Thread: Motorcycles

You need HD 2 see me

Default Motorcycles

So me and one of my homeboys are deciding to get motorcycle this summer we both signed up for the saftey class......... a friend from work told me for a starter bike to get a Ninja zx 6r or a gsx r 600 or 750 ... what kind of bikes would you guys suggest as a starter bike..... LMK

Starter bikes don't include 600cc inline fours. Look into a GS500 or Ninja 250/500s. A step up from those are SV650s which are excellent bikes that you wont grow out of as fast. I started on one, and which I still had it

Senior Member | IA Veteran quickdodgeŽ's Avatar

Don't you know there is a MOTORCYCLE section on this site? Later, QD.
    FOR MORE INFO, CLICK THE PIC!!!

Quote Originally Posted by slow_hatch
    Starter bikes don't include 600cc inline fours. Look into a GS500 or Ninja 250/500s. A step up from those are SV650s which are excellent bikes that you wont grow out of as fast. I started on one, and which I still had it
    Someone told me the samething. I don't have that kind of money to buy 3 different bikes. I was thinking of starting out on a R6 myself.

Quote Originally Posted by twinj
    Someone told me the samething. I don't have that kind of money to buy 3 different bikes. I was thinking of starting out on a R6 myself.
    Go for it. Do you have any previous riding experience??

Senior Member | IA Veteran Elbow's Avatar

I own a 2008 Ninja 250, FUN little bike. Not the fastest straight line, but in the curves you can learn a lot. And all the basics.

Go for it. Do you have any previous riding experience??
    Lmao, None at all.

Quote Originally Posted by twinj
    Lmao, None at all.
    Scweet, hell might as well get a 1000 then. Seriously though, if this is your FIRST bike consider starting small and progressing from there. If you buy used and find good deals you won't be out any more money.

Quote Originally Posted by simontibbett
    I own a 2008 Ninja 250, FUN little bike. Not the fastest straight line, but in the curves you can learn a lot. And all the basics.
    i agree, its a 4 stroke and it has taken the place of the sv650 for best learner bike.

+ its cheap,

but before you buy the bike, i would plan on spending the money on looking like a power ranger, thats what ill have to protect myself.

1. Helmet - (No DUH)

2. Gloves - if you fall, you try to brace with your hands, so obviously protect them.

3. Boots - If you fall without boots, you can snap your ankle and surgery might not save it.

4. Body suit - protect yourself from getting bacon everywhere else.

GOOD GEAR IS IMPORTANT!

For the bike, Some frame sliders are good and cheap

Last, learn to maintenance it, far more important than a car.

Certified Gearhead

Even the great Valentino Rossi had to start small.

yea an inline four 600cc sportbike is definitely not a "Starter" or beginner bike, unless you have a death wish. Go for the GS500 or the new Ninja 250. The new ninja 250 is a good looking bike, much better looking than the ninja 500, which has looked the same for 20 years. Other than that, you may consider an older CBR600 F2 or F3. They are not nearly as powerful as newer bikes, and have less chance of getting away from you. They are still fast, but not like a newer CBR600RR or ZX6R.

Most people think they can jump on a GSXR 600 for the first time and ride like a champ. People who think like that end up getting hurt or killed. Start small and move up.
    Land Rover LR3 HSE

yep bandit's, ninja 250's, sv650's are among the highets rated for STARTER bikes.....I started off with a 2002 Honda cbr 600 F4I and crashed the sh*t out of it because I felt uncomfortable with the weight, height , and power .....to me getting a bike like I did to start off on is like getting a ferrari for your very first car and learning how to drive on it.....start small, get used to riding, and move up accordingly....and MOST IMPORTANT, have *FULL* riding gear at all times ( I have some pretty scars, I wish I didnt)

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo Terrance
    So me and one of my homeboys are deciding to get motorcycle this summer we both signed up for the saftey class......... a friend from work told me for a starter bike to get a Ninja zx 6r or a gsx r 600 or 750 ... what kind of bikes would you guys suggest as a starter bike..... LMK
    Those aren't good first bikes unless you have a death wish.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo Terrance
    Oh and you may want to consider some new "homeboys" if that is what they suggest for a first time rider.

You need HD 2 see me

Oh and you may want to consider some new "homeboys" if that is what they suggest for a first time rider.
    Two have already been riding for about a year... but my other friend thats tryin to learn want a CBR 600...

Certified Gearhead

My dad told me time and time again I should get a 500cc or lower as a starter bike. My first bike was a ZX6-R...I believe as long as you have good judgment and discipline you could get a 600...but it really isn't for most ppl. Make sure you get a used bike or somethin cuz as a first bike, you'll definitely drop it a few times, I did!

Certified Gearhead Smittie61984's Avatar

Stock 600cc sportbikes are spitting out 120hp to the rear. I think your late 90s early 2000 R1s where putting down 120-140 to the rear. New 600cc sport bikes are stupid fast. So you aren't going to get bored with it and if you do then go do one of those "Ride Alongs" where they'll get a profesional rider to ride you around Road Atlanta on one. Once you finish crapping your pants you'll hae a new respect.

And don't worry about your buddy's getting a faster bike. Becuase honestly the best feeling you get (And I get with my crappy 77rwhp F3) is blowing buy people in the mountians on brand new GSXR1000s, Busas, and even the 600s. Of course when some old fart comes blowing by me on a bagged out V-strom with his old lady on the back then I feel like a *****.

I started on a 1994 Yamaha SecaII that I got for $1500.

You need HD 2 see me

Quote Originally Posted by Axon360
    My dad told me time and time again I should get a 500cc or lower as a starter bike. My first bike was a ZX6-R...I believe as long as you have good judgment and discipline you could get a 600...but it really isn't for most ppl. Make sure you get a used bike or somethin cuz as a first bike, you'll definitely drop it a few times, I did!
    yea thats why i wanna zx 6r.... most ppl start on them gixxer 600's so ill just go for it...... thanx 4 the info.......

Senior Member | IA Veteran Halfwit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by simontibbett
    own? or your making payments through a girl? lol

i dont believe that a noob will believe us about hte noob, to msot its about the number. they soo 250, and automatically x that option out, because they want to showoff or look cool.
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Spektrewing386
    Even the great Valentino Rossi had to start small.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9Nt21VoMfM

yeah he did! Rockin 46 and poppin wheelies even back in those days.
    Last edited by EJ25RUN; 06-28-2008 at 09:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Halfwit

i dont believe that a noob will believe us about hte noob, to msot its about the number. they soo 250, and automatically x that option out, because they want to showoff or look cool.
    what are tryin to say? A 250 cant be cool?

das ist truth lol

Quote Originally Posted by EJ25RUN
    what are tryin to say? A 250 cant be cool?
    sorry..lol wow that was a horrible post.

i was saying, as much as ppl tell noobs about how good a 250r is, they wont believe it, because it isnt a "mainstream sportbike" and they dont see them flying down the highway.

resident honda hater redrumracer's Avatar

get a busa, i hear thats a great beginner bike. lol, na seriously get something that youll feel confident and comfortable on. just respect the bike and it will be good to you

You need HD 2 see me

Quote Originally Posted by redrumracer
    get a busa, i hear thats a great beginner bike. lol, na seriously get something that youll feel confident and comfortable on. just respect the bike and it will be good to you
    This guy I work with drives a busa and here pullin up every mornin... his **** is loud and looks good.......

Quote Originally Posted by redrumracer
    but you have to turbo them to get any power out of them at all. SLOW

sorry..lol wow that was a horrible post.

i was saying, as much as ppl tell noobs about how good a 250r is, they wont believe it, because it isnt a "mainstream sportbike" and they dont see them flying down the highway.
    fuk noobs and what their idea of mainstream is.

Anyways, i say a 250 is a good bike for what it is. A four stroke for the street and a 2 stroke for the track. I read allot about track days and allot of people that have the older Yamaha TZ250's and Honda NSR250R can keep up with modern 1000's in the corners.

Man if i could only have and RGV250 or 500.

Remember this one Simmontibbet?

Only has half a car markopolo311's Avatar

One thing about starter bikes is you can usually sell them for right about what you paid for them if you buy a used one and you don't totally trash it. And I suppose if you do, at least you trashed a cheap bike.

Quote Originally Posted by EJ25RUN
    fuk noobs and what their idea of mainstream is.

Anyways, i say a 250 is a good bike for what it is. A four stroke for the street and a 2 stroke for the track. I read allot about track days and allot of people that have the older Yamaha TZ250's and Honda NSR250R can keep up with modern 1000's in the corners.

Man if i could only have and RGV250 or 500.

Remember this one Simmontibbet?
    Remember it very well, as it raped the other bikes

Bender A. Rodriguez

The beauty of buying a used starter bike now is the value is going up or at least staying the same. With so many people thinking they will save money buying a bike the demand is shooting up. In reality when they factor in the price of the bike and the added insurance you're not saving anything. Buy the bike to ride, not to save gas or be "cool." I rode an 08 Ninja250 and I can say it surprised me. It had plenty of power to move the bike around town, not something I'd take on a long trip like my SV650S but still a great bike.
    Ryan Reynolds

"So long and thanks for all the fish"