Thread: straight down pipe

Exclamation straight down pipe

would my car run strong if i run no exhaust or what would happen?

You'll probably make a significant amount of boost over what you normally run (derestricting your snail), since if I'm right honda downpipes are real short, so there's very little backpressure. This is good if your motor can handle it, bad if you're pretty close to the boost limit on the internals setup you have. I'm also assuming you're catless. I say that because I've run the WRX with an open downpipe before and the car ran very strong compared to with the catback on, but the stock downpipe has 2 cats in it and is only 2.5in (backpressure galore) which probably is what prevented serious boost creep. If you have a boost gauge try it, and if you don't get boost creep or any spikes then it should be fine. If you see boost issues, throw that cat back on again if you like your motor. You could always get tuned for the open DP or a straight pipe. Turbos generally dislike any sort of backpressure. You could see some significant gains...once again if your internals can handle it.

Also it's gonna be loud as ****-all, especially with no cats. Just watch out for the blues.
    Last edited by itsnotarex; 03-12-2008 at 11:00 PM. Reason: I suck at spelling, apparently.
    "I get worried when it STOPS leaking."

ATL's Slow3st DSM!!! Ronsam2006's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by itsnotarex
    You'll probably make a significant amount of boost over what you normally run (derestricting your snail), since if I'm right honda downpipes are real short, so there's very little backpressure. This is good if your motor can handle it, bad if you're pretty close to the boost limit on the internals setup you have. I'm also assuming you're catless. I say that because I've run the WRX with an open downpipe before and the car ran very strong compared to with the catback on, but the stock downpipe has 2 cats in it and is only 2.5in (backpressure galore) which probably is what prevented serious boost creep. If you have a boost gauge try it, and if you don't get boost creep or any spikes then it should be fine. If you see boost issues, throw that cat back on again if you like your motor. You could always get tuned for the open DP or a straight pipe. Turbos generally dislike any sort of backpressure. You could see some significant gains...once again if your internals can handle it.

Also it's gonna be loud as ****-all, especially with no cats. Just watch out for the blues.
    Wait how the heck do you know if this guy has a turbo on his car???

its the forced induction section! doh!

ive never had an exhaust on my turbo teg. always open dp. its loud, but not unbearable. you will get tired of it after a while though
    GCO Member
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ronsam2006
    Wait how the heck do you know if this guy has a turbo on his car???
    He posted this in Forced Induction. Also "downpipe" usually = turbo. I imagine he would have said "header" if he was NA.

However (just to be safe), if your car isn't boosted you'll probably lose power and, at worst, burn a valve. NA motors need some backpressure to run properly. I wouldn't do this unless you're boosted.

EDIT: Also worth mentioning that you'll have uncatalyzed exhaust gases creeping into your cabin. Last I checked that isn't terribly good for your health. Just watching out for a fellow IA member.
    Last edited by itsnotarex; 03-13-2008 at 01:20 AM.
    "I get worried when it STOPS leaking."

loud noes not = fast

Just run a well setup exhaust and your car will be fine.

Electric cutout. I got one on the sky... get some strange looks when I open it up, usually the WTF stare.
    2011 Camero - Fast
    1998 T/A - Slow

Barefoot Motorsports

yes sr cutout all day long.

Quote Originally Posted by Big J
    loud noes not = fast

Just run a well setup exhaust and your car will be fine.

Custom Tuning By Daniel Willie.
    Parts, Fabrication, Race Car Prep
    770-319-9605 or [email protected]

yeah its turbo'd and to be honest its not loud at all i mean ive heard single cams on no turbo just open header loud ass hell and my turbo'd zc is like 4 time quieter than that

What they said, I pick up 3lbs of boost with my cutout open over the full catback. It's right at the end of my (relatively short) downpipe.
    2011 Camero - Fast
    1998 T/A - Slow

IA Member

i run a straight pipe out the back on my evo i picked up a some hp on the topend but nothing special
    Your evo mechanic
    anything you need just pm me

I only run open downpipe at the track... the turbo spools quicker with the decrease in backpressure... but as far as daily driving I can't deal with the exhaust gases in the car ....

I have run my car w/ an open down pipe for one night and the motor took a dump. I am not saying that this will happen to your car but it happened in my case. I perfer a quiet exhaust over a loud one. I like to sneak up on people and blow them out of the water.

Senior Member | IA Veteran Catnip's Avatar

I drive my eclipse with just the downpipe and gutted cat (gives it a unique sound) and I haven't had any problems at all.
    Cops don't bother me either.
    '92 C2500 6.5 Turbo Diesel | '96 240sx