View Poll Results: Rota's or Spoon

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rota because i'm cheap.

10 10.31%
  • Rota because they are still good looking wheels.

38 39.18%
  • Spoon because i'm a whore.

18 18.56%
  • Spoon because of functionality.

31 31.96%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: ROTA vs. Spoon

Osaka Sokutatsu mocha latte cupcake's Avatar

there is always a line to be drawn in the sand...

function or form...... Rota is form, Spoon is function.... i DD my Modia KT205r's... i haven't found another set on ebay or any internet site... so if i curb, bend, scratch, or heaven forbid destroy one... i'm screwed.... but i choose not to roll anything BUT JDM.... i'd rather curb my precious wheel than to say oh yeah my car is FULL JDM... except those... they are rotas. (silence...dots) yeah...

i'm not an elitist.... but i can NOT stand it when people refer to wheels as a Jspec, JDM, Jtuned, J anything when it is NOT a japanese wheel or a wheel that falls under the JDM category, its irritating.
    Last edited by mocha latte cupcake; 10-21-2007 at 09:32 PM.

Agreed^^^^

Super Handling

Why don't someone just make a thread about Rota vs Drag. A $200 difference in price and no bias in opinions!

Quote Originally Posted by japan4racing
    i just need to ask this question..how many of the ppl that have posted here actually race with the spoon rims or rotas on there car? becuase if you are dd'ing the spoons you wasted your money. i have had rota's, drag's, and flik's and they all worked great for rolling around under the car. at the track i rock lenso's. i get the feeling there are a bunch of ppl in here that are just on the bandwagon of this jdm bull**** and are so materialistic that they have to have the real deal rims. so please...how many road racers do we have here with spoons on the race car everytime it hits the track...and im not talking about you ran your car 3 times this year...im talking about active competitive road racers, auto-xers, drag racers ect ect ect.
    You're going a little too far with this topic my friend. You're probably older than most the people that replied to this thread. I personally don't have an all out race car yet with the top-dollar parts that have hours upon hours of R&D in their composition, but that doesn't mean I or anyone else who strives to be a weekend track competitor can't be talking or posting in response to this subject. You can't knock the people that have the aspirations to do what you're talking about.
    ][STREETLOVE][

Me personally, I dislike rota not because of the look, but because they made unique one-of-a-kind wheels common. Just say if you had your spoon wheels on an EG before rota dropped their slips, you were unique at that time because no one had a similar wheel. Now if that same person comes out today, he's just any regular EG because Rota took a unique wheel and mass produced it. That's the only reason why I dislike rota. I give Rota props for making some really decent copy, but by mass producing unique rims it kinda took away the "WOW" from the originals.

Quote Originally Posted by spacelion
    You're going a little too far with this topic my friend. You're probably older than most the people that replied to this thread. I personally don't have an all out race car yet with the top-dollar parts that have hours upon hours of R&D in their composition, but that doesn't mean I or anyone else who strives to be a weekend track competitor can't be talking or posting in response to this subject. You can't knock the people that have the aspirations to do what you're talking about.
    Well said mike! One day i will have a track monster w/real wheels

IA Member

friends dont let friends roll on rotas - JDM EGO T-Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by bigdare23
    Me personally, I dislike rota not because of the look, but because they made unique one-of-a-kind wheels common. Just say if you had your spoon wheels on an EG before rota dropped their slips, you were unique at that time because no one had a similar wheel. Now if that same person comes out today, he's just any regular EG because Rota took a unique wheel and mass produced it. That's the only reason why I dislike rota. I give Rota props for making some really decent copy, but by mass producing unique rims it kinda took away the "WOW" from the originals.
    EXACTLY! /THREAD

Certified Gearhead

Quote Originally Posted by PURE jdm
    there is always a line to be drawn in the sand...

function or form...... Rota is form, Spoon is function.... i DD my Modia KT205r's... i haven't found another set on ebay or any internet site... so if i curb, bend, scratch, or heaven forbid destroy one... i'm screwed.... but i choose not to roll anything BUT JDM.... i'd rather curb my precious wheel than to say oh yeah my car is FULL JDM... except those... they are rotas. (silence...dots) yeah...
    If you only DD your car, how is Spoon more functional than Rota? Are Rotas not round? I bought my Rotas because they were the right size, offset, price and because many others have used Rotas for the same purpose in which I wanted to use them (HPDE) with success. Because of the price, I was able to budget money for more important things: tires, brake pads, entry fees (the price difference between Rotas and their brand name counterpart was worth 3-4 track days). To me, they were a purely functional purchase, they look ok, not great but not ugly. And no, they have not broke yet, and most likely won't break soon.
    Please tell me if you think my car looks good. But don't tell me if you think it's ugly - only on IA

Quote Originally Posted by yudalicious
    If you only DD your car, how is Spoon more functional than Rota? Are Rotas not round? I bought my Rotas because they were the right size, offset, price and because many others have used Rotas for the same purpose in which I wanted to use them (HPDE) with success. Because of the price, I was able to budget money for more important things: tires, brake pads, entry fees (the price difference between Rotas and their brand name counterpart was worth 3-4 track days). To me, they were a purely functional purchase, they look ok, not great but not ugly. And no, they have not broke yet, and most likely won't break soon.
    i prefer my lightwheel wheels because when i street race i count my OZ's and it may be dumb to some but i like it that way, stripped, 1/4 tank of gas, lightweight wheels, and on the south beach diet lol (not really but it seemed funny) every pound i have counts to me in my acceleration, deceleration, cornering etc. i don't like Rotas b/c they are trash in my eyes, it has ruined the wow factor of many wheels and i can't stand the outrageous price they charge for a "jdm" look. they are round, however like i said before i won't rock rotas... i did at one time and they were gone within a week b/c they didn't fit me right. i can understand a budget but honestly paying 900+ for your rotas doesn't compete with my LIGHTER, STRONGER, RARER, 350 JDM TRUE JDM wheels. i got love for people lookin to save price but my biggest thing isn't for saving money, its a wow factor.... a functionality factor.... and all round makes me hella happier than looking just like everyone else factor

im not saying that other opinions are not appreciated...what i am saying is ppl are talking about how much better the spoon material is, how much lighter they are, how they are constructed better...so how does this help you on the way to mcdonalds on your lunch break? all of this only matters on the track. regardless of how old you are, how much money you have, or what kinda car you drive. how does having a set of $1500 rims become better than a set of $500 rims when you are daily driving it to work and back?

hell, i dont mean to brag but i am in the process of building a street/drag car. i have dropped tons of money into it. in the last 2 months alone i have dumped nearly 6 grand into it. yea, i make good money..yea, im most likely older than some of the ppl on this forum that are just now getting into cars...but i still rock some drag dr-23 wheels....why? is it because they are accepted in the import community? is it becuase they are "cool"? its actually becuase after dropping nearly a grand on drag wheels and tires i wanted something that was stylish to drive on but didnt cost me an arm and a leg. drag dr-23 15 inch rims with 195 55 15 falken ziex 512's...thats how i roll. 12g's under the hood....$500 under the car!

to each his own. please dont think that i am trying to discount what some of the jdm ppl are saying. if they want it that way then by all means buy those wheels and run them on a dd. but dont tell me the advantages of these race inspired wheels when the only racing you are doing is trying to beat that red light on your way to work. im just tryin to keep the debate alive. at the end of the day i am happy with my purchases...and im sure the jdm guys are too. thats all that really matters

Quote Originally Posted by JDMjoe86
    Again, i glad you put money into your performance, i just couldn't see myself rockin rotas on a car i put money into, its a jdm bandwagon like you said, daily drive oem wheels.

__________________________________________________ ________

So what there are jdm whores out there. I would rather dd a REAL wheel than a rota for the simple reason that im an jdm enthusiast rather another person on the "jdm bandwagon"

did i read something wrong or did you contradict yourself

anyway... im going to bed and i expect to see 2478 votes when i wake up.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 10 (10 members and 0 guests)
    japan4racing, AznChillin, yudalicious, RobbieDB, THX712517, JDMjoe86+, bigdare23, brentS13, Pickleteg

a couple of you guys haven't voted yet

i just realized my user title is so appropriate for this thread!!!

im not saying that other opinions are not appreciated...what i am saying is ppl are talking about how much better the spoon material is, how much lighter they are, how they are constructed better...so how does this help you on the way to mcdonalds on your lunch break? all of this only matters on the track. regardless of how old you are, how much money you have, or what kinda car you drive. how does having a set of $1500 rims become better than a set of $500 rims when you are daily driving it to work and back?

hell, i dont mean to brag but i am in the process of building a street/drag car. i have dropped tons of money into it. in the last 2 months alone i have dumped nearly 6 grand into it. yea, i make good money..yea, im most likely older than some of the ppl on this forum that are just now getting into cars...but i still rock some drag dr-23 wheels....why? is it because they are accepted in the import community? is it becuase they are "cool"? its actually becuase after dropping nearly a grand on drag wheels and tires i wanted something that was stylish to drive on but didnt cost me an arm and a leg. drag dr-23 15 inch rims with 195 55 15 falken ziex 512's...thats how i roll. 12g's under the hood....$500 under the car!

to each his own. please dont think that i am trying to discount what some of the jdm ppl are saying. if they want it that way then by all means buy those wheels and run them on a dd. but dont tell me the advantages of these race inspired wheels when the only racing you are doing is trying to beat that red light on your way to work. im just tryin to keep the debate alive. at the end of the day i am happy with my purchases...and im sure the jdm guys are too. thats all that really matters
    Yeah, I agree with what you're saying, I guess it's just a difference in where we are in both of our lives...you're already at the point I would like to be at when it comes to motorsports
    ][STREETLOVE][

Yeah, I agree with what you're saying, I guess it's just a difference in where we are in both of our lives...you're already at the point I would like to be at when it comes to motorsports

reps for your av!!! steven seagal ftw

Quote Originally Posted by clean_dodge
    did i read something wrong or did you contradict yourself
    No, im an enthusiat! Im not on a bandwagon.

OOOO an enthusiat!!?

DYLAN DYLAN DYLAN DYLAN!1 Black R's Avatar

all of you rota fans need to recognize the fact that the quality control and fit/ finish isn't there. so if it's for a bucket, i fully understand your reluctance to spend the loot on a volk/ spoon/ work, etc. yes they are better than steelies for a daily driver.

now i have had incidents where a rota would've caused me to flip the car vs just bending some volks and walking away from an accident.

I currently own racinghart and volk wheels as well as enkei and rota. I don't even particularly like the design of the 'spoom' wheels.

I have also balanced my own wheels and tires on many occasions - although I don't do it professionally anymore. Take one of your beloved rota's and put it on the balancer without any tires or wheelweights. Wow, they are out of balance and actually wobble straight from the factory! Now I have done this with my racingharts and volks as well and noticed none of those issues whatsoever.

So in conclusion, if you care about your ass on and off track make sure you choose carefully.

I only read of one other guy who actually seems to do lapping days or autox in this thread, and he has rota's. For autox, I'd be less concerned about deformation that I would be for lapping days. But as you know, wheels are a wear item when you are racing..... You have got to have that worry in the back of your mind - 'are my wheels going to fail me this event?'

Quote Originally Posted by Tasuki_Civic
    i woke up to the feeling of someone cutting my clothes from my pants to my bra. all in one cut

you bring up some very good points...but you gotta admit in a place where the highest speed you can legally go is maybe 80mph i dont think these wheels are gonna matter. they have all been approved for use on public highways so they must be safe enough for your daily driver. and i guarantee you cannot tell the difference between a real spoon and a slip while driving to burger king. on the track or at a car show where that **** matters im sure you can find a flaw....but sitting in your driveway i like it. once again...im not trying to sway you guys away from your beloved spoons. im just bringing up good points that should be considered as much as your points are considered. if having the absolute best product is a must then why are we all driving civics to begin with? you cant polish a turd!

you bring up some very good points...but you gotta admit in a place where the highest speed you can legally go is maybe 80mph i dont think these wheels are gonna matter. they have all been approved for use on public highways so they must be safe enough for your daily driver. and i guarantee you cannot tell the difference between a real spoon and a slip while driving to burger king. on the track or at a car show where that **** matters im sure you can find a flaw....but sitting in your driveway i like it. once again...im not trying to sway you guys away from your beloved spoons. im just bringing up good points that should be considered as much as your points are considered. if having the absolute best product is a must then why are we all driving civics to begin with? you cant polish a turd!
    Turd You have had three civics

Alright im done whoreing out this thread................
    Last edited by JDMjoe86; 10-22-2007 at 12:10 PM.

i think its funny that companies like Drag make knock-off Rotas and Rotas are knock-offs themselves... they actually advertise them as "Rota Replicas"... hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by SiRed94
    i think its funny that companies like Drag make knock-off Rotas and Rotas are knock-offs themselves... they actually advertise them as "Rota Replicas"... hahaha
    LOL YUP

XLR8SHEN FOE LizzziFeE iNsTuN nOoDoH's Avatar

I've owned rotas and now I got Volk Te37s... It feels a lot better to have the real deal and the quality of the te's is a lot better than the rotas. I really have no preference on which wheel's I'd rather ride though. I do, however, think that wheels sets any car off big time, so you shouldn't cheap out on them. I got my rotas as temps until i got enough for the te's.

you pay for what you get ...that is all

Quote Originally Posted by SiRed94
    rota does design a couple of their wheels on their own, but with 429874598345 wheels on the market right now you can't tell what's what unless it's a design that is extremely popular or had a lot of media or underground coverage.

__________________________________________________ ______________

FROM THE ROTA WEBSITE.... its worth a read for all you OEM loving folks

HISTORY

Philippine Aluminum Wheels Inc. (PAWI), was established on October 8, 1976 as a joint venture between FPS of Italy and Romeo S. Rojas to engage in the manufacture of alloy wheels in the Philippines.

The company's first production of its Rota brand of wheels was in 1977, with an initial production capacity of 4,000 wheels a month. In just the company's first year, Rota wheels are chosen by Chrysler-Mitsubishi (Philippines) as OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) for its vehicles passing through the stringent OEM specifications of its parent company in Japan.

The following year saw other major car assemblers engaging the services of the company to manufacture their OE wheel requirements for their vehicles. These companies included Ford, Datsun, Isuzu, Mercedes-Benz, Opel and Volkswagen.

In 1983, after seven years of operation, PAWI became a 100% Filipino corporation. It also marked the year that Japanese technology was introduced into the company's manufacturing operations.

In 1988, PAWI develops its "magnesium-strengthened, heat treatable alloy," making Rota wheels lighter yet stronger and more durable. The following year saw a major upgrade of facilities as PAWI introduced state-of-the-art technological improvements in the form of the latest equipment and machines that speed up and improve chemical analysis, machining, painting and finishing. With the comeback of Toyota into the Philippine market, they chose Rota wheels as their OE wheels, as well as Daihatsu.

In 1990, a milestone was met when PAWI hits a record production of 20,000 Rota wheels per month.

Today, PAWI produces alloy wheels of world-class quality, using state-of-the-art technology. A new series of upgrading has since boosted its production capacity to new heights of 50,000 wheels a month. More than ten times of its capacity when it first started.

Nice find sir!
    Off topic but, from enkei's website
    WHAT COMPANIES RELY ON ENKEI'S QUALITY MANUFACTURING STANDARDS?
    A. ENKEI supplies the following companies as Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM): Honda, Mitsubishi, Subaru, Suzuki, Mazda, Toyota, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Nissan, NISMO, GM Holden, General Motors and Ford.

B. ENKEI is Official Supplier in the following racing Series:
    • FIA Formula One (F1): McLaren Mercedes
    • FIA World Rally championship (WRC): Mitsubishi Ralliart
    • All Japan Grand Touring Car Championship (JGTC) GT 500 Class and GT 300 Class
    • Super Taikyu – Endurance Series. Classes 1, 2, 3, 4 and N+
    • D1GP Drifting Championship and Formula Drift Championship. Team RS-R, Team TEIN and Vaughn Gittin “JR” Team FALKEN.

You don't see rota in the formula one
    Last edited by JDMjoe86; 10-22-2007 at 06:05 PM.

Nice find sir!
    wow... a nice comment in this heated battle... +1

Quote Originally Posted by brentS13
    friends dont let friends roll on rotas - JDM EGO T-Shirt
    Your first post on this forum is a ****ing repost from EARLIER IN THE THREAD?!

You won't make it here. Other forums are that way -------------------------->
    --RIP Leisa. Forever In Our Hearts--

--Val for President 1979-2007--
    --RIP Val, You will be missed--

Quote Originally Posted by HalfBaked
    Anytime I'm driving south of I-20 in the perimeter, I play spot the white driver.

Generally I don't count past 10.

Quote Originally Posted by BTLFED
    Your first post on this forum is a ****ing repost from EARLIER IN THE THREAD?!

You won't make it here. Other forums are that way -------------------------->
    word... shut em down... as long as he voted first haha

You don't see rota in the formula one[/color][/font]
    why you gotta ruin your good comment with that ridiculous ass statement... if i ever see a rota on a formula one car i swear to god i will ****ing throw myself onto the track cause the whole field to pile up killing at least 10 people including me and then i want them to say on the news... "all these senseless deaths due to a bad wheel choice of rotas on this million dollar car"... of course you dont see rota in the formula one, they are not even CLOSE to a reasonable quality for going in excess of 225 mph... damnit joe... now you got me all flustered.

::: quote from wiki answers on the cost of a formula one car :::

"With the extensive knowledge of composites necessary today, teams will stop at nothing to gain an advantage. Typical top team budgets are in excess of 350M US$ per year. M Shumacher is still the highest paid athlete in the world I believe, but I could be mistaken with our insane lust for sports in the US...perhaps someone has elcipsed his earnings by now."

in closing... i think they can afford to spend more than $100 a wheel
    Last edited by clean_dodge; 10-22-2007 at 06:59 PM.

i can tell the difference between a 15" rota slip and a 15" spoon w388. Like i stated before, i really dont care about spoon wheels but because of all the bitching and comparing from the past, ive trained my eyes. Physical differences are there, and the finish.
    www.MSSRACING.com - 99 Civic CX - Best ET: 9.53 / Best MPH: 160 - Competition Clutch - Arias Pistons - Coatings M.D. - Mahle-Clevite - ebtec - AHobbs Racing - JKOBD - TDC Performance
    Daily D: 2007 Dodge 2500 MEGA CAB, Cummins Turbo Diesel

LOL You had a point, so i had a point, car manufactors choose rota to make there wheels but so does enkei. I would choose enkei

LOL You had a point, so i had a point, car manufactors choose rota to make there wheels but so does enkei. I would choose enkei
    i thought i made it pretty clear at the beginning of the thread... you were there when i made it... you should know son

don't get me wrong... i love me some JDM hottness and there are some situations in which fake or imitation wheels are absolutely awful so this debate should mostly go for this style wheel. and let's not too personal here
    i don't care about your enkei's... i would buy enkei's for my formula one too but that doesn't pertain to this thread...sir

Quote Originally Posted by SPOOLIN
    i can tell the difference between...:::quote not important to this post:::
    and jesus christ i want to have sex with that EK in your sig

and jesus christ i want to have sex with that EK in your sig
    Suck up

PURE jdm, I totally agree with you on this...

ive seen your car at the varsity i think, i freakin love your wheels

Agreed^^^^

Well said mike!...

suck up

ahahahaahahaha off topic personal attack wins FTMFW!

a lot of people who roll on spoon wheels dont even have the spoon sticker on them, so they just look like any other wheel....Regamaster evos are the real deal, if you want to spend upwards $1600, then you should buy some desmond regamasters and actually keep the sticker on so people will reka-motha****in-ize your JDM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis
    that suede is amazing. It just screams " drive me naked and let my seats caress your nuts"

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast