Thread: 1984 sr5

Default 1984 sr5

1984 sr-5 Corrola.

Problem: Starts and runs fine but dies about 10 seconds after start-up.

Car sat for a yr from what I was told. I haven't touched the thing yet. Pickin' it up about an 30mins from where I live Sunday. I have went and seen car in person and heard it run. They claim they only added gas then drove around the block a couple times. Then it died. But it starts up fine, then just dies.

Basically, I don't wanna be over there all day checking every thing if maybe a toyota guru with these corrola's may know a common problem if they sit for some time. So a list of 1st checks would be greatly appericated.

Also, car ran perfect until they bought a new car, and that I can vouch for. Known them for years.

Thanks, IA. Tyler.
    "Damn, Its Tyler"
    RaceReadyDevelopments

check your fuel filter and fuel pump sock, because if it runs for a while and just dies then it sounds like one of those. my rx7 did the same thing. also when it dies does it just go out if you are in gear and you try to give it gas does it just not work?

Quote Originally Posted by TougeGTR-33 View Post
    check your fuel filter and fuel pump sock, because if it runs for a while and just dies then it sounds like one of those. my rx7 did the same thing. also when it dies does it just go out if you are in gear and you try to give it gas does it just not work?
    I didn't try driving it. It cranks up, runs, and then it dies.
    "Damn, Its Tyler"
    RaceReadyDevelopments

Def fuel related, or MAF. But check the fuel filter, or replace it you can get a new one from oreilys for like 3 bucks then check your actual pump sock and pump. then if thats not the case check the voltage to your MAF signal and power wire. if zero then thats your problem. Check them and get back to me. also check your fuel relay.

when it runs, does it run rough or good and then just die?

Def fuel related, or MAF. But check the fuel filter, or replace it you can get a new one from oreilys for like 3 bucks then check your actual pump sock and pump. then if thats not the case check the voltage to your MAF signal and power wire. if zero then thats your problem. Check them and get back to me. also check your fuel relay.

when it runs, does it run rough or good and then just die?
    I some what figured it would be fuel related. Um, we started it about 5 times. All those times, it ran fine. No knockin', skippin', etc. Idle was alittle high but I figured he was adjusting it to try and get it to run before I got there. It actually belongs to a old lady but her son thinks he knows anything and everything about a car. Thankfully he won't be there anymore.

I had planned on taking some fresh gas and draining the tank. But I'll also pick up a fuel filter. I hope the pump is fine.
    "Damn, Its Tyler"
    RaceReadyDevelopments

Gotcha. It shouldnt be the pump, but just do a good tune up on it and check all fuel related components, then we will go from there. pm me if you would like to get my number and I can help you out more.

Gotcha. It shouldnt be the pump, but just do a good tune up on it and check all fuel related components, then we will go from there. pm me if you would like to get my number and I can help you out more.
    Thanks, man. Oh and PM sent. Only great thing I did notice was the pump entry was right in the truck so no dropping the tank if it came to that.
    "Damn, Its Tyler"
    RaceReadyDevelopments

Yup! Its sooo great that some cars have it! I would hate to drop a fuel tank lol.

Yup! Its sooo great that some cars have it! I would hate to drop a fuel tank lol.
    I've dropped a many of them in my days of working on cars. More than half by myself. Will have that chest sore as crap the next day.
    "Damn, Its Tyler"
    RaceReadyDevelopments

IA Member

Default RE:

1) SR5 has no in-tank pump. It is mounted to the engine and runs off the camshaft.
    2) No fuel pump sock, either.
    3) Carburetor = No MAF

Tank also has a drain plug, which makes it super easy to remove (not that you should have to).