PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods Answers 2 some simple turbo questions?

dakilla4ever
09-05-2006, 11:06 AM
Can anyone answer my questions. How much is you gas mileage effected when you turbo your car? Do you lose or gain mpg? After turbo will i be able to pass emisions? What will i have to do to make it handle daily driving? Or is it daily drivable? Any answers would be very helpful. -H23 LUDE

stealthrt
09-05-2006, 11:47 AM
When I turbo'd my car, I actually imporved my gas mileage. But that is mostly due to the fact that I tuned my car once becoming turbo. I daily drive my car every chance I get, but it is undoubtly down more often than it would have been had I left it NA.

Passing emmisions also became more dificult. The first year, I sat in the car while it was on the dyno (or whatever they call it) and tuned it to 15.0 (with an SAFC) to make it pass. After that, I upgraded turbos again and didn't even want to deal with it, so I registered my car out of the emissions area.

Now my car gets even better gas mileage (assuming I'm not too heavy on the throttle) because I have an even better fuel managment system. Right now My Maftpro will self adjust while cruising (as well as at WOT) to whatever AFR I tell it, so I usually cruise around with a 16.0 AFR. When I get on it, that mileage goes to shit.. but thats pretty obvious!

dakilla4ever
09-06-2006, 12:47 PM
But it is possible to pass emmisions? Just takes alot of time. How often was the car actually running as oppose to it being worked on.... like how many days out of the week was it being worked on compared to you being able to drive it? What kinda problems do you run into?

1439/2000
09-06-2006, 12:49 PM
Hmm well stock turbo cars pass emissions......

I know plenty of other na converted turbo cars that pass too.

HiPSI
09-06-2006, 01:14 PM
But it is possible to pass emmisions? Just takes alot of time. How often was the car actually running as oppose to it being worked on.... like how many days out of the week was it being worked on compared to you being able to drive it? What kinda problems do you run into?

passing emissions depends entirely on the EXACT setup of the car and the overall internal condition of the motor. nobody here can answer your question truthfully.

tony
09-06-2006, 01:30 PM
I dont know other setups but I know on my G35 my highway mileage went from 22mpg to 34mpg-36mpg after adding turbos.. Drove from my house in Douglasville to Charlotte on a 3rd of a tank of gas. It was my daily driver till I sold it.

As far as emissions goes, I'm not sure. My car never threw a code so I had no problems.

stealthrt
09-06-2006, 06:25 PM

Yes, It is possible. When I had my old turbos (MUCH smaller) My car ran probably 10 months out of the year. Now it is likely to see 6 months, although 3 of that was doing the custom setup / waiting on built engine.

Hmm well stock turbo cars pass emissions......

I know plenty of other na converted turbo cars that pass too.

Very true, and in my case I would have easily passed, But I was running larger injectors, SAFC, no EGR, no precats. So it was a little harder than usual. Not to mention the VR4 has problems passing on its own. Why do you think it is the car on the front of the "Guaranteed to pass emissions" stuff? :thinking:

dakilla4ever
09-07-2006, 02:13 AM
Ok so what would anyone recommend for a 95 Prelude Si? Ebay or Turbonetics? What would i need to do to my motor to prepare it for turbo? If by any chance there is a list os stuff i will need to complete this.....that would be very helpful. Preciate it.

dakilla4ever
09-07-2006, 02:19 AM
I was thinking
T3/T4 Turbonetics Kit
AEM Plug & Play ecu
Crower Stage 2 Turbo Camshafts
JE 9:1 Piston Kit
Crower Billet Connecting Rods
Crower Performance Spring & Retainer Kit
Skunk2 66mm Throttle Body
Venom Intake Manifold
Limited Slip Differential
Stage 2 Clutch
Fuel Pressure Regulator
Fuel Rail
Piston Ring Set
Head Gasket
Fuel Injectors
Performance Radiator
Radiator Fans
But this is just a wish list. College budgets don't agree with me and upgrades.

Five*Star*
09-07-2006, 03:21 AM
Get the Turbonetics kit, uberdata ecu, tune it, and call it a day. Don't try to do everything at once if you are in college. 8-10lbs boost on a tuned H23 will be plenty fast for a good while and you can see how much you like it before dumping a ton of money into, and then deciding that you are unhappy or tired with the project.

dakilla4ever
09-07-2006, 11:39 AM
I won't need to have the head gasket changed?

