View Poll Results: Rota's or Spoon

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rota because i'm cheap.

10 10.31%
  • Rota because they are still good looking wheels.

38 39.18%
  • Spoon because i'm a whore.

18 18.56%
  • Spoon because of functionality.

31 31.96%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: ROTA vs. Spoon

Quote Originally Posted by yudalicious
    That's just my opinion from my experience, if you have something useful to say, say it. But okay.
    So, without knowing any of us "talking about the craftsmanship" of the wheels, you assume that we all just "parking lot pimpin?" That's retarded.
    --RIP Leisa. Forever In Our Hearts--

--Val for President 1979-2007--
    --RIP Val, You will be missed--

Quote Originally Posted by HalfBaked
    Anytime I'm driving south of I-20 in the perimeter, I play spot the white driver.

Generally I don't count past 10.

Certified Gearhead

Quote Originally Posted by BTLFED
    So, without knowing any of us "talking about the craftsmanship" of the wheels, you assume that we all just "parking lot pimpin?" That's retarded.
    The comment wasn't directed at anyone here in particular, more of a rant, though there's plenty of people (not on IA necessarily) who are deserving of my statement. It really comes down to a personal choice but I don't need a close minded fool telling me that my rotas are imminently close to failing (actual argument on IA). In the end it's about responsible usage, maybe someday I'll make enough money to rock volks, but I'll still be checking them before and after events.
    Please tell me if you think my car looks good. But don't tell me if you think it's ugly - only on IA

The comment wasn't directed at anyone here in particular, more of a rant, though there's plenty of people (not on IA necessarily) who are deserving of my statement. It really comes down to a personal choice but I don't need a close minded fool telling me that my rotas are imminently close to failing (actual argument on IA). In the end it's about responsible usage, maybe someday I'll make enough money to rock volks, but I'll still be checking them before and after events.
    Well that is understandable, and I agree to a point. I'm also not saying that your Rotas are "imminently close to failing" I am saying that I have seen more fail in an actual race environment. Yours may be fine.

Anytime I'm driving south of I-20 in the perimeter, I play spot the white driver.

Certified Gearhead

Quote Originally Posted by BTLFED
    Well that is understandable, and I agree to a point. I'm also not saying that your Rotas are "imminently close to failing" I am saying that I have seen more fail in an actual race environment. Yours may be fine.
    the fool comment wasn't directed at you. I think, with the amount of anecdotal and my own experience using rotas, I'll be fine with them.
    Please tell me if you think my car looks good. But don't tell me if you think it's ugly - only on IA

the fool comment wasn't directed at you. I think, with the amount of anecdotal and my own experience using rotas, I'll be fine with them.
    Well then rock on.

Between money spent on tires, brakes, entry fee, gas, parts wear and tear, if I can get away with cheap knockoff wheels that function well, I'll do just that. I've yet to see spoons or too many "real" wheels on track, but I've seen plenty of rotas. It's funny that the only people who will bring up the quality and construction are the ones who do their racing with their mouths in the parking lot. Yes I know a particular model of rotas broke in the past, yes I know rota has since then corrected the problem, and yes I check my wheels before every event, regardless of their brand.

i agree! moswt that spend that money on expensive wheels, just take pics and really arent gonna have the ned for them.

myfonti, spacelion, xlilvi3tx... i see yall on my thread! so vote

You forgot one choice in the poll that's more important than any of those...the quality of the wheel that Spoon provides over the likes of Rota. The OP obviously only cares about the look of the product. Minor details seperate the true enthusiasts from the trend riders; it seperates the ones that truly appreciate the work and effort that goes into what they rock versus just the LOOK of it. Simply put: consumers get what they pay for.
    ][STREETLOVE][

Quote Originally Posted by spacelion
    You forgot one choice in the poll that's more important than any of those...the quality of the wheel that Spoon provides over the likes of Rota. The OP obviously only cares about the look of the product. Minor details seperate the true enthusiasts from the trend riders; it seperates the ones that truly appreciate the work and effort that goes into what they rock versus just the LOOK of it. Simply put: consumers get what they pay for.
    well vote spoon for functionality... because the rota is obviously not going to be as tough or light or made of the same material as the spoon or it would not be so cheap so there really shouldn't be an option for "i choose rota because they are higher quality than spoon".

Quote Originally Posted by clean_dodge
    well vote spoon for functionality... because the rota is obviously not going to be as tough or light or made of the same material as the spoon or it would not be so cheap so there really shouldn't be an option for "i choose rota because they are higher quality than spoon".
    I don't really understand what that last part means But yeah I voted for Spoon's functionality.
    ][STREETLOVE][

Quote Originally Posted by PURE jdm
    Spoon - one of the highest and greatest parts makers for honda ever... the wheels are known as SW388's or to the NON honda community the Desmond Regamaster EVO's. its a simple and great wheel to a JDM whore its like GOLD. it definately gets alot of respect from people not matter if they are rockin Volks/works/Advan whatever... the spoon is still like wow, you got SW388's? they are light and its a name brand thing in the end but honestly... i'd rather rock the ORIGINAL and ultimately the BETTER wheel.

Weight: 3.88 kg.... aka 8.55 pounds for 15's

Rota - the wannabe jdm... aka we copy every cool wheel design and sell them at more "tuner friendly" prices. i can't stand them, sure they don't weight as little weighing in at a stunning 12.3 pounds per 15" of rota grade metal... they are more appealing b/c you can get them in a variety of colors where are the Desmonds were offered generally in grey. i don't like rotas b/c i consider it cheaping out for what you "ultimately" want. but hey thats my preference... jdm, J-spec, OEM JDM is the way the car generally came and it was "down tuned, retarded, hated, shunned, and pooped upon" to come to america... so people going for the JDM status shouldn't rock these wheels... but if your going for a "JDM" look where you wanna buy things that are JDM style as opposed to TRUE JDM... then go for it... but truthfully... i cry everytime i see a riceboy with rotas and call them jdm....

just my 2 pennies worth
    Nicely put.
    ][STREETLOVE][

Quote Originally Posted by spacelion
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to spacelion again.

MOST HATED

I would get the Spoon wheels or the Regamaster Evo alternative.....

The argument has been made that ppl that buy the authentic wheels don't use them for the intended purposes but how many ppl rocking Rota's actually drive their car at track days?

IMO, ppl buy Rota's to emulate the "jdm look" but then are quick to point out the fact that ppl with the real deal wheels don't have them for the functionality when they are called out on having fake wheels.....

Attn: Here's where you can purchase your shirts They don't have any med. so im gonna have to wait.
    http://www.iloveracing.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_17&products_id=898

Super Handling

Nothing wrong with putting Rotas on your car. Of course anyone given the option of having either would choose Spoon. But not everyone has that much extra money. They could invest the extra into something else. If I had an S2000, I would get the Spoons, but I have a Civic, I would rather get the Rotas. But I don't have Rotas

Quote Originally Posted by TypeRPersonality
    Nothing wrong with putting Rotas on your car. Of course anyone given the option of having either would choose Spoon. But not everyone has that much extra money. They could invest the extra into something else. If I had an S2000, I would get the Spoons, but I have a Civic, I would rather get the Rotas. But I don't have Rotas
    I'd rather rock stockies over Rota's...whether I had a Civic, Integra, S2000 or even a Suby (since they're popular with Suby's too...)
    ][STREETLOVE][

RE30

Quote Originally Posted by TypeRPersonality
    x2 just my

DYLAN DYLAN DYLAN DYLAN!1 Black R's Avatar

Cool

i bought some custom 15x8 rota's but couldn't bring myself to put them on my car.....

it's like do you shop at walmart for your shoes, or do you go to niketown?

there are some things you simply shouldn't skimp on.....

Quote Originally Posted by Tasuki_Civic
    i woke up to the feeling of someone cutting my clothes from my pants to my bra. all in one cut

i just need to ask this question..how many of the ppl that have posted here actually race with the spoon rims or rotas on there car? becuase if you are dd'ing the spoons you wasted your money. i have had rota's, drag's, and flik's and they all worked great for rolling around under the car. at the track i rock lenso's. i get the feeling there are a bunch of ppl in here that are just on the bandwagon of this jdm bull**** and are so materialistic that they have to have the real deal rims. so please...how many road racers do we have here with spoons on the race car everytime it hits the track...and im not talking about you ran your car 3 times this year...im talking about active competitive road racers, auto-xers, drag racers ect ect ect.

i have given away too rep points today according to the vBulletin, so i will rep the people i didn't get a chance to in 24 hours

and remember to VOTE... don't just post... VOTE

Quote Originally Posted by japan4racing
    i just need to ask this question..how many of the ppl that have posted here actually race with the spoon rims or rotas on there car? becuase if you are dd'ing the spoons you wasted your money. i have had rota's, drag's, and flik's and they all worked great for rolling around under the car. at the track i rock lenso's. i get the feeling there are a bunch of ppl in here that are just on the bandwagon of this jdm bull**** and are so materialistic that they have to have the real deal rims. so please...how many road racers do we have here with spoons on the race car everytime it hits the track...and im not talking about you ran your car 3 times this year...im talking about active competitive road racers, auto-xers, drag racers ect ect ect.
    So what there are jdm whores out there. I would rather dd a REAL wheel than a rota for the simple reason that im an jdm enthusiast rather another person on the "jdm bandwagon" Yeah they are expensive so what, take pride where you spend your money rather than go cheap and say i have the same thing. Quality cost money. Of course they are cheaper wheels that weight the same. Enkei rp01s wiegh around the same wieght. But guess what, they are original wheels. So i still stand in my opinon f**k fake wheels. Ill ride on stock wheels before i would buy a set of rotas, drags, nippon etc.

I cant see myself rocking rotas. I invested too much in my car to cheat myself on the wheels department. I started out with a set of konig heliums (which are cheap and light), but after hearing horror stories about them breaking, I decide to step my game up to "real" rims. I notice that lightweight and cheap doesn't go together well, so if you want some lightweight wheels, up the chesse. If you just want the look, go cheap.... I mean rota.

If you are patient you can find nice "real" rims for a good price. I paid $600 for my heliums w/tires. My current rims (mugen MR5s) I paid $300 w/tires. I always wanted a set of Watannbe's (or SSR RS-8's), but when Konig and rota made their versions I was temped, but i couldn't see myself rocking fakies again. Luckily I was patient and I found a set of SSR RS-8 for <$300 (cheaper than the knock-offs). Patients is the key, but most people lack that so they settle.

Quote Originally Posted by JDMjoe86
    Quality cost money.
    i am very aware of this...i have a laskey racing/benson/portflo longblock, full-race t3/t67ho, peakboost manifold, edelbrock manifold, edelbrock throttlebody, edelbrock rail, precision injectors hondata...you get the idea but my question to all you guys is how many of you actually use the spoons. i rock cheap wheels for daily driving. no use in ****ing up some good wheels. but when you guys take your car to the track what do you run on? and how do you feel when you curb a $300 wheel at the taco bell drive thru....i would feel bad at all about curbing a $96 drag dr-23....but i would be beside myself if i scratched a lenso vpd

Osaka Sokutatsu mocha latte cupcake's Avatar

JDM drops panties....

Fakies drop boxer briefs....

you choose.....

Quote Originally Posted by bigdare23
    If you are patient you can find nice "real" rims for a good price. I paid $600 for my heliums w/tires. My current rims (mugen MR5s) I paid $300 w/tires. I always wanted a set of Watannbe's (or SSR RS-8's), but when Konig and rota made their versions I was temped, but i couldn't see myself rocking fakies again. Luckily I was patient and I found a set of SSR RS-8 for <$300 (cheaper than the knock-offs). Patients is the key, but most people lack that so they settle.
    Ive seen your car at the varsity i think, i freakin love your wheels

Quote Originally Posted by JDMjoe86
    Ive seen your car at the varsity i think, i freakin love your wheels

Thanks homie

Thanks homie
    Its a red crx right???

Certified Gearhead

Quote Originally Posted by StuntallDay
    The argument has been made that ppl that buy the authentic wheels don't use them for the intended purposes but how many ppl rocking Rota's actually drive their car at track days?
    I've seen more Rotas than all the name other brands combined... but then again, maybe because I only go to the el cheapo JDM emulation track days.

Quote Originally Posted by StuntallDay
    IMO, ppl buy Rota's to emulate the "jdm look" but then are quick to point out the fact that ppl with the real deal wheels don't have them for the functionality when they are called out on having fake wheels.....
    I actually could care less what types of wheels people buy or for what reason. It's about stopping the spread of misinformation and elitist attitudes.

Buying expensive rims is kinda like making your car faster. Both really doesn't serve any purpose.

Why build a 500hp car when you can rarely use all the power? For s hits and giggles and because you can and want to.

Why buy $2k rims? For s hits and giggles and because you can and want to.

So there isnt much difference. Everyone has their own style.

Quote Originally Posted by japan4racing
    i am very aware of this...i have a laskey racing/benson/portflo longblock, full-race t3/t67ho, peakboost manifold, edelbrock manifold, edelbrock throttlebody, edelbrock rail, precision injectors hondata...you get the idea but my question to all you guys is how many of you actually use the spoons. i rock cheap wheels for daily driving. no use in ****ing up some good wheels. but when you guys take your car to the track what do you run on? and how do you feel when you curb a $300 wheel at the taco bell drive thru....i would feel bad at all about curbing a $96 drag dr-23....but i would be beside myself if i scratched a lenso vpd
    Again, i glad you put money into your performance, i just couldn't see myself rockin rotas on a car i put money into, its a jdm bandwagon like you said, daily drive oem wheels.

tr00f ^^^

i can buy my STOCK OEM wheels and be JDM too lol lol hooray for WorldWide wheels lol

i can buy my STOCK OEM wheels and be JDM too lol lol hooray for WorldWide wheels lol
    Yeah yeah, thinking about 4X114.3 conversion oem and jdm

OEM CTR is teh sex.... i'll have a honda one day to daily drive... and just OEM Jspec it lol... no real super mods... just clean and simple OEM+

I had have a JMD 2001 Honda Prelude 4WS Type S.

OMG I would be having sex with the exhaust.

But yes Im broke and crying cuz a JDM hood is not cheap. Really not cheap.

OEM CTR is teh sex.... i'll have a honda one day to daily drive... and just OEM Jspec it lol... no real super mods... just clean and simple OEM+
    I hear ya, my avatar says it all though lol
    Daily drive a ctr.......

Buying expensive rims is kinda like making your car faster. Both really doesn't serve any purpose.

Why build a 500hp car when you can rarely use all the power? For s hits and giggles and because you can and want to.

Why buy $2k rims? For s hits and giggles and because you can and want to.

So there isnt much difference. Everyone has their own style.
    i totally agree but im not gonna trash another person just becuse they are happy with a stock motor. im not gonna say i would never rock a stock motor..stock motors are too weak and cant handle the abuse i put them through...which takes me back to my original question....do any of you guys actually use these expensive wheels for racing or is it simply a look for you. becuase bottom line is if you are not using them for the performance aspect on the track then you are using them for attention/looks.

to be honest with you i could care less how you spend your money. i would rather drop a g or so on a turbo than on wheels but thats just me. i ahve damn good rims for the track and i have had no issues at all with my ****ty cheapo drag dr-23's...infact i am very pleased with them..they look great and do there job. it is all about the look anyways..regardless of what anyone says. i dont give a **** if theya re the strongest wheels on earth...if they had a 4 sided penis pattern and were pink and purple you guys would not rock them..no matter how jdm,,strong, or light they were

Ive had a set of rota c-8s on my car for about 3 years now, they have held up to high speed highway driving, dirt roads, country back roads and probably a hundred mountain runs. aside from a few knicks in the finish they still look the same as when i bought them. plus they look good, are light weight and fit the car well. i didnt buy them to have a "jdm" look, but more simply because i thought they fit the car.

Super Handling

Everyone wants the real deal, not everyone is willing to pay for it. So what if people want some nice looking wheels that are just replicas of real jdm wheels.

A lot of cars you see rolling around sport fake type err body accessories. I don't see anything demeaning about having replicas. Some of you act like you designed the original and others are profiting off of your wheel designs.

And I would rather roll on a set of Rotas than steelies, why? Cause I have a cheap daily driver, not some expensive, high performance, magazine worthy car, **** that, I enjoy my 40mpg.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast