Thread: Pontiac Solstice Coupe

Senior Member | IA Veteran VooDooXII's Avatar

Default Pontiac Solstice Coupe

Pontiac Solstice Targa/Coupe

I'd definitely like to get my hands on one of these. I've never been a fan of convertibles, but I've always had a thing for the Solstice...and in coupe form...wow. I think it looks awesome...it actually reminds me a lot of the TVR T350C.

What do you think? I like it a lot.

Definintely a nice upgrade from the drop top. I like it, reminds me of the way older sports cars had stubby back end styling. Some old Ferrari's and whatnot.

Bozzio for president.

I know Mallet does LS2 swaps for the Solstice.

Hah...I guess this with one of those swaps is the closest I'll get to having a TVR in the states. I don't mind...

Haha, just order a TVR swap for one..... Truly unique.

Bozzio for president.

Quote Originally Posted by Revmaynard
    Haha, just order a TVR swap for one..... Truly unique.
    Or just...a proper TVR.

Good call!

oH My BudDa

looks better than the convertible.

Shame its heavier then the vert. Should be better on drag though
    2011 Camero - Fast
    1998 T/A - Slow

Quote Originally Posted by speedminded
    It looks to be a targa top?
    I don't know whyit would'nt be. The chassis is already stiff for convertible purposes, and there are latches at the front already.

^^ Yeah, I drew a frame of a man running on each fan blade. That is him running at idle

It's a targa (magnesium)
    2011 Camero - Fast
    1998 T/A - Slow

www.jasontbarker.com speedminded's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 87 Turbo II
    I don't know whyit would'nt be. The chassis is already stiff for convertible purposes, and there are latches at the front already.
    ...proving why it's so heavy. Build a REAL coupe and I'm sure a couple hundred lbs. could be knocked off.

GM Press release

For release: March 19, 2008
    PONTIAC UNVEILS 2009 SOLSTICE COUPE

Hardtop Extends Appeal of Classic Design

NEW YORK – Drawing inspiration from classic sports cars, the 2009 Pontiac Solstice coupe was created for drivers who appreciate both dramatic styling and balanced performance. Unveiled at the New York Auto Show as a GXP model, the Solstice coupe builds on the success of the convertible model while offering a greater range of all-season driving opportunities.

For drivers still wanting an open-air experience, the coupe also features a removable roof panel, fully opening the cockpit to all of the sensations of the road.

“Today’s Solstice is the top-selling roadster in the U.S., and we believe this new model has even broader appeal,” said Jim Bunnell, Buick-Pontiac-GMC general manager. “The coupe has all the design cues and pleasing performance of the original roadster, and is an all-season alternative for people who enjoy open-air driving.”

The coupe is expected to arrive in Pontiac dealerships in early 2009.

The making of a coupe

The new coupe was inspired by the Solstice coupe concept shown at the North American International Auto Show in 2002. True to the concept, it is a modern sports car with classic lines. The roofline has a “fastback” shape with stylized “rails” that run from the front of the roof to the rear, culminating in a stylish and functional ducktail-style rear spoiler.

The coupe’s roof is fixed aft of the B-pillars, with side windows and a rear liftglass for access to the cargo area. The roof panel is easily removed from the passenger compartment, and an optional soft roof cover stores in the cargo area. A home storage case for the roof panel will be offered through GM Accessories.

Engineering the design

Despite its dramatic new look, engineers made only minor structural changes to create the Solstice coupe. The rear fenders and rear fascia are the same as those on the convertible. New taillight assemblies flow more smoothly into the tapered roofline.

“The Solstice coupe represents a major collaboration of design and engineering,” said Bruce Kosbab, chief engineer. “The sleek lines of the new roof give the car a fresh appearance, yet only minimal changes were made to the body structure – it’s a great example of building on an already solid foundation.”

Lightweight structure

The roof’s structure was strengthened with additional support elements, including an aluminum roof bow attached with aluminum brackets. The bow and brackets are stiff, yet low in mass, a design feature that pervades the coupe’s overall construction. The roof includes a lightweight sheet molding compound cover affixed to a rigid aluminum frame for additional lightweight support. A lightweight magnesium roof panel frame weighs just 31 pounds (14.2 kg) and can be removed by one person. The cover is also made of sheet molding compound.

Powertrain and suspension

Because the change to a coupe body style resulted in only a slight increase in curb weight, no drivetrain or suspension changes were necessary to shift from the convertible body structure. Initial tests have shown that the Solstice coupe will deliver ride and handling, acceleration, braking and fuel economy comparable to the convertible model.

The coupe is powered by a standard 2.4L Ecotec four-cylinder engine that generates 173 horsepower (129 kW), while the GXP version is equipped with a 2.0L turbocharged Ecotec engine with 260 horsepower (194 kW).

Interior additions

Much of the coupe’s interior remains the same as that of the convertible. However, the area behind the seats was redesigned for easy access to the cargo area, and a storage tray was mounted directly behind the headrests.

Removing the folding-top mechanism made way for a new, flat cargo floor and several storage compartments. The cargo area’s covered
    bins provide secure storage for smaller items. Cargo tie-down hooks help secure irregularly shaped items.

# # #

PONTIAC SOLSTICE COUPE PRELIMINARY SPECIFICATIONS

Overview

Models

Pontiac Solstice Coupe, Solstice GXP Coupe

Wheel size and type:

base std: 18-inch x 8-inch five-spoke painted alloy; base opt: 18-inch x 8-inch five-spoke chromed aluminum and polished aluminum alloy
    GXP std: 18-inch x 8-inch five-spoke polished aluminum alloy or chromed aluminum

Tires:

base: P245/45R18 Goodyear Eagle RSA 96V all-season
    GXP: P245/45R18 Goodyear Eagle F1 GS2 96W high-performance

Dimensions

Exterior

Wheelbase (in / mm):

95.1 / 2415

Overall length (in / mm):

157.2 / 3992

Overall width (in / mm):

71.3 / 1810

Overall height (in / mm):

50.9 / 1292

Curb weight, base (lb / kg):

base: 2930 / 1329 (est.)
    GXP: 3018 / 1369 (est.)

Seating capacity:

Headroom (in / mm):

37.4 / 950

EPA interior volume (cu ft / L):

50.8 / 1438

Passenger Volume (cu ft / L)

48.5 / 1373

Cargo volume (cu ft / L), includes storage beneath load floor:

5.6 / 159
    2011 Camero - Fast
    1998 T/A - Slow

Convertable weighs in at ~100 lbs less then the coupe

2011 Camero - Fast
    1998 T/A - Slow

Quote Originally Posted by GhostRL
    Convertable weighs in at ~100 lbs less then the coupe
    It's not a coupe, it's a Targa based on the convertible so it has all the added structural support of a convertible PLUS the added weight of the B and C pillar, rear glass, AND top.

If they built a REAL COUPE that doesn't require all the additional support then it could be made twice as rigid and still lighter.

There is no additional structural support added on the verts. The platform (kappa) was built ground up as a roadster... I understand what you're saying, but it's impossible for them to do that for this reason.
    2011 Camero - Fast
    1998 T/A - Slow

IA Member

damn...i really hope a Sky coupe is in the works....I would love a redline hardtop

Quote Originally Posted by GhostRL
    There is no additional structural support added on the verts. The platform (kappa) was built ground up as a roadster... I understand what you're saying, but it's impossible for them to do that for this reason.
    What it comes down to is it would need to be rebuilt from the groundup to save a couple hundred lbs but we all know that's not going to happen

( . )( . ) inmymouth _Christian_'s Avatar

I like it. The rear looks good, but the front...

Good eye. I think the coupe is better than the vert. I also think way to many people slept on the Soltice/Sky.
    N/A>>><<<BOOST

Supercharged LSJ FTW 01SpectraGSX's Avatar

If they made the Saturn Sky in a coupe that would be kickass! I like it more then the Solstice.

Looks cool, but it seems like anyone over 6'0 would have a tough time getting it. Or so it seems from the photos.

Quote Originally Posted by ironchef
    Looks cool, but it seems like anyone over 6'0 would have a tough time getting it. Or so it seems from the photos.
    I'm 5'10" and I just fit in a Solstice. I sat in one with the top down...if I was a few inches taller, the top of the windshield frame would be right in my sightline...and the seats have very limited adjustability.

Wait...for that matter, how big are Miatas?

I would definitely drive it!
    1997 M3/4/5
    2004 X4 4.4i
    1987 325iS 24V 6speed

mmm dont know why i dont like solstice, the top is def an upgrade, but still..

Photography & Design

I like it. I would love to see more roadsters converted to coupes

NIKON Squad | D90

I wanna see this as the Sky sooo bad. I love the Saturn Sky's looks, and I juuuuuuuust fit inside to where I don't have to bend in any way. A redline hardtop sky would be something for me to look into in the future (as in, 10 years from now in 2019, find a used 2009 model so I can actually afford it)

^^ Yeah, I drew a frame of a man running on each fan blade. That is him running at idle

That looks pretty good. I am sure a Sky version is in the works, and it should look equally, if not even more, phenomenal. I hope this convertible---> "coupe" magic works better for GM than it did for BMW with the Z4 coupe thing. I still have only seen a few of those things on the road.
    G37s 6MT/coupe

Never go full retard

Quote Originally Posted by ironchef
    My thoughts exactly. Great looking car, but I'd look down right silly getting out of that thing (if I could even fit in it to begin with (6'4")).