SPOOLIN
09-07-2006, 12:30 PM
nah, I and many other people use OEM headgaskets on 700+ hp applications.

my gas mileage went up or stayed the same on my last builds. 500-600whp. a bigger turbo will not spool as easy as a smaller turbo of course so the less you are in boost daily driving, the more stock amount of fuel is pumped into your engine. When you hit boost, that gas disappears like a fat kid gobbling creme pie.

mmm creme pie!!

scttydb411
09-08-2006, 12:40 AM
i just filled up on the way home tonight and got 37mpg. that was also trying to screw with my a/c system that went out and i had my car idling for probably 45 minutes or more on this tank so w/o doing that i could've squeezed out 38-40mpg maybe. 85whp stock motor making over 200whp daily driven.

dakilla4ever
09-08-2006, 01:05 AM
On what type of car? And what type of turbo kit? I heard i can get one cheap on ebay?

integra2die4
09-15-2006, 09:12 AM
On what type of car? And what type of turbo kit? I heard i can get one cheap on ebay?

The theory, "You get what you pay for", applies to purchasing a turbo setup. I believe the company, SSAutochrome builds some of the worst manifolds. Poor welds and craftsmanship. The sell their kits off of E-bay, the turbos arent that bad of ebay though, just stay away from those manifolds. This is all hear say. I would much rather save a little extra and get a better product. Good luck though. I just finished gathering all of my boost parts this afternoon. BOOST...Here I come!:ninja:

brads94accord
09-15-2006, 10:01 AM
The theory, "You get what you pay for", applies to purchasing a turbo setup. I believe the company, SSAutochrome builds some of the worst manifolds. Poor welds and craftsmanship. The sell their kits off of E-bay, the turbos arent that bad of ebay though, just stay away from those manifolds. This is all hear say. I would much rather save a little extra and get a better product. Good luck though. I just finished gathering all of my boost parts this afternoon. BOOST...Here I come!:ninja:

I'm gonna have to go w/ the other way around....ebay (ssautochrome) turbos are junk and their new manifolds they sell are alright. as long as they are braced properly they wont crack. i'm not saying they are the best thing out there but for a budget turbo kit they are pretty good.

my car went from around 350 miles out of a tank of gas(non highway) to around 250 miles...but thats because im running a t25 on a 2.2 liter so i'm in boost or almost in boost almost all the time. plus i haven't really ever gotten around to fine tuning my vacum half of my fuel maps to get good gas mileage. i just had my boost portion of my map and got lazy.

§treet_§peed
09-15-2006, 10:05 AM
hey Tony do you work at a car lot off P.Hill road??

twinj
09-15-2006, 11:08 PM
You can pass emission if you keep your set up simple. Don't try to shoot for some all out race type of deal. My gas is about the same and far as passing emission yes i can pass. I drive my car every single day. So yeah You can daily drive i only get on it hard when i am at hangouts and playing around. GET A PROFESSIONAL OR SHOP SO YOU WON'T HAVE ANY PROBLEMS. That is where alot of people mess up do it right the first time don't get cheap parts

dakilla4ever
09-16-2006, 03:50 AM
cool. so what do you recommend? Any particular brand or maybe i should get a muffler shop to make me a manifold for it. Does anyone know how much that cost, or have any ideas on the setup i should go with?

twinj
09-20-2006, 07:54 PM
Mainstream as the shop. As far as setup it depends on what you want

twinj
09-20-2006, 07:55 PM
Mainstream( they will do the mainifold and all fabrication) as the shop. As far as setup it depends on what you want to keep it dependable no more than 7Ibs. Everything else just depends on you and what you want out of it.

dakilla4ever
09-21-2006, 11:07 PM
Does anyone know how much a REV-HARD turbo manifold cost?

y-49
09-22-2006, 10:50 PM
i thought u were going all motor. lol boost is the way to go with a honda.

dakilla4ever
09-23-2006, 02:13 AM
Yeah well im still undecided. I want to go all motor but i dont know if i can still run 93 octane on a 13:1 compression motor. If i can i'm going with that. But if i cant then im gonna turbo it. Some dude told me tonight to turbo it now then when i blew the motor just rebuild it better. Rather than building it right the first time and not having to even think about it failing.

y-49
09-24-2006, 11:11 PM
there is no way in hell u can run pump gas with 13:1 compression. and i would just boost it safely, and then when u get the money build it better. i wouldnt blow it then build it. cause u will prolly mees alot of shit up. just boost like 7 lns and be safe. that is my .02

dakilla4ever
09-25-2006, 03:35 AM
So just put a turbo kit on my stock motor. Until i can build the motor?