Thread: ATTN: Military personnel

Default ATTN: Military personnel

I'm still looking for information on the Military in general. Work/life, pay, incentives and so on.

Life has hit me quite hard and im jobless with no money anywhere to back me up and I would still like to continue my education. Recruiters be bullshittin so I'm asking here.

My main mission would be to have the title of "Officer" and I would be working, primarily, in the I.T. related fields offerred by the military. All my family and friends seem to recommend the Air Force; is there a reason?

Any other info u have would be great, I will start conditioning myself for the basic training through the next few months by the way.

CHASE ->>>
    WHAT MATTERS

Alot of people suggest the Air Force (aka Chairforce) because they're said to "not do anything," and they take REAL good care of their personnel. When they get stationed anywhere (I'm hearing this third person, not direct...) they're usually put up in nice hotels and such whereas other branches will have huts or something of the likes. Air Force does alot, but usually stays high up in the air (or space) and has pretty much nothing to do with combatives. As far as pay and benefits, it's the same across the board in all of the armed forces. This does NOT include any kind of signing bonus. The bonus is pretty much dependent on how much that branch has to throw around, and depends on the need for persons in that MOS. As far as time for promotion, I don't know that any branch will promote you faster than the other. It's really dependent on needs of the MOS/branch once you get above say...E3. You can easily pick up E3 by recruiting a few suckers and/or having some college and/or JROTC background, or just by time in grade. Any more in depth and you'll need to ask someone from that branch...

As far as you picking up officer, I think every branch works a little bit differently. JFRO can probably share some wisdom on how the Army works, and I know Dare and Jermaine have military in their family. Jermaine is also signing army, so he may be able to help on that (if I remember right...). Finally, if you can find him, there's a former EF'r that lurks on here from time to time who went Navy. For the Marine Corps, we offer several options for getting there. One is obviously straight up having a degree and going straight to OCS. We offer another program that allows you to switch from enlisted to officer (still having to go through OCS) but I don't have much information, and I don't want to misguide you.

As for education...again, each branch MAY work differently, but the Marine Corps is currently offering me (on top of the GI bill of currently 79K) what's called Tuition Assistance. Basically, I can enroll in most schools (as long as I qualify) while I'm enlisted, and the Corps will eat the cost so long as it's not more than a certain amount spent yearly, and I successfully complete the course, and actually go to classes. The schools that the corps works with is very understanding that we are active duty, and we have a busy life outside of our education, and are willing to help in just about any way they can. Again, this does NOT come out of my GI Bill which is offered to your wife/kids if you don't use it or use all of it...

That being said, military offers many benefits whether you go enlisted or officer. Neither one is less respectful than the other. Same goes for whatever branch you sign for...despite all the crap-talk the branches do between each other. You can easily pick up an education, further your education, or help your dependents in the same aspect.

I think that's it off the top of my head. If I remember more, I'll come back and post up, or if you have more questions, I'll do what I can to answer. I expect Dare, Jermaine, and/or JFRO will have something to post up in here, soon, as well.
    JDMadness ==> EvasiveEF9

I should of titled this different to attract attention, thanks again sir. I've already talked to a recruiter once about USAF and will go deeper in depth in a few short days.

CHASE ->>>
    WHAT MATTERS

EF Squad is nosey. You can put "if your name isn't Ben, don't read this" and I guarantee you Scotsman, Dare, Jermaine, Jeff, Alan, toonz, and qd would read it...
    JDMadness ==> EvasiveEF9

Quote Originally Posted by EvasiveEF9
    EF Squad is nosey. You can put "if your name isn't Ben, don't read this" and I guarantee you Scotsman, Dare, Jermaine, Jeff, Alan, toonz, and qd would read it...

WHAAAAAT?!
    UPROOT Photography FTW

Quote Originally Posted by Oz10 View Post
    I'm a straight guy, but I know my way around a dick.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa_Smurf
    WHAAAAAT?!
    did you put your name in pink cause you are gay?

Yes he did...

And see? I told you...those two are probably nosier than anyone else. Jermine will be in here as soon as he gets online, again...
    JDMadness ==> EvasiveEF9

Yes he did...

And see? I told you...those two are probably nosier than anyone else. Jermine will be in here as soon as he gets online, again...
    i am quite nosy

Quote Originally Posted by TheDrunkScotsman
    i am quite nosy
    and a moonshine hater...
    JDMadness ==> EvasiveEF9

and a moonshine hater...
    yes, that he is

I'm comin to YOUR house and parking my car in ur GRASS SCOTS

CHASE ->>>
    WHAT MATTERS

Quote Originally Posted by blaknoize
    yes, that he is

I'm comin to YOUR house and parking my car in ur GRASS SCOTS

Quote Originally Posted by TheDrunkScotsman
    did you put your name in pink cause you are gay?

UPROOT Photography FTW

Quote Originally Posted by Oz10 View Post
    I'm a straight guy, but I know my way around a dick.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa_Smurf
    i thought so

Senior Member | IA Veteran

i joined the airforce...wish i had a lot of info to tell you but i dont even go to basic training until may. I joined for the same reasons your thinking about joining for....all branches of the military will def take care of you and if your in school they pay for it and pay you to go. Not sure about other branches but i know the air force will pay back up to 10,000 in student loans back for ya.

Marines didn't pay back any of my student loans. I never asked, though, but I don't think the corps will...
    JDMadness ==> EvasiveEF9

Well now that I've spoke to all I needed (retiree and currently active) it seems pretty good. But somehow the national guard got in the business and now they seem great as well.

As all other branches, they do pay for school and the like, but the thing that interests me (at this moment) is the fact that you can go to school while active. So I'm asking questions once again about the USAF in regards to schooling.

Unless I'm bein lead wrong by this recruiter, he is informing me that unlike the others, you can attend school and not have to worry about being gone for a long stent of time when your shooting for education, afterwards I can then join up with any branch (though the Army would be easier as he put it) and continue my service as a full fledged military pesonnel.

Another note, they will NOT pay back non-government loans, so some of my loans I'll still be paying back.

CHASE ->>>
    WHAT MATTERS

You can go to school while active with the marines...

...???
    JDMadness ==> EvasiveEF9

Ok, I KNEW somethin was wrong with that line when he misquoted what I heard before. Sgt FLANNERY BISH

CHASE ->>>
    WHAT MATTERS

Yep, the Guard is NOT a place I'll consider, but it seems as a go for USAF. I'll either update this thread or create a new one, so DARE if u spot another, delete it.

CHASE ->>>
    WHAT MATTERS

Do you have a degree?
    "I'm not a gynecologist... but I'll take a look."

No, I'll gain one while there. The reasoning behind this is due to joblessness and forcefully leaving college due to lossing my apartment. So... no, I dont have one beforehand, but I'll get defiantly get one while there. And pay back most of this wasted 11K I spent to not even finish

CHASE ->>>
    WHAT MATTERS

Rocket Man

Im kinda jumping in here. Im in the Georgia Army National Guard. I drill with the 878th FSC in Augusta, Georgia. I was you said something about the guard then pretty much said never mind. So I will give my point of view on the Guard.

It is nice bringing in alittle more income ever month

I have tricare dental insurance and health insurance for my family (But I have to pay for tri-care, but I can go to any civialian Doctor which I prefer)

I also have life insurance for my wife and I

I get to travel the world alittle (last year when different unit where goin everywhere border patrol, Georgia (like next to russia) and Isreal these are the one I know ppls went to last year other just depends on the unit. Im goin to Central America this Summer. ( I havn't been over seas yet)

Drill seem to alwayz fall on a weekend I want to do something

Alot of bullshit and unorganize from trying to fit everything in one weekend a month and trying to pick up from last month

Full-time job are offer in which intern level pay starts at $18/hour with full benefits. There are quite a few full-time jobs out

You have to travel for rank. I have to drive 2 and a half hours for my E-5.

For a One weekend of pay it equal for Active duty days

There alot more I just have to think of them

Edited to understand better

2006 GMC Sierra 1500
    1981 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Brougham Diesel 5.7L Update May 29, 2010
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2961976/1
    2005 Suzuki Katana 600
    Jet kit, 5 degree advancer,Yoshimura Slip-on, Vortex Sprockets F 14t(-1down) R 50t(+3up)

I have the paperwork and all, but 2 of my cousins were in the Army during the gulf war and do not recommend it at ALL!! The Guard was dispatched more often than the Army itself and as I'm in technology, they recommend I do take the "cushy."

Though it wouldnt necessarily matter, I just put 2 and 2 together and figured that aircraft use alot more tech based equipment than either branch (yes even Navy with their subs) as a air craft is reliant upon technology and fly by wire.

CHASE ->>>
    WHAT MATTERS

Just about all branches offer avi MOS's...and the pay for an experienced Avi mech when departing the armed forces is very well...

Being in Technology...ANY branch is going to give you a "cushy" job...even the marines.

Deployment is badass. No matter what the work. I had a little bit of a choice in going to MALS (Marine Air Lift Support) which is a home-based unit that never deploys, or staying in the Squadron. I chose the squadron. I don't wanna tell my kids, "Yeah, served 5yrs..." "where'd you go, granddad?" "Uh...california." I'd rather be able to talk about other explored cultures, lifestyles, and countries that I've seen as opposed to the inside of a building. Not that we don't need MALS, not that we don't need tech or S-shops...but while I'm not a ground pounder, I can still claim the pride of deployment. Not to mention the money that a deployment offers....and sep-pay if you're married.
    JDMadness ==> EvasiveEF9

IA Member

Default Im military,listen up!

It all depends if you want to go active,or stay home(National Guard,Army Reserves)Me (NG).
    The good thing about the air force is the deployment time is shorter and the girls are hotter.Plus less deployment rates.

You can go into the IT world through the guard and reserves,Unless your really wanting to go active and be stationed somewhere else.

Officer school takes a long time but its worth it if you really want to go that route.

Email me with any questions.
    DOHC$MAN88

He put his email like it was an address.

I dont mind deployment nor does it matter to me about whether I played a role overseas or not. I'd like to be deployed, but I'm a support person and LOVE to do that. That's also why I'm lookin into the Quartermaster position. I like that responsibility and would love to supply others with such things (excluding cock)

So yes, Ben, I do like the PC and I would love to help someone help themselves, or aid, whatever my role will be I intend to make it a good one and come out as a whole nother person.

CHASE ->>>
    WHAT MATTERS