Thread: automatic sports car

Default automatic sports car

looking to buy a second car that is more tuner friendly. only problem is after a recent bike accident I can't drive a stick anymore. any suggestion on good automatic sports cars? I was looking into an rx8 automatic. anyone ever driven one? is it any good or complete garbage?
    Thanks

a buddy of mine has an automatic rx8...man..that car is slow as balls..when i was driving it, i remembered that my single slammer civic pulled harder than that car..

Never go full retard

Yeah, I remember at least the first year or two of production, the auto RX8 had noticeably less HP than the manual. I want to say something like 40-60 less (as ridiculous as that sounds). It'll still be fun in the twisties though.

Edit: yeah, I'm sure there's a more concise site to compare the two, but the Manual makes 238 hp while the automatic only makes 197 hp.
    Manual:
    http://www.edmunds.com/mazda/rx-8/2004/features-specs.html?style=100222015
    Auto:
    http://www.edmunds.com/mazda/rx-8/2004/features-specs.html?style=100220565

Again, this might have changed in more recent years, I just remember this from a Mazda driving event back in the day.
    Last edited by Deke; 07-10-2012 at 11:34 PM.

hang a left, make a right and you're there

i would say look into a g35, i would go with like an IS300, as long as you keep with the maintenance of the tranny you should be fine, the GS300 are not bad either

my mom's fusion is fun to drive lol

Emergency Medical Tech

Get auto 240sx. It's fun to drive.

You don't know how STRONG you are until being strong is the only
    CHOICE you have!

'Born Ready!',LJ

hang a left, make a right and you're there

oh yeah DONT get an rx8

Not sure what your budget is but the Camaro ZL1 comes in an automatic.

2013 GT500
    1989 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by Franco Tirador View Post
    oh yeah DONT get an rx8
    x2

for a few bucks more you can buy an auto 350Z....which is a MUCH better car.

GTR....just saying

Pontiac G8, tons of aftermarket backing for LS engines. And they handle very well in stock form.
    Wats ur budget if u dnt mind me asking?

Certified Gearhead BenjaminJunu's Avatar

i would get an altima coupe because they have a beautiful automatic transmission and if turbo the car it will be fast as hell.

Either an altima coupe, g35, or z. I would recommend a Prelude if you wanted something really different, but it's hard to find them in good condition and the auto trannys have a rather bad reputation. Anyway, Altima, g35, or z.

Senior Member | IA Veteran

The new auto behind the Mivec is one of the smoothest shifting autos ive ever driven. It feels like it has 1 really long gear most of the time, you cant tell it's shifting unless youre looking at your tach trying to spot the shift, you hit the gas and it just pulls smoothly. The ralliart model is turbo and has suspension upgrades. Car and driver refers to it as "almost evo performance". 4 doors, big and comfortable, endless exterior aftermarket. Not that expensive either, a 2008 is around 10k. Nice compromise if you want overly aggressive looks in a car your grandmother could take to the supermarket.

Certified Gearhead

If you're considering muscle. Get a srt8. Ive had mine for a while and love it.
    signatures are whack :idb:

Senior Member | IA Veteran Kyle's Avatar

Price range?

CTS-V?
    ***Lotus Elise***

BlackWatchRacing
    /Sector111/Larini Exhausts/Difflow Diffusers/Classic Livery of Atlanta Paint/APR Performance

Quote Originally Posted by E36slide View Post
    I may not be as book savey as the next guy but i posses a vast knowledge based street smarts.

price range is from 15 to low 20's. thinking of gti with dsg but they have gone up crazy high price wise. I bought my 03 back in the day brand new with every option for less than 22k now for a loaded gti its over 30k. effing crazy

Quote Originally Posted by deutshwise View Post
    price range is from 15 to low 20's. thinking of gti with dsg but they have gone up crazy high price wise. I bought my 03 back in the day brand new with every option for less than 22k now for a loaded gti its over 30k. effing crazy
    Yeah I had a Mk4 too, ever since the Mk5 they have been pricey. The following are a mix of my top choices and just food for thought that are in that range...

Tier 1
    E46 M3 SMG (closest you'll get to a manual without a clutch)
    Boxster S

Tier2
    B6 Audi S4
    Audi TT
    Infiniti G35
    Pontiac GTO
    Corvette
    GTI
    ***Lotus Elise***

BlackWatchRacing
    /Sector111/Larini Exhausts/Difflow Diffusers/Classic Livery of Atlanta Paint/APR Performance

I may not be as book savey as the next guy but i posses a vast knowledge based street smarts.

IA.COM Founder.

You can get an early Vette C5 for around 20k or less.. Probably best bang for the buck.

Don like 2 prof reed

My friend got a brand new Gti for 24k. You can absolutely find one for the right price on the low side of your budget
    Alpha-N /// Youtube - NASA - PCA - BMW CCA - Chin

I found the DSG on the GTI to be kinda dissapointing. I would Look for a ralliart Lancer or Evo X.
    Try not. Do or Do not.

Get something with a tiptronic tranny that way you get more a bit more power and are still in control of when you shift

Quote Originally Posted by
    [B
    Tier2[/B]
    B6 Audi S4
    Audi TT
    Infiniti G35
    Pontiac GTO
    Corvette
    GTI
    B5 Audi S4 > B6 Audi S4
    Just sayin... I'll spank any B6/B7 S4 and most B8 supercharged S4s

Quote Originally Posted by S4saken View Post
    B5 Audi S4 > B6 Audi S4
    Just sayin... I'll spank any B6/B7 S4 and most B8 supercharged S4s
    Its a very fast car, never said it wasn't....its unreliable and not fun to work on. To change the thermostat you need to pull the engine and the timing belt(thats the beginning of problems), plus most B5's have 100k plus miles.
    ***Lotus Elise***

BlackWatchRacing

I love b5 audi s4's. just sad that now that they are cheap so many young kids have gotten hold of them and have turned them into stupid fad cars. tow hooks, front lip, bike rack, etc. so I'd rather spend a little extra time saving up money and getting a newer supercharged S4. But I've actually ended up buying a 2012 GTI with the dsg. DSG is awesome shifts freaking awesome. big upgrade from a regular automatic. just very cautious of future service and repairs on that car. DSG seems complicated and prob expensive to repair

I love b5 audi s4's. just sad that now that they are cheap so many young kids have gotten hold of them and have turned them into stupid fad cars. tow hooks, front lip, bike rack, etc. so I'd rather spend a little extra time saving up money and getting a newer supercharged S4. But I've actually ended up buying a 2012 GTI with the dsg. DSG is awesome shifts freaking awesome. big upgrade from a regular automatic. just very cautious of future service and repairs on that car. DSG seems complicated and prob expensive to repair
    Nice! Color? 2door/4door?
    ***Lotus Elise***

BlackWatchRacing

Good choice, glad you went with a VAG car. Enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Its a very fast car, never said it wasn't....its unreliable and not fun to work on. To change the thermostat you need to pull the engine and the timing belt(thats the beginning of problems), plus most B5's have 100k plus miles.
    Yea, you ain't lyin'. I'm a sucker for boost though and kinda like working on my engine, as crazy as it sounds. I'm just not a fan of B6/B7 S4 at all, the power delivery is so smooth that it doesn't feel fast, the driving experience is rather "meh", I'd prefer an E46 M3. Now the B8 S4 is another story, Audi should keep the S4 force induced IMO.