Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MoH Receipient Can't Fly A Flag

Latest info regarding the American Legion support, http://www.foxbusiness.com/story/leg...ight-flagpole/

Release the Kracken! Total_Blender's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bu villain View Post
    . People are trying way to hard to find anti-America/Christian shit.

It's sad what passes for news these days.
    Yep, the Fox News mouthbreathers love to jump on any bandwagon issue they can find if they think it's against their idea of Anglo/Christian/hetero/military "America". The same people who are jumping on this issue probably bought flags to hang on their car antenna after 9/11 and left them on until they got faded/jagged/dirty and then fell off.

Its easy for you guys to support the Col. because all you have to do is forward e-mails and join facebook groups. None of you own property in that neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by Type-R View Post
    Every one of these headlines (and the tone of Fox's article on it) make it seem as if the Col. is being prevented from displaying the flag, which is not true. The HOA said he could display a smaller flag from his porch. This is about the flagpole and its impact on property values.

I really hope Obama does not comment on this and make it an issue. I think "Joe the Plumber" and the "beer summit" set the wrong precedent... any moke with a minor grievance can now get the forces of the right-wing blogosphere behind them and eventually get the president's ear.

I'm still waiting for the president to issue a statement about my neighbors at the duplex leaving their cigarette butts all over the place.

When has a flag pole ever decreased property value?

Quote Originally Posted by zspeed24 View Post
    When has a flag pole ever decreased property value?
    In Iraq and Afghanistan maybe

Quote Originally Posted by Total_Blender View Post
    Every one of these headlines (and the tone of Fox's article on it) make it seem as if the Col. is being prevented from displaying the flag, which is not true. The HOA said he could display a smaller flag from his porch. This is about the flagpole and its impact on property values.

I really hope Obama does not comment on this and make it an issue. I think "Joe the Plumber" and the "beer summit" set the wrong precedent... any moke with a minor grievance can now get the forces of the right-wing blogosphere behind them and eventually get the president's ear.

I'm still waiting for the president to issue a statement about my neighbors at the duplex leaving their cigarette butts all over the place.
    I watched Gibbs on TV commenting this, they specificly mentioned that it's silly to not allow him have the flag pole in his yard to properly display the flag he loves and gave so much for

Your duplex doesn't warrent the Presidents attention. Col. Barfoot received his medal from a U.S. President. Different status levels there.

[

Your duplex doesn't warrent the Presidents attention. Col. Barfoot received his medal from a U.S. President. Different status levels there.
    I was being hyperbolic. The president has bigger fish to fry right now than get involved in a dispute between some guy and his HOA.

I really don't see how the Col.'s status as a vet makes him exempt from the rules of his HOA. If they let the Col. have a flagpole, they'll have to let everyone have a flagpole. They might not want their neighborhood to look like the United Nations building.

I was being hyperbolic. The president has bigger fish to fry right now than get involved in a dispute between some guy and his HOA.

I really don't see how the Col.'s status as a vet makes him exempt from the rules of his HOA. If they let the Col. have a flagpole, they'll have to let everyone have a flagpole. They might not want their neighborhood to look like the United Nations building.

What you are saying is if you had done anything anywhere near what he has and simply wanted to display the flag for the country you risked your life for and live in the proper military way you wouldnt put up a fight?

Quote Originally Posted by oneSLOWex View Post
    What you are saying is if you had done anything anywhere near what he has and simply wanted to display the flag for the country you risked your life for and live in the proper military way you wouldnt put up a fight?
    FOR THE LOVE OF JESUS THEY DIDN'T SAY HE CAN"T DISPLAY THE FLAG.

They are just saying he can't display it on a 20 FOOT POLE.

The first article cited in this thread says that there are other homes in Col.'s neighborhood that display their flags as in the photo I posted above. This isn't about patriotism, censorship, honoring veterans, etc etc. Barfoot CAN display the flag.

Its about one man having it out with his HOA about a 20 foot pole in his front yard.

FOR THE LOVE OF JESUS THEY DIDN'T SAY HE CAN"T DISPLAY THE FLAG.

They are just saying he can't display it on a 20 FOOT POLE.

The first article cited in this thread says that there are other homes in Col.'s neighborhood that display their flags as in the photo I posted above. This isn't about patriotism, censorship, honoring veterans, etc etc. Barfoot CAN display the flag.

Its about one man having it out with his HOA about a 20 foot pole in his front yard.
    You didn't answer my question.

I am not trying to say they said he couldn't fly the flag at all....they are trying to make him take it down from that pole. The way he is displaying the flag is the way he was taught to display it.

Senior Member | IA Veteran quickdodgeŽ's Avatar

As moral issue, there should be no fight. What this man has done is worthy of being able to fly the Flag in the fashion he is trying to do.

But at the same time, this man did move into an existing neighborhood, fully aware of it's HOA rules. If he wanted to fly his flag in on a pole like that, maybe he should have moved into a house that would allow it.

Now if this ordinance had been put in place AFTER he had already had his flagpole erected, then you have yourself a legit fight.

If he does win this fight, then good for him. It is kind of a stupid rule to have in effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Type-Rawr
    Perfect example of why I..... ..... and will never take part of any HOA
    You live in an HOA-governed community you will. Later, QD.
    FOR MORE INFO, CLICK THE PIC!!!

Quote Originally Posted by quickdodgeŽ View Post
    As moral issue, there should be no fight. What this man has done is worthy of being able to fly the Flag in the fashion he is trying to do.

But at the same time, this man did move into an existing neighborhood, fully aware of it's HOA rules. If he wanted to fly his flag in on a pole like that, maybe he should have moved into a house that would allow it.

Now if this ordinance had been put in place AFTER he had already had his flagpole erected, then you have yourself a legit fight.

If he does win this fight, then good for him. It is kind of a stupid rule to have in effect.

You live in an HOA-governed community you will. Later, QD.

There is nothing in their rules saying anything about flagpoles....this whole thing is one person having an issue with it and thinking they can run things how they want it.

In December 2009, the homeowners' association (HOA) of the Sussex Square, where Barfoot lives in Henrico County, Virginia, ordered him to remove the flagpole from which he flies the American flag. The HOA retained Coates & Davenport to help enforce their order.[1] The association's bylaws do not forbid flagpoles, but the HOA ruled Barfoot, aged 90, would not be allowed to use it "for aesthetic reasons". Barfoot is contesting the order.[8][9]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_T._Barfoot

You didn't answer my question.
    He doesn't live on a military base or a courthouse square, he lives in a neighborhood with a HOA. If he doesn't like how they run the neighborhood, he can convince his neighbors to remove them, or he can move to a place without a HOA. If he wants to raise a flag military style, maybe he can do it at a public park, a town square, an American Legion, a post office, a school, or a government building where having a large flagpole is practical.

He knew what the rules were, he followed them, but when his request was denied he took it upon himself to do what he wanted anyway. Now he and his internet supporters are asking for special treatment. Epic meh.

This is not to say that I support HOA's, actually I despise them. But I recognize that they do serve a purpose and that there are people who choose to live that way. The Col. himself probably takes pride in knowing he lives in an area where people don't leave their X-mas lights up all year or have cars on blocks in their yards.

He doesn't live on a military base or a courthouse square, he lives in a neighborhood with a HOA. If he doesn't like how they run the neighborhood, he can convince his neighbors to remove them, or he can move to a place without a HOA.

He knew what the rules were, he followed them, but when his request was denied he took it upon himself to do what he wanted anyway. Now he and his internet supporters are asking for special treatment. Epic meh.

This is not to say that I support HOA's, actually I despise them. But I recognize that they do serve a purpose and that there are people who choose to live that way. The Col. himself probably takes pride in knowing he lives in an area where people don't leave their X-mas lights up all year or have cars on blocks in their yards.

The thing is there is/was no rules saying anything about him having a flagpole. So really, they cant do much about it.

There is nothing in their rules saying anything about flagpoles....this whole thing is one person having an issue with it and thinking they can run things how they want it.

In December 2009, the homeowners' association (HOA) of the Sussex Square, where Barfoot lives in Henrico County, Virginia, ordered him to remove the flagpole from which he flies the American flag. The HOA retained Coates & Davenport to help enforce their order.[1] The association's bylaws do not forbid flagpoles, but the HOA ruled Barfoot, aged 90, would not be allowed to use it "for aesthetic reasons". Barfoot is contesting the order.[8][9]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_T._Barfoot
    Kind of a sticky situation, then (if it isn't specific). One way to really check it out is to see the by-laws. See what it says. And how it explains it in them. I understand the not wanting flagpoles because after a while, most of them tend to start looking like shit. But if this rule isn't too specific, then it needs to be to prevent future occurrences. Later, QD.

The thing is there is/was no rules saying anything about him having a flagpole. So really, they cant do much about it.
    He made his request, and I'm assuming the HOA has the authority to deny requests on "aesthetic reasons" somewhere in his contract with them. Maybe its a Catch 22 but it is what it is. Thats how I will interpret it until its proven otherwise, anyway. The point of it is that his neighbors at the HOA voted against it.

Like all "internet hero of the day v/s _____" situations, the guy will have his day in court, and he will probably be forgotten about by his internet supporters by the time the outcome is decided.

I understand the not wanting flagpoles because after a while, most of them tend to start looking like shit. .
    Thats why you mainly see flagpoles at public-owned areas like gov't buildings and you don't see them at private residences. The upkeep is just not practical for a homeowner. Most places that have flagpoles have it in their budgets to repair/replace them when they start looking butt-y, the average homeowner, not so much.

he will probably be forgotten about by his internet supporters by the time the outcome is decided.
    By some, probably, doubtful that most will forget seeing how there are only 92 Medal of Honor recipients currently alive. The way the current war is going we probably won't see anymore "living" recipients due to the biased process that we have today where we are stuck in a trend of only awarding these medals to service members who are KIA. Handfuls of people warrented the MoH recently but were downgraded and it's beleived because they were not KIA.

If I recall I don't beleive there's been a living recipient since Vietnam.

This guy made headlines, probably the first in a long time. I'm sure his name will be around for awhile.

I'm sure his name will be around for awhile.
    Once this is over, TB is right. It'll be pretty much old news and gone. A few people here and there may talk about it, but it won't be water cooler or newsroom talk anymore. Gone with the wind. Later, QD.

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Today, Rep. Howard P. "Buck" McKeon (R-CA) and Republican Whip Eric Cantor (R-VA) introduced a resolution, H. Res. 952, allowing Congressional Medal of Honor recipients to properly display the United States flag on their property at all times.

http://www.wric.com/Global/story.asp?S=11643759

Im very glad to hear that the HOA has backed down from such a ridiculous issue

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Today, Rep. Howard P. "Buck" McKeon (R-CA) and Republican Whip Eric Cantor (R-VA) introduced a resolution, H. Res. 952, allowing Congressional Medal of Honor recipients to properly display the United States flag on their property at all times.
    That's weird. They, along with every other American, is already allowed to do this. How is that new or news? Later, QD.

That's weird. They, along with every other American, is already allowed to do this. How is that new or news? Later, QD.
    People still aren't getting it that this is not about Col. Barfoot's right to display the flag. Reading comprehension is a skill most of us learn in grades 2-5... why does it escape some people so badly.

People still aren't getting it that this is not about Col. Barfoot's right to display the flag. Reading comprehension is a skill most of us learn in grades 2-5... why does it escape some people so badly.
    You need to read alittle more clearly,

When the term "display properly" is used that doesn't mean hang the flag off your porch from some tac nailed rack the HOA thinks is pretty. Properly displaying the colors regards the correct manner in which the national ensign (flag) is flown. The national ensign (flag) does not dip or lower on a proper display, only organizational colors dip/lower when displayed along side the national ensign (flag).

Military bases, national cemetaries, memorials, all have flag POLES in the ground, not pretty little banner holders nailed to a rotting porch.

That must not have been covered in your school since it clearly escaped you multiple times. The issue wasn't about having a flag, correct and it wasn't because Barfoot just wanted to have a pole in his yard, he wanted to display the national ensign properly because back in his day before any of us were born that is how things were done in this country. People would have been shot in the face for burning a flag or something of that manner back then. Now half the youth in this country can't even say the pledge let alone remember who the 13th president was or who signed the declaration of independance. If you ask them who created MySpace or Twitter they could probably tell you.

[quote=Type-R;38590573]
    Military bases, national cemetaries, memorials, all have flag POLES in the ground, not pretty little banner holders nailed to a rotting porch.
    .[/quote]

As I said above, these places:

1.) Don't have to worry about their flagpoles having an effect on their neighbor's property values.

2.) Have the manpower and budget to repair/replace the flagpole when it starts looking funky.

And are you really saying people who hang the flag from their porches are doing it wrong? Tell me you didn't just go there.

http://www.usflag.org/uscode36.html#173

UNITED STATES CODE

TITLE 36

CHAPTER 10

§173. Display and use of flag by civilians; codification of rules and customs; definition

The following codification of existing rules and customs pertaining to the display and use of the flag of the United States of America is established for the use of such civilians or civilian groups or organizations as may not be required to conform with regulations promulgated by one or more executive departments of the Government of the United States. The flag of the United States for the purpose of this chapter shall be defined according to sections 1 and 2 of title 4 and Executive Order 10834 issued pursuant thereto.

So civillians are exempt from having to display the flag from a flagpole.
    Public institutions, however, are required to have flagpoles.
    §174. Time and occasions for display

• (e) Display on or near administration building of public institutions The flag should be displayed daily on or near the main administration building of every public institution.

Quote Originally Posted by Type R
    Military bases, national cemetaries, memorials, all have flag POLES in the ground
    These places are public institutions, and falling under Title 36 ch. 10
    §174 subsection E they are required to have flagpoles. As I said above, the US flag code permits civillians to display the flag in other ways than hoisting it up a flagpole.

Its not that kids aren't learning enough about the flag in the schools, its that the damn schools are failing at teaching the kids how to read.

As I said above, these places:

1.) Don't have to worry about their flagpoles having an effect on their neighbor's property values.

2.) Have the manpower and budget to repair/replace the flagpole when it starts looking funky.

And are you really saying people who hang the flag from their porches are doing it wrong? Tell me you didn't just go there.
    Its not that kids aren't learning enough about the flag in the schools, its that the damn schools are failing at teaching the kids how to read.
    Lolol. This dude can't escape. He doesn't realize that every time he thinks he has you, the the return fire is greater than the initial volley. Lolol. Later, QD.

I believe what he meant was thats how he was taught to display the flag, so thats how he is going to want to display it. To him, hanging it from his porch is not the proper way. Quoting something you found on google does not change how this guy was raised or the proper way the US Army showed him how to display it. None of this is about some rule book in which the rule for a flagpole was never there and it is not about a law either. This old man did some great things for our country and the ones he was protecting during the war. Are we really that worried about a flag pole in his front yard in which he wants to display the flag for our country in a way he knows as the correct way? You can go look some more stuff up wherever it is you found that. All you are doing is arguing because you have nothing better to do.

Are we really that worried about a flag pole in his front yard in which he wants to display the flag for our country in a way he knows as the correct way.
    It has no bearing on me. But for the neighbors that may want to sell the house in the future might have hard time getting a good deal on their house if a potential buyer comes along and sees a rusted out pole sticking out of the neighbors yard.

I'm just looking at both sides of this, rationally and morally. It's just a touchy situation all around if you think about it. Later, QD.

It has no bearing on me. But for the neighbors that may want to sell the house in the future might have hard time getting a good deal on their house if a potential buyer comes along and sees a rusted out pole sticking out of the neighbors yard.

I'm just looking at both sides of this, rationally and morally. It's just a touchy situation all around if you think about it. Later, QD.
    Oh I know it is. The guy may take care of his pole (that sounds so bad), no one really knows. I mean hes 90, I doubt he works and probably doesnt do anything during the day but sit on his front porch like most old men do.

Oh I know it is. The guy may take care of his pole (that sounds so bad), no one really knows. I mean hes 90, I doubt he works and probably doesnt do anything during the day but sit on his front porch like most old men do.
    That's what I'm thinking. He may take care of it (or have it taken care of), but at his age, he doesn't have long and you never know who's going to be in there afterward. I wonder if that's one thing the HOA talked about amongst themselves while agreeing to let him have it. Thinking he won't be around much longer and when he does depart, they'll remove it.

And I hope I can just be old and sit on my front porch like that. I plan to be anyway. We have a 1886 house in TN at the base of a section of the Blue Ridge Mtns with an awesome front porch to sit out on. Lolol. Later, QD.

That's what I'm thinking. He may take care of it (or have it taken care of), but at his age, he doesn't have long and you never know who's going to be in there afterward. I wonder if that's one thing the HOA talked about amongst themselves while agreeing to let him have it. Thinking he won't be around much longer and when he does depart, they'll remove it.

And I hope I can just be old and sit on my front porch like that. I plan to be anyway. We have a 1886 house in TN at the base of a section of the Blue Ridge Mtns with an awesome front porch to sit out on. Lolol. Later, QD.
    They may have let him have it because of that or to get the media and everyone else off their backs.

That would be the life man....its SO NICE up there!

Fuck HOA's... why pay a mortgage and still have someone tell you what you can and cant do on your property?...

Quote Originally Posted by Hektik View Post
    Fuck HOA's... why pay a mortgage and still have someone tell you what you can and cant do on your property?...
    Exactly. That's why you DO NOT move into an HOA neighborhood.

That would be the life man....its SO NICE up there!
    I know man. My sister and I are the only ones NOT from this part of TN. I mean we are talking 1/2 mile from Virginia and 2 miles from N. Carolina. That's where this is. We have so much land up there, man. My Mom is heading up there in about 2/3 years for retirement. The Blue Ridge runs right through our land. It's about 1/2 mile from the back door through a pasture. Later, QD.

Quote Originally Posted by Hektik View Post
    Some people see HOA's as a way to ensure that their property value doesn't drop. Imagine if Joe Dirt moves in next door and brings a few automotive "yard ornaments" with him... some people want no part of that and will do what they feel is necessary to protect their way of life. If you don't like it you don't have to live in a place like that. It wouldn't be my choice either.

Quote Originally Posted by slowlex
    Quoting something you found on google does not change how this guy was raised or the proper way the US Army showed him how to display it. None of this is about some rule book in which the rule for a flagpole was never there and it is not about a law either
    As far as "things I found on google," thats from the United States Code. Which constitutes the laws and freedoms Col. Barfoot himself fought to protect.

The HOA legally has the upper hand here, but kudos to them if they give in and decide to let the Col. have his flagpole. I don't see that it was necessary for Congress to act on this issue, but I guess the GOP is pretty much grabbing at any straw they can get to stall the healthcare debate.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12