft so it has to be angled up to level the floats inside the carbs. the only thing that bothers me is that i dont think it has a fuel return line...feel free to correct me.

Certified Gearhead

if it doesnt have a return line just put on a fuel pressure regulator that has a return

FNG

Crappy, old, dirty pic, but here are my Mikunis.

WTB: B13 SE-R, PM me

^^nice Z. after i get my corolla on the road, im gonna start looking for a Z.
    ...anyways, i looked at some forums and it looks like the Yamaha R1 carbs dont have any fuel return lines. some people said in the forum that the only line u have to connect is the fuel inlet(IN) and forget any other lines.