Thread: fighting a bullshit speeding ticket.

Default fighting a bullshit speeding ticket.

So a quarter mile before the entrance to silver dollar I see blue lights in front of me. I pull over and he gets behind me. Ok, so maybe I match a stolen vehicle and he's running my plates. He walks up "I got you going 61 in a 40" Everyone in the car was DA FUCK! This is a diesel Jeep BTW, not the fastest thing on the planet. "you have the right to have the radar calibrated" "ok" few minutes later "I calibrated the radar, here is where to pay. this is your court date. sign here"

Now there's a few problems.
    We weren't going a hair over 55. My buddy behind me confirms 53-54
    I was in the 50 zone when I saw the lights, If he can prove that he got me while still in the 40, what are my chances of still getting it dropped?

I know small city cops nit pick every bullshit, but as a first time offender what leeway does this buy me? What about lack of signs and assuming a 55mph speed limit on a 4 lane road?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -mamapp-jpg  

Reynolds is a kangaroo court. You will be found guilty - I've talked to the judges down there and off the record, they admit that they will always take the word of the cop over yours. They have to work with them everyday, and they only have to see you once.

Where your red arrow is located - that is 30mph.
    "Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." - Steve McQueen

Of course your buddies will vouch for your speed. I can also imagine that a diesel Jeep will do 61. You probably got caught up in the moment with being excited that Import Showdown was happening and fell into a speed trap.....while speeding. Just pay the fine and slow down next time.

21 over is going to suck. Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Echonova View Post
    Bitches love bacon.

Senior Member | IA Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by ed1380 View Post
    So a quarter mile before the entrance to silver dollar I see blue lights in front of me. I pull over and he gets behind me. Ok, so maybe I match a stolen vehicle and he's running my plates. He walks up "I got you going 61 in a 40" Everyone in the car was DA FUCK! This is a diesel Jeep BTW, not the fastest thing on the planet. "you have the right to have the radar calibrated" "ok" few minutes later "I calibrated the radar, here is where to pay. this is your court date. sign here"

Now there's a few problems.
    We weren't going a hair over 55. My buddy behind me confirms 53-54
    I was in the 50 zone when I saw the lights, If he can prove that he got me while still in the 40, what are my chances of still getting it dropped?

I know small city cops nit pick every bullshit, but as a first time offender what leeway does this buy me? What about lack of signs and assuming a 55mph speed limit on a 4 lane road?

radar? well that isn't going to lie I have seen and work with these new radars and they are pretty damn sweet.

Nolo is in your future and take a driving defensive course before your court date

SLOW down

Stop using this a jeep diesel it's not fast crap,every car on the road will do 70 including the uhauls that are govern at 70
    Loving life

The advice in here is funny. OP- go to the serious discussion section and look through a thread titled "Damn, a speeding ticket"...and read it carefully.

As much we ALL hate getting a ticket, 99% of the time we are at fault. There are times when an officer is wrong, and sometimes they are very aware of it but do not care. This is the great thing about our legal system- you can go in and give your side of the event and even be found not guilty. Be aware, the date on your ticket is only arraignment, not a trial date. Don't get the idea that the officer has to be there on that date. The trial process takes much more than 30 days.

In court, it's not about proving your innocence...it's about disproving the officers story. Do not bother with the "I wasn't doing XYZ" or "I this" and "I that". Chip away at the officers side- "officer so-and-so was sitting xxxx feet into a 40mph zone, xxxx feet away from the 50 zone. He could not properly judge the distance because xxxx", or "the officer was directing his radar gun into a group of cars of which there were several vehicles in the left lane traveling at a higher rate of speed than the vehicle in question". Those are the type of arguments you use...do not bother with sounding like a petulant child bitching the "I ain't do nut'n" crap that they hear day-in and day-out.

Given your display of education and opinion in the original post, you probably won't take my advice lol. You post a diagram but don't explain it and you get defensive right off the bat at the situation. Im sure someone will really understand/use the above advice and know how to, it takes experience to know how to deal with a court date. In your case OP, I'd go plead NOLO and pay the fine.
    02' Miata

DYLAN DYLAN DYLAN DYLAN!1 Black R's Avatar

OP,

Read my advice threads I've posted here.

I recently got off for doing 30 over (85 in a 55) by paying $25 in court costs.

I've also had every speeding charge I've ever incurred reduced or dropped.

I've even gotten out of a street racing ticket before.

Quote Originally Posted by Tasuki_Civic
    i woke up to the feeling of someone cutting my clothes from my pants to my bra. all in one cut

So a quarter mile before the entrance...

Your fucked!........point, blank, period

AFA HOLLYWOOD PREMIER LEAGUE EST. 1998

Damn. That is literally all I can add to this

Quote Originally Posted by C230K View Post
    Your fucked!........point, blank, period
    Here in 'Merica, you don't have to spell out "period". You can just put a "."
    Bitches love bacon.

Lol. Bacon rules "."
    '82 TE72 SR5 Sport Coupe
    3tc

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    Here in 'Merica, you don't have to spell out "period". You can just put a "."
    "."
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -merica-bacon-png  

AFA HOLLYWOOD PREMIER LEAGUE EST. 1998

Senior Member | IA Veteran quickdodge®'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JaBlah View Post
    every car on the road will do 70 including the uhauls that are govern at 70
    Not true.

At all.
    FOR MORE INFO, CLICK THE PIC!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Doppelgänger View Post
    The advice in here is funny. OP- go to the serious discussion section and look through a thread titled "Damn, a speeding ticket"...and read it carefully.

As much we ALL hate getting a ticket, 99% of the time we are at fault. There are times when an officer is wrong, and sometimes they are very aware of it but do not care. This is the great thing about our legal system- you can go in and give your side of the event and even be found not guilty. Be aware, the date on your ticket is only arraignment, not a trial date. Don't get the idea that the officer has to be there on that date. The trial process takes much more than 30 days.

In court, it's not about proving your innocence...it's about disproving the officers story. Do not bother with the "I wasn't doing XYZ" or "I this" and "I that". Chip away at the officers side- "officer so-and-so was sitting xxxx feet into a 40mph zone, xxxx feet away from the 50 zone. He could not properly judge the distance because xxxx", or "the officer was directing his radar gun into a group of cars of which there were several vehicles in the left lane traveling at a higher rate of speed than the vehicle in question". Those are the type of arguments you use...do not bother with sounding like a petulant child bitching the "I ain't do nut'n" crap that they hear day-in and day-out.

Given your display of education and opinion in the original post, you probably won't take my advice lol. You post a diagram but don't explain it and you get defensive right off the bat at the situation. Im sure someone will really understand/use the above advice and know how to, it takes experience to know how to deal with a court date. In your case OP, I'd go plead NOLO and pay the fine.
    This is the exactly what I'm looking for. I've never been in court and do not know what approach is best. I hope he doesn't show up and it just gets dropped.

This is what I've come up with:
    Have the officer locate on the map my location where I was tagged. If it's within the 50mph zone then I bring up the point of- officer cited me for speeding in a 40, but it's actually a 50. And try to get it thrown out for incompetence. ( I have video's showing where I was pulled over and where the speed limit signs are)
    But most likely I was tagged right after the curve. The best defense I can come up for that is- It's 1/4 mile from the intersection where I entered the road(red arrow) to the curve. The Jeep runs a 84mph 1/4. That's in perfect conditions, launching, with no passengers. So yes, I could have been going 61mph around that turn if those conditions were met. But they weren't. I wasn't racing. I never have. My clean driving history shows that I'm not an aggressive driver, or one to speed. Also when trying to find a street it's common to drive slowly. Hence with the previously mentioned evidence it was impossible for me to be speeding. Either the officer accidentily tagged a vehicle behind me, or there was some technical error (makes me wish I never asked to have the radar tested, that way he wouldn't have the calibration papers)

I know it sounds stupid, but it's all I have. thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Black R View Post
    OP,

Read my advice threads I've posted here.

I recently got off for doing 30 over (85 in a 55) by paying $25 in court costs.

I've also had every speeding charge I've ever incurred reduced or dropped.

I've even gotten out of a street racing ticket before.
    Will do. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by quickdodge® View Post
    Not true.

At all.
    really ???

Educate me please
    Loving life

I havent read any evidence that you were not speeding. And you just stated you could have been speeding around that curve. Your clean record only shows you havent been caught. It doesnt show you are a good driver.

Pay the fine and slow down.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II
    Bitches love bacon.

really ???

Educate me please
    Really.

I currently drive a 2011 Volvo tractor that will not eclipse 68. Believe it or not, there are more vehicles than you realize in this situation.

Really.

I currently drive a 2011 Volvo tractor that will not eclipse 68. Believe it or not, there are more vehicles than you realize in this situation.
    So when you're going down hill with full weight it will not roll past 70???

So if you got pulled over for 90mph, your claim is my truck is govern at 68 and will not go any faster?
    Loving life

So when you're going down hill with full weight it will not roll past 70???
    Nope. You don't have to believe me if you don't want to. I have no reason to lie. My Civic probably won't do 70, either.

So if you got pulled over for 90mph, your claim is my truck is govern at 68 and will not go any faster?
    No claim to make. I won't get pulled over for going 90.

This is the exactly what I'm looking for. I've never been in court and do not know what approach is best. I hope he doesn't show up and it just gets dropped.

Have the officer locate on the map my location where I was tagged. If it's within the 50mph zone then I bring up the point of- officer cited me for speeding in a 40, but it's actually a 50. And try to get it thrown out for incompetence. ( I have video's showing where I was pulled over and where the speed limit signs are)
    But most likely I was tagged right after the curve. The best defense I can come up for that is- It's 1/4 mile from the intersection where I entered the road(red arrow) to the curve. The Jeep runs a 84mph 1/4. That's in perfect conditions, launching, with no passengers. So yes, I could have been going 61mph around that turn if those conditions were met. But they weren't. I wasn't racing. I never have. My clean driving history shows that I'm not an aggressive driver, or one to speed. Also when trying to find a street it's common to drive slowly. Hence with the previously mentioned evidence it was impossible for me to be speeding. Either the officer accidentily tagged a vehicle behind me, or there was some technical error (makes me wish I never asked to have the radar tested, that way he wouldn't have the calibration papers)

Will do. Thanks
    Your best bet is to talk to the solicitor before the judge comes in to take people's plea and ask them to look into dropping the speed below 14mph so it doesn't go on your driving record and affect your insurance. If you have a perfect record they are usually willing to help you out by lowering the speed. The fine will not be as high and you will get no points and they will get some money out of you it's a win win so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by 00CelicaGT View Post
    .... The fine will not be as high and you will get no points and they will get some money out of you it's a win win so to speak.
    Usually, the fine will remain the same. All they want is the money so they will usually (of course depending on your record) lower the recorded speed or change the charge altogether, but leave the fine intact.

Will do. Thanks

...and you just proved my point that you didn't even read what I typed....or you REALLY suck at reading and understanding :facepalm:

Usually, the fine will remain the same. All they want is the money so they will usually (of course depending on your record) lower the recorded speed or change the charge altogether, but leave the fine intact.
    Ding ding ding.
    02' Miata

Not saying your wrong but I guess they made and exception for me on the 2 speeding tickets I received. Each time the fine was lowered, they told me the amount of the ticket before the speed was dropped and after it was dropped. Maybe they were feeling generous? Lol