Thread: Need help on turbo size..!!

Default Need help on turbo size..!!

I got a new turbo ... to get rid of the ebay one... My problem is the outer sell on the intake side says .60 ar where my old one says .50 ar.. Will i need a retune? The wheels are the same size{ .57/.63} on both ......Will 11 psi still be the same 11 psi? Thanks...
    2009 zx10R
    2005 919
    2006 xt225 dual sport

um yes. you should get a retune anytime you change anything major. and a turbo is about as major as it gets
    GCO Member
    NRA Member

superduper LLLLLLLLL

yup, definitely retune.

basically, it comes down to this...
    you gotta retune just about every time you touch your car.
    changing parts, upping boost, every oil change, etc.

I think it will be fine. What you've got is a slightly bigger compressor inlet, that's all.

if you're so worried about it, just add a little fuel

- and it's not true that you NEED to retune everytime you touch your car. It depends on what you touch, how your car was tuned at first.

Quote Originally Posted by miro_gt
    I think it will be fine. What you've got is a slightly bigger compressor inlet, that's all.

- and it's not true that you NEED to retune everytime you touch your car. It depends on what you touch, how your car was tuned at first.
    please retune it so you dont blow anything up. blown motors suck. its much much safer to retune. miro, if you like to gamble and take chances on your cars, go for it. but dont give that information to others
    GCO Member
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by Goinfasterthanu
    I got a new turbo ... to get rid of the ebay one... My problem is the outer sell on the intake side says .60 ar where my old one says .50 ar.. Will i need a retune? The wheels are the same size{ .57/.63} on both ......Will 11 psi still be the same 11 psi? Thanks...
    you wont need a complete retune, youll need 30-45min touch up to make sure its ok.

Bigger inlet=more air prob a slight bit leaner.

id bolt the turbo on, and contact your tuner and make an appt for a quick session on the dyno

Custom Tuning By Daniel Willie.
    Parts, Fabrication, Race Car Prep
    770-319-9605 or [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by miro_gt

while i understand your statement, we have to be very carefull what we say on boards because people take it to heart.

any component that effects the intake of air or the evacuation or exhaust should require a "retune".

Maybe people are confusing the terms.

TUNING a car from scrap usually takes 2-3 hours.

If he changed something as small as he inlet of the turbo, or a turbo manifold , then a tuning SESSION isnt needed, a quick 30-45min is all you would need.

If you change Injectors or Map sensor, that screws all the colums up and you have to retune from scratch.

If he has no wideband how would he know WHERE to add "a little fuel"?

Flying blind isnt the best advice, taking it to a professional tuner is much more accurate.

So in closing , for safety, yes, have the car checked out by your local tuning shop

Custom Tuning By Daniel Willie.
    Parts, Fabrication, Race Car Prep
    770-319-9605 or [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Batlground
    while i understand your statement, we have to be very carefull what we say on boards because people take it to heart.

any component that effects the intake of air or the evacuation or exhaust should require a "retune".

Maybe people are confusing the terms.

TUNING a car from scrap usually takes 2-3 hours.

If he changed something as small as he inlet of the turbo, or a turbo manifold , then a tuning SESSION isnt needed, a quick 30-45min is all you would need.

If you change Injectors or Map sensor, that screws all the colums up and you have to retune from scratch.

If he has no wideband how would he know WHERE to add "a little fuel"?

Flying blind isnt the best advice, taking it to a professional tuner is much more accurate.

So in closing , for safety, yes, have the car checked out by your local tuning shop

Thank you.... Thats what i needed to know... I was wondering what the diff was ... You anwsered my question 100% ... Thanks..!!
    2009 zx10R
    2005 919
    2006 xt225 dual sport

yeah, disregard my post above, it's for people who know what they are doing, so it may sound confusing for the general public.

go to batlground, they are good guys