Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: If you had $80,000 to start a business.....

Privateer Racing!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. KiDD
    that team of brothers in Texas is cutthroat! i love those guys. wife is pretty hot too
    Hell yea she is, but that group from south carolina has that hott ass young girl, she can come build my house anytime!

For 80k I would do another slot car shop. Nice customers, if proper location is found the money is extremely good, extremely fun, the hours can't be beat.

IA KING

Quote Originally Posted by Magius
    I don't mean to insult you in any way, but has IA been a good investment? Have you seen good returns in the money that you've put into it?

I'm trying to think what kind of business that I could start up for 80k and still have a steady income.
    well considering total cost are under 2000$ a year ... um i would say it has been profitable... now not in the sense we spend our time; but we dont' do this full time .... look at it this way an initial 9$ investment has made a site worth more then 20k

www.jasontbarker.com speedminded's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by admin
    well considering total cost are under 2000$ a year ... um i would say it has been profitable... now not in the sense we spend our time; but we dont' do this full time .... look at it this way an initial 9$ investment has made a site worth more then 20k
    It's basically a non-profit business too...of course there is some but you wouldn't be disclosing the overhead/cost if it was much It's more of bring the community together and it's done a fine job of that...i can't tell you how many time's i've been lai...oh, nm hahaha! you get the idea

IA KING

Quote Originally Posted by speedminded
    It's basically a non-profit business too...of course there is some but you wouldn't be disclosing the overhead/cost if it was much It's more of bring the community together and it's done a fine job of that...i can't tell you how many time's i've been lai...oh, nm hahaha! you get the idea
    its a non profit business to the world as far as we don't disclose everything, but truely the overhead/cost for the site alone are under 2000$ a year. w/ an initial cost of 9$ to start the site it is easily worth 20k or more. how it generates money is a different scope.... how do you put a value on trade outs, friendships, etc..? you can't i know for a fact we have gotten 10k's in trade outs b/c of who we are and what we do... but this site can easily generate money and does so already.

julio/i can walk away from updating anything on the site and just run the forum and still do quite well w/ basically no hands on

but we have spent 10k's over the years in this scene b/c we do love it and what it has given back to us.

The only problem with starting a business, is the 6-60 law. Theroetically, for any business to survive you'll have to make 60% of your total spent in assests, income, and expenses in a 6 month span.

I am comtimplating the idea of opening a franchise resturaunt in the Mall of Georgia area, but the wait list to recieve the franchise packet is a 4 year wait. Every entrepenuour i've talked to, whom are sucessful, has told me if i get the franchise, they will back my funding and financial assests for the first year, with 110% payback within 5 years. If it works.. free IA food day!

h series

i would definately buy some shares of stocks man 80K isnt much when starting a business. If not stocks than i would just open a pho resturant on buford hwy.

It's the Birdman bitches! BirdmanSRT's Avatar

DRAG STRIP!!!! And a damn good one!

Senior Member | IA Veteran Elbow's Avatar

that would be over 80k

IA.COM Founder.

invested. Seriously. I would invest in real estate.. But in anything you do, either investing in your own business or real estate there will be risk.

Seriously, if you have 80K try to get 20 K more and invest that in a good HIGH INTEREST account and earn some nice money month to month... I think it will be decent cheese.... and keep your job..
    I honestly dont think 80K is alot to start a business (depending) what it is. But is a start.

If it was me.. and I felt like gambling, I will invest in real estate... and if I was worried and did not want to invest I would just take the money to the bank and let it earn interest w/ a nice rate... and keep my day job.

But you never know.. I know people who started jobs with 1000 bucks and are now making almost 7 figures.

And if you have more cheese.. deeper pockets.. and you want Profit ( huge margin) anything thats bad to society will make money RIGHT AWAY.

liquor store, strip club, sex shop all that bullshit will make you rich QUICK.

( . )( . ) inmymouth _Christian_'s Avatar

i would start an overseas pharmacy. ppl always need their drugs and it is very unlikely that i would face any legal trouble. thats where the money is.

surprised noone said it Laundromat...............duh

Heres something i have been contemplating for a while....im not sure if 80k is enough( probably not) but i have been thinking of opening a DIY shop... basically open up a shop where people can come and work on their own cars... pretty much say u rent out a warehouse. put in a few stalls with lifts and a few flat stalls... supply each stall with common tool. rachet and socket sets, wrenches, hammers. u know the basics. also have other tools which the custoer can rent out... rent each stall to the customer to do their own work on their car. at a price say $15 per hour. have each customer sign waivers releiving you as the owner of any possible issues. and have a few techs around to give a hand when a customer needs it....and i mean you would get loads of customers.. i mean how many times have garage tuners ahd to take their cars to shops and pay because they dont have lifts or the proper tools.. if you supply all the toold a regular shop would have... you would have buku customers.....

also about flipping houses.... it has huge payouts because its very risky in one house you can go under hundreds of thousands of dollars... the higher the risk the higher the profit... they dont show on the tv show stuff like real estate agent fees, investor fees( if you have any)... they still get a pretty good return. especially the guys who have been doing it for a while..like the guy from SC ( i think) but its time consuming and loads of labor until you get to that point....
    Last edited by Hektik; 04-17-2007 at 10:14 PM.

Senior Member | IA Veteran SleeperWRX's Avatar

Tire Shop/

---------------------------------------------------------

www.jasontbarker.com speedminded's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bigdare23
    surprised noone said it Laundromat...............duh
    There's a couple on here that have done that, profitable but suprisingly quite a bit of overhead...

Go to New Oxford Pa and open up a Quiznos. There is Subway, McDonalds, and a Wendys in that town. Those fat hicks would cum all over the place if someone opened one up there.

simple...

Take the 80k, half it, take 40k invest it take the other 40k and open a karate school.

Karate schools now a day do some crazy money. The one I manage and I am a partner of easly does 30k a month with less than 10k in overhead. Some schools around the nation do 80k a month on a 20k overhead.

Then once you get the staff trained you can kick back and not do anything. Show up teach a couple of classes and then leave.

That's how i plan to retire at 30, lol

i'd buy 80k worth of crack and have a 80,000 dollar crack party

charge 10 bux per plate and have 10,000 visitors so after taxes i'd break about even.

new & improved® for 07-08

Open up a big ass shop like this one in ATL http://tx.local.yahoo.biz/upnsmoke713/ ..maybe 2 or 3 even around metro..shiiet.
    HOOKAH?! WTF..YOU MEAN HOOKER! :boobies:

new & improved® for 07-08

Quote Originally Posted by RandomGuy
    i'd buy 80k worth of crack and have a 80,000 dollar crack party

charge 10 bux per plate and have 10,000 visitors so after taxes i'd break about even.
    ...wrd
    HOOKAH?! WTF..YOU MEAN HOOKER! :boobies:

So far best things ive heard are storage company and real estate

storage because its like the most low maintenance thing ever

real estate cause you can buy like 8 houses for 10k each down payment and rent em out 30 years later you have millions for putting in little effort that paid for itself

My dad has a carwash and it deff is seasonal for sure and sucks like shit during the week. Its located down the street from atlanta motor speedway.

A guy in one of my classes at school went to school with a guy who started his own shit picker upper business. He made this little vacuum cleaner thing with a bag and went around to people houses asking if they needed shit picked up. Supposedly he is a millionaire now from the business.
    Think about what you could do with what you have picked up, its fucking shit... bag that shit and sell it to old ladies who want to fertilize their gardens and shit so you dont need a place to dispose of it. If its true, its just one of those quirky things that people are too lazy to do.

People who own nail salons always seem to be pretty wealthy.

Cigar bar, I know there are a lot of people who like to smoke and kill themselves so why not cater to the ones with more money? Have a bunch of cigars ranging from $5-xxx amount each, serve beer and wine and such, nice leather couches and chairs. Sell all the little fancy zippos and "cigar accessories" Have attractive women working in it. Tell them to wear all black and hire the ones with large breasts. Lastly, hire some crazed old man to come in, set up his own equipment and play jazz, or something that no one understands b/c its "deep and meaning full" and your all set. I mean what businessmen wouldnt want to go hang out there after a hard day of banging the secretary, and talk about money and avoiding taxes????
    www.MSSRACING.COM - Don't talk about it, Be about it!
    MAINSTREAM PERFORMANCE
    Digital Box Tuning

I would buy a 2000 Peterbuilt and an 40cy Allison Dump trailer. Hire an experienced driver that you know through a good friend of yours. Pay the driver a commission of what the truck makes. Depend on your friend to get you work 6 days a week. Thats what YOU could do with 80 g's.

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour222
    I would buy a 2000 Peterbuilt and an 40cy Allison Dump trailer. Hire an experienced driver that you know through a good friend of yours. Pay the driver a commission of what the truck makes. Depend on your friend to get you work 6 days a week. Thats what YOU could do with 80 g's.
    will talk to you later about this one
    Enterprise Data Resources- Ecommerce Project Manager
    -www.usedbarcode.net

i drive a giant blueberry preferredduck's Avatar

real estate, automotive, i could do 2 duplexes and still have $$$ left over.
    Check out my for sale threads!! 15" competition speakerbox, 1TB External hard drive, and plenty of car parts!!!

I Need some WRX, 350Z, 240SX, Really any car owner to let me do R&D for Ground Kits, Please Let me See the layouts!!!

i drive a giant blueberry preferredduck's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour222
    GET A MACK MAN!! YOU CAN DO MORE STUFF OFFROAD!!!!
    that and i know the owner of gainesville truck center, largest mack dealer in the southeast.
    Check out my for sale threads!! 15" competition speakerbox, 1TB External hard drive, and plenty of car parts!!!

I Need some WRX, 350Z, 240SX, Really any car owner to let me do R&D for Ground Kits, Please Let me See the layouts!!!

h series

just play it in one hand of poker. ALL IN baby

DYLAN DYLAN DYLAN DYLAN!1 Black R's Avatar

liquor store

Quote Originally Posted by Tasuki_Civic
    i woke up to the feeling of someone cutting my clothes from my pants to my bra. all in one cut

I would take that 80,000 and get 2 other partners to get another 70,000 and open up a Hooters ... on the beach

Certified Gearhead

^ thaats what im talkin about ha

Certified Gearhead

Quote Originally Posted by Leisa
    I would take that 80,000 and get 2 other partners to get another 70,000 and open up a Hooters ... on the beach
    You would need more money than that and it is hard to get a franchise. Need like 10 years of experience with franchises and a lot of other qualifications

Buy a house (downpayment), put the rest in a IRA and you'll be set when it's time to retire!

Certified Gearhead

to the guy that said open up a shop w/ lifts and techs---i dont know about where u live but theres a hobby shop in valdosta where you pay $5 an hour and can use all of their equipment and theres a couple of people working there.

storage facility doesnt sound like a bad plan...you cant do much with real estate at 80k, but if you started up a smaller business and made some money, then you could do real estate on top of that.

you dont want to open up a restaurant, it is not worth the pain and agony you will go through..unless you open up a hooters on the beach. business at these places during march-october = AMAZING!! besides that restaurants are bad news.

this guy in valdosta opened up a pizza place, $5 pick up one topping--dont have delivery...and apparently in the year he has been opened he upgraded from an [01 maybe?] dodge dakota to a dodge srt-10..and hes opening up another pizza place[may be open already]

just pay more attention to your surroundings and what seems to be busy and what seems to be taking your and others money. try to think about things you have never considered before.

another good idea that probably has low cost is open something like a ready ice. in my town theres probably 10 of these..you pay 1.25 and get a 20lb. bulk of ice or a 16lb. bag.....no labor fees, just stock the ice yourself. it's a good deal for the customer and over time will make you money.

probably cost a little more than 80k, but there is money to be made with having gas stations too.

what do you do for a living now? do something that u could use that to your advantage. my dad is a marriage and family therapist, he recently wrote his own book...it hasnt taken off yet but it's slowly getting there. he will make money from the book and become more famous--thus being able to charge more money at his outpatient office.

Quote Originally Posted by devinwebb907
    to the guy that said open up a shop w/ lifts and techs---i dont know about where u live but theres a hobby shop in valdosta where you pay $5 an hour and can use all of their equipment and theres a couple of people working there.
    he could charge more around here though.like 15 per hour. and people would still pay casue there isnt one around here.atleast that i know off.

Quote Originally Posted by devinwebb907
    you cant do much with real estate at 80k.
    not true.. depends on what he wants to do and how he goes about doing it... 80k would be enough to flip a house if u only used it for renovations, and had the house itself financed through a bank.........

Certified Gearhead

i would do real estate

Quote Originally Posted by jblaudio06
    i would do real estate
    Ya know thats always really good to get into...like flipping houses and all, but if it was a just for fun kind and not a big money maker. I would open a kids bookstore.....otherwise flipping houses would be it for me

Auto Broker business. Get paid to car shop. That or an import, export business for car parts from Japan and Europe. Thats what I plan on doing anyway once I can get a "little" capital saved up, and maybe get a business loan.

Quote Originally Posted by Clegger
    A BANANA STAND! like the Bluth's
    "Remember, Michael. There's always money in the banana stand."
    I would start an Arcade. It's been my dream for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by admin
    its a non profit business to the world as far as we don't disclose everything, but truely the overhead/cost for the site alone are under 2000$ a year. w/ an initial cost of 9$ to start the site it is easily worth 20k or more. how it generates money is a different scope.... how do you put a value on trade outs, friendships, etc..? you can't i know for a fact we have gotten 10k's in trade outs b/c of who we are and what we do... but this site can easily generate money and does so already.

julio/i can walk away from updating anything on the site and just run the forum and still do quite well w/ basically no hands on

but we have spent 10k's over the years in this scene b/c we do love it and what it has given back to us.
    I've always wanted to do something similar. I just recently had an idea for a good website and I've already got a decent design. Seeing that not only has IA held the money you've invested but that you've met many new friends is reason enough for me to push my idea to reality.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast