PDA

View Full Version : needing CRX assistance

si''Vtekkin
12-09-2006, 01:40 PM
i have a 89 CRX dx that won't start,and the previous owner had a really pointless swap done to it,he kept the 1.5 block and replaced the head with a '99 dx head.any one with experience would know that there's no point in that swap beacuse its obd2 so all the components would be a bitch to match up from obdo-obd2 10 years is way too much of a time difference to fuck around with so i said why bother. any way, this ingenious mechanic with too much time on his hands might have managed to do the mpfi swap some what correctly.to the point where we got it to turn over with the '99 head on it holding the dizzy in a certain position .problem is,the only distributor ('91 si dizzy) that will hook up to the harness wont stay in bolting position on the '99 head.so far i have corrected the swap and got a complete 1.5 '91 si head back onto it with every thing finished. i just haven't fucked with the timing yet.i just wanted to know could the timing be that retarded or advanced to the point that it won't crank at all?
the car is in marietta if any one knows someone or somewhere i can get it towed to for a timing setting it would help.i need to get this project either running or sold.thanks for you time pm me if you want more info on the purchase

§treet_§peed
12-09-2006, 04:10 PM
bump

BTLFED
12-09-2006, 04:16 PM
What you are saying doesn't make any sense.

1st: a 91 Si head is a 1.6L head
Second: What intake manifold are you using, and ECU?
Third: It is even turning over?

toonz
12-09-2006, 05:07 PM
AWWW my head hurts LOL

Z U L8R
12-09-2006, 05:12 PM
timing belt = valve timing

distributor = ignition timing,

regardless of whether or not it gets spark when it's supposed to the motor should still be able to turn over without a problem as long as the valve timing is correct aka the timing belt's on correctly.

you may have flooded the motor aka hydrostatically locked it meaning the cylinder is full of fluid (coolant or gas or whatever) therefore the piston cannot travel upwards.

i really doubt that's your problem though, need more information

si''Vtekkin
12-09-2006, 06:11 PM
the engine rotates, but will not start.the car actually started when we turned the distributor towards the firewall.what i wanted to know was if the ignition timing could be screwed up to the point that the car won't start.

BTLFED
12-09-2006, 06:42 PM
the engine rotates, but will not start.the car actually started when we turned the distributor towards the firewall.what i wanted to know was if the ignition timing could be screwed up to the point that the car won't start.

Yes.

si''Vtekkin
12-09-2006, 07:03 PM
thank you MR.FED your time is appreciated.

Z U L8R
12-10-2006, 02:13 AM
lol , you said can the timing make it not "crank at all," not ,cranks but does not start.

BTLFED
12-10-2006, 08:53 AM
thank you MR.FED your time is appreciated.

If I can help anymore let me know. I know a little bit about CRXs. ;)

aaronfelipe
12-10-2006, 09:21 AM
I told you to buy mine. Way worth it now huh?

si''Vtekkin
12-10-2006, 06:28 PM
I told you to buy mine. Way worth it now huh?

could've been. but to tell you the truth i've spent a bout $345.63 on the car including the cost of the car itself soooooo. you really can't beat that.plus it needs NO BODY WORK .aka. NO BONDO FOR ME:goodjob:

si''Vtekkin
12-10-2006, 06:30 PM
lol , you said can the timing make it not "crank at all," not ,cranks but does not start.

oh, okay my bad. it gets confusing i'm a noob for sure.