• Guilty

1 5.26%
  • Not Guilty

18 94.74%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Zimmerman verdict

Senior Member | IA Veteran

Default Zimmerman verdict

Closing arguments coming in the Zimmerman trial.

It doesn't matter. If you have been watching the trial, the judge and prosecutor have planned a guilty verdict together since day one. The trial is a joke - especially this morning's developments.
    "Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." - Steve McQueen

I will be very concerned as a gun owner if Zimmerman is found guilty. I am already pretty concerned by how much of the prosecution's argument revolved around basic gun ownership.

Quote Originally Posted by David88vert View Post
    It doesn't matter. If you have been watching the trial, the judge and prosecutor have planned a guilty verdict together since day one. The trial is a joke - especially this morning's developments.
    If you really feel that way, and if it turns out to be true.... that's a scary thought

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfix_15 View Post
    If you really feel that way, and if it turns out to be true.... that's a scary thought
    This morning, the prosecution wanted to add in 3rd degree murder charges based upon "child abuse" - there were no arguments or evidence for that type of charge from the state's presentation. Adding in charges at the time to begin closing arguments is ridiculous - and the judge allowed manslaughter to be added as a new charge. If you watched the judge talk this morning, she made it clear where she stands. They are grasping at straws to find a way to convict him.
    http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/11/justic...html?hpt=hp_t1
    "Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." - Steve McQueen

buy me some STP octane booster whatever210's Avatar

The evidence isn't enough to me. And the only person to testify against him is dead. I think it's a not guilty

Quote Originally Posted by David88vert View Post
    This morning, the prosecution wanted to add in 3rd degree murder charges based upon "child abuse" - there were no arguments or evidence for that type of charge from the state's presentation. Adding in charges at the time to begin closing arguments is ridiculous - and the judge allowed manslaughter to be added as a new charge. If you watched the judge talk this morning, she made it clear where she stands. They are grasping at straws to find a way to convict him.
    Judge: Zimmerman jurors can consider manslaughter charge - CNN.com
    Yeah, ive been watching it.

If you think he is guilty of manslaughter or whatever else, then you should think he is guilty of murder..... if you dont think he's guilty of murder, then hes simply not guilty.

I feel the addition of charges is meant to confuse the jury. They should be informed that there's no such a thing as kinda guilty and shouldnt be encouraged to chose a compromise verdict.

3rd degree just removed from charges

i love how not guilty has 100%.
    This whole trial is retarded, and i think everyone knows what i mean
    [1996 Integra GSR]
    [Still not running]

truthfully, looking/watching this entire trial IMHO the defense has raised enough reasonable doubt for the 2nd degree (self defense) to be dropped...but i'm betting the manslaughter will stick.

he's guilty of killing a kid, there's no "planned a guilty verdict together since day one" because he's repeatedly admitted to shooting him.

You travel with so much luggage that it wont fit in a wagon? you dating a kardashian?

Quote Originally Posted by Sammich View Post
    truthfully, looking/watching this entire trial IMHO the defense has raised enough reasonable doubt for the 2nd degree (self defense) to be dropped...but i'm betting the manslaughter will stick.

he's guilty of killing a kid, there's no "planned a guilty verdict together since day one" because he's repeatedly admitted to shooting him.
    He didnt kill a kid. He used a firearm to stop an attacker.

This is a clear and obvious case of self defense. If this isnt self defense, i dont know what is.

I would have shot Trayvon sooner than Zimmerman did. He screamed for help prior to deciding to use his weapon. If someone attacks me, im not screaming for help while they hit me. Each hit, each slam on the pavement can potentially knock you out, and once you're knocked out, you're defenseless and your life is in someone else's hands.

I haven't been following the case very closely but I haven't heard anything to conclusively prove it wasn't self defense. So I voted not guilty. I also heard about Trayvon's weed use and past social media posts. That had me shaking my head too. It seems like there are a lot of red herrings coming from both sides in this trial.

He didnt kill a kid. He used a firearm to stop an attacker.
    Really there is no need to play the word games here. Leave that to the lawyers. Maybe that kid was attacking him, but he absolutely did kill a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by bu villain View Post
    I haven't been following the case very closely but I haven't heard anything to conclusively prove it wasn't self defense. So I voted not guilty. I also heard about Trayvon's weed use and past social media posts. That had me shaking my head too. It seems like there are a lot of red herrings coming from both sides in this trial.
    Most of the "character assassinations" were started by the prosecution. The defense is responding to their crooked tactics.

Really there is no need to play the word games here. Leave that to the lawyers. Maybe that kid was attacking him, but he absolutely did kill a kid.
    I recall a conversation with some military friends. They were talking about being deployed and their interactions with various people. Talking about how some people would protest and then some would thank them for being there. How it was stressful because you never know whos who, a woman or child could walk up to you with a bomb....

Someone asked, what would you do if a child ran at you with a bomb?

His response, when they attack me, theyre no longer a child.

Since when is 17 a kid? They charge 17 year old "kids" as you say, as adults all the time. You can sign up for the service as a 17 year old. So him being a "kid" is a little skewed to me. A kid is 15 and younger to me.

Senior Member | IA Veteran 1civic's Avatar

Talk about this!!

link:
    4 teens charged in death of Mableton man - Atlanta News, Weather, Traffic, and Sports | FOX 5

Make it top find on google... Post links everywhere, why, cause I'm sick of reading about the zimmerman crap!

Or the guys that shot that woman and her baby in the face. Why isn't that a outcry. Why. Because the media doesn't think it will get them ratings

Senior Member | IA Veteran 1civic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by whatever210 View Post
    Or the guys that shot that woman and her baby in the face. Why isn't that a outcry. Why. Because the media doesn't think it will get them ratings
    Hate crimes get ratings, but no one seems to care if the tables are turned... It's really sad!!!

Since when is 17 a kid? They charge 17 year old "kids" as you say, as adults all the time. You can sign up for the service as a 17 year old. So him being a "kid" is a little skewed to me. A kid is 15 and younger to me.
    just a bunch of kids

I declare mistrial. Because no reason and I am tired of hearing about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Echonova View Post
    Bitches love bacon.

Most of the "character assassinations" were started by the prosecution. The defense is responding to their crooked tactics.
    I don't care who started it. Both sides are wrong to do it.

Someone asked, what would you do if a child ran at you with a bomb?

His response, when they attack me, theyre no longer a child.
    Well if you are making up your own definition of who a child is and who isn't then sure, you can say anyone is an adult but the standard definition is 18 years old.

The standard definition is 18 years old and under are minors aka kids aka children. If calling him an adult makes you feel better, then go for it. To me, the label "kid" doesn't affect how I feel about what happened at all. It has no bearing on whether Zimmerman was justified in what he did or not.

Quote Originally Posted by 1civic View Post
    Talk about this!!

link:
    4 teens charged in death of Mableton man - Atlanta News, Weather, Traffic, and Sports | FOX 5

Make it top find on google... Post links everywhere, why, cause I'm sick of reading about the zimmerman crap!
    these fools deserve as much time as zimmerman..killing a person is killing a person no matter if they are a "kid" or not, it's a fucking life!! people always say 'you are not god so who are you to judge me'...well you are not god, who are you to decide if a person's life should be taken

You travel with so much luggage that it wont fit in a wagon? you dating a kardashian?

Sinflix, of course kids can be murderers. I don't understand your point. "Kid" is not a title bestowed only upon well behaved young people.

life = life

regardless if it's a kid or not

@sinfix. Im confused about your post. Are you arguing with me or agreeing

I don't care who started it. Both sides are wrong to do it.

Well if you are making up your own definition of who a child is and who isn't then sure, you can say anyone is an adult but the standard definition is 18 years old.

The standard definition is 18 years old and under are minors aka kids aka children. If calling him an adult makes you feel better, then go for it. To me, the label "kid" doesn't affect how I feel about what happened at all. It has no bearing on whether Zimmerman was justified in what he did or not.
    Your misunderstanding my point. This has nothing to do with this case. If a 17 year old shots a clerk at a gas station and kills them. They don't charge them like a juvenile. They charge them as a adult

.....people always say 'you are not god so who are you to judge me'...well you are not god, who are you to decide if a person's life should be taken
    I am to decide who lives or dies should my life or my family's life be jeopardized.

I am also to decide who lives or dies during a mass casualty as well but thats different.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II
    Bitches love bacon.

IF you look at the FACTS of the case and remove the emotion, Zimmerman should walk. He killed an attacker, an attacker that hurled just as much racism as he did. There is no racist motivation , he was attacked, plain and simple, and he killed the attacker. If someone attacks you, and you feel your life is threatened, you have the right to respond with deadly force. Based upon the witnesses saying that he was having his face pummled into the ground, he could have felt his life was in danger, used deadly force, case close.

Now, me personally, I dont think there is ANY 17 year old kid on this planet that could put me in a position where i feel like i have to draw a gun and kill him. But, I always try to diffuse situations , and unlike Zimmerman, I would have NEVER put myself in a position like he did.

I would have called LEO, and waited for their arrival.
    Enterprise Data Resources- Ecommerce Project Manager
    -www.usedbarcode.net

Your misunderstanding my point. This has nothing to do with this case. If a 17 year old shots a clerk at a gas station and kills them. They don't charge them like a juvenile. They charge them as a adult
    That is true but I don't think that is particularly relevant here. Trayvon isn't on trial. He is under 18 and thus a minor in the laws eyes. It's just a definition and doesn't say anything about Trayvon's actions on the night in question. The only reason to say he isn't a kid is to try and make it seem like him being killed is some how less significant.

Quote Originally Posted by Vteckidd View Post
    IF you look at the FACTS of the case and remove the emotion, Zimmerman should walk. He killed an attacker, an attacker that hurled just as much racism as he did. There is no racist motivation , he was attacked, plain and simple, and he killed the attacker. If someone attacks you, and you feel your life is threatened, you have the right to respond with deadly force. Based upon the witnesses saying that he was having his face pummled into the ground, he could have felt his life was in danger, used deadly force, case close.

Now, me personally, I dont think there is ANY 17 year old kid on this planet that could put me in a position where i feel like i have to draw a gun and kill him. But, I always try to diffuse situations , and unlike Zimmerman, I would have NEVER put myself in a position like he did.

you said FACTS...but ASSUMED that Zimmerman was attacked...none of us on this forum was at the scene sitting w/ a bowl of popcorn to see the event unfold. with that said i cant say this.

Pretty much agree entirely with this. That's my main problem with Zimmerman. He didn't do anything illegal but he escalated a situation unnecessarily and someone lost their life because of it. I think Trayvon responded poorly to the situation also.

you said FACTS...but ASSUMED that Zimmerman was attacked...none of us on this forum was at the scene sitting w/ a bowl of popcorn to see the event unfold. with that said i cant say this.
    its not debatable, read the sworn testimony. Zimmerman was attacked and was being beaten while on the ground. LEO agreed with this assessment. His bruises and marks were consistent of being attacked, Trayvon had no such marks. Read the cell phone conversation as well.

Hard to have this kind of opinion if you havent read the facts:

According to Tampa Bay Fox affiliate WTVT-TV, what the witness says he saw could bolster Zimmerman’s claim that he shot Martin in self-defense:

“The guy on the bottom who had a red sweater on was yelling to me: ‘help, help…and I told him to stop and I was calling 911,” he said.

Trayvon Martin was in a hoodie; Zimmerman was in red.

The witness only wanted to be identified as “John,” and didn’t not want to be shown on camera.

His statements to police were instrumental, because police backed up Zimmerman’s claims, saying those screams on the 911 call are those of Zimmerman.

“When I got upstairs and looked down, the guy who was on top beating up the other guy, was the one laying in the grass, and I believe he was dead at that point,” John said.
    On Friday, John Good, an eye witness to the fight between George Zimmerman and Trayvon Martin that resulted in the Florida teen’s death, testified that he believed Martin to be the aggressor in that fight. He depicted what he believed the fight to look like, saying that he observed Martin on top of Zimmerman. Florida’s WFTV 9 made a mockup of what Good described – the digital animation shows Martin attacking Zimmerman.
    Zimmerman Trial Trayvon Martin Witness John Good Attack | Mediaite

Again, SWORN EYE WITNESS TESTIMONY saying Zimmerman was ATTACKED FIRST
    -www.usedbarcode.net

Pretty much agree entirely with this. That's my main problem with Zimmerman. He didn't do anything illegal but he escalated a situation unnecessarily and someone lost their life because of it. I think Trayvon responded poorly to the situation also.
    Trayvon was a kid (minor), kids do stupid things. Doesnt mean he should be shot and killed. Trayvon may have overreacted and been a thug, but hes 17, Zimmerman should have waited in his car for the proper authorities to show up. Let them deal with the kid.
    -www.usedbarcode.net

That is true but I don't think that is particularly relevant here. Trayvon isn't on trial. He is under 18 and thus a minor in the laws eyes. It's just a definition and doesn't say anything about Trayvon's actions on the night in question. The only reason to say he isn't a kid is to try and make it seem like him being killed is some how less significant.
    So they get to pick and choose between a 17 year old is a juvenile or adult in a certain cases.

Here's what scares me about this trial and how "off the rails" it has been.....

I'll apply it to a recent ordeal in my own life that i've been churning over in my mind.

A couple days ago i walk outside onto my porch and sit down on the steps to lace up my boots. I notice a car parked a house down with some guys leaning in the window. I'm not watching them, dont even look in their direction, just made a mental note of it. It's a habit. So i'm lacing my boots up when a guy yells out " hey, what's your business cuz ", i dont acknowledge it and dont even look up from lacing my shoes, but in my mind i consider the option that theyre talking to me. Next he says "hey white boy, mind your business" At this point i look up and put my hands on my knees, looking directly at the guy who is now walking towards me. He has his right hand on his pants to hold them up. He walks about 5 yards when the other guys from the car get out behind him and start to follow. At this point, without saying anything, i stand up. For 2 reasons, to look at the other 2 guy's hands and pockets and for easier access to my pistol if needed. I assume that because this person is so aggressive and offended by me being outside that theyre probably doing a drug deal or something, otherwise they would say "hey neighbor" One guy is wearing gym shorts, the other sweat pants, i can see that neither of those guys are carrying weapons, the guy in front has his right hand holding his belt up and hes wearing jeans so im watching his hands since i'm unsure if he's armed. Given the 3v1 scenario, id probably be pretty quick to draw my weapon if they had actually entered my property.

Not a single word comes out my mouth during this entire ordeal. The guy stops and stands there looking at me until one of the guys behind him catches up and motions for him to turn around.

So lets say this guy steps into my yard and approaches me in a threatening manner and i pull out my gun and shoot him.

Based on the methods of the Zimmerman prosecution they would say.....

"i came outside with a loaded gun because i wanted to kill someone, i wouldnt have a loaded gun if i wasnt looking to kill someone"
    "if i didnt have a gun i would have went back in my house and not stayed outside"
    "i only came outside because there were black people outside"
    "i profiled the group of black people and pretended to be a cop"
    "i only thought they were drug dealers because they were black"
    "had i of turned around and went in my house, nobody would have died"
    "i didnt sustain enough damage to feel that my life was being threatened"
    "so a group of guys just decided to walk up and attack you for no reason... riiiiggghhhtttt"

This is my interest in this case......... i am highly concerned by the speculation at hand as it pertains to concealed carry.

Blockburger v. United States (1932) shares similar circumstances as Zimmermann v. United States in that double jeopardy is potentially present based on one charge not likely to stick so a new one was introduced to continue.

I say mistrial.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II
    Bitches love bacon.

Trayvon was a kid (minor), kids do stupid things. Doesnt mean he should be shot and killed. Trayvon may have overreacted and been a thug, but hes 17, Zimmerman should have waited in his car for the proper authorities to show up. Let them deal with the kid.
    Again, I completely agree. Some people seem to think that if you didn't break any laws then you didn't do anything wrong. I disagree.

So they get to pick and choose between a 17 year old is a juvenile or adult in a certain cases.
    I understand what you are saying but kids as young as 13 or 14 have been tried as adults. That doesn't make them adults. It just means their trials and sentencing are handled the way an adult's trial and sentencing is handled.

Again, I completely agree. Some people seem to think that if you didn't break any laws then you didn't do anything wrong. I disagree.

I understand what you are saying but kids as young as 13 or 14 have been tried as adults. That doesn't make them adults. It just means their trials and sentencing are handled the way an adult's trial and sentencing is handled.
    If they make adult decision to kill or hurt somebody they should be held like adults.

Here's what scares me about this trial and how "off the rails" it has been.....

I'll apply it to a recent ordeal in my own life that i've been churning over in my mind.

A couple days ago i walk outside onto my porch and sit down on the steps to lace up my boots. I notice a car parked a house down with some guys leaning in the window. I'm not watching them, dont even look in their direction, just made a mental note of it. It's a habit. So i'm lacing my boots up when a guy yells out " hey, what's your business cuz ", i dont acknowledge it and dont even look up from lacing my shoes, but in my mind i consider the option that theyre talking to me. Next he says "hey white boy, mind your business" At this point i look up and put my hands on my knees, looking directly at the guy who is now walking towards me. He has his right hand on his pants to hold them up. He walks about 5 yards when the other guys from the car get out behind him and start to follow. At this point, without saying anything, i stand up. For 2 reasons, to look at the other 2 guy's hands and pockets and for easier access to my pistol if needed. I assume that because this person is so aggressive and offended by me being outside that theyre probably doing a drug deal or something, otherwise they would say "hey neighbor" One guy is wearing gym shorts, the other sweat pants, i can see that neither of those guys are carrying weapons, the guy in front has his right hand holding his belt up and hes wearing jeans so im watching his hands since i'm unsure if he's armed. Given the 3v1 scenario, id probably be pretty quick to draw my weapon if they had actually entered my property.

Not a single word comes out my mouth during this entire ordeal. The guy stops and stands there looking at me until one of the guys behind him catches up and motions for him to turn around.

So lets say this guy steps into my yard and approaches me in a threatening manner and i pull out my gun and shoot him.

Based on the methods of the Zimmerman prosecution they would say.....

"i came outside with a loaded gun because i wanted to kill someone, i wouldnt have a loaded gun if i wasnt looking to kill someone"
    "if i didnt have a gun i would have went back in my house and not stayed outside"
    "i only came outside because there were black people outside"
    "i profiled the group of black people and pretended to be a cop"
    "i only thought they were drug dealers because they were black"
    "had i of turned around and went in my house, nobody would have died"
    "i didnt sustain enough damage to feel that my life was being threatened"

This is my interest in this case......... i am highly concerned by the speculation at hand as it pertains to concealed carry.

The issue is people have to be smart enough to understand that protecting your rights in your above scenario, can also lead to abuse of that right.

Knowing that youre a smart guy and you know the law means......you can break the law and get away with it.

Why do you think the old saying of "dead men tell no tales" goes around?

If dude stepped on your property, ALONE, like a foot on your lawn, and you drew down and killed him, under the law, you are perfectly ok. But, could you have diffused the situation? In my mind yes. Retreat into your house with weapon drawn, call LEO, if he kicks down your door FIRE away. If not, let LEO deal with it.

On one hand people can be aggressive and be in the RIGHT, and on the other hand, that gives them false notion that they dont have an obligation to seek a better outcome.
    -www.usedbarcode.net

While I understand your point about people assuming what is in the mind of others, it also disturbs me that your threshold for when it is justified to pull out a gun and shoot someone is so low.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast