Thread: WHAT KIND OF PAINT

Default WHAT KIND OF PAINT

Im trying to find out what kind of paint is on this genesis pls help !!!!!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -394543_176664049136423_431017277_n-jpg  

Certified Gearhead

Looks like blue paint to me

lol yea im trying to find the name for it or paint code if possible.

Certified Gearhead

From what I've seen by Googling Hyundai Genesis paint codes....that doesn't look like a stock 09-13 color.

It's a custom paint job. Best thing to do is go to a good paint shop and see if the painter can duplicate it. It's defiantly a candy color though.

Candy teal blue possibly?

I'll bet you there's a 99% chance he's on a Gencoupe forum. The smartest thing to do would be just to joint one of said forum and ask the same question. Someone will get you in contact with him.

I'd be more inclined to say the picture is over-processed (HDR) and not a candy paint.

And with a quick search, I now know the color code and name of that color. It was retardedly easy.

Same color...different car..

02' Miata

Quote Originally Posted by Doppelgänger View Post
    I'd be more inclined to say the picture is over-processed (HDR) and not a candy paint.

And with a quick search, I now know the color code and name of that color. It was retardedly easy.

Same color...different car..
    So your saying that there is no way this is a candy color even though it's clearly a custom, non-factory paint job?
    Even the Miata you posted a pic of has a custom teal metallic paint job. Custom colors don't have paint codes.

Either way if the op wants the same color effect as the pic he posted whether its shopped or not the only way to achieve that is with a teal candy paint.

Candy Teal paint, not shopped:

dont paint ur gen that color cause im alrdy painting my tiburon that color. and yes i know what paint it is and what the paint code is
    2004 Hyundai Tiburon V6 Turbo 230whp 210wtq

Quote Originally Posted by S4saken View Post
    So your saying that there is no way this is a candy color even though it's clearly a custom, non-factory paint job?
    Even the Miata you posted a pic of has a custom teal metallic paint job. Custom colors don't have paint codes.

Either way if the op wants the same color effect as the pic he posted whether its shopped or not the only way to achieve that is with a teal candy paint.

Do you paint for a living? Candy paint is not the only way to achieve bright, vivid colors. That is a thing of the past, most modern "candy/kandy" looking colors are actually regular base coat / clear coat paint processes. Just because a car is painted a non-OE color don't automatically assume it's candy and jump on board with that, it's often not the case. Candy teal would be a very deep color for the OP but the original image posted code also just be a bright metallic base coat. Also because it's not a factory color option doesn't mean it has no paint code at all, it could be a factory color from a variety of manufactures or be a altered one (which is something that we often times do such as start with a color such as Nissan Bayside Blue and tweak it with other color pearls and toners).

Quote Originally Posted by SB-Autoworks View Post
    Do you paint for a living? Candy paint is not the only way to achieve bright, vivid colors. That is a thing of the past, most modern "candy/kandy" looking colors are actually regular base coat / clear coat paint processes. Just because a car is painted a non-OE color don't automatically assume it's candy and jump on board with that, it's often not the case. Candy teal would be a very deep color for the OP but the original image posted code also just be a bright metallic base coat. Also because it's not a factory color option doesn't mean it has no paint code at all, it could be a factory color from a variety of manufactures or be a altered one (which is something that we often times do such as start with a color such as Nissan Bayside Blue and tweak it with other color pearls and toners).
    So after you alter the original paint code could I just take the car to any body shop and give them the original paint code and expect a good match? No. That paint code is no longer valid. And yes I have a background in auto body tech. My examples of the candy teal is far closer to the effect the op is trying to achieve then the metallic paint, you don't have to have any experience in the automotive industry to see that.

I don't automatically assume all non factory paint jobs are candy only the ones with a candy effect. Candy is just a transparent coat sprayed over pearls or metallic to give the paint a glossy "wet" look exactly like the on posted in the op. funny how you ask me about my paint exp... Has your shop ever painted candy? Your so quick to write off the possibility that it's a Candy paint job.

It's also funny how People are saying they know the paint code and a code has yet to be posted. Not everyone wants this paint job so what's the big secret?
    Last edited by S4saken; 09-09-2012 at 02:50 PM.

The big secret is how dumb you are. Color code and name were found with about 5 seconds of googling. It's a stock color....so that means it has a paint code. It's NOT a candy...nor is the camaro you posted...that's a stock color to that car as well. I didn't post the paint code because it was easy as fu k to find and I do t believe in spoon feeding everyone who refuses to use deductive reasoning or logic to find the information they seek.

The OPs picture is just over-processed....giving it that look. I have a background in photography, I would know.
    02' Miata

Quote Originally Posted by Doppelgänger View Post
    The big secret is how dumb you are. Color code and name were found with about 5 seconds of googling. It's a stock color....so that means it has a paint code. It's NOT a candy...nor is the camaro you posted...that's a stock color to that car as well. I didn't post the paint code because it was easy as fu k to find and I do t believe in spoon feeding everyone who refuses to use deductive reasoning or logic to find the information they seek.

The OPs picture is just over-processed....giving it that look. I have a background in photography, I would know.
    Lol I'm dumb. Only uneducated people resort to bashing when they have no real why to state facts. Over-processing a photo is your way of getting the look in the photo but candy paint is how you get that look in REAL LIFE.

The op isn't looking for Shoreline Drive Blue (WU8), he's looking for the effect that is IN the picture. What are we in grade school? Can't think of anything to say so you say "your stupid" or "your momma"? You fail, you keep painting cars with your camera and computer.

Stupid is suggesting these 2 colors are the same:

Last edited by S4saken; 09-09-2012 at 04:56 PM.

You're too easy. I never said the OPs picture was photoshopped to get the color, just the effect... aka "the cady" you so adamantly swear it is (clearly you have not even bothered to look up what a HDr photo looks like either). In fact ,the color is a simple OEM color from one of the Big Three that was use on mundane econo boxes. I could go on and on, insulting your intelligence (or lack thereof), but you really wouldn't get it and you will not listen anyway.

Oh and no, I'm not posting the color code because if you were such hot shit, you would have figured it out by now. But instead, you think I was stating that it was the OE Hyundai blue that was photoshopped to look different. My God you are dumb.
    02' Miata

The debate isn't about the picture being photoshopped anymore, I never said it wasn't, why would I argue that if I know nothing about pshop? What I do know is how a body shop would achieve the effect of the picture on an actual real car.

I couldn't careless what the actual paint code for that car is, the op wanted to know. I also know that miata you posted is a custom teal metallic paint job so it doesn't fit your description of "a simple OEM color from one of the Big Three". So what is it? Is it the same as the miata or an OE color? Please bless us with your infinite wisdom of google searching.

Yes, it is about the fact the picture is edited because the editing of the picture is what has added depth/range to the colors and reflections on the car that you are calling "candy".
    Fact- the car in the OP doesn't actually look like that. It is edited to look like that. The actual color of that car is posted below. The color is a OE code. If the OP'er wants his car to look exactly like the color in the OP, then it would be a custom color because the color in the picture is edited and the actual color of the car would then be irrelavant. It would be easy to assume the OP'er was interested in the car's actual color.

So with your reasoning, this Lamborghini is a "candy" grey...because of the light and dark effect to the paint that is the same as the Genesis in the OP.

Oh and here, here is another shot of the same car without a bunch of photo editing...

Last edited by Doppelgänger; 09-10-2012 at 08:40 AM.
    02' Miata

Nah the lambo would just be a metallic silver.

And the second car is a Genesis your right about that but it's not the exact same Genesis. Different rims, 2nd pic is debadged, rear defusers are different and first one has some kind of decal on the rear window but that's getting off the subject huh?

lMAO- IT IS the same car. I just pulled it from the guy's website. People do change things on their cars you know. It's the same car just without the post processing.

But since you clearly do not believe me and must be spoon-fed information that you cannot look up yourself...

Or I could have edited the picture and added the stickers, diffuser and emblem.... :facepalm:
    02' Miata

I don't give two shits about the color but the white wheels look awesome on that car.
    Quote Originally Posted by Echonova View Post
    Bitches love bacon.

Dammit, I was having fun proving S4 dude how wrong he was about the car....damn.
    02' Miata

No you actually did a better job proving yourself wrong. I originally said the car was teal. You posted a teal miata saying it was an OE color. The miata was a custom teal metallic paint. You later said the genesis was an OE color from " one of the big three", then you came back and indeed proved this to be Jon Jon's genesis (bravo, I seen that car in a google search on day 2 but didn't think it was the same) but by proving this was the same car you also disproved what you said earlier about it being an OE color, this genesis is CUSTOM dark metallic teal/black paint.

So what exactly did you prove me wrong about? That it was shopped? I never disputed that as I admitted in an earlier post, I know little about photoshopping.

That it's not candy paint? Touché, indeed it's not. Can candy paint achieve the look of op's pic? Yes it very much can this is really my only argument and I still believe this.

That the paint job is not OE and no longer has a paint code? I'll credit you with this one also because you did all the work in proving this also.

The real question is did the op want a dark metallic teal paint job or does he want the effect of his picture?
    Last edited by S4saken; 09-13-2012 at 05:42 PM.

No shit the Miata was not a stock color, but the Gen and the Miata both used the same paint code as a base for their cars. Were the codes modified? I know the Miata modified the paint code a bit, but not enough to really change the color overall...he still describes the color as the code + a bit of shading.

So how come on the GenCoupe forum does he actually list the color (which has a specific code) in his signature if it's completely "custom". Sure you can read the canibeat article, but did you dig deeper?

General Motors makes "Dark Dragonfly Teal" and has a paint code of WA927(L). How is that NOT an OEM color when a quick search reveals all of this information? Sure, the car's application of paint was custom since it didn't come from the factory in this color, but the color itself is not entirely "custom". I know what it's like to have a car painted in a color that is not stock nor made by the same manufacturer. I had my old Miata painted Snow White Pearl Mica..but to keep conversation easy, I just called it a custom pearl white paint job (unless talking to someone who I'd know would know the actual color). I'd feel very safe betting that the owner of the Gen Coupe calls his "custom dark teal" just to make things easy...and to keep the copycats to a minimum.

You came off the bat and said it was a "candy". I stated that the "candy" effect of the picture was due to photo processing and posted up another picture of the same car (that you said wasn't the same car) to prove the car in the original picture posted didn't really look like that. I am well aware that candy can be used to look like that, but to answer the OPs question, the car was NOT candy.
    Last edited by Doppelgänger; 09-18-2012 at 02:49 PM.
    02' Miata

I enjoyed reading this thread.

I guess this is as far as S4saken looked for the color...which was published back in April. As you can see in the other post, as of Augus, he still lists the Dark Dragonfly as the color....which I'm sure he would have updated to 'custom dark teal' if anything had changed.....if you want to get picky.

02' Miata