Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: √ IA car photography enthusiasts come inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwisforme05 View Post
    Great thread idea justin. Even tho some say you critique too hard ( like my set of photos when i first used strobes u son of a bitch lol) constructive criticism is the only way we as photographers can get better.
    lolol. i know i know. it's good for you though. i had a small photography class in college and we did critiques. i used to LOVE going to class on critique days. i like hearing what people honestly have to say about my work. it's rare for people to put away their feelings and really focus on the work.

Quote Originally Posted by 87 Turbo II View Post
    i'm actually lovin' this shot.

Quote Originally Posted by puregroove View Post
    Been a minute since I've taken any pics... I don't have much to show, but I will post up something without going too far back in flickr photostream. Please excuse the lack of quality. Good to see you guys, though.
    hot diggity, you certainly haven't posted in a while. i even forgot to let you know about this thread! lol. but i'm glad you made it, you are def. in my top 3.

Quote Originally Posted by JessAlba452 View Post
    FANTASTIC shot.

Senior Member | IA Veteran boostedb16's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 87 Turbo II View Post
    when you quote something with more than 1 pic in it, could you please erase the image tags to prevent having to scroll through photosets twice?
    No because his shots are worth looking at twice lol. No really my bad.

I think one of my problems is,I have a tripod but don't ever use it. Everything I shoot his hand held. I will start using my pod more and try and do better.

Putting a black border around your pictures doesn't make them look any less like horse shit.

You know who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by boostedb16 View Post
    I think one of my problems is,I have a tripod but don't ever use it. Everything I shoot his hand held. I will start using my pod more and try and do better.
    I'm with ya 100%. I quit using my tripod a long time ago because it can't get the angles I want, and so I have to compensate sometimes with my exposure. It usually ends up with a shot without the perfect exposure. I think a tripod is a must have for still photography. Especially so you can get multiple exposures for one shot and compose the perfect shot with some layering.

Photography & Design

If you blame your lack of skill on lack of gear, you'll never get better.

(speaking from experience)

NIKON Squad | D90

Khris: Love your work man. I swear every time I see a new picture of yours, I get a new desktop background ha. Widdy's S2K & that STi were my background for a hot minute.

Swollix: Great shots man. I don't recall ever seeing your work.

Kevin Bandy: Love your work as well.

Where's ChadBee at?? I want some rig shots.

To others, Most pictures are great. Some not so much compared to the other content.

EDIT: I officially suck cock at taking pictures of cars.. I've got some shots of "scenery" but that's not what this thread is about so I won't waste your guys' time ha.

&& NerdsRock: Great shots man.
    Last edited by BexSican 408; 01-20-2010 at 09:40 AM.

Thanks for the invite Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by Romeo View Post
    Caught your picture of Leng's s2k in Honda Tuning!! Good job man! Bet that was a real accomplishment.
    Thanks man i still havent gotten my subscription issue..
    GECKOSquad
    NIKOND7000 Shooter | flickr

No pro by any means...but then again, Ive kinda dropped out of photo taking for a while, I dont edit pics either though except for resize and simple watermark.

Edit: actually looking at these I dont really like them that much either haah. I kida started just using the camera for documentive purposes I guess rather than going all out lol.
    Last edited by mushroom_toy; 01-20-2010 at 11:14 AM.

kodak disposable ftw Dwisforme05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mantooth View Post
    Dwisforme05,

If I EVER am able to keep my car out of the shop and get my wheels on, we need to hook up for a photoshoot. I'm loving your work.
    thanks man, i really appreciate it. we can definatly set something up just lmk when!
    I CAN HAZ 8 CYLINDERS?

Cameron Flaisch Photography
    Canon Shooter

Dwisforme05 took these.

Got a MINI? Don't talk to me.

FUCK your FADS

someone plz rep him for the pictures cuz i cant hand out any more..

Quote Originally Posted by 98blackcivic View Post
    someone plz rep him for the pictures cuz i cant hand out any more..
    Yeah for real, Cam is on top of his shit.

FUCK your FADS

www.jasontbarker.com speedminded's Avatar

I already posted shots from 2005 in reply #79

Small sample of 2007-2009:

Track photos from the latest event...

i hate to sound like an asshole but there isnt ONE good automotive photographer on IA when it comes to high quilty statics. there are some guys that are pretty good with event work but we all suck.

yeah i said it.

also im kamikaze's biggest fan. he work makes my eyes bleed its so sharp. im a tad homo for him :idb:

Quote Originally Posted by speedminded View Post

Small sample of 2007-2009:
    i half ass take back my last post

Quote Originally Posted by CH@Dbee View Post
    i hate to sound like an asshole but there isnt ONE good automotive photographer on IA when it comes to high quilty statics. there are some guys that are pretty good with event work but we all suck.

yeah i said it.
    well yes and no. if you want to be a negative nancy and compare IA's work to the world of car photography where people make a damn good living from behind a lens then yes... we all suck. but if you just want to talk about people that shoot for fun or a little side money for the everyman then there are some good photogs. most of us are just 20-somethings trying to get our feet wet, not 30-40 yr old people with careers behind them and money out the wahzoo to spend on equipment. you can say all you want that your equipment doesn't make the photographer, but i'll be damned if i see a p/s produce some of the better automotive images i've seen.

yeah i said it.

also im kamikaze's biggest fan. he work makes my eyes bleed its so sharp. im a tad homo for him :idb:
    Gotta start somewhere

FUCK your FADS

^IA's most loved^ UpSideDownDesi's Avatar

Eric Chang, Kevin Bandy, Chad B, Mr. Clean, Jason, Chris H, Eddie, George, Dwisfome05, few other regulars...some of the best around.

yeah i said it.
    I agree. Compared to some of the work I've seen, everyone in this thread, including myself, has a long way to go.

I appreciate it man especially coming from the rig shot king.

yeah i said it.

Asshole hahahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clean View Post
    well yes and no. if you want to be a negative nancy and compare IA's work to the world of car photography where people make a damn good living from behind a lens then yes... we all suck. but if you just want to talk about people that shoot for fun or a little side money for the everyman then there are some good photogs. most of us are just 20-somethings trying to get our feet wet, not 30-40 yr old people with careers behind them and money out the wahzoo to spend on equipment. you can say all you want that your equipment doesn't make the photographer, but i'll be damned if i see a p/s produce some of the better automotive images i've seen.
    some people say im a great photographer and i LOL @ their face. they think im great because of what they are used to seeing. just because that person is ignorant to what GOOD automotive photography is does not make me a great photographer.

its just the same if you have a crx with a b16 in it, some people might think that a very fast car.....but they are wrong, its slow as fuck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamikaze View Post

I appreciate it man especially coming from the rig shot king.
    psh, im only that cause the rest of you fags are too lazy to make one, im sure ill be knocked off my throne soon enough.
    Asshole hahahahaha
    i am lol

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clean View Post
    I'm with ya 100%. I quit using my tripod a long time ago because it can't get the angles I want, and so I have to compensate sometimes with my exposure. It usually ends up with a shot without the perfect exposure. I think a tripod is a must have for still photography. Especially so you can get multiple exposures for one shot and compose the perfect shot with some layering.
    i ALWAYS shoot on a tripod. you might be able to tell from my repetitive angles at the same time i can very rarely get a photo that im even halfass happy with if i dont do multiple exposures. most of my photographs are 5-8 exposures stitched into one photo for different lighting set-ups and a different twist of the CPL to get rid of more reflections.
    Quote Originally Posted by KustomBuildz View Post
    If you blame your lack of skill on lack of gear, you'll never get better.

(speaking from experience)
    fawking truth. my sig on all photography forums is....

"TRYING TO MAKE UP FOR MY LACK OF EQUIPMENT WITH TALENT"

i have a $750 camera body, a $100 nikon 50mm 1.8 lens, a $200 nikon 35mm 1.8 lens and a $450 sigma 10-20 lens and a novatron lighting set from the mid 1980's that my grand father gave to me.

lack of gear isnt always the problem, alot of times its lack of a photography knowledge and skill from the person using that gear.

lack of gear isnt always the problem, alot of times its lack of a photography knowledge and skill from the person using that gear.
    So freaking true. I'm always fighting myself to not buy new stuff, when i need to just get out there and practice.

I've always wanted one of you guys to take pics of my FB for me. Even though I am into photography myself, I want to see what someone better does with it, and also get a different "flavor" of photograph for me car.

^^ Yeah, I drew a frame of a man running on each fan blade. That is him running at idle

Got to have an eye! if you dont have an eye you cant see!!!!!!!!!!!! LOOK AT THE COLORS!

everyone that owns a camera should take notes from this guy.
    no. they shouldn't lol

Quote Originally Posted by DeutscheBAG! View Post
    no. they shouldn't lol
    i agree. kevin sucks. if your going to take notes from anybody to it from this guy....

http://www.okuproductions.com/

Proud to be Retrosexual Jaimecbr900's Avatar

The only problem with this thread is that if you want to look for inspiration you should go to a PHOTOGRAPHY site to begin with.

This site is full of people that post "great pics", "awesome shots", or "love the pics" when in reality they are not much of any of those descriptions at all. It's a false sense of greatness. Not taking anything away from the ones that truly have talent, but if we're being honest this is by far not the site to get your photographic tips from.

Go to a true photography forum and post up some of the pics posted up in this very thread, and you will see what a humbling experience that is.

Merely coming up with a catchy watermark, putting a border on the pic, or worse......using crazy contorting angles to seem cool does not a photographer make anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaimecbr900 View Post
    The only problem with this thread is that if you want to look for inspiration you should go to a PHOTOGRAPHY site to begin with.

This site is full of people that post "great pics", "awesome shots", or "love the pics" when in reality they are not much of any of those descriptions at all. It's a false sense of greatness. Not taking anything away from the ones that truly have talent, but if we're being honest this is by far not the site to get your photographic tips from.

Go to a true photography forum and post up some of the pics posted up in this very thread, and you will see what a humbling experience that is.

Merely coming up with a catchy watermark, putting a border on the pic, or worse......using crazy contorting angles to seem cool does not a photographer make anyone.

that is waht makes "art" so great.. everyone has a different like, and view of things, and gets different inspiration. So your appreciation for the guys on the photography site..is what give you inspiration. But it may not work for everyone... see how that works! Its like telling someone how to think, or how to feel about something... its impossible!

Quote Originally Posted by JITB View Post
    that is waht makes "art" so great.. everyone has a different like, and view of things, and gets different inspiration. So your appreciation for the guys on the photography site..is what give you inspiration. But it may not work for everyone... see how that works! Its like telling someone how to think, or how to feel about something... its impossible!
    alot of people here dont understand photography like the people on those forums. people here cant pin point why they like X photo over Y photo so they cant reproduce the quality of X photo.

example...

i see alot of photos from people that have been doing photography for a few months or longer(IM NOT AN OG! lol) and there is less space between the front bumper of the car and the end of the "frame" than the rear bumper of the car and the end of the "frame". this looks alot worse than if it was the other way around. do you know why? its because the human eye is used to seeing a automobile in motion, and you you take a picture of a car that way subconsciously you "feel" like the car is trapped in the frame and has no where to go. i know that seams really out there for some people but its the truth. being a good photographer is learning what is visually appealing to the human eye and why it is that way.

import atlanta, honda-tech and my350z is a place to learn about cars, not photography. a lot of photographers(like me) will not give REAL critiques on car forums because they have had bad experiences with people getting buthurt cause we were "mean" and "think our shit doesnt stink". if you dont know what your doing wrong you cant ever fix it.

the only reason i have progressed like i have(i still suck, but have made decent progression) is because of me posting on photography forums and telling me to rip my photos to shit, be blunt, be assholes, smack my ass and call me nancy. blunt, harsh criticism is the best way to get better at photography and you arent going to get that on a car forum.

sorry for that book^

So what I got from all this is that I'm the best photographer on IA....I mean...it's pretty obvious

One thing I must say that can make or break an automotive picture is not even the photographers skill or equipment, it comes down to the subject(car) and the scenery of which the car is in. For example when someone posts pics of a 92 integra, the shots might be good and the car might be "clean" by his standards but it's still relatively boring. Why? Because the subject sucks. It's like looking at a "good" picture of an ugly old woman. Also, I have seen decent quality pictures taken in breathtaking scenery such as mountains etc... and the pictures take my breath away with how nice they are. Honestly living in GA, I find nice scenery for automotive photography extremely lacking. It's pretty hard to take great pics with a lack of good backdrops and such imo

My definition of a good picture is one that makes me say "wow!"

Certified Gearhead

here is my favorite shot of my old car shot by puregroove

alot of people here dont understand photography like the people on those forums. people here cant pin point why they like X photo over Y photo so they cant reproduce the quality of X photo.

example...

i see alot of photos from people that have been doing photography for a few months or longer(IM NOT AN OG! lol) and there is less space between the front bumper of the car and the end of the "frame" than the rear bumper of the car and the end of the "frame". this looks alot worse than if it was the other way around. do you know why? its because the human eye is used to seeing a automobile in motion, and you you take a picture of a car that way subconsciously you "feel" like the car is trapped in the frame and has no where to go. i know that seams really out there for some people but its the truth. being a good photographer is learning what is visually appealing to the human eye and why it is that way.

import atlanta, honda-tech and my350z is a place to learn about cars, not photography. a lot of photographers(like me) will not give REAL critiques on car forums because they have had bad experiences with people getting buthurt cause we were "mean" and "think our shit doesnt stink". if you dont know what your doing wrong you cant ever fix it.

the only reason i have progressed like i have(i still suck, but have made decent progression) is because of me posting on photography forums and telling me to rip my photos to shit, be blunt, be assholes, smack my ass and call me nancy. blunt, harsh criticism is the best way to get better at photography and you arent going to get that on a car forum.

sorry for that book^
    We (non picture takers just lookers) just want to see cool pictures. And photography is art, much like music, and its all optical, its whats pleasing to the eye. Some people may hate changaroos dark style of pics, and some may love it. Just like some may hate cahdbee's style, but love blacknightteg's driveway portrait. Just because its simple and straight to the point and gets the point across. Like you have people who make music on the most sophisticated electronics every made, but it never sounds as good as fined tuned instrument. Granted there is a science to it all..but it all comes down to expression and what makes the eye happy.

Car photography has gotten like this because of the internet. The only place were you can become a well known person because of 1 photo taken in your driveway, with a 75$ camera.

And criticisms is all good, when it comes to knowing how to work your camera, and what settings to use in certain conditions. but other than that its all skill and time. Noone on the forums can teach you to have an eye for a nice picture, its like alot of things some people got it and some people dont.

Some of my favorite photographers are magic with the PS, but the better ones are magic behind the camera... when you see a good picture, the last thing you think about is the post processing.

Chad, what photography forums are you a member of? I've looked around for some, but never really caught many that were real useful.

Quote Originally Posted by JITB View Post
    We (non picture takers just lookers) just want to see cool pictures. And photography is art, much like music, and its all optical, its whats pleasing to the eye. Some people may hate changaroos dark style of pics, and some may love it. Just like some may hate cahdbee's style, but love blacknightteg's driveway portrait. Just because its simple and straight to the point and gets the point across. Like you have people who make music on the most sophisticated electronics every made, but it never sounds as good as fined tuned instrument. Granted there is a science to it all..but it all comes down to expression and what makes the eye happy.

Car photography has gotten like this because of the internet. The only place were you can become a well known person because of 1 photo taken in your driveway, with a 75$ camera.

And criticisms is all good, when it comes to knowing how to work your camera, and what settings to use in certain conditions. but other than that its all skill and time. Noone on the forums can teach you to have an eye for a nice picture, its like alot of things some people got it and some people dont.

Some of my favorite photographers are magic with the PS, but the better ones are magic behind the camera... when you see a good picture, the last thing you think about is the post processing.
    i agree for the most part but alot of people say i have a good eye to properly compose a photo and i learned that from studying composition techniques that i found on photography forums. if you just "had an eye for it" all you would have to do is buy a decent camera, read the manual to learn the settings then produce amazing shots. some people learn fast, some people learn slow, some people just cant wrap their minds around it and then give up but everybody has to learn and all im saying is if you truly want to produce good photography the best option is to be around people that are professionals. over the past year my photos have sucked alot less, they still arent what i call good but they are better and one of the main reasons is because i have a friend that shoots for import tuner, performance auto and sound and a few other magazines constantly pit picking the fuck out of my photos and helping me with my rig set-up, my editing and pushing me to get better. if i would have stuck to IA and car forums i can promise you my work would suck alot more than it does right now.

example...

sorry for that book^
    listen to chad. if you ever want a honest opinion on your picture, this guy will tell you. when i got my fist DSLR i took some pictures of some horse's in the middle of the day on a very sunny day. chad being one of the best "imo" on this site. i pmed him and asked him what he thought. he told me my pictures sucked ass. well i took it like a adult and said thanks and i dont take picture's in the harsh sunlight any more. sometimes the truth is what you need to get better. sorry for the paragraph.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerdsrock22 View Post
    Chad, what photography forums are you a member of? I've looked around for some, but never really caught many that were real useful.
    mycanikon <----very chill forum with great photogs.
    diesel station <--- you better have some thick skin, these guys will make you step it the fuck up or put your camera in the classifieds section, they play no games. alot of great work there.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast