Thread: Georgia Gubernatorial Race

Default Georgia Gubernatorial Race

I just wanted to see who everyone is planning to vote for to be our next governor.

Me personally, I am going for John Oxendine.

He's conservative, very pro 2nd amendment, and I can state that the man has personally helped me out several times.

The way I look at it, I'm not anyone special and he still helps out and does what he says he's going to do for me, so I know he will be great for Georgia.

Release the Kracken! Total_Blender's Avatar

I can attest that Oxendine is good to deal with personally, and I voted for him for insurance commissioner in 2006. But given his proposed policies on taxation, I wouldn't vote him for Governor.

As for Roy Barnes, I'm on the fence. I support him on everything but his education policy. HOPE is great and I'm sure he will fight to keep it, but at the k-12 level all he's done is add more standardized tests and eliminate teacher tenure... which protects teachers from losing their jobs for unspecified reasons. Tenure allows teachers to teach controversial science, sex-ed, etc without fear of losing their jobs.

Shirley Franklin... no. Just no.

I guess anybody would be better than Sonny though. He's part of the reason I'm underpaid and I can't afford private health insurance.

[QUOTE=Total_Blender]I can attest that Oxendine is good to deal with personally, and I voted for him for insurance commissioner in 2006. QUOTE]

I agree, I actually work in Insurance and in my field, he's a God-send

I havent given it much thought yet as the race really hasnt gotten into swing yet. I will start looking into the serious contenders a couple months before the election.

Certified Gearhead

Quote Originally Posted by Total_Blender
    I can attest that Oxendine is good to deal with personally, and I voted for him for insurance commissioner in 2006. But given his proposed policies on taxation, I wouldn't vote him for Governor.

As for Roy Barnes, I'm on the fence. I support him on everything but his education policy. HOPE is great and I'm sure he will fight to keep it, but at the k-12 level all he's done is add more standardized tests and eliminate teacher tenure... which protects teachers from losing their jobs for unspecified reasons. Tenure allows teachers to teach controversial science, sex-ed, etc without fear of losing their jobs.

Shirley Franklin... no. Just no.

I guess anybody would be better than Sonny though. He's part of the reason I'm underpaid and I can't afford private health insurance.
    What are his proposed policies on taxation?

Release the Kracken! Total_Blender's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jorgen
    What are his proposed policies on taxation?
    "Fair" tax. (I know you guys are all now shooting your guns in the air to celebrate)

Not just Fair Tax...

Copied from his website...

"We will start by totally scrapping the current Georgia tax code and developing a modern, 21st century revenue code for operating state government; one that is based on a solid conservative, free enterprise philosophy, cuts out those functions best managed by the private sector, and has no income tax."

bump