Results 1 to 40 of 61

Thread: Forums...and the car scene

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Default

    There is a small problem with all of this. What happens if you actually LIKE what is popular and "in". When you do it, are you "selling out" or "copying" the last guy that did it? Are you being unoriginal for doing to your car what YOU think looks good even though thousands of people have already done it?

    I think it's unfair to say that people care too much what other people think. Maybe it's because I am one of those people that did to my car what everyone else did or maybe it's because I am one of those people that did to my car what everyone else did BECAUSE IT IS WHAT I LIKED.

    People tell me all the time, "man, I wish my Integra looked as good as yours" or "man, your Integra is my inspiration"...it's not because they want to copy me or because they can't think for themselves, it's because it fucking looks good and who are you guys to say otherwise?

    I am not trying to start shit here or tell anyone that their opinion on the subject is wrong, I am just saying you have to be careful about what you are saying. When you have (for example) millions of Honda enthusiasts across the globe, people are bound to replicate what other people have done...it's mathematically impossible for everyone to be original.
    "Cool car" less.

    Anti-Nutswingers Crew - Member # 001

  2. #2
    Senior Member | IA Veteran quickdodgeŽ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    In your soul
    Age
    56
    Posts
    71,805
    Rep Power
    130

    Default

    [QUOTE=GAtegs;38513565] Are you being unoriginal for doing to your car what YOU think looks good even though thousands of people have already done it?

    Yes. Even though you are doing something that everyone has already done because you like it, you are being unoriginal. True. But it doesn't mean you can't do it.

    Quote Originally Posted by GAtegs View Post
    I think it's unfair to say that people care too much what other people think.
    I disagree to a point. Online forums have brought it to the point that people DO CARE what others think. The ones that care the most are the ones that get mad if someone says something negative about their car.

    Quote Originally Posted by GAtegs View Post
    People tell me all the time, "man, I wish my Integra looked as good as yours" or "man, your Integra is my inspiration"...it's not because they want to copy me or because they can't think for themselves, it's because it fucking looks good and who are you guys to say otherwise?
    I do agree here. If you like the way a car looks and want to emulate it to an extent, go for it. And who am I to say otherwise? Exactly. I used to be bad about popping in a thread and saying a car looked like shit. Now a I have a tasteful attitude about it. If I say a negative about a car, I always try to follow up with a positive; "I don't care for the paint, but the wheels look great." And I don't blatantly bash it; "Paint looks like shit."


    Quote Originally Posted by GAtegs View Post
    When you have (for example) millions of Honda enthusiasts across the globe, people are bound to replicate what other people have done...it's mathematically impossible for everyone to be original.
    Impossible is correct, sir, lolol. Later, QD.
    FOR MORE INFO, CLICK THE PIC!!!


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
ImportAtlanta is a community of gearheads and car enthusiasts. It does not matter what kind of car or bike you drive, IA is an open community for any gearhead. Whether you're looking for advice on a performance build or posting your wheels for sale, you're welcome here!
Announcement
Welcome back to ImportAtlanta. We are currently undergoing many changes, so please report any issues you encounter with the site using the 'Contact Us' button below. Thank you!