Thread: '63 PONTIAC TEMPEST... (THIS OLD THING?)

Default '63 PONTIAC TEMPEST... (THIS OLD THING?)

http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicl...ans/index.html

PWNT!!!

Quick Inspection:

'63 Pontiac Tempest LeMans

Rob Freyvogel - Butler, PA

POWERTRAIN

Engine: In 1963 the Tempest LeMans was powered by a 326ci Pontiac V-8. The engine in the car now may be painted blue, but it's no Pontiac. That's a 427 big-block Chevy with a 0.030-inch overbore and Brodix aluminum heads. The build is on the conservative side to accommodate the pair of Holset turbos stashed away under the rear of the car. The homemade 4-2-1 headers use 2-inch primary tubes and 3-inch collectors, while the throttle body is a 1,600-cfm airdoor from Electromotive.

Power: The car made 875 hp at the rear wheels on a chassis dyno, but that was early on the development curve. Based on the car's e.t. and trap speed, Rob now estimates that he has over 1,100 hp available.

Transmission: Rob axed the Tempest's original drivetrain configuration, an odd setup that employed a rear-drive transaxle and enclosed driveshaft. He opted instead for a GM Turbo 400 with a transbrake and electronically actuated valvebody.

Rearend: Rob says he learned about the virtues of the '57-'64 Olds-Pontiac rear axle reading HOT ROD. His uses a Strange 35-spline spool and axles with a 3.08 ring-and-pinion.

CHASSIS

Frame: Except for a pair of fabricated subframe connectors, the Tempest's unitbody structure is stock and original.

Suspension: While the front suspension is stock, the rear now employs
    coilover spring/shock assemblies and a pair of Chassis Engineering ladder bars.

Brakes: The rotors and calipers are Wilwood Super Lights, while the master cylinder and power booster are from an '86 Buick Grand National-no engine vacuum required.

Wheels: The steel rear wheels- 9x15s using the GM big-car 5x5 bolt pattern-were custom-built by Stockton Wheel Service in Stockton, California. The front steelies are 14-inch GM stockers, and Pontiac dog-dish hubcaps are installed on all four corners.

Tires: Hoosier 28.5x10.5 Quick Times are on the rear, with Goodyear radials on the front.

STYLE

Body: The GM Y-body platform, used by the Buick, Olds, and Pontiac compacts from 1961 to 1963, was a bit of a strange ranger, sharing some architecture with the Corvair. But the lines were pretty clean, especially on Pontiac's Sport Coupe version for '63. Rob didn't change a thing on his.

Paint: Rob believes his LeMans was repainted sometime in the mid-'80s in its original factory metallic red. That's the same paint it wears today.

Interior: Except for a set of Auto Meter gauges artfully spliced into the dash, the cabin is pretty much all stock, with factory bucket seats resplendent in early-'60s GM red vinyl.
    "I'm not a gynecologist... but I'll take a look."

updated

bitchin' ride. People don't post enough old American muscle here

thats really cool!!!

1100HP isn't bad either.

Release the Kracken! Total_Blender's Avatar

1100 HP and the weight of a big block is a lot for that unibody, subframe connectors or not.

Would have been cooler if he'd have used a real Pontiac engine, or a Cadillac 500. Everybody and their grandma are dropping Chevy engines into their old cars.

Troo - even Civics. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by NawzDawg!!1!
    1100 HP and the weight of a big block is a lot for that unibody, subframe connectors or not.

Would have been cooler if he'd have used a real Pontiac engine, or a Cadillac 500. Everybody and their grandma are dropping Chevy engines into their old cars.
    TR00F!! i've got a '68 Cadillac 472 in my '48 chevy pickup

Never go full retard

Quote Originally Posted by GKtib®
    bitchin' ride. People don't post enough old American muscle here
    While I do love American Muscle, the site is called Import Atlanta. I'm just saying that might have something to do with it...