Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So how many of you all think Nopi has what it takes to become "popular" again?

Default So how many of you all think Nopi has what it takes to become "popular" again?

Are you speaking of the Nopi Show or Nopi in general? Maybe, if they bring back that formula they had in the late 90's, early 2000's.

Nopi Show love going when I was younger. Needs a reinvention. As for the Nopi store. I rather shop online or drive to Summit. Better pricing and selection. Both could be popular again, if they changed with the time and listen to the needs of the consumer.

Sent From My Omega Red Galaxy S2

Senior Member | IA Veteran quickdodge®'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dc5-rsx View Post
    Are you speaking of the Nopi Show or Nopi in general? Maybe, if they bring back that formula they had in the late 90's, early 2000's.
    You're not even old enough to remember when the NOPI shows were good!

Lolol. Seriously. You're not. NOPI shows hit their peak in the late 1980s and barely into the 1990s before they started to head downhill.
    FOR MORE INFO, CLICK THE PIC!!!

Quote Originally Posted by quickdodge® View Post
    You're not even old enough to remember when the NOPI shows were good!

Lolol. Seriously. You're not. NOPI shows hit their peak in the late 1980s and barely into the 1990s before they started to head downhill.
    I just remember going to them in the late 90's. It was fun then. Damn how old are you qd?

I just remember going to them in the late 90's. It was fun then. Damn how old are you qd?

My age is in the top right corner of each of my posts, lolol.

@qd What do you think caused Nopi decline?

My age is in the top right corner of each of my posts, lolol.
    Can't see it. I'm using Tapatalk.

Senior Member | IA Veteran boostedb16's Avatar

if nopi starts selling oem parts and call them "JDM" hahaha, i think the show would do ok.

@qd What do you think caused Nopi decline?
    My gut wants to tell me the quality of cars. But that would be just an opinion of mine because I'm not really into the whole tuning of cars to the extinct most people are. But reality tells me that times have changed. Car shows aren't what's in these days. In the late 90s/early to mid 2000s, you could find a tuner style show damn near every week. They were everywhere. We were racking up trophies left and right. But as fads come and go, fancy paint jobs, body kits and crazy concoctions went by the wayside and people started heading into a more "performance" aspect of modifying. I use quotations around performance because a lot of people were slapping IHEs on their cars and calling them race cars. Not worrying about paint and such. Also this drifting thing was coming around. People just got disinterested in how their cars looked compared to how they ran.

I say NOPI shows were much better back in the late 80s/early 90s because they featured your California lowriders and mini-trucks and, what brought NOPI to the public in the beginning, Volkswagens. The import tuning scene wasn't really in at that time. Bascially, the import tuning scene then was a car version of mini-trucking. You would take your cars (late 80s Nissan Sentras were hot then) and outfit them with wild paint schemes and wheels and drop. A few engine embellishments were added. Intakes were modified and components were painted/chromed or whatever.

Now where I say those NOPI shows were the best, someone of your age, who grew up in the era of the late 90s/early 2000s NOPI shows, would obviously disagree and refer to the shows grew up on were the best. There is no right or wrong answer and that's the beauty of it.

Can't see it. I'm using Tapatalk.
    Ahhh. I'm 42.
    Last edited by quickdodge®; 09-04-2012 at 10:43 AM. Reason: spelling

My gut wants to tell me the quality of cars. But that would be just an opinion of mine because I'm not really into the whole tuning of cars to the extinct most people are. But reality tells me that times have changed. Car shows aren't what's in these days. In the late 90s/early to mid 2000s, you could find a tuner style show damn near every week. They were everywhere. We were racking up trophies left and right. But as fads come and go, fance paint jobs, body kits and crazy concoctions went by the wayside and people started heading into a more "performance" aspect of modifying. I use quotations around performance because a lot of people were slapping IHEs on their cars and calling them race cars. Not worrying about paint and such. Also this drifting thing was coming around. People just got disinterested in how their cars looked compared to how they ran.

I say NOPI shows were much better back in the late 80s/early 90s because they featured your California lowriders and mini-trucks and, what brought NOPI to the public in the beginning, Volkswagens. The import tuning scene wasn't really in at that time. Bascially, the import tuning scene then was a car version of mini-trucking. You would take your cars (late 80s Nissan Sentras were hot then) and outfit them with wild paint schemes and wheels and drop. A few engine embellishments were added. Intakes were modified and components were painted/chromed or whatever.

Now where I say those NOPI shows were the best, someone of your age, who grew up in the era of the late 90s/early 2000s NOPI shows, would obviously disagree and refer to the shows grew up on were the best. There is no right or wrong answer and that's the beauty of it.

Ahhh. I'm 42.
    Wow that was deep...

Quote Originally Posted by RsonGt3's View Post
    Wow that was deep...
    but on point

I don't think it would be hard if they were to analyze the current trends and offer said parts at similar prices to online (eBay) retailers...like any other buisness model. All they would have to do is stock cheap XXR (or any other offbrand Chinese wheels) and generic coil-over kits that go with todays "stanced" bandwagon. They used to do with with the "#1 Brand", but it looked goofy and cheap. I don't think it would take too much for someone with a marketing degree to help them out immensely. They may want to have a go a redesigning the logo too...the current NOPI logo screams "we're old and have not changed a bit!" Also, I think they could do well if they can also market themelvs along with the "buy local" trend. I know I'm more than happy to support locally owned buisnesses when I can.

If they had the property, they could offer a weekly meeting spot on their own turf...
    I never had a problem with NOPI other than they didn't carry shit for my car.

I dunno, people started getting too cheap....it's hard to compete with the shit on eBay. But the only constant is change. What is cool now, or for the past few years and who knows ho wmuch longer- will change. It's all cycles. Look at the crazy trends that have come and go and the lulls of quiet time in between. I think the "now" is kinda quiet. People are sticking to the basics, cheap wheels, low suspension and basic exterior additions (lips kits and small things). Eventually people will want to create something new and stick out...which will lead the next trend...whatever it may be.

For those old enough for the "young" generation Mike speaks of, I'll just say "UAB"....which was another casualty of the same trend and decline that brought NOPI down.
    Last edited by Doppelgänger; 09-04-2012 at 10:49 AM.
    02' Miata

Elite Window Tinting DynamicSound's Avatar

I went to 4 shows in the late 90's/early 00's and enjoyed them. Mainly because of the turnout and diverse amount of cars that I didn't see on a daily basis. I am not speaking of the outfield full of "car clubs" that were full of crap. Nopi as a show will never make it back to what it once was. Today there is a mini show or meet almost every week where people go for FREE and hangout. So why would they go to a show that charges and will not produce any different than what is already seen on a weekly basis. It is a different time and Nopi is a company that have not adapted with time.

i was trying to get myself to go, but...i rather attend the mini z r/c race

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfix_15 View Post
    You travel with so much luggage that it wont fit in a wagon? you dating a kardashian?

Quote Originally Posted by RsonGt3's View Post
    Wow that was deep...
    I've been here a long time, man, lolol. Almost 30 years of some form of modifying cars. I've got pictures from shows I went to in 1990.

Quote Originally Posted by Doppelgänger View Post
    I don't think it would be hard if they were to analyze the current trends and offer said parts at similar prices to online (eBay) retailers...like any other buisness model. All they would have to do is stock cheap XXR (or any other offbrand Chinese wheels) and generic coil-over kits that go with todays "stanced" bandwagon. They used to do with with the "#1 Brand", but it looked goofy and cheap. I don't think it would take too much for someone with a marketing degree to help them out immensely. They may want to have a go a redesigning the logo too...the current NOPI logo screams "we're old and have not changed a bit!"

If they had the property, they could offer a weekly meeting spot on their own turf...
    I never had a problem with NOPI other than they didn't carry shit for my car.

I dunno, people started getting too cheap....it's hard to compete with the shit on eBay.
    Now if you're talking about NOPI the store, then this Mike has it on point.

For those old enough for the "young" generation Mike speaks of, I'll just say "UAB"....which was another casualty of the same trend and decline that brought NOPI down.
    Yep. UAB was about the last of the shops that supplied cars to the last of the "great" NOPI shows. Great group of guys there.

See edited post above.

I could see a solid storefront being a good bet. Physical presence with parts and service will go better than just trying to resurrect the name. Hold meets there to show off their product and prove their seriousness. To me, the name itself has a stigma that will be REALLY difficult to shake.
    The scene is not dead by any means though. Look at some of the shops out there like Forged and TopSpeed....who seem to be doing quite sell. There is a forumla to succeed here...
    02' Miata

I could see a solid storefront being a good bet. Physical presence with parts and service will go better than just trying to resurrect the name. Hold meets there to show off their product and prove their seriousness. To me, the name itself has a stigma that will be REALLY difficult to shake.
    The scene is not dead by any means though. Look at some of the shops out there like Forged and TopSpeed....who seem to be doing quite sell. There is a forumla to succeed here...
    The only thing I have to add here is that you really can't compare two entities like NOPI and TS/Forged. One is a shop selling a broad assortment of parts for a broad assortment of interests while the others are specific shops catering to a more higher dollar niche...racing/performance. The scene itself, like you said, seems to be in a lull or rut. I don't see it being alive because of Topspeed or Forged. If these guys were keeping it alive, you'd see more threads on here documenting a member's experience and car. Bringing up UAB reinforces this thought as you remember, Mike, they did damn near 1/4 to 1/2 of IA member's cars back in their heyday. But again, you're trying to compare an auto accessory store with a high performance shop.

The only thing I have to add here is that you really can't compare two entities like NOPI and TS/Forged. One is a shop selling a broad assortment of parts for a broad assortment of interests while the others are specific shops catering to a more higher dollar niche...racing/performance. The scene itself, like you said, seems to be in a lull or rut. I don't see it being alive because of Topspeed or Forged. If these guys were keeping it alive, you'd see more threads on here documenting a member's experience and car. Bringing up UAB reinforces this thought as you remember, Mike, they did damn near 1/4 to 1/2 of IA member's cars back in their heyday. But again, you're trying to compare an auto accessory store with a high performance shop.
    at the same time though, alot of the people actually doing 'real builds' dont have accounts on here...they dont show their's off by posting up 'build threads' etc. speaking in broad terms, not knocking anyone w/ actual, viable build threads

You travel with so much luggage that it wont fit in a wagon? you dating a kardashian?

Quote Originally Posted by Sammich View Post
    at the same time though, alot of the people actually doing 'real builds' dont have accounts on here...they dont show their's off by posting up 'build threads' etc. speaking in broad terms, not knocking anyone w/ actual, viable build threads
    While you're right, and I already thought of that (just didn't include it), but you've also got to think about the ratio of people doing builds of that caliber to the people just throwing IHEs and such on their cars. Probably less than 10 out of every 100 people are going after "professional" builds out there. While most may be interested in what these shops do, most aren't eager to throw down that much money on their own car. Especially if they can do most of it themselves. Most every car that Chad has posted for Forged have owners who aren't even members of IA, much less post about it. And I would go further and say that maybe half probably don't really even do the internet thing, either.

Certified Gearhead

Wow I didn't even think NOPI was still around and in business. I went to check out their page and seems they're still using the exact same webpage design that they had when I was looking at their stuff probably 8 to 10 years ago.

Senior Member | IA Veteran

i never remember nopi being good in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt300ZXT View Post
    Wow I didn't even think NOPI was still around and in business. I went to check out their page and seems they're still using the exact same webpage design that they had when I was looking at their stuff probably 8 to 10 years ago.
    ^^^ Which is part of what I was getting at. They need a rebranding...which clearly depends on their financial situation. I don't feel that simply going to meets and just handing out fliers is going to be the solution. Maybe partnering with some of the big name organizations would help...like Stance Nation, ImportAlliance, SouthrnFresh and whatnot. Partner with those names and modernize the image? Though I just went to their website and was surprised to see the amount of stuff they list for my car and their prices. Site still feels old though. After spending more time looking through their stuff, I can say that I could have actually have used them for several things I have needed recently, but I decided to go with Miata-specific venders because I didn't even think about NOPI having some parts for my car.

Mike- I know such shops are on a different level compared to NOPI, but the buisness model can be followed. Get a good name out there and the rest follows. People are willing to spend if they know it's worth their hard earned money. I know a lot of what I am saying is common sense, but I feel a lot of people might not really thing about such simple things. Yes, I agree that it probably is easier for a shop to focus in on a specific car/brand vs a broad spectrum of brands.

Sin- People with your opinion might be the most beneficial to this discussion. Clearly that is your impression, but why? Was it price? Parts selection? Availability? It's discussing the problems and impressions that lead to improvement.

**Disclaimer- I am not affiliated with NOPI by any means. I feel bad for them and how the scene has left them behind. I have a lot of fun memories of killing multiple weekends at their events. I am here to just have a good, level-headed discussion about a local buisness.
    Last edited by Doppelgänger; 09-04-2012 at 12:35 PM.
    02' Miata

^^^ Which is part of what I was getting at. They need a rebranding...which clearly depends on their financial situation. I don't feel that simply going to meets adn just handing out fliers is going to be the solution. Maybe partnering with some of the big name organizations would help...like Stance Nation, ImportAlliance, SouthrnFresh and whatnot. Partner with those names and modernize the product.
    Here's the thing, my brother with the same name, if you'll remember, NOPI tried that what, a few years ago when they partnered with HIN. That show lasted all of a couple of years (at least here in Atlanta). It doesn't seem to me that the show side of things is as much a thing to do as it used to be. SF, IA etc, are all just great big meets. They are cheaper to throw and cheaper to attend. Like you said, it would seem that NOPI may need to do a big overhaul.

Mike- I know such shops are on a different level compared to NOPI, but the buisness model can be followed. Get a good name out there and the rest follows.
    It's not that these shops aren't on the same level. They aren't in the same category. Forged's focus is on a completely different plane than NOPI's. But you're most definitely correct as far as business model goes. And that thinking would apply to every business out there. And NOPI has an advantage to getting their name back up. Their name is 100% out there already. They have that going for them. But it seems in some people's eyes, that may be going against them as well.

I am here to just have a good, level-headed discussion about a local buisness.
    Agreed.

Yeah, but HIN was a dying trend as well (who could have seen it happening at the time? Hindsight is...).
    I think NOPI is overly assiciated with "shows"...which are not where the current trend is. Right now it's "meets"...and the two aren't really different, but there is a clear distinction that comes to mind when you mention a big name meet vs a show. My suggestion to NOPI would be to associate with meets....just getting people together, then see where things go. Maybe instead of the "NOPI NATIONSALS SUPERSHOW" they could try something like "THE NEW NOPI BIG-ASS MEET N' BBQ" lol
    02' Miata

Yeah, but HIN was a dying trend as well (who could have seen it happening at the time? Hindsight is...).
    I think NOPI is overly assiciated with "shows"...which are not where the current trend is. Right now it's "meets"...and the two aren't really different, but there is a clear distinction that comes to mind when you mention a big name meet vs a show. My suggestion to NOPI would be to associate with meets....just getting people together, then see where things go. Maybe instead of the "NOPI NATIONSALS SUPERSHOW" they could try something like "THE NEW NOPI BIG-ASS MEET N' BBQ" lol
    Agreed. People don't seem too concerned about paying $75 for a shot at a trophy. Or even $50 or less for that matter. They will, however, spend $10 to attend a meet in a nice sized area and chill and walk around and check shit out. Same you do at a show, just less costing. And trying out some sort of meet might be a good start for NOPI if they want to delve back into that aspect the "scene."

Here is where I don't see that happening, though. NOPI is still a business and businesses exist to make money. I can't see NOPI putting on a meet the size of an IA meet and not trying to charge folks 3,4 even 5 times an IA admission fee.

Senior Member | IA Veteran Nismo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sammich View Post
    i was trying to get myself to go, but...i rather attend the mini z r/c race
    Where's there a mini-z race?
    Quote Originally Posted by blackboi50
    white power!!!!!! .....1

Agreed. People don't seem too concerned about paying $75 for a shot at a trophy. Or even $50 or less for that matter. They will, however, spend $10 to attend a meet in a nice sized area and chill and walk around and check shit out. Same you do at a show, just less costing. And trying out some sort of meet might be a good start for NOPI if they want to delve back into that aspect the "scene."

Here is where I don't see that happening, though. NOPI is still a business and businesses exist to make money. I can't see NOPI putting on a meet the size of an IA meet and not trying to charge folks 3,4 even 5 times an IA admission fee.
    Hell, C&O started off as a meet years ago and now has become commercialized with paying vendors and whatnot. Start small...meets on NOPI property (do they still have any physical locations?), move to bigger events. NOPI doesn't have to cover normal operating costs for a meet, just cover the cost of the meet and count any profit as a good day. Sell some sponsor space and maybe display some product on "trendy" cars to show they can compete with the known brands and to show they have today's product. Create a buzz. I see they list the WB's meets and C&O as "sponsored" events on their website...but I didn't even know that until just now. Maybe a meet with their name only?

I've seen one of the guys from NOPI at many of the local meets promoting the NNSS, I understand the footwork of handing out fliers, but they need to go the next step....whatever it may be. I say meets at their main location to get things started.
    02' Miata

Senior Member | IA Veteran

Sin- People with your opinion might be the most beneficial to this discussion. Clearly that is your impression, but why? Was it price? Parts selection? Availability? It's discussing the problems and impressions that lead to improvement.
    I think the import isle at your local autozone and the death of the fiberglass industry is what killed places like NOPI. The reason i never cared for them in the first place is because a ricer shop called PTAP "perfect touch automotive playground" opened up here back in the fast and furious era of autosports and they were pretty much the same thing NOPI was. They had all these different fiberglass wings, hoods and bumpers hanging from the ceiling on display and everything. Being able to walk in and touch the parts with your hands made it obvious that it was all cheap junk. The same cheap junk they had was the same cheap junk that NOPI had. The only reason i remember people ever going to NOPI shows was for the girls in bikinis. For the most part, NOPI offers the same product as the ebay companies and theyre price competitive. Problem is.... a lot of that stuff you can walk in your local autozone and buy. The stuff autozone doesnt carry like the body parts, it's pretty much universal knowledge that its all junk.

The fiberglass market was an unsustainable bubble for companies like NOPI, when it went away, their business suffered. Nothing NOPI offers is unique or exclusive. Theyre just a cheap parts peddler that hires a few strippers every now and then and has a car show. As much as i love strippers...... i'll drive past about 15 parts stores on my way to hooters, i can stop at any of them and buy cheap import accessories.

Hell, C&O started off as a meet years ago and now has become commercialized with paying vendors and whatnot. Start small...meets on NOPI property (do they still have any physical locations?), move to bigger events. NOPI doesn't have to cover normal operating costs for a meet, just cover the cost of the meet and count any profit as a good day. Sell some sponsor space and maybe display some product on "trendy" cars to show they can compete with the known brands and to show they have today's product. Create a buzz. I see they list the WB's meets and C&O as "sponsored" events on their website...but I didn't even know that until just now. Maybe a meet with their name only?

I've seen one of the guys from NOPI at many of the local meets promoting the NNSS, I understand the footwork of handing out fliers, but they need to go the next step....whatever it may be. I say meets at their main location to get things started.
    I think NOPI's only main office is in it's same location in Forest Park. They did used to have meets at some of their locations from time to time with the main meet spot being the Snellville store as it was really the only store to have any sort of room. They really couldn't hold meets at their stores, though, because pretty much all their parking lots could only hold a dozen cars at best.

And I get (and am saying the same thing) you when you say they should hold meets like IA does at the same prices that IA charges. I'm saying, though, that I don't see them doing that. I see them not wanting to do anything unless they can make it worth their while.......profitable. You look at Napier and see he charges $10 to go to an IA meet and you can kind of see that he is doing it for the scene. If he makes a little extra, then that's good for him and maybe he deserves it for his efforts. But then you look at NOPI. Being that they are an actual entity, they're going to want to do it for the better of themselves and not necessarily for the better of the scene. They're going to want to charge more and make it a business venture instead of a for the people type ordeal.

Senior Member | IA Veteran 1civic's Avatar

If people have no problem with NOPI taking there money then so be it!

IF they can prove that it's about us "THE PAYING PEOPLE" then I will show some respect..

These people have seen that they can still make money, so they decided to try again!!

It's not rocket science, people are greedy, and that greed will own you, just like it did them before..

Now, I'm sure people will show up, but not because it's NOPI, it will be because their buddy's are going!!

i feel like we have this worthless Nopi conversation ever 6 months. Its all been said before, Nopi is run by guys that are out of touch with what the scene and industry has evolved into. They have no clue, and their show will be a flop.
    Enterprise Data Resources- Ecommerce Project Manager
    -www.usedbarcode.net

Quote Originally Posted by Nismo View Post
    Where's there a mini-z race?
    in charlotte on the 22nd

I'm going this year with my brothers. I hope it's better than the HIN/NOPI supershow a few years ago.
    GOT VTEC?

I wish HIN would come back to the GICC. That was good shit.

Major cars shows will never be the same ever again and that's sad. Body kits were replaced by stance, neons were replaced by wire tucks, etc. I wasn't around the scene back in the late 80s to early and mid
    90s but I miss the times I was there.

Sent from my Thunderbolt 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by Echonova View Post
    Bitches love bacon.

I hope NOPI does very well, I am not a car show enthusiast by any means, hell I will be at the track instead of their event but I know the scene was a lot better off when they were THE event to be at. I just wish they would trash the neon "glow off" competition and not have so many damn trophies....it makes a lot of people and companies loose respect for the event. Like Mike was saying, they are in dire need of restructuring, I don't want to see them become a stanced out hipster garbage of an event(we have enough of those already) but they do need to tweak quite a few things.

Quote Originally Posted by Chadbee@Forged View Post
    I don't want to see them become a stanced out
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadbee@Forged View Post
    event
    That's exactly what it's going to be simply because that's where the "scene" is right now. Can't really get around that. If the "scene" was lifting Hondas 4 foot in the air at the time of NOPI's bigger events, that's what the show then would be. NOPI can't help that part.

There are many events like IA, wekfest, etc...that have taken Nopi's role as a facilitator of car events. I'd rather have a wekfest car event here than the nopi event coming up.

I'd rather go to a forged/z1/import atlanta/garage zero/import alliance/HIN/southrnfrsh event than nopi. Nopi is literally at the bottom of the list for me as far as "what events I want to go to."

Quote Originally Posted by RL... View Post
    There are many events like IA, wekfest, etc...that have taken Nopi's role as a facilitator of car events. I'd rather have a wekfest car event here than the nopi event coming up.

I'd rather go to a forged/z1/import atlanta/garage zero/import alliance/HIN/southrnfrsh event than nopi. Nopi is literally at the bottom of the list for me as far as "what events I want to go to."
    To be completely honest, same here.

Senior Member | IA Veteran 1civic's Avatar

Well we are all different, so I say I like the drag racing aspect..

As for the other stuff I could careless!!

Quote Originally Posted by 1civic View Post
    Well we are all different, so I say I like the drag racing aspect..

As for the other stuff I could careless!!
    You could? Good to know.

As for what RL said- I wonder how you would feel if NOPI had managed to stay on top of the bandwagon....
    02' Miata

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast