Thread: ◄◄Turbo Gurus Help Please►►

Default ◄◄Turbo Gurus Help Please►►

Ok, I am a tubro noob. I know a little about turbo's just not a ton. I am looking to do a single turbo setup and run about 7 psi max on my truck. I was gonna go ahead and purchase a turbo but dont know what style or anything I should look for. I know there are internal and external wastegated turbos. Which would be better?

I found a turbo setup with these specs:

-Compressor Wheel Major Dia 76.2

-Compressor Wheel Minor Dia 56.5

-Compressor Trim 54.98

-Exhaust Wheel Major dia 66.3

-Exhaust Wheel Minor dia 56.3

-Exhaust Trim 72.11

-Compressor AR .50

-Turbine AR . 63

- 38mm External Wastegate Setup

Does that seem like a decent sized turbo? I dont really know the difference in the trim and all that good stuff. With the internal or external wastegate, can I run an electric boost controller on either or is the internal one set at a certain psi and same with the external? All turbo info would be very much appreciated and returned w/ +13

-Ant.
    The Carbon Fibered R6

ATL's Slow3st DSM!!! Ronsam2006's Avatar

This seems like a typical 50 trim turbo. It would be a very nice setup for you truck since you have a V6 to spool with. It would likely hit 7 or 13 psi very quickly and you could expect to make 10-12 hp per psi.

Oh and internal wastegates turbos will end up costing less, however you might experience boost creep or spikiing which means if you are tuned and setup for 13 psi, sometimes the internal wastegate may be too small that may cause you to hit 13 psi, but then slowly boost up to like 15 psi. Spiking is when you might hit 13 psi really quick and then drop down and only hold 10 psi.

I would get external setup with this turbo or anything bigger because you may want to run more boost one day and then you don't have to upgrade turbos becasue of boost creep.
    Last edited by Ronsam2006; 09-05-2008 at 10:29 AM.

Well, the turbo i listed considered a small turbo? Spooling up in lower rpms? I can't really go above 9psi I heard in the pick up.

-Ant.
    The Carbon Fibered R6

Hit refresh, I edited...

Oh my bad in my previous post I posted everything as 13psi lolol because I read your last few words in your opening post as "retuned with 13 psi" and not "returned with 13+" lolol

You need to look at the compressor map. That will tell you where it will make maximum power at certain psi.

^like i know what the hell that is.

-Ant.
    The Carbon Fibered R6

283.5°.516"(13.11mm) DirtyMechanic's Avatar

Ant come to the next sonic meet. i have a friend that knows quiet a bit about turbos... external is the way to go... so thats first..... PSI means nothing... how much power can you make on the stock block. a small turbo will spool real quick then fizzle out on the top end. but you have to run higher psi. like 20psi or you can get a larger turbo and run a lower psi but still make the same power as the 20psi turbo... its all on how and where you want to spool and how much power you can make on the stock block... any idea what is roughly the safe point of that block. i heard in 500whp... but i really have no idea.
    The G Spot Hero

"Nitrous is like a hot girl with STDS, you know you want to hit it but your afraid of the consequences."

have you checked out the squires turbo system? if i remember correctly, you had a tacoma in your sig, well they make a kit for it. i don't know the difference between the x-runner and regular tacoma, but they got some pretty decent numbers out of a regular tacoma:

4 lbs of boost
    60% hp increase
    59% tq increase
    2.75 seconds shaved off of 1/4 time

the turbo they use is a garret T04B s-trim .58 a/r. that seems damn good to me. here's a link to the tacoma section of their site: http://www.ststurbo.com/toyota_tacoma

here's another good link that explains turbo lingo: http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob...tech102.html#b

damnnn you'z gettin smarterrrr stephen w00t...

so were you buying or selling that fmic at the V ant?
    Quote Originally Posted by Echonova View Post
    And I do drive a Miata, so I am gayer than a three dollar bill...

^selling. Im gonna have a big mouth FMIC just like my stand did.

stephen-is that the STS kit? The rear mount? That thing is almost 6k dollars. No way Im paying that much. Yea it has a lot of extra goodies but Not for 6k.

-Ant.
    The Carbon Fibered R6

Precision 62mm Turbo. Its a 6262. T3/T4. Billet compressor Wheel.
    .63 Rear Housing

Is that a big ass turbo? It sounded big...but i dunno...
    [img]file:///C:/Users/TRYMY4.0/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg[/img]
    -Ant.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -turbo10-jpg  
    The Carbon Fibered R6

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyF
    ^selling. Im gonna have a big mouth FMIC just like my stand did.

stephen-is that the STS kit? The rear mount? That thing is almost 6k dollars. No way Im paying that much. Yea it has a lot of extra goodies but Not for 6k.

-Ant.

that is the STS kit i posted. i know it's expensive, but you can still achieve those gains without spending that type of money. it's hard to just tell you "that's a great turbo!" when deciding on a turbo, there's a lot of factors that come into play (type of vehicle, engine size, engine performance, type of performance gains you're looking for, etc.). STS has done all of the research/leg work for you, with GREAT gains. personally, i'd mimic their setup which would give you the same types of gains. i'd purchase the same turbo & wastegate (which you could find cheaper used/rebuilt/or just get it new), and then have a shop build the exhaust/intake piping for you. i'd also find out what type of tuning/fuel system they use, and get that. i'm sure you could copy that kit for half the price and have the same results.

like i said though, it's hard for just anyone to tell you what size turbo is ideal for your application. find ANY KIT designed for your truck (doesn't necessarily have to be STS), and save yourself the money but putting the kit together yourself, using their specs. just my 2 cents.

I understand. But some people know the specs of turbos like none other and can tell me that'll spool quickly or is too large for my engine application and will spool at 5k+ and is pointless. I just dont want TOO small of a turbo or TOO large.

-Ant.

edit-also on some turbo there is a bolt or nipple on the intake side of the turbo. I saw pics and there is a vacuum line on it but some other turbos dont have that..... damn this ish is confusing.
    The Carbon Fibered R6

i have a precision sc-61 on my stock ls sh1t spools quite nicely at 4000 rpms, top ends crazy. .63 a/r
    FL

what is your motor displacement?
    i understand your model truck from the factory has plenty of down low power...so i would go for a little bigger turbo, i would go external with the wastegate with a synapse, synapse is the best i have ever seen but there not a HUGE name just yet so there products are still reasonably priced, i have a BOV from synapse as well sitting on my bench, but i would go with a lil bigger turbo, i have a GT40R garrett but i think that would be overkill, i'll keep an eye on this thread homie. here is the synapse website.
    http://www.synapseengineering.com/ they have quite a few dyno sheets and vids on there to check out.

the nipple on most is for an external wastegate

I have a 4.0L DOHC engine. They can come stock with the TRD roots style blower at 7-8psi. So A turbo at 7-8psi will make much better gains. I am looking for a turbo that spools at 3k so the AR .50 is too small or maybe a tad small? I also found turbos that are T70's. Is that large? I figured that was a monster of a turbo. Remember, I am only going for 7-8psi nothing like 15-30.

thanks for the website...gonna check them out now.

-Ant.

fatcatfab? Bruce is gonna do my setup!
    The Carbon Fibered R6

Certified Gearhead SleepingTalon's Avatar

62mm turbo on a 4.0l motor will have violent spool. It will come on very fast, and is enough turbo for 650whp+. A 61mm turbo on a supra can make over 1.0 bar at 3500rpm, and that's only a 3.0 liter engine. The exhaust (A/R) housing is too small though. You'll wanna go a bit bigger, or the torque will drop off very quickly due to the back pressure in the housing.

WRX on Roids

The turbo in your OP will be good for a boost in hp and more than likely would not pop your motor. If you run a sixty something trim then the power will come in too suddenly and thats what fubars things. Shock load kills. External Wastegates are better for boost control than internal and manual boost controllers are a gift from the devil. And no matter what anyone says, A tune is the best mod you can do to your force inducted vehicle. I gained 67 awhp and 89 awtq just from a tune. Hope it helps and all the best

a tune does help majorly! do they make something to tune ur truck tho? im good friends with Ed at balanced so i'll give him a shout tomo and see what he says about which turbo to use and what we can tune it with.

You *really* need to do a lot of reading and research on your own before you invest in a pile of crap turbo that you'll never want to use on your truck. You keep referring to how much boost you want to run... this should *NOT* be the basis on what you're looking for in a turbo. As someone stated before, 12psi on turbo A, turbo B, and blower C can yield all sorts of different powerbands, numbers, and violent results. Go on forums made for your truck, do some research, and learn about turbos in general before taking an expensive stab in the dark.

Oh... and you're question about what's big and what's small is all relative to who you're asking and your application. Your typical =>2.0L 4cylinder guy may consider a 53mm GT30R to be "huge" where as another guy with the same car would consider it tiny. Also, there's MANY MANY MANY more factors on what makes a turbo "big" aside from the sizes of their housings.
    www.toyotaofroswell.com
    Current: '04 S2000
    Past 700whp+ Cars: '03 Z06 | '94 Supra | '03 Evo VIII | Too Many...

^i am on a forum for my truck, but they are all running the TRD S/C so there is maybe 1 or 2 guys with turbos and they never post.

So far, there has only been 1 or 2 posts with good actual information. I dont need any info on tunes, I had a mustang with a D-1SC ($6K blower) I know about S/C's. I dont know that much about turbos.

-Ant.
    The Carbon Fibered R6

^i am on a forum for my truck, but they are all running the TRD S/C so there is maybe 1 or 2 guys with turbos and they never post.

So far, there has only been 1 or 2 posts with good actual information. I dont need any info on tunes, I had a mustang with a D-1SC ($6K blower) I know about S/C's. I dont know that much about turbos.

-Ant.
    LIsten to sleepingtalon, he knows what the fucc he is talking about. But I don't think 50 or 62 trim will be hard for that motor to spool, so its upto you. If that's your only vehicle, then I would do 50 trim for reliability, so it spools like a factory turbo and you'll be whooping that ass:idb: ....lol

Thats all I need to know. Thanks homey! I just dont know the trim sizes and all that good stuff. Appreciate it. +13

-Ant.
    The Carbon Fibered R6

Thats all I need to know. Thanks homey! I just dont know the trim sizes and all that good stuff. Appreciate it. +13

-Ant.
    No problem man! Just post up when you get this setup done, because I want to be the first person you race..