Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MoH Receipient Can't Fly A Flag

Default MoH Receipient Can't Fly A Flag

Col. Van T. Barfoot, a local Medal of Honor winner, is under the gun from his Henrico County community's homeowner association.

In a five-paragraph letter to Barfoot that he received yesterday, Barfoot is being ordered to remove a flagpole from his yard. The decorated veteran of three wars, now 90 years old, raises the American flag every morning on the pole, then lowers and folds the flag at dusk each day in a three-corner military fashion.

In a priority mail letter, the Coates & Davenport law firm in Richmond is ordering Barfoot to remove the pole by 5 p.m. Friday or face "legal action being brought to enforce the Covenants and Restrictions against you." The letter states that Barfoot will be subject to paying all legal fees and costs in any successful legal proceeding pursued by the homeowner association's board.

Barfoot lives in the Sussex Square community in far western Henrico; its board of directors rejected a plea from Barfoot in July to approve the pole, disallowing the fixture on aesthetic grounds.

There is no provision in the community's rules expressly forbidding flagpoles, Barfoot's daughter said. But she said the board ruled against her father's fixture and ordered it removed in July, deciding that free-standing flag poles are not aesthetically appropriate. Short flag stands attached to porches dot the community.

"Dad sort of feels like this is the end," said Margaret Nicholls, Barfoot's daughter, who lives a few doors away. But she said this morning that she and her husband are attempting to generate support for her father's cause, a flag-raising rite that he has undertaken for most of his life.

Barfoot received the Medal of Honor on the battlefield during World War II in Italy and fought as well in the Korean and Vietnam wars. A portion of a highway in rural Mississippi, his native state, was named in his honor this fall. A building at McGuire Veterans Hospital in Richmond also carries his name.

Barfoot began regularly flying the flag on Veteran's Day this year despite the Sussex Square board's decision.

He said in November that not flying the flag would be a sacrilege to him.

"There's never been a day in my life or a place I've lived in my life that you couldn't fly the American flag," he said.

For more on this story, see tomorrow's Richmond Times-Dispatch.
    Article, click here

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/ne...201/309031/P0/

Here's his bio, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_T._Barfoot

I'm going to write those faggots a letter

UPDATE 12/02/09 10:10pm

Pressure needs to be put on the Sussex Square home owners association to reverse their decision. Colonel Barfoot is a hero who fought for this country and the right to fly the American flag proudly. He even has a highway named in his honor in Mississippi

Let the HOA know how you feel about them deciding that the American flag should not be flown in their community.

Contact Glenn Wilson, president of the Sussex Square Service HOA at (804) 741-9160 and their lawyers at Coates & Davenport, P.C. at (804) 285-7000 or toll-free at (800) 450-8311 and let them know we will not tolerate this travesty.
    Here is the home phone number for Sussex Square Service HOA president:

GLENN WILSON
    11800 N Downs Sq
    Henrico, VA 23238-3474
    (804) 741-9160

I personally spoke with him and confirmed that he’s the HOA president. I told him that they need to reverse their position on the flag, he thanked me and I hung up.

Second Lieutenant Barfoot's official Medal of Honor citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of life above and beyond the call of duty on 23 May 1944, near Carano, Italy. With his platoon heavily engaged during an assault against forces well entrenched on commanding ground, 2d Lt. Barfoot (then Tech. Sgt.) moved off alone upon the enemy left flank. He crawled to the proximity of 1 machinegun nest and made a direct hit on it with a hand grenade, killing 2 and wounding 3 Germans. He continued along the German defense line to another machinegun emplacement, and with his tommygun killed 2 and captured 3 soldiers. Members of another enemy machinegun crew then abandoned their position and gave themselves up to Sgt. Barfoot. Leaving the prisoners for his support squad to pick up, he proceeded to mop up positions in the immediate area, capturing more prisoners and bringing his total count to 17. Later that day, after he had reorganized his men and consolidated the newly captured ground, the enemy launched a fierce armored counterattack directly at his platoon positions. Securing a bazooka, Sgt. Barfoot took up an exposed position directly in front of 3 advancing Mark VI tanks. From a distance of 75 yards his first shot destroyed the track of the leading tank, effectively disabling it, while the other 2 changed direction toward the flank. As the crew of the disabled tank dismounted, Sgt. Barfoot killed 3 of them with his tommygun. He continued onward into enemy terrain and destroyed a recently abandoned German fieldpiece with a demolition charge placed in the breech. While returning to his platoon position, Sgt. Barfoot, though greatly fatigued by his Herculean efforts, assisted 2 of his seriously wounded men 1,700 yards to a position of safety. Sgt. Barfoot's extraordinary heroism, demonstration of magnificent valor, and aggressive determination in the face of pointblank fire are a perpetual inspiration to his fellow soldiers.

WOW.

this guy is a hero and they wont let him fly the effin American Flag, thats crazy talk.

im going to call asap in the morning. and pass the number along.

Quote Originally Posted by thecrazyone View Post
    this guy is a hero and they wont let him fly the effin American Flag, thats crazy talk.
    This is the kind of guy most kids want to be when they are young and watching old war movies. Words can hardly describe his actions.

Banned

wow.......
    nemesis950psi 1:47 pm : but id hit a tree with a hole if i was single

Banned

my dad was a pilot in the USAF during vietnam. If this happened to him, I would personally beat the shit out of the person that opposed this. absolute bullshit
    nemesis950psi 1:47 pm : but id hit a tree with a hole if i was single

Wow, can't even fly the American Flag in AMERICA, wtf
    IA Rules doesn't allow these images in sigs

- IA Mgmt

just goes to show what this country is coming too
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan®
    Nah not even. theres not enough alcohol on the planet that would convince me to bang that chick.I wouldn't hit that with Magic Johnson's dick.....on second thought
    Epic Foxbody Thread Crew Member #10

These bastards are going to get a call from me, bright and early.

How dare they tell this guy he can't fly our American flag? This gentleman deserves our thanks!

-jonathan
    [/URL]
    Jesus Christ is my Savior

un-fucking-believable. Id tell the H.O.A, if they'd be up for a rousing game of capture the flag, to come try and take it down and they can have it.

NIKON Squad member 01

I HAVE SUBS AND CAMERAS AND LENSES FO SALE
    OF*C
    OEMFitment Crew Memeber 01

Quote Originally Posted by redGT View Post
    just goes to show what this country is coming too
    for real.....................fucking comies

Release the Kracken! Total_Blender's Avatar

1.) This is a Homeowner's association and not any sort of government. Sadly, shit like this is what you have to deal with when you live in places that have HOA's.

2.) They're not telling him he can't display the flag, they're telling him that he can't display the flag on a giant metal pole on his property.

3.) He erected the flagpole AFTER the HOA's decision. I think the page you linked to has been updated since you posted it, because it now says this:

Quote Originally Posted by article
    Tonight, the Sussex Square Homeowners Association issued a statement reiterating its position that Barfoot directly violated the association board's denial of his request to erect a flagpole.

"This is not about the American flag. This about a flagpole," the statement reads.

Barfoot lives in the Sussex Square community in far western Henrico; its board of directors rejected a plea from Barfoot in July to approve the pole, disallowing the fixture on aesthetic grounds
    So he put up the pole AFTER his request was denied. I agree with you guys that the HOA doesn't have the moral authority to tell the Col. that he can't display the flag any way he damn well pleases, but the issue at hand is property values, which would plummet if everyone in the neighborhood had a 90 foot metal pole in their front yard. The article says that many houses in the neighborhood display smaller flags affixed to their porches, so to say that Col. Barfoot "can't fly a flag" is an untruth.

4.) He's having his day in court. If he doesn't win, he can rally his neighbors to remove the HOA. Or he can relocate to a non HOA neighborhood where he can fly his flag all year and leave his X-mas lights up all year too if he wants.

Quote Originally Posted by Total_Blender View Post
    I think the page you linked to has been updated since you posted it, because it now says this:
    That is new info

Perfect example of why I live near a military base and will never take part of any HOA

I emailed this info to Fox news early this morning, looks like it made it through

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,579147,00.html

and the funny thing about this and HOA's is there is almost certainly a house down the street from this guy that has 20ft high grass that hasnt been cut in years

NIKON Squad member 01

I HAVE SUBS AND CAMERAS AND LENSES FO SALE
    OF*C
    OEMFitment Crew Memeber 01

Here's the Fox news poll, http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2009/.../#commentCount

Col. Van Barfoot - Come on, homeowners, he's more than earned the right to fly the American flag, especially on his own property. 97% (26,201 votes)

The Homeowners Assoc. – Sorry, colonel, but rules are rules, and in a democracy the majority rules. 2% (626 votes)

Undecided <1% (72 votes)

Total Votes: 26,899

Oh great...now everyone is trying to twist this into some fight for American values. HOAs always make all sorts of restrictive rules about what you can and can't put in your yard (putting a flag on something usually doesn't make you exempt from the rules). THIS IS NOT NEWS!

I just saw something today about a boycott of GAP because their ads aren't Christmasy enough (although they even specifically mention "Christmas" in the ads). People are trying way to hard to find anti-America/Christian shit.

It's sad what passes for news these days.

He sacrificed a lot for this country and the flag he is trying to fly in HIS front yard. Its not like he has old broken down cars/trucks and dogs running around everywhere. I know there are certain rules for neighborhoods with a HOA...but once in a while you have to put the rulebook down and have a heart. If any of you arguing the HOA BS had been in his shoes and been through what he has....you would be thinking differently.

Quote Originally Posted by bu villain View Post
    THIS IS NOT NEWS!

roughly 30,000 people thought it was news and voted in favor, not to mention it's on the main page of Fox news

It appears that the media attention and voice of the people has done some good thus far

The HOA has extended the deadline to remove the flagpole by one week. The original deadline was set for 12/3/09 at 5:00 p.m.

News

And this is the best part of it all,

Barfoot, a veteran of three wars who says he has flown the American flag for most of his life, was ordered earlier this week to remove the pole because the association had rejected his request to erect it and he constructed it anyhow.

The staff of U.S. Senator Mark Warner, D-Va., has intervened to help negotiate a settlement in the dispute.

Oh great...now everyone is trying to twist this into some fight for American values. HOAs always make all sorts of restrictive rules about what you can and can't put in your yard (putting a flag on something usually doesn't make you exempt from the rules). THIS IS NOT NEWS!

I just saw something today about a boycott of GAP because their ads aren't Christmasy enough (although they even specifically mention "Christmas" in the ads). People are trying way to hard to find anti-America/Christian shit.

No, it's sad for what passes for people these days. MORALS, people need them.

LizBiz eats Carpet! bdydrpdmazda's Avatar

some peoples kids have no fucking pride in their country

I called my local radio station and they are talking about it now

You can listen to it live right now, http://carolinaspurerock.com/Listen-...-WXQRX/2188009

Another thing...Its not like he is leaving it out there 24/7 to get weathered and torn to pieces. He takes it down and folds it EVERY evening and puts it back up every morning...so its in good shape and not all torn up and faded.

Quote Originally Posted by Type-R View Post
    I called my local radio station and they are talking about it now

You can listen to it live right now, http://carolinaspurerock.com/Listen-...-WXQRX/2188009
    Its awesome what you are doing letting all these people know about this man

I will rep you as soon as possible.

lol, i would never think about a guy flying the flag, I havnt seen the pole but im sure its only a standard 20 ft pole. Most poles i have seen at a home were no taller.
    www.MSSRACING.com - 99 Civic CX - Best ET: 9.53 / Best MPH: 160 - Competition Clutch - Arias Pistons - Coatings M.D. - Mahle-Clevite - ebtec - AHobbs Racing - JKOBD - TDC Performance
    Daily D: 2007 Dodge 2500 MEGA CAB, Cummins Turbo Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by oneSLOWex View Post
    Its awesome what you are doing letting all these people know about this man

I will rep you as soon as possible.

Thanks man, I heard today from some of my family in a few states that saw the story on tv on Fox news last night

WASHINGTON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The American Legion has joined the fight being waged by a Medal of Honor recipient against a Virginia HOA
    Looks like some other vets are standing behind him on this

Facebook seems to be reporting that the HOA is backing down from the issue

roughly 30,000 people thought it was news and voted in favor, not to mention it's on the main page of Fox news
    Have you ever looked up how many people read articles about Jon & Kate plus 8 controversy. Are you really suggesting that it is therefore important news?

Have you ever looked up how many people read articles about Jon & Kate plus 8 controversy. Are you really suggesting that it is therefore important news?
    It is important news that people actually care about what they are trying to do to this man. This is not about anything else.

Are you seriously trying to compare a horrible TV show to this?

You might as well try and compare google website traffic statistics to this then, makes absolutely no sense. You are trying to raise your opinion that this is of no importance to you, fine... don't post here and stop paying attention to the subject. Those of us who care will continue to support.

It is important news that people actually care about what they are trying to do to this man. This is not about anything else.
    I'm glad people care about someone else but I just don't like that people take so much concern over the size of a flagpole someone can have in some neighborhood when I feel there are so many more important causes they could take up. They aren't even saying he can't fly a flag, just not a 20ft tall pole!!!

I'm glad people care about someone else but I just don't like that people take so much concern over the size of a flagpole someone can have in some neighborhood when I feel there are so many more important causes they could take up. They aren't even saying he can't fly a flag, just not a 20ft tall pole!!!
    Its about what he has done for this country. Its just a fucking flagpole for gods sake. This is one of those fine lines where it comes a time to put up the rule book and use your heart.

Are you seriously trying to compare a horrible TV show to this?

You might as well try and compare google website traffic statistics to this then, makes absolutely no sense. You are trying to raise your opinion that this is of no importance to you, fine... don't post here and stop paying attention to the subject. Those of us who care will continue to support.
    No I am not comparing it to a horrible TV show. I am saying that alot of people being interested in it doesn't make it important as a national issue.

This is of great importance to me! I desparately wish people would show even half this concern on truly important problems.

Its about what he has done for this country. Its just a fucking flagpole for gods sake. This is one of those fine lines where it comes a time to put up the rule book and use your heart.
    If it were my neighborhood I would be one of the people complaining like crazy too, but its not my neighborhood and I respect a neighborhoods right to decide their own standards.

If it were my neighborhood I would be one of the people complaining like crazy too, but its not my neighborhood and I respect a neighborhoods right to decide their own standards.
    So after all the guy has done....you would treat him like nothing over a flagpole? Come on man! If it were shit cars, trash or dogs....I could see it....Its an old man who stuck his neck out there on more than one occasion for his country and you cant look over some stupid ass rules and use better judgement?

Did you not read my last post. I stated that I think he should be able to fly his flag on his giant 20ft pole. However, I don't think its my decision or the rest of the country's decision to make.

Everyone who is supporting him has a good heart but this is way overblown. If someone insulted him for his service and I was next to them I would punch them in the face but I don't think a national outcry over it would be necessary.

Did you not read my last post. I stated that I think he should be able to fly his flag on his giant 20ft pole. However, I don't think its my decision or the rest of the country's decision to make.

Everyone who is supporting him has a good heart but this is way overblown. If someone insulted him for his service and I was next to them I would punch them in the face but I don't think a national outcry over it would be necessary.
    If thats what it takes to change the minds of the heartless people in that HOA....then yes it is necessary. I would want the same done for me as Im sure you would want the same if you were him.

yea thats pretty fucked up

Quote Originally Posted by 98blackcivic View Post
    yea thats pretty fucked up

call me we todd itt but I dont think I have seen this posted in here yet...

Flag controversy

In December 2009, the homeowners' association (HOA) of the Sussex Square, where Barfoot lives in Henrico County, Virginia, ordered him to remove the flagpole from which he flies the American flag. The HOA retained Coates & Davenport to help enforce their order.[1] The association's bylaws do not forbid flagpoles, but the HOA ruled Barfoot, aged 90, would not be allowed to use it "for aesthetic reasons". Barfoot is contesting the order.[8][9]

taken from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_T._Barfoot

Yeah that was mentioned in a few of the links I posted. So many people are quick to jump the gun and point the finger at Col. Barfoot for "breaking the rules" yet fail to see the point that is trying to be made of fighting a stupid and ignorant decision from a biased HOA board.

There was nothing in the rules in regards to flag poles at all, they just don't like his flag pole so they want him to remove it which is where they used the "aesthetic" category to try and win their battle against him, that's it. As we've all pointed out, it's silly and disrespectful to such a hero of this country.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast